General AFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

And also I support Richo's possible solution to the congestion problem of three people in your F50 at all times. Seems drastic and a bit netball-esque but it would help enormously. Better than coming up with all these other rubbish ideas that aren't going to solve a thing (ie reducing the interchange).

I don't understand the Goodes situation or the outcry, I just don't.

I mean, Milne was labelled a rapist by many inside and outside the AFL industry, not much s**t was given to stop it.
Andrew Symonds was called a monkey, couple fines and rug sweeping because hey Indians, touchy subject.
Majak Daw gets racially abused at the VFL, hey it's the VFL, no cameras there let's just make an article and publish it in house. Neddy no no!
Goodes was racially abused by a 13 year old girl (probably under instruction or having been taught by her parents or media as per usual upbringing); what a bitch that 13 year old was, I mean, she should know better and have a grasp of the mother$$%n world!
Goodes gets booed constantly; totally racist, all of them, they're only doing it because he's a blackfella, dirty racist, CAMPAIGN! WE WILL FIGHT THEM AT THE GATES!
Cronulla hosts Australia's bogan beach parade; white people only, what year was it again?

Goodes is being precious as much as this is both an overreaction from all and sundry and an abhorrent situation if it is racially motivated. All involved need to HTFU and check themselves as far as I'm concerned. I mean s**t, I go as far as to golf clap at games because I'm there to watch footy and enjoy footy not give 2 shits what joe blow is doing 2 rows over or why #34 is slightly more tanned than #12. Who coincidentally get's verbally abused because he has tear ducts that get activated... I retract my previous statements, AFL fans need to STFU and go to games to be completely silent, not mutter a thing because they might insult someone. I will still however enjoy footy because then I can golf clap botch sides for putting on a spectacle for my enjoyment and not get weird looks as if I'm a heathen because I'm not tribal at a game.

I think the whole thing has become a farce. Goodes needs to stop whinging, there's not one single indigenous player being booed apart from him and yet he's still going around calling the whole country racist. The AFL now getting involved trying to tell people to stop is just beyond a joke. What's next are people going to be ejected for booing? Madness all round.

TBH... StFly has it right to an extent.

Firstly, what actually is a "boo"? Leaving aside's Beyonce's definition,

boo 1
(bo͞o)
n. pl. boos
A sound uttered to show contempt, scorn, or disapproval.
2. Informal Any sound or word: You never said boo to me about overtime.
interj.
Used to express contempt, scorn, or disapproval or to frighten or surprise another.
v. booed, boo·ing, boos
v.intr.
To utter a boo.
v.tr.
To express contempt, scorn, or disapproval of by booing: booed the singer off the stage.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/boo

To be honest, if someone booed me, I'd give them the finger and walk away. Many players have been booed in the past, including Riewoldt. Doesn't mean it's racist.

But, hey, if someone is so upset by it, by all means people should stop doing it. Sometimes it's not so much about what is being said but how it is perceived by the receiver. So, the spectators should just drop it, even if they didn't mean anything nasty by it.

Goodes is a w***er and people hate him > Goodes get booed > Goodes uses the fact he's Aboriginal to get the media/SJW to berate anyone who boo's him and call them racist > people get more pissed off and boo him more > media shitstorm intensifies > people get more pissed off >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Roo, Ablett, Judd and countless others have all been booed in their careers. There was no emergency AFL HQ meeting to stop that.

You are a public figure, you have been paid millions of dollars over your career to compensate you in part for being a public figure, like many others before you, you have been booed. Deal with it.

It's a fascinating subject, the booing issue.

Merrick on his radio show on MMM came out and said he booed Stevie Milne and yelled out stuff that he'd never consider repeating on a radio show, completely justified his actions. But said to boo Goodes is not on as kids go to the football and you cannot possibly be subjecting your children to the booing of Goodes. How he can't see how messed up that is is probably part of the problem. o_O

I rarely, if ever boo at the football, so the will I or won't I boo question isn't one that I need to answer myself. But I really dislike Adam Goodes, I also dislike the fact that I am being told by anyone that the fact I dislike Adam is due to racial undertones. No, no it is not.

I applaud him on his work that he has done to promote the Aboriginal community, I even have no issues with him naming and shaming anyone for racially vilifying him - even if that person is a very ill informed 13 year old girl. That sort of stuff is not on, in any form.

I don't like him due to the way he has played football over the past few years, and his demeanour towards the umpires out on the field. For this reason, I also have a lot less respect for Joel Selwood, half of West Coasts list and even Scott Pendlebury (after his 7 or 8 frees he acted for when he played us this year). I don't like how everything that is said and done is related to his race, and seemingly only his race.

Stuart Broad's demeanour and behaviours cause people to boo him, I find the booing of Broad to be very very similar to the booing of Goodes, I am still not sure why the focus has to be on Adams race.

BUT, if Goodes has taken it this way, and it is now considered that any type of booing must be construed as a racial slur - then the booing should stop. This man clearly has a number of issues which I hope he is getting the right type of help for. The sad thing about all of this is that once all is said and done and Goodes has long retired, he won't be remembered as a 2 time Brownlow medalist, or a 2 time Premiership player (who mind you used to be a gun footballer), instead, this will be his legacy and this focus on either being a sook, a flog or a dirty winging footballer will probably be how many people will remember him. It's a shame really.

From my perspective there seems to be two main points which are being combined together.

The first is if booing players should be allowed (Buckley's perspective). Some people think that it should be but the football community as a whole seem to be ok with it. Paddy Rider is a good example of this.

The other is if it is racist. Anyone who suggests that the vast majority of people booing Goodes are racist are clearly wrong - we can ignore this argument. However, there is a current trend in Western culture that if someone feel like your actions against them are a certain way then they must be. The eye of the beholder ideology. If you believe in this theory then the booing is racist because it is now clear that Goodes feels this way. If you disagree with this theory then it is not racist.

In my opinion the "Goodes debate" is really based around this ideology. It is an ideology which has crept in to Australian law without many people realising it and it is interesting, as an observer, to see people react to it now it is a public issue. I hope Goodes does not walk out of the game so that this debate can continue.

For the record I think this ideology is complete crap - I see too many cases of it being abused - but I also don't like booing as a general rule.

Last edited:
Im not saying booing goodes is ok or not ok. But personally i think its a bit silly to boo him. Sure he may be a bit of a tosser but he is a great player. But im probably a bit Meh! about it i guess.
I prefer to just worry about my own clubs players and i witnessed some horrible stuff yelled out & chanted to some of our players that no other clubs supporters or the AFL seemed to give two shits about.

I don't like Adam Goodes because he's a slider & I'm sick of people claiming that that has become a 'cop out line' for people that are being racist.... Here's a frame by frame sequence of Goodes sliding in & taking out Easton Wood earlier this year. Seriously, Wood is lucky he doesn't have 2 broken legs... And Easton Wood didn't even get a free kick for this either FFS! :eek: (Sorry bout the quality of pics, it's the best I could do :( )

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Im a firm believer in equality... Booing players because their trying to stand up for their beliefs is disgusting.
Whether its sexism or racism or general thuggery its unacceptable by society now and if your not against these types of things thsn your part of the problem.
No one is saying you have to act like an angel at the football but it still shocks and baffles me how so many normal every day people can become so verbally violent and histerical its just ridiculous.
Adam Goodes is an absolute champion of this game and i admire the way he stands up for what he believes in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it may not have been racist in the past but if it happens from now it most certainly is imo.

It's a tricky issue because I'm sure most aren't intending it that way, but Goodes has made it extremely clear that he thinks it is, and when it's something so apparent and negative like the booing is that should surely be enough to get people to stop it.

Booing is fine, but it needs to relate to something that's happened in the game. Or recently at the least. James Hird didn't get booed for that long so the entire 'we boo because he's a flog' rationale doesn't stand up because of he and the other flogs that barely copped it.

The 'other indigenous players don't get booed' also falls down because Goodes became the focal point when he took a stand and afterwards received Aus of the Year. He's a prominent representative of that community because of it. Other guys don't have that (Jetta may now) so it's not a fair comparison.

Whatever your thoughts I just hope it doesn't happen anymore. It's affecting him and he's a champion of the game, nobody honestly deserves the treatment he's copping.

Last edited:
People are fooling themselves if they think its not because an Aboriginal guy has the gall to stand up for himself rather then just cop it.

I hope Goodes continues to stand up for himself and more and more Australians face the racist undercurrent this country attempts to ignore.

This whole topic infuriates me. This is the media's fault. Yes, we know there is a racism topic here but who decided everyone is booing him because he is aboriginal? Also, who decided that because it's Adam Goodes getting booed it has to be about race? Riewoldt gets booed a lot because I have heard opposition supporters say 'he's a sook, we don't like him or he is a protected player' yet that is never commented on. Carey, Hird, Buckley were all booed at some stage throughout their careers. Point being there are a number of reasons why he could be booed. It shits me that journos like Robbo say 'don't tell me it's not a racist thing'. So Robbo knows what everyone's thinking? Bullshit. Also, Adam is upset by booing? Good god, how would have handled it if had played 20 years ago? Not that was something he should have to put up with but look at Nicky. He copped some pretty bad stuff and what did he do? He said he is proud and played even better. The media are fueling the Fire here, no doubt. People just won't go anymore if you can't boo the opposition and why all of a sudden if it is bad to boo an individual or team anyway? The whole thing is so confusing. The game is slowly dying and losing its identity bit by bit. All the new rules, the way the game is played and now this PC bullshit, my patience is wearing thin.

I don't like Adam Goodes because he's a slider & I'm sick of people claiming that that has become a 'cop out line' for people that are being racist.... Here's a frame by frame sequence of Goodes sliding in & taking out Easton Wood earlier this year. Seriously, Wood is lucky he doesn't have 2 broken legs... And Easton Wood didn't even get a free kick for this either FFS! :eek: (Sorry bout the quality of pics, it's the best I could do :( )

View attachment 157074
View attachment 157075
View attachment 157076
View attachment 157077
View attachment 157078
View attachment 157079
Can i just point out Rors that none of what Goodes has done is anywhere close to being as dirty a player as our own Steven Baker was yet none of us criticize him with so much virile.

Can i just point out Rors that none of what Goodes has done is anywhere close to being as dirty a player as our own Steven Baker was yet none of us criticize him with so much virile.

The difference with Baker, though, is that he never made a tirade about any vilification towards him.

Yes, Goodes was racially taunted, and I don't really have any qualms with him for singling out that girl; ignorance is not an excuse for such behaviour in the modern society. However, it is his actions thereafter that are what make him distinct from Baker, Milne etc. in that any vitriol directed towards him was instantly labelled as racist by himself and the army of Social Justice Warriors that he incited into overdrive mode. This is despite all general signs indicating that this is not the case, and the people attacking him with racial undertones are much, much rarer than he makes them out to be.

Of course, there will be some people that criticise him purely on racial terms, and there will also be some people that criticise his questionable actions more readily or more harshly on said racial terms. But, having said that, I am firmly of the belief that a large majority of criticism directed towards Goodes is due to his dirtiness as a player, his attitude on field, and, most of all, his incessant whining and playing of the victim card.

If it were an inverse situation, and this was primarily a racial issue, or even a large degree of racial basis, then we would see vilification of other indigenous players to bear at least a modicum of resemblance to that of Goodes' treatment. But we don't.
The thing that differs Adam from those that do not receive such abuse is not his racial background, it's because he carries on like a spoilt, whinging flog.

I'll keep it simple.

Don't like booing in general. Detracts from sport viewing experience. Lazy, crude, unimaginative and most of the time unwarranted. I understand that most booing is done based on things within the sport itself.

The particular and consistent booing of Adam Goodes leaves a sour taste in my mouth, not because I necessarily disagree with the numerous assessments made of him (to name a couple, Whinger and potentially dangerous or dirty play), but because it provides an excuse and cover for the bona fide racists out there.

Same in most sports. I sometimes make an exception for Broad as it is quite funny. But it's the same, watching the ICC soccer and seeing 80k+ crowds booing Raheem Sterling. For starters, the only fans of the game anywhere, anytime, who'd have any reason to boo him with any sort of justification are Liverpool fans. Then there's the fact that they're playing in Australia amd getting these boos. 90% of the Liverpool fans here would be as plastic as a shopping bag. Plus he's black English, so it does provide cover for racists too a la Goodes.

That got off track. Don't like booing in general, and consequently, especially dislike the continued booing of Goodes because it protects genuine racists from being found and gotten rid of.

The difference with Baker, though, is that he never made a tirade about any vilification towards him.

Yes, Goodes was racially taunted, and I don't really have any qualms with him for singling out that girl; ignorance is not an excuse for such behaviour in the modern society. However, it is his actions thereafter that are what make him distinct from Baker, Milne etc. in that any vitriol directed towards him was instantly labelled as racist by himself and the army of Social Justice Warriors that he incited into overdrive mode. This is despite all general signs indicating that this is not the case, and the people attacking him with racial undertones are much, much rarer than he makes them out to be.

Of course, there will be some people that criticise him purely on racial terms, and there will also be some people that criticise his questionable actions more readily or more harshly on said racial terms. But, having said that, I am firmly of the belief that a large majority of criticism directed towards Goodes is due to his dirtiness as a player, his attitude on field, and, most of all, his incessant whining and playing of the victim card.

If it were an inverse situation, and this was primarily a racial issue, or even a large degree of racial basis, then we would see vilification of other indigenous players to bear at least a modicum of resemblance to that of Goodes' treatment. But we don't.
The thing that differs Adam from those that do not receive such abuse is not his racial background, it's because he carries on like a spoilt, whinging flog.
Sorry but no one gave a damn about goodes before the racial vilification issue started. The reason we dont see the other indigenous players is because the others have not been as culturally vocal and critical like Goodes. People critisise Goodes for "pointing out a 13 year old girl". What was he meant to do? Just keep on copping it until the end of time so that we can pat ourselves on the back about how ******* tolerant we are? Why the * should he? You wouldn't tolerate being called a cracker by a bunch of black people just once so why should he endure it? This country is RACIST mate, the sooner we actually admit it on a national level the sooner we can start to actually deal with it.

And honestly do you think that Jetta did what he did on the weekend because he thinks its all "overblown"? Of course not. This country loves to sweep Aboriginal people under the rug and pretend they dont exist. Its about time we start allowing them to have a voice just as loud as everyone elses without being told to quieten down.

I hope more racists are outed. I hope more imaginary spears are thrown. I hope more players come out and back each other.

What other current player gets consistently booed at every stadium he plays out week in, week out? You can name a number of players off the top of your head that play in the style that seems to incite this reaction (diving, sliding, whatever) and none of them cop the same treatment from the crowd at every match.

The only other players in recent memory that played in front of a hostile crowd consistently were Milne and Jobe, and both of those were for off-field incidents. Personal feelings for Goodes aside, the majority of the football-attending public don't care about diving enough to make it a repeated behaviour trait, otherwise Joel Selwood and Lindsay Thomas would get the same treatment at every stadium they attend.

But they don't. Because there are clearly other issues at play.

Either people are upset at being called out on their racism or they're upset at Goodes taking a strong political stance on an issue that he deals with every week. I've seen comments along the line of 'we just don't like when people get political', which is a rubbish excuse, especially when someone is dealing with this emotional burden. We have a history here of forcing Aboriginal culture to assimilate into our own, seen again by media comments that Goodes and Jetta's celebrations were 'too aggressive' or something of that nature, just because they were celebrating a culture that we don't understand. I feel like we see what is occurring in the US as something that only exists there, and refuse to acknowledge the racism here because it occurs on a disproportionate scale.

There's no way around the fact that the booing occurred on a consistent basis from the day Goodes became very vocal about the racial vilification he's experienced. We also can't dismiss the fact that football fans were ejected at last week's game for racial taunts - which is not a one-off occurrence.

Whether you like Adam Goodes or not, booing him in public allows the racist minority to hide in the hostile chorus, while they desperately try to hold onto some sort of logical reasoning for their behaviour. Maybe it's just a minority, but it's arguably there, and if you can do something to oppose it... why not? Especially when it's something as simple as just shutting up at the footy.

There is one thing great about all this hullabaloo about booing Goodes. It has led to a number of wonderful responses from posters on this forum and SS. Nutsngum, Saintlex and others; thank you for giving me faith that all's not lost in Australia with your beautiful posts.

To encourage this kind of debate is so important for the country and i think anyone who hates racism, and abhors racism in Australia, regardless of what they think of Goodes, owes him their gratitude.

There is one thing great about all this hullabaloo about booing Goodes. It has led to a number of wonderful responses from posters on this forum and SS. Nutsngum, Saintlex and others; thank you for giving me faith that all's not lost in Australia with your beautiful posts.

To encourage this kind of debate is so important for the country and i think anyone who hates racism, and abhors racism in Australia, regardless of what they think of Goodes, owes him their gratitude.
None the least of which because the consequences he suffers and will suffer for calling that girl the face of racism in Australia are far more severe than what she suffered.

Sorry but no one gave a damn about goodes before the racial vilification issue started. The reason we dont see the other indigenous players is because the others have not been as culturally vocal and critical like Goodes. People critisise Goodes for "pointing out a 13 year old girl". What was he meant to do? Just keep on copping it until the end of time so that we can pat ourselves on the back about how ******* tolerant we are? Why the **** should he? You wouldn't tolerate being called a cracker by a bunch of black people just once so why should he endure it? This country is RACIST mate, the sooner we actually admit it on a national level the sooner we can start to actually deal with it.

Goodes at the time said:
"Racism has a face. It's a 13-year-old girl."

He didn't point out the 13 year old, he shamed the buggery out of her and made her the face of racism for the time, where, as you'd assume, the 13 year old immediately apologised and stated that she had no idea "ape" was racist, and her mother immediately went victim stating that Vicpol and staff grilled the minor individually before ejecting her, and then called for the grandmother when they finally understood "wait; she's a minor!" Goodes is then on record as saying he flash backed to being bullied at school and it wa snot what was said because he has been called an ape or monkey before, but it was because it was the 13 year old girl who had said it.

So basiclaly she was racist and he was ageist? But it's ok because she shot first?

True. But my point was more that if he does things like this in a game then he should expect opposition supporters to boo him. However, the boing is now most certainly out of hand. He's let it get to him & he's now convinced himself that it is racially motivated, which at the start it no doubt had nothing to do with racism. The media exposure on this has snowballed it into one of the biggest avalanches the AFL has ever seen. If he interprets it at racism, then it is racism, but the colour of his skin doesn't change the fact that I think he's a knee sliding, free kick milking, soft utensil flog (in more recent times). Sure in the past he's been an absolute gun worthy of 2 Brownlows, but more recently, I cannot stand the way he plays - it's selfish & bruise-free.

And FWIW, I used to boo Nathan Buckley.... Not because he was a gun player, not because I didn't like him, it was because he is responsible for one of the most disgusting acts I've ever seen on a football field & that was when he wiped his own blood onto Cameron Ling because he was frustrated with Ling's tagging.... that's just something from my perspective that I cannot just let slide, regardless of the fact I don't barrack for Geelong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back