Review Geelong defeats Gold Coast by 120 points @KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Cockatoo is becoming a wrecking ball for opposition defences. He is a freakishly powerful athlete, creating contests in the air and on the ground that other players would not make. He will create panic for defenders.

Goodness me, he is going to be scary when he develops a bit more.

The only negative of the night for me was old mate about 5 rows back giving it the 'FREE KICK HAWTHORN' every time an umpire blew the whistle.

One way traffic.. so nice to see a trouncing like that. Tomahawk was massive, Danger, Sel, Harry, Hendo, Menz, Duncs. A long list of best players. A real fun game. Something the boys can refer to when asking "what works works for us?" Although a very undermanned Suns team.

So glad that Lang made the most of the late inclusion. What a squad!

We never got smashed except in a certain gf. But I don't think there has been a premier who during the season got smashed? We got smashed by Coll in 2008 and look what happened that year.
2009 we had poor late season form and some bad losses. Carlton and Bulldogs I think? It happens. The Hawks got thrashed by Richmond during one of their flag years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well of that was pretty good, I am getting a sense of what sort of player Cockatoo can become - wow.

Negatives - Vardy as usual not enough of the ball. Duncan needs to pull his head in.
Duncan? In what way?

Cockatoo is becoming a wrecking ball for opposition defences. He is a freakishly powerful athlete, creating contests in the air and on the ground that other players would not make. He will create panic for defenders.

Absolutely.

I think now we actually need to keep him inside 50 for most of the game even though he is really a midfielder. His defensive pressure is a weapon. Give him bursts in the midfield to develop him.

Ha really is hard at it. Still a little reckless in some instances like collecting somebody high in that first quarter, which could have dangerous. I get the feeling there could be a couple more rough conduct charges heading his way but love his attack on man and ball.

Yeah but Duncan is consistently a bit careless about it, in my view.

He gave away 5 last night (at least 2 of which were simply flat out incorrect decisions when an unsighted umpire guessed wrong). He has given away 4 free kicks twice in 120 odd games.
Selwood gives away 30-35% more free kicks than Duncan.

Well, that was an enjoyable night at the football.

Clearly we are starting to click. The midfield - aside from the Essendon game - has been getting better and better each week. So pleasing to see Duncan, Caddy and Guthrie rack up classy possessions when the spotlight is always on Joel and Paddy.

And speaking of the skipper - he almost deserves a toast thread. Barely had a pre-season, in serious doubt for round one for months yet six rounds in he has three BOG performances (v Brisbane, Port, GC). Danger is right up there in Brownlow favouritism but Joel is going to steal plenty of votes from him....

I am feeling extremely vindicated after backing Motlop and Hendo to improve. Motlop has been getting better each week and was back to his best last night - it's like his pace has returned. And Hendo has clearly found his feet alongside Harry, Boris and Lonergan. In the pre-season and early rounds he was going for the spoil every time. Now he's flying for contested marks and taking them more often than not. A sign of hugely improved confidence.

Motlop and McCarthy add so much to our forward line and Hawkins is relishing not being the focus every single time.

Thinking about it on the way home, there's no team I fear. The Hawks are still intimidating but clearly not the team they were. I feel that at our best we can match NM, Sydney and West Coast. I have my doubts about the Bulldogs and Crows being there when the whips are cracking.

Basically, this flag race is wide open. If the perennially injured in Menz, McCarthy, Smith and Stanley (plus Vardy) can stay fit, we have depth and versatility that we haven't had since our last premiership year. I am cautiously optimistic.

I am not taking a lot out of that win-we were very good but I felt the opposition pressure was barely existent. The reality is we have beaten a lot of poor to middling teams in the last month, who we should beat if we are a finals side. The next 2weeks against genuine contenders will tell us more about where we are at.

That said for me the positives were the improvement in a number of guys. Henderson in particular who looks really at home now and his movements are starting to remind me of Rivers-he is slow of speed but quick of mind, seems to anticipate where the ball is going and gets in a great position to take intercept marks. I am happy with Kolo's progress but I still think his best realistic chance of playing at the business end this year is if Lonergan gets Milburn-2011'd, I don't think he will be getting picked ahead of Hendo.

Apart from the usual Danger-Selwood duo Smith was very good and is starting to find more form, Motlop is clearly fitter now and benefiting from it, surprise surprise Hawkins plays much better when he stops trying to wrestle everybody and just attacks the footy. I thought Caddy was very good in the contest and he is really benefiting from us having a better midfield. Blicavs did a great defensive job through the middle-much of it went unnoticed to a lot of people I would suspect, but it was important. Menzel is really starting to look like he can recapture his best again.

And Kersten was very good-I think I was wrong about him. What seems to becoming clearer is his importance to our structure-he leads well at speed and becomes a good link between the mids and the deep forwards and he contributes a lot defensively. Certainly he and Stanley are both much better options for our forward structure than Vardy I think.

Vardy was probably the only disappointment for me. I don't like singling out players and he has had a lot of injuries so he will improve the more footy he plays this year, but at the point he doesn't time his leaps well enough or body well enough in the ruck, and he gets caught ball watching up forward and doesn't contribute enough defensively. I look at the side from last night and I see real depth across most lines-one of Kolo or Lonergan will probably miss out at the business end, one of Bews or Ruggles, at least one or two of Lang/Gregson/Cockatoo/McCarthy will be missing out if we have a fully fit side, but the one area we are still thin is if Smith or Stanley are injured as Vardy is the only backup for them. I wouldn't be confident in him replacing either at the moment if we had to play a final-hopefully this changes. What we need to do is rest Smith or Stanley when we play bottom 4 teams to manage them and try and prevent that happening.

He gave away 5 last night (at least 2 of which were simply flat out incorrect decisions when an unsighted umpire guessed wrong). He has given away 4 free kicks twice in 120 odd games.
Selwood gives away 30-35% more free kicks than Duncan.

I am not talking about Selwood I am taking about Duncan.

How many free kicks isn't relevant either, I am saying he is a bit careless about it.

The only negative of the night for me was old mate about 5 rows back giving it the 'FREE KICK HAWTHORN' every time an umpire blew the whistle.
I some one behind me who yelled out

'THAT'S THE HIGHWAY TO THE DANGER ZONE'
EVERY. SINGLE.TIME he got a kick down our end

Remove this Banner Ad

Back