2014/15 Sheffield Shield Final- Victoria v Western Australia, Hobart Mar 21-25

Who will win the 2014/15 Sheffield Shield?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I started to think that as well today, maybe WA should have bowled first, there is more chance of chasing 350 off 50 overs than taking 10 wickets on the last day, its much harder for a team to try and break through a batting lineup that can defend all day but you can definitely score runs quickly, even if the field goes defensive you can score 5-6 an over without trouble.

Then todays declaration, as you said just like a typical shield match, set a difficult target instead of setting one the opposition might be inclined to chase, as long as Victoria was a chance of winning then they would be in 2 minds about attack or defence, once they eliminated any hope of Victoria winning by batting on it became all about blocking out the day on a flat pitch

Victoria were NEVER going to chase the runs whatever they were set. Why would they. If WA declared at last nights score they still would not have chased the runs, because they did not have to. even after losing a couple of wickets they shut up shop.
Wade 9 runs of 99 balls. Hussey 37 runs of 169 balls.
I don't agree WA should have fielded first. runs on the board are significant. I doubt many captains whose team finished second on the ladder (meaning they have to win outright) would put the opposition in to bat after winning the toss.
Congratulations to Victoria as they played the game as it needed to be played to win the final.
Additionally, I will wager tomorrow's game (India V Australia)will result in whomever wins the toss, will bat.

Common Sense approach would be to follow the rules set before the tournament for situations like this.

As correctly happened with the Big Bash.

I was arguing about this well before the final so I don't see how it is sour grapes
Didn't see you arguing it during the game, only after defeat. The right outcome was arrived at. And they moved the BB final to a neutral venue, not the team that finished 2nd, a venue that wasn't available for the shield final.

Definitely a hollow victory for Victoria.
Just for you and your fellow WA whiners

6a00d8341c6d1d53ef0147e0bfbec1970b-300wi

;)

P.S Maybe WA could try something wacky next season - FINISH ON TOP OF THE LADDER !!!

But I like the idea that the best team all year gets the advantages, if they choke or the 2nd team is good enough to overcome all the odds then good luck to them.
The problem is, and this was probably bigger under the old system, is the advantage can be massively disproportionate to the difference between first and second on the ladder. But there's not really anything that can be done about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now to look at the shield final from an Australian Perspective

Victoria

Chris Rogers - In pretty decent touch and ready for the upcoming test series against the Windies
Marcus Stoinis - I have my doubts about him making the next level but he's consistently scoring runs though didn't convert any of his 7-8 half centuries. Should be in the A team tour of India and a good series there may have him in contention to replace Rogers.
Peter Handscomb - had a massive season this year. He is a good player of spin and has to be in the Australia A team. Could be in line for a test spot when Clarke retires.
Peter Siddle - In good form since getting dropped in the test team. Given the fitness concerns with out frontline quicks should be considered as a reserve fast bowler for the Ashes squad.
James Pattinson - Actually getting pretty concerned about his fitness.
Fawad Ahmed - I don't think he has the game for test cricket but at this point he has earned the right to have a go if Lyon gets injured during the Ashes.

Western Australia
Cameron Bancroft - shown he has a very good defensive game but is unable to push up the runrate when it is required. That's something a few more seasons of shield cricket should fix. Should be in the A team.
Marcus Harris - showed that he has the talent to succeed and just needs to gain consistency. Is only 22 so that should come. Should be in the A team.
Adam Voges - It's pretty hard to keep him out of the test team now. Whilst he is 35 he does look like he will be around for 2-3 more years so could be a good transition option for the test team given that all of Rogers, Clarke, Watson and Haddin can probably be expected to retire/get moved out of the team in the near future.
Shaun Marsh - He is still scoring runs but not really enough to confirm if he's the best option or not.
Sam Whiteman - Didn't take many catches or stumpings but this final was the best I've seen him keep in a while. He seriously struggled in the first half of the season but he's managed to get through that and has improved as a player. Should be in the A team
Ashton Agar - Very good second half of the season and has improved with bat and ball. Should be in the A team.
Nathan Coulter-Nile - Has struggled with injury this season but has kept up his pace and bowled a few good spells today.
When is the A tour? Couldn't find anything on cricinfo about it.

You've admitted several times over the past week that the rule was ignored because of the world cup.

Hence your statement is wrong.
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't NSW host it in Canberra?

No they didn't. Seriously you lot are delusional, are you brainwashed over there?

Yes they did.

There are no provisions in the rule for 'exceptional circumstances'.

Mainly because a state's inability to host a match is an exceptional circumstance in the first place.

WA didn't need any rules bended for them to host that match

i dont understand this argument and have seen this alluded to in recent posts. can someone explain why the vics had rules relaxed for the final?

i mean, if you are on top of the league at seasons end you host the final right?

At least when we won the One Day and 20/20 finals this season we actually, you know, won the game.

Any Shield Final won by draw needs an * next to it IMO.

like this?
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/357528.html

i dont understand this argument and have seen this alluded to in recent posts. can someone explain why the vics had rules relaxed for the final?

i mean, if you are on top of the league at seasons end you host the final right?

like this?
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/357528.html

The rule states that if you can't find a stadium in your home state to host the final, the team that finishes second gets to host.

Victoria were unable to do so (which is why the match was in Hobart).

But CA decided to ignore their own rule.

Back