List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No matter what we need a quality key fwd at years end. The best we can get.

At this stage Stanley probably only worth a 3rd rounder.

I don't think there's any point in us worrying about what GWS get or don't get. That horse has bolted. It bolted when all the clubs agreed to the concessions the AFL were planning to give them.

If we finish last and it pushes them to 2nd last, what does that achieve? They'd still be able to get one of Wright or McCartin and play them in the ruck, or down back.

If we're going to try and match GWS draft pick for draft pick, we're going to lose, unless we plan on coming last for about the next 5 years, by which time we'll well and truly be the new Melbourne and we'll have pissed away the winning culture that we built up over a ten year period, the likes of which we've probably never had in our 100+ year history of losing.

"Need" by definition suggests that something is essential. That if we get it it will "guarantee" us something. What will more top 3 or top 20 draft picks guarantee us?

From where I'm sitting, all it will guarantee us is that we can then say we've had x-amount of top 3 and top 20 draft picks, just like teams like Melbourne and Carlton can, after the bucketload of those they've had between them in the past 11 years (Pick 1: M Kruezer, B Gibbs, M Murphy, T Scully, J Watts. Pick 2: A Walker, J Trengove. Pick 3: C Sylvia. Pick 4: J Kennedy, C Morton, J Toumpas, Pick 5: B McLean. Pick 6: C Yarran. Pick 9: J Russell, C Salem, Pick 11: J Gysberts, T Menzel. Pick 12: K Lucas, N Jones, J Frawley, L Cook, Pick 13: M Bate, P Cripps Pick 14: J Grimes. Pick 15: L Dunn. Pick 17: S Hampson, S Blease. Pick 18: L Tapscott, M Watson. Pick 19: S Grigg, J Strauss. Pick 20: P Bower- That's 32 of them. 8 top-3 and 32 top-20 picks between 2 clubs over an 11 year period. 4 top-3 and 18 top-20 picks for Melbourne alone.) And if there are two teams I don't see being a genuine shot at a premiership any time in the near future, it's those two, after building up losing cultures over the years and also being run over by the karma-bus for trying to manipulate the system and thinking it would pay off, or be some miracle cure-all for their ills.

On the other hand, there are other teams that are in with a huge shot at a premiership year after year, who have much less top 3 or top 20 picks between them, but who do more than enough other things well to ensure that they don't "need" them.

I would have thought that means we only "need" them ourselves if we aren't doing enough of those other things (such as development, maintaining a winning culture, strategies/game plan, opposition analysis, fitness/strength/durability, injury-management, welfare, culture, talent identification, trading, etc) well enough.

All good points and well researched, you could exchange many players for better selections, but Melb stuffed it up with Clark, Dawes etc. Oh yeah, Nick Nat the obvious game changer, ala Richmond and Franklin.

We NEED Peter Wright, superstar material.

Agree with this, but he's another player that any team needs to be very patient with. I'm concerned about his size and injury issues, especially since he has dealt with those issues so early. One positive is that with all these injuries, I'm not sure anyone has seen just how good he can be when fully healthy.

I'm interested to know who we will trade ala Big Boy to give us 3-4 picks in the top 20 at the end of the year.
Our rebuild will take another 3 drafts, we need to manage expectations and keep paying our membership, we don't need fans slagging off at games and social media if we are losing. We need top 3 talent along with added top 20, the last thing we need is Wright or McCartin ending up at GWS and turned into defenders or a leading ruck man.
Re the trade bait, I'm thinking Armitage and Stanley would be at the head of the queue at this stage.
Do you honestly think Stanley and Armitage can get us top 20 picks? We'd be lucky to get a top 40 pick for them.

Do you honestly think Stanley and Armitage can get us top 20 picks? We'd be lucky to get a top 40 pick for them.
The only players we'll get Top 20 picks for on our list currently besides 2013 recruits is Jack Steven, possibly Joey and Roo also. All the rest won't get us Top 20 picks especially considering it is a "Strong" draft why would teams trade away top selections for Armitage, Gilbert, Stanley etc.

I think that Armitage is easily a top 20 pick by himself and I'd guess could be in the 10-15 pick range. Stanley wouldn't be unless he has an amazing 2014, but if he did we wouldn't trade him anyway (unless he wants to leave).

I think that Armitage is easily a top 20 pick by himself and I'd guess could be in the 10-15 pick range. Stanley wouldn't be unless he has an amazing 2014, but if he did we wouldn't trade him anyway (unless he wants to leave).
Are you joking? Fair enough Armo was a former #9 pick himself. But no way is a team going to come and pay a Top 20 selection for him on his current career performances.. They can easily go to the VFL or another state league and pick up someone who can give them pretty much the same as what Armo has currently done, or just go into the draft themselves and pick up a midfielder who could probably be a big upgrade on David.

I like Armitage but i think people are overrating his trade value, he'll need a BIG year in 2014 to be worth a Top 20 selection IMO. If it does come to 2014 trade period and we do in fact look at trading David and get a top 20 selection i'd be rapt just at the moment i don't think he is worth it. Very inconsistent

Are you joking? Fair enough Armo was a former #9 pick himself. But no way is a team going to come and pay a Top 20 selection for him on his current career performances.. They can easily go to the VFL or another state league and pick up someone who can give them pretty much the same as what Armo has currently done, or just go into the draft themselves and pick up a midfielder who could probably be a big upgrade on David.

I like Armitage but i think people are overrating his trade value, he'll need a BIG year in 2014 to be worth a Top 20 selection IMO. If it does come to 2014 trade period and we do in fact look at trading David and get a top 20 selection i'd be rapt just at the moment i don't think he is worth it. Very inconsistent

Worst post I think I have seen on BF.

Armo is a nice player but you could probably get a midfielder as good as him with a pick in the 40's or even the VFL. He's not an elite level player that gets you those early picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Armo is a nice player but you could probably get a midfielder as good as him with a pick in the 40's or even the VFL. He's not an elite level player that gets you those early picks.
My thoughts exactly. Even some of our supporters last year said if we traded him we could get Adam Cockie who could dish up similar.

Please tell me what David Armitage has done besides being a former #9 selection to warrant a club trading a Top 20 selection for him? you "Melbourne" supporter.

Dont know that I ever said he was worth a top 20 but I defanatley know he is far better than anyone in the VFL and would be a walk up start in every AFL team.

Dont know that I ever said he was worth a top 20 but I defanatley know he is far better than anyone in the VFL and would be a walk up start in every AFL team.
That statement by me was probably stupid, but i still stand by my comments on not rating his worth as a Top 20 pick. He'll need a big 2014 if he is to be worth that i think anyway

He had the 18th most tackles in the league and had the 4th best tackle efficiency of any player to play more than half a season last year, all while playing in a team that was ranked 18th for tackles. He was also rates above average for disposals, metres gained, clearances, centre clearances, score involvements and pressure applied. His kicking dropped off a bit last year but it isn't a major issue.

Armo's main issue is that he can still be a bit inconsistent, but despite that he still managed an average of 92.4 SC points last year. If he can sort that out then he would be a welcome addition to any team. I can see a team that is in looking to start/prolong their flag run and needs to add depth or is replacing a retiring inside mid being more than willing to part with a top 20 pick for him. He still has room for improvement and will be around for another 4 years easily.

Maybe we should put Armo in the VFL for a week so he can get schooled by all those VFL players that are as good as him.

He had the 18th most tackles in the league and had the 4th best tackle efficiency of any player to play more than half a season last year, all while playing in a team that was ranked 18th for tackles. He was also rates above average for disposals, metres gained, clearances, centre clearances, score involvements and pressure applied. His kicking dropped off a bit last year but it isn't a major issue.

Armo's main issue is that he can still be a bit inconsistent, but despite that he still managed an average of 92.4 SC points last year. If he can sort that out then he would be a welcome addition to any team. I can see a team that is in looking to start/prolong their flag run and needs to add depth or is replacing a retiring inside mid being more than willing to part with a top 20 pick for him. He still has room for improvement and will be around for another 4 years easily.

Maybe we should put Armo in the VFL for a week so he can get schooled by all those VFL players that are as good as him.
Fair enough, i still don't see him netting us a Top 20 pick, just talking now not what he produces in 2014 as if he improves more and becomes a lot more consistent without a doubt could net us a Top 20 pick i think.

My VFL/State league comment was stupid. We'll see i guess

I just think if a team wants a midfielder similar to David they could go into the draft and probably snag one few years younger who could possibly turn into a elite mid with that Top 20 pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back