2015 Draft, Trade & Free Agent Discussion & Speculation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without moving players on, Port cant afford him. To land Dixon they would definitely have to move Lobbe, and likely have to move another decent player. They maxxed out th3 card on Ryder

This call makes it much more likely we are in the hunt IMO.

Nevertheless, with Vickery's continuity there is talk of Richmond moving Griffiths. A lot of deficiencies yes, but would be great for us as he would be a competitive as a fwd and relief ruckman (essentially takes Griff/Clarke spot). Fairly young, booming kick and can mark.

Must admit I don't know much about this Adams guy. Why was he not drafted at 18 if he's so good? I mean he could be the next Harry Taylor or the next Tom Lee. I'm just a bit curious given he wasn't even talked about last year. Of all our mature aged recruits (over 20) all bar Ballas, Spurr and Barlow have eventually proven to be spuds. High risk taking a 22 year old in the first two rounds of the draft on most occasions I'd say.

Last edited:

Must admit I don't know much about this Adams guy. Why was he not drafted at 18 if he's so good? I mean he could be the next Harry Taylor or the next Tom Lee. I'm just a bit curious given he wasn't even talked about last year. Of all our mature aged recruits (over 20) all bar Ballas and Barlow have eventually proven to be massive spuds. High risk taking a 22 year old in the first two rounds of the draft on most occasions I'd say.
Bigs/Talls are notorious late bloomers is probably the reason

Must admit I don't know much about this Adams guy. Why was he not drafted at 18 if he's so good? I mean he could be the next Harry Taylor or the next Tom Lee. I'm just a bit curious given he wasn't even talked about last year. Of all our mature aged recruits (over 20) all bar Ballas and Barlow have eventually proven to be massive spuds. High risk taking a 22 year old in the first two rounds of the draft on most occasions I'd say.

You talking about Marcus? If so;

1. He's not 'that' good as you put it. I don't think anyone is rating him the next champion are they? I've seen a bit of him and mentioned him on here before but never as a potential star, merely as a list improver and/or depth. Why wasn't he drafted at 18? Well firstly he hasn't been nominated, secondly I'd ask you, why wasn't Priddis picked as an 18 yo, or Barlow or Sinclair or Taylor....etc, etc...
2. Somewhere in between Harry Taylor and Tom Lee I'd suggest. Maybe more towards Lee though.
3. Broughton did well (picked up as a 22 yo) and was one of our better players in his first two years with us.
4. He was talked about last year but he didn't nominate.
5. Certainly don't think he deserves to be taken in the first two rounds of the draft, and not by us. We're desperate for tall talent but not that desperate I suspect. A late pick or early rookie IMO

My understanding is that he quit footy for 2 years after his older brother Luke suffered that nasty head injury in Northbridge one night as he was helping with caring and rehab. West Perth managed to convince him to give it another shot at the start of 2014 I think.

Anyone think Clarke would make a decent CHB? Is tall, good speed off the mark, endurance, great mark. I think he has challenges with leading patterns etc, so if he just had to follow his man, he will be lead to the ball. This would allow us to continue to develop APearce as a forward.

I think if we win the flag Pav, McP and Sandi will retire. Maybe also DPearce, Crowley, Duff..

With out looking at drafting/trading, I think our side would look like this.

Spurr Dawson Johno
Ibbo Clarke Sutty
Hill Fyfe sherro
Croz tabs Walters
Mayne AP balla
Griff Mundy Neale
Barlow Wellar Muz Blakely

Anyone think Clarke would make a decent CHB? Is tall, good speed off the mark, endurance, great mark. I think he has challenges with leading patterns etc, so if he just had to follow his man, he will be lead to the ball. This would allow us to continue to develop APearce as a forward.

No, not strong enough 1 v 1 IMO. I doubt his speed would hold up for the whole match either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Spurr McPharlin Ibbotson
HB: Sutcliffe A.Pearce Johnson
C: Hill Fyfe Jetta
HF: Crozier Lynch Walters
F: Howe Pavlich Mayne
Foll: Sandilands Mundy Neale
Int: Barlow, D.Pearce, Sheridan, Ballantyne

My slightly more realistic than unrealisric dream team for next season haha

I think if we win the flag Pav, McP and Sandi will retire. Maybe also DPearce, Crowley, Duff..

With out looking at drafting/trading, I think our side would look like this.

Spurr Dawson Johno
Ibbo Clarke Sutty
Hill Fyfe sherro
Croz tabs Walters
Mayne AP balla
Griff Mundy Neale
Barlow Wellar Muz Blakely

Definitely no

Mzungu, Broughton, Spurr and even Silvagni I wouldn't call massive spuds.

Spurr I'll give you. The others are definitely spuds, maybe not massive spuds but still spuds.

Respectable role players but ideally not part of the best 22. About what you'd expect from mature agers I'd have thought. I do agree that I wouldn't want to select one in the first couple of rounds though unless he was someone the recruiters have no doubt would be an instant contributor for the senior team.

My understanding is that he quit footy for 2 years after his older brother Luke suffered that nasty head injury in Northbridge one night as he was helping with caring and rehab. West Perth managed to convince him to give it another shot at the start of 2014 I think.
Thanks, I do remember a similar story now you mention it. That would make me much more confident in selecting him tbh. It's not like he's been overlooked over and over for 5+ years. As great as a few of our mature angers have been the success rate is still quite low. (Even if we as a club do it better than most)

Respectable role players but ideally not part of the best 22. About what you'd expect from mature agers I'd have thought. I do agree that I wouldn't want to select one in the first couple of rounds though unless he was someone the recruiters have no doubt would be an instant contributor for the senior team.
I think that's it. No issue if we draft one high and they're a gun. Taylor, Ballantyne, Jetta and I.Smith go alright. Every year there's one or two guys that go right up there as mature agers. I've just got doubts over Adams. If he is so good why wasn't he picked up last year?

[QUO="Docker82, post: 40475692, member: 144228"]Thanks, I do remember a similar story now you mention it. That would make me much more confident in selecting him tbh. It's not like he's been overlooked over and over for 5+ years. As great as a few of our mature angers have been the success rate is still quite low. (Even if we as a club do it better than most)[/QUOTE]
Talls always take time to develop, and with our first pick next year we would still have to be lucky to snare a quality
key position player.
imagine if we had rookied Jeremy McGovern.

Talls always take time to develop, and with our first pick next year we would still have to be lucky to snare a quality
key position player.
imagine if we had rookied Jeremy McGovern.
This line gets used a lot and it's true but it's certainly not the only reason such talls weren't selected in the first place...

McGovern was drafted as a teenager. He took time but he was still drafted as a teenager.

Spurr I'll give you. I knew I forgot someone. The others were good for a while but the limitations that saw them not drafted in the first place have ultimately showed over time.

While they're always going to be limited I think the success rate justifies it. Getting even an 18-25 level role player from a draft pick is actually a pretty good result. In the 2nd and 3rd rounds you get more guys who never make it than don't.

2017 is when he's coming to his absolute prime. Mitchell and hodge may not be there anymore but a recruit like wingard keeps them at the top.

I just think it's ridiculous that AFL sprout the evenness of the competition and how teams will have there turn. Clearly this is not the case with this new world of free agency they have created. (Especially if rumours are true they want to reel in the years before being eligible for restricted free agency).

To your point about attitude, I don't actually mind it, that sort of thing should be embraced. The great players play with a level or arrogance knowing that they are better than the rest. Buddy has it, hawthorn's mids have it and players like Carey had it (although you could argue he still thinks like it).

The AFL haven't created the free agency situation. If they (and the clubs) had their way there wouldn't be free agency at all, or a very limited one. The whole FA thing comes from the AFLPA (and most of their players too of course).

But with the genie out of the bottle, if the AFL are really keen to maintain some 'equal playing field' in the FA market, they have to start giving some sort of extra cap space etc. (as they do/did for GWS/GC/Syd) to the other non Vic based teams. As is becoming apparent, the non Vic clubs have a disadvantage in a number of ways in the FA market. Perhaps give non Vic clubs special allocation for 'relocation' costs that only apply to FA or something to help even things out.

Of course people like Eddie would have an aneurysm over it, but it is what's needed in the medium term at least I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back