List Mgmt. 2015 Draft, Trades and Retirements Thread Pt 1

WISH LIST: If we could trade for the following players, who should we get?

• Will Minson (Ruck)

Votes: 21 16.0%
  • Ryan Schoenmakers (CHB)

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • Zac Dawson (CHB)

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • Matt Suckling (HBF)

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • Shaun Hampson (Ruck)

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Brian Lake (FB)

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Sam Gilbert (CHB)

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • Matt Leuenberger (Ruck)

Votes: 43 32.8%
  • Tom Bellchambers (Ruck)

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • Courtenay Dempsey (CHB)

• Zac Smith (Ruck)

Votes: 23 17.6%
  • Trent McKenzie (Mid)

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Steve Johnson (Fwd)

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • Nathan Wilson (HBF)

• Jake Carlisle (CHB)

Votes: 22 16.8%
  • Adam Treloar (Mid)

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Harley Bennell

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Jeremy McGovern (Def) (Re-signed with WCE)

Votes: 20 15.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Johnson's defensive chasing isn't good enough, his late form was ok (not amazing) but his form early in the year was quite poor....and it's very possible he'll drop further next year, we're better off short and long term giving that position to a younger player, we need to start regenerating the list with these guys and giving them chances. Old players who are well past their best shouldn't even be given 1 second of consideration.
He'd be an ok get for a Richmond or something but we're carrying enough older guys and will still have quite a few 30+ players next year...we don't need top ups like some other premiership contenders we need a little bit of regeneration.

Leuenburger would be an ok get, but only at the right price, his injury history is dodgy and concerning, we don't need another large chunk of cap space taken on a player like that. He'll obviously coast more than $340k, but we should be able to lure him with a reasonably decent offer and decent playing opportunity and the potential success carrot, but if he just wants to go to the highest bidder than we do really need to walk away and look at someone else. We'll still have Pyke as back up next year, so we don't 100% need a top liner but as long as it's someone we think can develop into a pretty decent player over the next 12 months (e.g a Zac Smith type).

Not sure why we should get a ruck. Tippett is clearly playing his best football in the ruck. Not only is he getting more of the ball as a sixth midfielder, he is kicking more goals from the ruck than he was at Full Forward.
I agree. He's doing well and it seems to have improved the team balance. We need a mature KPD more.

Stevie J done at the Cats, lets get him in as that small forward. would cost nothing. Averaged 20 possies and kicked 17 goals in his last 7 games.
Am just trying to imagine Buddy & Stevie J in the same side. Suspect would lead to utter confusion for them as they wouldn't know who to take out.:D

Why the constant insistence by people to have Tippett as the number 1 ruck?

It wasn't so long ago that people were carrying on that he wasn't performing enough when he took the weight of the ruck duties. The last few weeks he has primarily been leading from the goal square and kicking multiple goals. That's where he should be.

Not this constant "Oh we can have Tippett as number 1 ruck" rubbish.

Not at all opposed to the idea of poaching a veteran from another club for cheap, and still rate Stevie J, but he plays at the wrong end of the ground. Defender/ruck is priority.
I'd pick a defender over a ruck at the moment.

We could go with Tippett and Naismith/Nankrvious if we had to next year. But a key back is priority 1

Why the constant insistence by people to have Tippett as the number 1 ruck? The last few weeks he has primarily been leading from the goal square and kicking multiple goals. That's where he should be.
Because he has been playing his best footy in that role. Maybe he was injured and he has now got over that injury; I don't know. But there is no denying that he has been playing much better since playing this role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because he has been playing his best footy in that role. Maybe he was injured and he has now got over that injury; I don't know. But there is no denying that he has been playing much better since playing this role.

He was serviceable at a time when he was needed. He is not the first choice ruckman. Bit part ruckman at best.

3+ goals in the forward lining destroying the second choice defender is where he should be and stay.

No way would Membrey be ahead of Heeney, different player. Membrey wouldnt have played this year with Goodes playing on.
Maybe. But both atm would have been playing the small forward role. Heeney would move more midfield over time (next year and almost certainly in 2017).

Of those 6 players you listed, 5 wont be playing next year. Would easily be best 22 next season and maybe even now.

Considering our depth problems, we shouldnt have gotten rid of him for nothing
He barely played, can hardly command much for someone like that. You guys should be popping champagne corks celebrating that Pies tool White and Armstrong and GWS took Lamb. All spuds and list cloggers. We've got Heeney, Mills and hopefully Dunkley coming in. We are laughing lads, chin up!

From an outsider looking in (my wife & her friends are mad Swans supporters so I see you guys quite a bit + I do live in Sydney), first & foremost you need a #1 ruckman & 2nd an elite ball user or 2 out of defence, 3rd a key defender.

Swans structure up so much better when McVeigh goes to half back. This is where I've noticed how much you've missed Malceski's kicking this season. When teams apply hard pressure, the Swans lesser skilled kickers out of defence, like Shaw (retiring anyway), Laidler, Richards (to an extent) & Nick Smith are very prone to turning the ball over by foot. With the addition of Heeney to your midfield possibly next year or the year after, McVeigh must be played off halfback, more suitably in the quarterback role Malceski used to play. Another player to look at would be Nathan Wilson from GWS who would be a suitable replacement for Shaw as your running attacking half back & is arguably a better kick than retiring Rhys. If you wre looking for a more senior type in this role, Andrew Mackie or Paul Duffield are both elite users of a footy too

As for ruckmen, I think you just need a ruck that will win hit outs to advantage & take intercepting marks around the ground. While every team wants a Mumford, Nic Nat or Sam Jacobs, they are few & far between. Your midfield is good enough to shark opposition rucks & Tippett isn't a bad ruckman, he just needs someone to belt him around a bit before the game to get him to play angry, cos when he plays angry, he is dominant wherever he plays. If you are super keen on grabbing someone to play as a full time ruckman, why not look at Zac Smith, Tom Bellchamber as a cheaper option to what Kruezer or Leuenberger are asking.

Anyways, back to my own board & our very fanciful list management strategies... Hope I've provided some useful outsider info :)

Nathan Wilson is clearly talented but if he was going to play across HB, he'd need to do a lot of work in terms of strength and positional play to not be a liability. James Rose beat him easily for his mark and goal in his debut and a couple of Carlton smalls beat him in marking contests easily too last week.

Has a lot of talent though. We could make it work with him although I think he'll get offers larger than $350k from other clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back