2015 Non Freo discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon you are giving Goodes way too much credit.

Which is pretty much what a lot of people are saying about Goodes.
Grass isn't greener on the other side of the fence - its the same shade of brown.

I reckon people don't even know why they dislike him and they keep looking for reasons to do so but if they really asked themselves why they do, they won't have much to hold up.

Its weird the hate for Goodes. I never particularly liked or disliked him. My mum thought he was hot thats about it. I dont remember people really hating until the Australian of the year thing and 13yroldgirlgate. Are they the main reasons or is there something deeper.

Don't hate him as much as others, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion on a person regardless of whoever they are and how good they are and nobody has to like someone just because they are a good player or whatever reason they might churn out.

Its weird the hate for Goodes. I never particularly liked or disliked him. My mum thought he was hot thats about it. I dont remember people really hating until the Australian of the year thing and 13yroldgirlgate. Are they the main reasons or is there something deeper.

I don't either. I agree it's really stemmed from the 13 year old girl thing. I wonder if people would still hate him if it was a 40 year old man instead of a 13 year old girl? Perhaps the general public don't like how he targeted a young girl. I don't think he realised she was so young until after he pointed it out.

I didn't like the way he played footy, playing for free kicks, flapping his arms like Dean Cox.
I didn't like his pointing out a 13 yr old girl last yr, but gave him the benefit of the doubt, he probably didn't know. His reaction after was very good.

I didn't like his Australian of the Year speech, thought it was utterly divisive, and when he spoke of his Mother being part of the stolen generation.

She came from South Australia, which the state’s Supreme Court found in 2007 never had a policy of removing children simply because they were Aboriginal. In SA children had to be signed away by their parents, not the definition of 'stolen'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't either. I agree it's really stemmed from the 13 year old girl thing. I wonder if people would still hate him if it was a 40 year old man instead of a 13 year old girl? Perhaps the general public don't like how he targeted a young girl. I don't think he realised she was so young until after he pointed it out.
That's the question, isn't it.
Ask yourself... did he care.
People throw around the term "campaigner" around here and it's become a nothing word. But it still means something, doesn't it?

I said somewhere else - It isn't that he wants to highlight indigenous rights. I have nothing against that.
It's when, where, and how.

That is how I measure a man.
I don't give a flying * what colour he is.

A man is a man, and I'm not going to subscribe to any notion that a man is more than what he is, due to the colour of his skin.
Adam Goodes is a politician, using his status as a sports star to further his cause. That is why I don't like him.
Sometimes, you just have to ask yourself who the real racists are.

It's really ******* annoying because I do respect Goodes for his efforts to stand up for aboriginal culture. I sometimes wish more aboriginal footballers would do it, to break this fixation we seem to have on the rare one that does advocate (outside of pithy channel 7 indigenous round promo pieces).

But at the same time when my memories of Goodes the footballer are of him throwing his arms out and then grabbing his cheek to plead his case for a free, even back to 07ish.

Yet in any discussion of it, a dislike of Adam Goodes the footballer inevitably ends up conflated with a racist view towards aboriginal people. It is, frankly, too much of a minefield to bother with.

I don't think i'll boo Adam Goodes, even though I want to, because I think it provides an outlet and a misplaced sense of rightness for those who do dislike him purely for his aboriginality (or more correctly his advocacy in that regard). But at the same time, i'm not really sure if I really respect him as a footballer, if you can in fact separate that from the man.

She came from South Australia, which the state’s Supreme Court found in 2007 never had a policy of removing children simply because they were Aboriginal. In SA children had to be signed away by their parents, not the definition of 'stolen'
Well the royal commission report says otherwise. Should be required reading for all Australians.

Why is Goodes not allowed to point out some little s**t racially abusing him.

The same reason minors aren't named in most legal matters. Publicly humiliating a minor in front of the country is a harsh punishment and is likely to do more harm than good to them. There's also a question about whether a minor would know the racial implications of that particular insult

The same reason minors aren't named in most legal matters. Publicly humiliating a minor in front of the country is a harsh punishment and is likely to do more harm than good to them. There's also a question about whether a minor would know the racial implications of that particular insult
Doesnt mean he has to put up with it.

By all means he can celebrate his culture, but the way he targeted the Carlton fans was not the right way to go about it.

It's fuel to the fire. Which can be a good thing or a bad thing.

It will certainly rile up those who are genuine racist flogs and cement their views. On the other hand it makes damn well sure his cause and feelings are front and centre and we can't sweep the issue of casual racism under the rug so easily.

Objective achieved? Maybe, it sure made me uncomfortable, but he is just a man caught up in the emotions of a football game after all.

He's no worse than Sonny has been for the past few years, or even when Pav went through that spell of a few years feigning for free kicks.

Yeah, for sure.

But equally I can disapprove of their actions in the same way I am sure many Eagles fans disapprove of Cox's in his last couple of years. Feeds into the point that it is so difficult to separate the man from the footballer I guess.

Yeah, for sure.

But equally I can disapprove of their actions in the same way I am sure many Eagles fans disapprove of Cox's in his last couple of years. Feeds into the point that it is so difficult to separate the man from the footballer I guess.
It is hard. All this stuff is hard because unless you're aware of it, the emotional feeling of something is often more persuasive than the actual facts of the matter. People keep feeding the emotions and it colours their perceptions. Separating myth from reality just gets harder then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back