2015 Non Freo discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

When I was in primary school I had very little interaction or experience of indigenous people, I only knew about them through horrible racist jokes. I don't think they made me racist as an adult but I was biased towards a point of view as a child.
If you're at an age where you have no idea what racism means then I don't think you were racist. Ignorance is different to racism. Of course they are not mutually exclusive, some people can be ignorant and racist, but in your case, I don't think you were both.

If you're at an age where you have no idea what racism means then I don't think you were racist. Ignorance is different to racism. Of course they are not mutually exclusive, some people can be ignorant and racist, but in your case, I don't think you were both.
The foundations for the stereotyping is built there.

Warning, apolitical post follows. Those interested in post-modernist interpretations of racial stereotypes should read no further

I looked at the swans draw after the game and the hardest part of their draw is already behind them. Have the hawks in sydney, plus maybe geelong and north away as the only problem games for the rest of the year. They should finish top 2

It's a real tricky one because it is completely variable by how it is interpreted by the receiver.

How would a big hairy, gangly bloke like Josh Kennedy at West Coast or another bearded bloke like Malcieski at the Suns take getting called a monkey? They would probably just laugh at it. The remarks would not be racist because they are white, but it is the same remark.

The unkempt hairy looks they have, have a lot more to do with it than the skin color in my opinion, the same unkempt look Goodes had at the time. That is why the young girl yelled it out.

Goodes being more sensitive to the background of racial history took great offence but it was not how it was intended.

Eddie McGuire should have been hung drawn and quartered however. His actions were unforgivable for a learned person, that had been so heavily involved in resolving the original issue after it happened.

Warning, apolitical post follows. Those interested in post-modernist interpretations of racial stereotypes should read no further

I looked at the swans draw after the game and the hardest part of their draw is already behind them. Have the hawks in sydney, plus maybe geelong and north away as the only problem games for the rest of the year. They should finish top 2
I kinda hope so. I'd feel so much more confident playing Sydney at the G rather than Hawthorn. I just don't even want to play them in the finals. Someone else knock them out for us :p

I kinda hope so. I'd feel so much more confident playing Sydney at the G rather than Hawthorn. I just don't even want to play them in the finals. Someone else knock them out for us :p

I agree, that's why I was glad sydney knocked hawthorn off last week, Lots of people saying that it would have been better if the hawks won and we have a 3 game break on both teams, but to me I'd rather hawthorn finished outside the top 2 so sydney winning was a bonus for us

I can understand the former but don't think anyone could present a worthwhile argument for the latter.

Really? My experience is exactly the same as Taylor's. I grew up with loads of racist jokes and just assumed those stereotypes were factual. It wasn't until I met Indigenous kids in high school that I realised I'd been had.

I'd have thought racist jokes are a very effective way of spreading racist ideology.

I would hate it if opposition supporters booed our indigenous players. A lot if it imo stems from jealousy. Jealous that they can only watch on from their seats with their meat pie and beer. Jealousy can bring out the worst in people.

The "poor intimidated Carlton fans" line is a bit mystifying.

Mickey O was far more imposing, and no-body denies Fat Daniel probably copped what he deserved.

1304479433957.jpg

Goodes just did the same thing to some floggish crowd members, albeit in a slightly more creative (albeit cringeworthy) manner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah if a large group of oppositioned supporters were booing one of oyr players like that at subi I would steamed I think.

Last year, when we booed Harvey, I learnt that booing can have the opposite to desired effect. Harvey had a great game against us.
I reckon Goodes is using the energy generated by the booing to play better. His war dance showed how much it fired him up. Good on him.

I genuinely thought that was for miners.... Disclaimer: born in the 90's
Haha, maybe it was just local slang? A lot of guys used to refer to the Torres Straits Islanders that way in the Pilbara.

Great guys, great workers and great rugby players (the TIs that is).

It's a real tricky one because it is completely variable by how it is interpreted by the receiver.

How would a big hairy, gangly bloke like Josh Kennedy at West Coast or another bearded bloke like Malcieski at the Suns take getting called a monkey? They would probably just laugh at it. The remarks would not be racist because they are white, but it is the same remark.

The unkempt hairy looks they have, have a lot more to do with it than the skin color in my opinion, the same unkempt look Goodes had at the time. That is why the young girl yelled it out.

Goodes being more sensitive to the background of racial history took great offence but it was not how it was intended.

Eddie McGuire should have been hung drawn and quartered however. His actions were unforgivable for a learned person, that had been so heavily involved in resolving the original issue after it happened.

I remember as a kid we would playfully call our dad a gorilla or and ape or a monkey...or any primate for that matter. That was because he was (still is for that matter) a hairy man who at times was short tempered. It wasn't considered overly derogatory and was actually enjoyed by our old man. There wasn't and underlying meaning to it nor any real malice. The key differences here though are the fact that he is Caucasian and we were less than 10 years old with no understanding of what racism was let alone how such terms could be used in that sense.

My question is whether a 13 year old has enough comprehension of not only racism and racist slurs but has the social awareness and understanding of the ramifications they bring. On that point I was never comfortably sure (as in she very well might have but there's also a number of reasons why she didn't /couldn't) she understood the racist connotation of that term and how it could hurt and I thought Goodes, whilst understandably upset, also went a little over the line by bringing it to media attention and sorting it out in a public scene rather than keeping it behind closed doors. I thought that could do more harm than good to the girl and as such may put others offside on an issue where we don't need any more animosity. Although I don't really think he did this for any narcissistic or "flogish" reason, I think it was just genuinely to bring the supporter racism discussion back to media attention and certainly don't see why he should be booed because of it.

Other than that and maybe some of his diving onfield (but thats an indiscriminate pet hate of mine) I always thought Goodes was a great ambassador for the indigenous community, used his Australian of the year title for the benefit of promoting indigenous issues and on a whole is a great of the game.

Agreed on the Eddie McGuire point.

I loved the war cry myself. Perfect way to celebrate indigenous round from a champion footballer who is clearly incredibly proud of his culture. Don't understand all the booing myself.

I loved the war cry myself. Perfect way to celebrate indigenous round from a champion footballer who is clearly incredibly proud of his culture. Don't understand all the booing myself.

No problem if it was pre-game directed at opposition team ala the Haka... mid game and directed at opposition supporters can be viewed as divisive and inciting the crowd

No problem if it was pre-game directed at opposition team ala the Haka... mid game and directed at opposition supporters can be viewed as divisive and inciting the crowd
How do you feel about Walters's dance?

Yeah I didn't see anything wrong with it, was clearly premeditated for mine, not anything but a celebration of his cultural background. Outspoken people in society always have opposition and support, Harry O (the man formerly known as) a perfect example. Often enough it doesn't even matter what the message. Good on him I say, but you can't have it both ways. If he is going to put himself out there like that, he can't winge about the attention it leads to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back