List Mgmt. 2015 TRADE discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would for sure. Off load Dawes for a token pick somewhere and we're halfway home. 1st and Watts get the deal done?

I'd take that, but if Shiel is going, you can sure there will be an auction on personal terms between about all of the teams. Remember, with the AFL's 'anything goes' salary cap rules, you can front-, side- or middle-load deals.

I'd take that, but if Shiel is going, you can sure there will be an auction on personal terms between about all of the teams. Remember, with the AFL's 'anything goes' salary cap rules, you can front-, side- or middle-load deals.
How many other teams have s**t enough lists to be able to offer him the mil though? I reckon we're a more attractive destination than Carlton and StKilda.

You've seen the Buddy deal, right ? With the AFL's "no rules" salary cap, you can do anything.
Yeah I guess you can expand the list out to Richmond. I don't see many teams going over the odds to the extent we can nor to many teams need to for a star mid like we do. In the end though I think most importantly Melbourne need to have a half decent season to make guys want to come here beyond just the giant bag of cash.

Nobody really knows. Theres rumours in both directions, and a sign of the floggishness of a fan base is shown by just how certain they are that Shiel is going to them.

I honestly suspect his manager has told him 'Mate, theres contract offers for you in the 600k range. On the other hand, in three years the Giants are going to win a flag, and you saw out the tough years. Make your mind up and this is wrapped up in a week'.

And he hasnt.

If that is indeed the case, then fair play to Shiel - his value is skyrocketing by the week.

I would be surprised if he leaves for anything less than 750k for 5 years.

And I hope we are the ones to pay it!

Going to be very very hard to prize some of the Giants young guns away now me thinks (unless they have contracted $cully fever or we offer a stupid Boyd 7 year deal type arrangement). They are playing brilliant footy right now, seem to be really coming together as a team and enjoying it.

Id look at the GC if we are after raping a young team of its Victorian talent for a semi-decent price, Dion Prestia come on down.

In the end though i think guys like Sloane are far more gettable (25yo or older, looking for one big contract/4-5 year deal 650 - 700k per year before 30) and maybe even more worthwhile with the leadership he would bring to our group.

Dont get me wrong though, if we could get Treloar or Shiel i would gizz, just think now we will have to pay up big time to land a young kid like either of them, 750k seems reasonable to me, i think it would be closer to 1 million per year though, remembering we payed Clark 800k +.

Last edited:
Going to be very very hard to prize some of the Giants young guns away now me thinks (unless they have contracted $cully fever or we offer a stupid Boyd 7 year deal type arrangement). They are playing brilliant footy right now, seem to be really coming together as a team and enjoying it.

Id look at the GC if we are after raping a young team of its Victorian talent for a semi-decent price, Dion Prestia come on down.

In the end though i think guys like Sloane are far more gettable (25yo or older, looking for one big contract/4-5 year deal 650 - 700k per year before 30) and maybe even more worthwhile with the leadership he would bring to our group.

Dont get me wrong though, if we could get Treloar or Shiel i would gizz, just think now we will have to pay up big time to land a young kid like either of them, 750k seems reasonable to me, i think it would be closer to 1 million per year though, remembering we payed Clark 800k +.

I like this idea.

I like this idea.

Unfortunately I think we're a better chance with the GWS blokes. If by some chance Eade is still around at the end of the year, I think the last thing he'll be looking to do is offload one of the few consistently good young players on the list.

I think it would be a disaster if we offer 1 player a million a year contract. We are not a club that could cover that if he went down with a long term injury or heaven forbid wanted out after a year or two on our list. We need to go after fringe players from the top clubs ie; Newton & Mitchie. It gives us depth, improves our list. I would go after 2 500k type players instead of going after the big mill a year player. I don't want dangerfield not worth the price tag but I'll have 2 more Bernie's please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately I think we're a better chance with the GWS blokes. If by some chance Eade is still around at the end of the year, I think the last thing he'll be looking to do is offload one of the few consistently good young players on the list.
Going through the Giants' list...

Phil Davis - No
Curtly Hampton - Unlikely
Stephen Coniglio - Unlikely, if he's going he's going to WA
Toby Greene - Doubtful from both ends
Dylan Shiel - Mega offer needed
Lachie Whitfield - A possibility?
Rhys Palmer - No
Callan Ward - No
Tom $cully - I reckon he'd be available (and worth it at the right price too)
Devon Smith - Won't be traded
Jed Lamb - Very interesting. Was PSD from the Swans. A possibility.
Jonno Patton - No
Paul Ahern - Only drafted last year, doubt
Tim Golds - Who? One of the 17 year olds, hasn't played much footy.
Nathan Wilson - Don't know much about him, one of the 17 year olds
Adam Treloar - Mega offer needed.
Jeremy Cameron - Dreaming
Nick Haynes - Doubt it
Adam Tomlinson - Required at the Giants
Matt Buntine - See Tomlinson
Josh Kelly - Another interesting possibility
Heath Shaw - lol
Joel Patfull - no
Sunshine - no
Jarrod Pickett - won't happen
Andrew Phillips - Possibility as a ruck?
Liam Sumner - Definite possibility
Zac Williams - Another possible as a running HBF
Lachie Plowman - doubt
Jacob Townsend - A chance now, can't crack the side
Ryan Griffen - lol
WHE - Cheaper than Shiel/Treloar but still pricey
Caleb Marchbank - no
Aiden Corr - we don't need more KPD depth, no
James Stewart - If we can get him cheap...
Rory Lobb - Another ruck possibility
Jack Steele - won't happen
Timmy Mohr - wish he'd come to us instead of going to GWS
Adam Kennedy - Another possible. Can play, can't crack the side.
Mummy - Dream.
Patrick McKenna - no
Jake Barrett - no
Tom Downie - Ruck possibility
Dylan Addison - pointless
Jeremy Finlayson - no

I've no'd the guys who haven't debuted. I reckon Whitfield and Kelly are long chances, with the most likely ones being Sumner, Townsend and Kennedy. Feel like if we could get a package of Sumner and Stewart and a pick for a first we'd be laughing. Alternatively, try and offer up our 2nd and see what they throw. Think Sumner is a real chance for a trade - circumstances very similar to Dom.

IanW - what can you tell me about Golds and Wilson?

No. Dislike aside what does he offer that we need? His disposal is meh, he is basically a shitter Brent Stanton.
When was the last time you watched him? For the first time since he joined the Giants he's averaging more possies than at the MFC. He's running at 76% effectiveness and is averaging only 2 clangers a game.

Comparison against someone we all rate...

scull v bernie.png

Going through the Giants' list...

Phil Davis - No
Curtly Hampton - Unlikely
Stephen Coniglio - Unlikely, if he's going he's going to WA
Toby Greene - Doubtful from both ends
Dylan Shiel - Mega offer needed
Lachie Whitfield - A possibility?
Rhys Palmer - No
Callan Ward - No
Tom $cully - I reckon he'd be available (and worth it at the right price too)
Devon Smith - Won't be traded
Jed Lamb - Very interesting. Was PSD from the Swans. A possibility.
Jonno Patton - No
Paul Ahern - Only drafted last year, doubt
Tim Golds - Who? One of the 17 year olds, hasn't played much footy.
Nathan Wilson - Don't know much about him, one of the 17 year olds
Adam Treloar - Mega offer needed.
Jeremy Cameron - Dreaming
Nick Haynes - Doubt it
Adam Tomlinson - Required at the Giants
Matt Buntine - See Tomlinson
Josh Kelly - Another interesting possibility
Heath Shaw - lol
Joel Patfull - no
Sunshine - no
Jarrod Pickett - won't happen
Andrew Phillips - Possibility as a ruck?
Liam Sumner - Definite possibility
Zac Williams - Another possible as a running HBF
Lachie Plowman - doubt
Jacob Townsend - A chance now, can't crack the side
Ryan Griffen - lol
WHE - Cheaper than Shiel/Treloar but still pricey
Caleb Marchbank - no
Aiden Corr - we don't need more KPD depth, no
James Stewart - If we can get him cheap...
Rory Lobb - Another ruck possibility
Jack Steele - won't happen
Timmy Mohr - wish he'd come to us instead of going to GWS
Adam Kennedy - Another possible. Can play, can't crack the side.
Mummy - Dream.
Patrick McKenna - no
Jake Barrett - no
Tom Downie - Ruck possibility
Dylan Addison - pointless
Jeremy Finlayson - no

I've no'd the guys who haven't debuted. I reckon Whitfield and Kelly are long chances, with the most likely ones being Sumner, Townsend and Kennedy. Feel like if we could get a package of Sumner and Stewart and a pick for a first we'd be laughing. Alternatively, try and offer up our 2nd and see what they throw. Think Sumner is a real chance for a trade - circumstances very similar to Dom.

IanW - what can you tell me about Golds and Wilson?

Good post, not often i go through a post list like this and dont find something to pick out, generally agree with all of that. Marchbank is one i wouldn't quite put the pen through yet though, promising KPD type, very young and raw though, would be a nice steak knives in deal for development.

Which one is the bloke who is the tackling machine who plays the forward defensive role? Tackles to hurt?

Tomilnson or Townsend? one of them isn't it? always forgetting which one, anyway, we need an upgrade of MJones or Bail, gimme gimme gimme. Wouldn't cost too much surely?

Last edited:
Good post, not often i go through a post list like this and dont find something to pick out, generally agree with all of that. Marchbank is one i wouldn't quite put the pen through yet though, promising KPD type, very young and raw though, would be a nice steak knives in deal for development.

Which one is the bloke who is the tackling machine who plays the forward defensive role? Tackles to hurt?

Tomilnson or Townsend? one of them isn't it? Anyway, we need an upgrade of MJones or Bail, gimme gimme gimme. Would cost too much surely?
Think that's Townsend.

When was the last time you watched him? For the first time since he joined the Giants he's averaging more possies than at the MFC. He's running at 76% effectiveness and is averaging only 2 clangers a game.

View attachment 138416

He doesn't hurt you with his disposal and he doesn't win a lot of the contested ball either. The only thing Scully has over Vince is consistency, and even then Bernie has been a lot more consistent with us than he was at Adelaide IMO. Remember how s**t Scully looked when GWS weren't dominating?

He isn't a bad footballer and would definitely be in our best side, but I don't think it'd be worth chasing him.

He doesn't hurt you with his disposal and he doesn't win a lot of the contested ball either. The only thing Scully has over Vince is consistency, and even then Bernie has been a lot more consistent with us than he was at Adelaide IMO. Remember how s**t Scully looked when GWS weren't dominating?

He isn't a bad footballer and would definitely be in our best side, but I don't think it'd be worth chasing him.
That's why I feel for the right price it'd be a possibility.

He is having a very good year, (I've been watching him cause them Giants makin' me dat cash on dem footy bets), but offering that parasite any sort of cash offer, i just couldn't do it, and this is coming from a 'make the club better/no sentiment' guy.

What would you give up for him?
If we got our paws on a mid-second rounder? Or him as part of a package - say Sumner, Scully and another for our first (if it's in the top 5?)
Sure as hell would beat out having Bail/M Jones.

If we got our paws on a mid-second rounder? Or him as part of a package - say Sumner, Scully and another for our first (if it's in the top 5?)
Sure as hell would beat out having Bail/M Jones.

Interesting. I agree he would beat out those spuds, but those guys are honestly VFL standard footballers.

On Dawes, I'd love to trade him but I can't see the club doing it. I remember one Collingwood supporter summed up Dawes really well: 'Fantastic speaker, great off-field leader, LOOKS like a good footballer, then you watch him play and realize he can't'. I'd also be very open to trading Watts, sounds horrible but I hope he has a great second half of the year to boost his currency.

View attachment 138416

He's about their 20th best player in each match though. Griffen, Treloar, Coniglio, Shiel, Ward, Whitfield, Greene, Smith, Kelly, etc are all more likely to get attention than he is.

Anyway, I can't see him coming back here. The Tiggas love mediocre midfielders and he was a fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back