2015 Trade/FA Discussion (cont. in Pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway, here's the relevant bit from the Denham article:

In negotiations with Dixon’s Queensland-based agent, the Dockers have trumped any offer Brisbane will be prepared to pay, by promising to deliver on a five-year deal for him to move west for between $700,000 and $750,000 a year, pending a fitness assessment.

The Lions — even with the knowledge that Dixon has a chronic ankle problem that has regularly flared and forced him to miss games — are discussing their offer at list-management level, but it is understood their deal will not be much beyond $600,000 annually.

They are, however, preparing to offer him a five-year deal should he elect to remain in Queensland but requests to be traded out of Gold Coast, who are understood to have offered Dixon a four-year contract to stay on far less money that the Dockers.

Brisbane, who have also discussed out-of-contract Geelong forward Josh Walker — who kicked five goals against them on Saturday — have room in their salary cap to tempt Dixon, but are financially burdened with heavy debt even though they forecast a break-even result this season after seven consecutive years of losses totalling $13.5 million.

As has been said already, who knows with Denham?

But there's nothing there that would concern me. If Freo want to offer him $3.5m over five years I would hope that'd be too rich for our blood. The figures suggested in that article seem right to me.

I know it's only a rumour and probably a load of s**t but this still scares me :(

Pretty sure that was posted by a 1 month old Basil Zempilas parody account. I'm confident he's trolling.

My source indicated earlier in the year that we are into Walker... she said "keeping options open" regarding Walker so that probably indicates Walker wasn't first, or second choice. The noise around Walker lately is a concern which means we probably won't get Dixon... looks like he is off to Freo unless we can up our offer.

Anyway, here's the relevant bit from the Denham article:

As has been said already, who knows with Denham?

But there's nothing there that would concern me. If Freo want to offer him $3.5m over five years I would hope that'd be too rich for our blood. The figures suggested in that article seem right to me.

And again we wonders what the size of our debt and the room in our salary cap have to do with each other... yes indeed we wonders...

We will be shattered if we miss out on Dixon because of 1 extra year on a contract if he stays injury free. It is all about balancing the risk against the reward I guess.
Still, their is a reason why the Suns are offering him unders. Maybe they know he's ankles are going to be a reoccurring problem like Adam Cooney's Knee problem.

And again we wonders what the size of our debt and the room in our salary cap have to do with each other... yes indeed we wonders...

Well, they are related, aren't they? Based on the AFL's new rules we could pay anywhere between 95% and 105% of the salary cap next season, assuming we only paid 95% in 2015. That's a gap of about $1 million.

You could argue failing to recruit a key player in order to reduce debt by that amount is a false economy, but it's still a consideration.

Still, their is a reason why the Suns are offering him unders. Maybe they know he's ankles are going to be a reoccurring problem like Adam Cooney's Knee problem.

I agree. Plus the Suns have the luxury of having Lynch, Day and Wright on the list already. We are desperate for him and offering a 4 year deal which is a big deal as it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My estimate is one second round pick for Aish....if we have to trade for Dixon I doubt if 19 will do it.
It really doesn't matter. If Dixon nominates us as his preferred club then Gold can accept pick 19 or we pick him up via PSD. He's out of contract after all.

We will be shattered if we miss out on Dixon because of 1 extra year on a contract if he stays injury free. It is all about balancing the risk against the reward I guess.

Didn't Denham's article say we are offering the same amount of years as Freo? Just less money.

In today's HS, it mentioned the following 'rumour' - Henderson to Geelong, Aish to Carlton and Geel's first round pick to us.
I would then assume that this pick would either be used for:
- Dixon OR
- Back to Geelong for Walker and their 2nd round pick

In today's HS, it mentioned the following 'rumour' - Henderson to Geelong, Aish to Carlton and Geel's first round pick to us.
I would then assume that this pick would either be used for:
- Dixon OR
- Back to Geelong for Walker and their 2nd round pick

We aren't giving up that much for Walker surely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back