2016 Pre-Season (All news, press conferences, training reports, Photos)

Remove this Banner Ad

went to training today, didn't see much (grand kids didn't really want to be there, left early). jackson paine was in a moon boot. did notice how players who you don't usually expect to do trick shots ie non dominant foot snaps, tight dripple kicks etc. do them really well at training. shows what a huge factor confidence is in performance, and no pressure of course but i think supreme confidence lowers perceived pressure.
simon black was doing a bit of kicking, can still land it on a dime and looks as fit as ever.
went into the clubhouse, if you can call it that. really low standard facilities. wonder what dayne thought when he first arrived compared to the collingwood mansion?

Yep, even by AFLQ standards that Coorparoo clubhouse and the change rooms are pretty ordinary, fortunately they train outside and not inside.

I try not to read anything into preseason, but the guys are looking 'harder' physically which is great.

Really hope Nick is up to speed again soon but he is one player who I am content knows how to do the full contact stuff well already. In the meantime he can keep the general fitness and skills going.

Injuries before Christmas are better than injuries after.

Really loving these training reports from everyone.

Paine just can't cop a break.

Yeah, if he could just stay healthy for long enough...

He is one player we have never got to really tell how he could develop because of injuries. He and Claye Beams.

Got to training about 3:10pm
Jackson Paine has a minor Planta Fascia (spelling) Dayne Beams had a patella scrape (both about 3 weeks)
And as of today Nick has a clavicle fracture (minor) about 4-6 weeks before full contact again!!!
Mostly shorter skill type stuff, some contested handball work, short kicking and some 150m run throughs.
Finished with some fairly heavy running at the end. I missed the middle section of training whilst taking Nick for the scan.
Will this put Nick behind for the start of the season, or will he be able to keep running and fitness work?

Got to training about 3:10pm
Jackson Paine has a minor Planta Fascia (spelling) Dayne Beams had a patella scrape (both about 3 weeks)
And as of today Nick has a clavicle fracture (minor) about 4-6 weeks before full contact again!!!
Mostly shorter skill type stuff, some contested handball work, short kicking and some 150m run throughs.
Finished with some fairly heavy running at the end. I missed the middle section of training whilst taking Nick for the scan.

'about 4-6 weeks' - might be able to still join in at the pre-season camp or, back into full contact by the last week in January - using that estimation as a guide.

The players will take a break from pre-season training from Saturday 19 December and returning on Monday 4 January. They will then be away for pre-season camp from Tuesday 12 January until Friday 15 January 2016. - lions.com.au

Fingers crossed for a successful and speedy recovery Nick!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will this put Nick behind for the start of the season, or will he be able to keep running and fitness work?
He's that fit atm, the rest won't hurt at all.
Coaches came up to me after he'd received his results from the scan and said the break will go him good.
He's unbelievably fit. Best I've seen him.
He won't miss a NAB game (should say will be available to play) full contact 6 weeks from now

looks ok in this small sample. i have never been to the gym, can anybody who has give an opinion on what standard of gym/facility it is when it's not under water?

Nothing wrong with the gym itself its just a bit small when you're trying to get a whole bunch of guys in there. To take the whole team needs to be about twice to 3 times its current size. New equipment may mean that they've managed to tweak the layout a bit to help though.

Plantar Fascia (?) issues can be really nasty and last quite a while. OK one day, can't walk the next. Friend had this problem, it lasted nearly a year. She followed instructions to the letter, nothing seemed to work early days and it sent her into depression too.

Hope it really is only minor for Jacksons sake..

I'm a fan of the yellow. Looks fresh.
Yeah Cuts has made some big gains across the shoulders. Looking forward to seeing him progress this year.

Nothing wrong with the gym itself its just a bit small when you're trying to get a whole bunch of guys in there. To take the whole team needs to be about twice to 3 times its current size. New equipment may mean that they've managed to tweak the layout a bit to help though.

Still no windows I take it.

Not sure skylights go through that many levels

Optical fibre cable with sunlight focussed directly on one end and a diffuser on the underground end.

Any spare strands can be used so the lads can update Insty/Twitter in case jasonpm and JamesNorth aren't doing recon via the AC vents.

Last edited:
Plantar Fascia (?) issues can be really nasty and last quite a while. OK one day, can't walk the next. Friend had this problem, it lasted nearly a year. She followed instructions to the letter, nothing seemed to work early days and it sent her into depression too.

Hope it really is only minor for Jacksons sake..
I've had issues with it. Basically woke up one morning and couldn't weight bear. Took longtime to improve too. Feel sorry for him but he at least has top medical staff to work with

Remove this Banner Ad

Back