List Mgmt. 2016 Trade and Free Agency Targets Part 1

Who do you hope we target?

• Daniel Rich - Brisbane Lions (Free Agent)

Votes: 21 7.5%
  • Jaeger O'Meara - Gold Coast Suns (Trade)

Votes: 112 40.1%
  • Dion Prestia - Gold Coast Suns (Trade)

Votes: 53 19.0%
  • Tom Lynch - Gold Coast Suns(Trade)

Votes: 24 8.6%
  • Ollie Wines - Port (Trade)

Votes: 55 19.7%
  • Other

Votes: 65 23.3%
  • Peter Wright - Gold Coast Suns (Trade)

Votes: 23 8.2%
  • Tom Rockliff

Votes: 15 5.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have thought that Marchbank would be a handy player to target! Fills a need for the 3rd tall defender?

What would we have to offer to get him and Whitfield?

I would have thought that Marchbank would be a handy player to target! Fills a need for the 3rd tall defender?

What would we have to offer to get him and Whitfield?

fair suggestion, chucked him up into the orange. anyone else in this group that we think would be worth looking at:
upload_2016-2-14_12-23-27.png

I don't have an agenda and not everyone thought Hickey was great. It's just the Hickey defenders/fans who disagree & that's fine they are entitled to their opinion as am I.

As I have agreed he was the best our the ruckman forward but did not kick a goal surely that's his job in a dominant side. He is far too restricted IMO and Holmes was far more dominant in tap outs and game efforts. The other thing is you can see the team mates love playing alongside Holmes, Hickey generates zero excitement.

If the club were trying to trade him in Oct 2015 perhaps they think the same as I? I have never been a lamb follow the leader conformist, if I believe in something I voice my opinion as is the case re Hickey. As far as credibility goes obviously our list managers have the same issue.
Dunno about that

I don't have an agenda and not everyone thought Hickey was great. It's just the Hickey defenders/fans who disagree & that's fine they are entitled to their opinion as am I.

As I have agreed he was the best our the ruckman forward but did not kick a goal surely that's his job in a dominant side. He is far too restricted IMO and Holmes was far more dominant in tap outs and game efforts. The other thing is you can see the team mates love playing alongside Holmes, Hickey generates zero excitement.

If the club were trying to trade him in Oct 2015 perhaps they think the same as I? I have never been a lamb follow the leader conformist, if I believe in something I voice my opinion as is the case re Hickey. As far as credibility goes obviously our list managers have the same issue.

You cannot see players excited playing with Holmes. That is your opinion because you somehow rate him ahead of Hickey. He is that far behind it isn't even funny and I reckon our players know that so there wouldn't be an excitement at all playing with Holmes. Hickey is better in aspects of the game bar the most overated aspect of Aussie Rules, the silly bloody tap.

And who said we were trying to trade Hickey? The club? I never heard them say it. A rumour on a fan forum. Well it must be true then.

I'd be happy to trade Hickey if we were to get a forward/ruck to replace him, but as you are aware, they don't grow on trees.

Hickey at least offers something around the ground and up forward, where as the big American is useless after the centre bounce.

Hickey over Holmes every day of the week
I'll second that.
Holmesy is 27 this year. Its not old, its not young, he needs to get a move on if he wants to make it and I have doubts whether he will.
Hickey could potentially kick 20-25 goals a year whilst rucking as well if he improve his game up forward, so he'll be a real asset in a couple years when we are in contention.

Holmes is the perfect 3rd ruckman on the list who can cover in case of injury....

Pierce is the interesting one....
Pierce needs time like most ruckman do. Just turned 21 last november, so a couple more years he'll need to be ready to fire, otherwise they might overlook him.
Also remember a bloke called Daniel Currie, he was drafted in 06' and has played 4 games but is still on an AFL list.

Pierce needs time like most ruckman do. Just turned 21 last november, so a couple more years he'll need to be ready to fire, otherwise they might overlook him.
Also remember a bloke called Daniel Currie, he was drafted in 06' and has played 4 games but is still on an AFL list.
Think that says more about the depth of big men available than Currie. Hell, look at the names getting tossed around for Essendope's top-up talls

this was on the rumours board. geeze i hope we throw the cheque book at him, exactly what we need:

Heard today from a close friend of the Wright family that he's considering coming back to Victoria at the end of this season (out of contract I think) with a number of suitors, Those suitors see Tom Lynch as concrete at GC so they are going hard for him. Unaware of the "suitors" but I'd imagine Melbourne would be one of those.

imo, I hope he re-signs for Gold Coast. :)

Hickey over Holmes every day of the week

At this minute you are probably right but Hickey wouldnt get a game in too many other sides in the comp. The simple truth is he wont be at the Saints when we next challenge so we need to find or develop other options which with our current list are slim.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

also another interesting comment in there from a richmond supporter. apparently they are less keen on a ruck fwd and more keen on finding another genuine ruck, given marics age of 30. i didnt realise how old he was. given theyre in their window, they will want a ready made one soon over the next 2 years. probably sooner for depth. shaun hampson and vickery the other options

also another interesting comment in there from a richmond supporter. apparently they are less keen on a ruck fwd and more keen on finding another genuine ruck, given marics age of 30. i didnt realise how old he was. given theyre in their window, they will want a ready made one soon over the next 2 years. probably sooner for depth. shaun hampson and vickery the other options

Straight trade Hickey for Griffiths. I reckon he offers a bit up forward and can pinch hit!

Straight trade Hickey for Griffiths. I reckon he offers a bit up forward and can pinch hit!
Hickey's worth a fair bit more than Griffiths IMO, wouldn't be worth it. Griffiths is hardly any greater than Hickey as a Key Forward, but Hickey is legitimately better as a ruckman. Your dislike towards Hickey is misguided, and I strongly believe your opinion of Hickey will change after this season!

We'd need at bare minimum a mid-2nd rounder coming back in a hickey-griffiths swap for it to even approach fair.

You are possibly over rating Hickey and underating Griffiths - I would be happy just to get Griffiths to the club. Either way it would be a good trade for the clubs, they have Vickey & Elton but need a No 1 ruckman, we need a player similiar to Ben Griffiths.

Then we could upgrade Holmes as a backup to Longer. Pierce has this season the show he is worth persiting with or delist and look for another ruckmen.

Last edited:
Griffiths has size, and a nice kicking action and not much else. I quite liked him when first drafted, and held high hopes for him across the first 4 or so seasons, but I now don't think he's going to be good enough to hold a key position in a premiership side.

Would much prefer to stick with the genuine ruckman, or send Hickey on his way and use the pick we get to try and get two meter Peter.

Griffiths has size, and a nice kicking action and not much else. I quite liked him when first drafted, and held high hopes for him across the first 4 or so seasons, but I now don't think he's going to be good enough to hold a key position in a premiership side.

Would much prefer to stick with the genuine ruckman, or send Hickey on his way and use the pick we get to try and get two meter Peter.

Griffith wouldnt have to play a KPP role, we have Paddy and Bruce for that. He would just need to play that David Hale role wich I think he is more than capable of.

Neither of our trades will happen. Richmond aren't desperate enough to cast off a 2nd rounder and a player they'd consider best 25 for a Ruckman, and we'd justifiably laugh off any trade that offered less.

2 Meter Peter is the ultimate goal, but if that won't happen, I'd prefer another key forward and Bruce getting 10-15% of the ruck time to trading anything more than a mid to late third round pick for Griffiths.

Hickey's worth a fair bit more than Griffiths IMO, wouldn't be worth it. Griffiths is hardly any greater than Hickey as a Key Forward, but Hickey is legitimately better as a ruckman. Your dislike towards Hickey is misguided, and I strongly believe your opinion of Hickey will change after this season!
Stav alluded to the fact we were offerred a first for Hickey but one after pick 10. Couldn't agree more that Hickey is worth a lot more than Griffiths.

Ideally, Tigs can give us their first, we on trade that with our first to GC for JOM and 2MP - it's in our favour so a fringe player might be required to seal the deal - no point speculating who but I'd much prefer that option!

At this minute you are probably right but Hickey wouldnt get a game in too many other sides in the comp. The simple truth is he wont be at the Saints when we next challenge so we need to find or develop other options which with our current list are slim.

I think that is total rubbish. Hickey is better than any of the ruckman at the club.

Really your agenda is showing. Everyone else can see the reality bar you.

And if what you say is true, it means we can't trade him and will have to delist him.

Do ypu realise how ridiculous this vendetta you are waging against Hickey looks to others?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back