List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a good idea but it's basically draft tampering and I don't think Adelaide want to go down that route again.

On SM-N985F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's not draft tampering, it's simply the economics of supply and demand.

As Adelaide's supply of top end talent, the value that they place on their second round picks may diminish.

As St Kilda get closer to the salary cap limit, the value that we place on salary allocations increases.

It is possible that the two clubs identify a point in which their needs overlap. If this is draft tampering, than bundling late trash picks to trade for early draft picks for F/S and Academy Bidding is certainly tampering.

Sinclair can comfortably slot into billings spot on the wing.

Billings and gresh both play fwd line fulltime next year (with little bursts in the middle from gresh so steele can have a stint fwd).

That leaves gresh's old midfield spot for crouch and caldwell can fight it out with ross for his midfield spot.
Gresh is a midfielder who can play forward, not a small forward.

We play him as a small forward, then we will spend all of next trade period discussing what we get for him in a trade as he goes somewhere who will play him in his actual position.

Sinclair can comfortably slot into billings spot on the wing.

Billings and gresh both play fwd line fulltime next year (with little bursts in the middle from gresh so steele can have a stint fwd).

That leaves gresh's old midfield spot for crouch and caldwell can fight it out with ross for his midfield spot.
Sinclair is out of the side, he's not as good as Billings on a wing, he's not as good as Crouch inside.

We have to move on.

He's a solid B grader that will strengthen our midfield rather than a superstar A grader but they are hard to get unless you're lucky like Geelong and have someone like Dangerfield fall into your lap due to the go home factor. Also superstar A graders usually cost a lot with players and/or picks which someone like Crouch won't.

As much as I'd love a dusty martin or fyfe level superstar- the reality is that they literally cost nearly triple the price of crouch in salary.

Superstars can make a huge difference to a teams performance, but not nearly three times the difference.

Footy is different to say basketball which only has 5 players on a small court- your stars ability to influence a result is amplified by that small playing arena and number of players.

I will begrudgingly admit that getting 2-3 crouch level players via trade and hoping we can homegrow a superstar is a much better strategy than landing a big superstar fish.

I think with surgery he needed for 3yrs and never got, that side of things will improve. If he plays 17/22 a year, but most importantly finals - I can’t see why we wouldn’t be happy with that. The draft is shallow, we only have pick 15ish anyway.. think it’s a smart move. We need more clearance bodies to help Steele. I can’t see anyone else in the next year or two that would be available anyway.
Just not a fan of him as a player and not going to pretend to be just because he nominated us.

The reported 600k rather than 700k is more palatable but I'd rather spend more and use draft picks on a better mid than have Crouch. And if Adelaide do match the bid, I will be pissed if we dont walk away. He isn't worth a trade.

I’m absolutely amazed at the amount of negativity surrounding this Crouch news.

Should we rewind to when nobody wanted to come here at all? Now all of a sudden we are too good for a a guy who won a B&F a year ago.

Stop acting like we’re choosing Crouch over prime GAJ and be happy that this instantly makes our team better. Especially considering how little of the ball Hill was able to get this year, he and Billing’s are going to have a field day with Crouch and Steele in the middle.

Seems routine for many to devalue anyone the second they're a chance for us to recruit. Happened when dusty was reportedly available, it happened when Fyfe was reportedly available, it happened we recruited Jones and it's happening now.

Crouch fills a need and immediately makes our 22 stronger. Big tick

Don’t disagree with a back up ruck but clutching at straws to suggest battle is a key back option, and marsh and clav as keys ... you look at Brisbane with Gardiner going out abd Payne coming in .. we didn’t really have that type of option when Carlisle was out .. even last year rance going down they’ve replaced him with astbury balta etc ..

Joyce is the interesting one because when I saw him play I thought he was a competent back up full back .. but coaches didn’t have any confidence to put him in this year .. but have kept him on the list
You're saying SSeptember is clutching at straws by nominating Battle, who played CHB very successfully last year, and you then go on to nominate Joyce.. :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

Get a grip bro..

You're saying SSeptember is clutching at straws by nominating Battle, who played CHB very successfully last year, and you then go on to nominate Joyce.. :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

Get a grip bro..

I’m talking KEY backs ffs.. battle was great in the backline but not a key back you don’t put him on a key monster forward if Carlisle or Howard go down ... seriously ....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope we tell the crows that our first rounder is absolutely off the cards and we only want him if he comes free.
Might make them think twice about matching for the sake of improving from an end of first round (19) to our pick (15) With the risk of being stuck with him for 4 or 5 years.

If anything I’d maybe tell them if they take the compensation we’d be happy to trade dunstan on the cheap in a seperate deal

All this talk about Steele being able to go forward since we get crouch - do people realise that we are just robbing Peter to pay Paul that way?

leave Steele in the middle for heavens sake. That’s where he’s most damaging.

It's good to be buying low for once and hopefully not getting a shit sandwich to swallow in the post trade honeymoon period like Carlisle and Lovett. Two out of the last three years injury hit and a drug misdeameanor to boot will mean there is no way Adelaide will risk a bird in the hand for a potential shit storm. At this stage I have full faith in the lever pullers at the club to get through this with nothing more than five year commitment to the player. Job done. That said it wouldn't surprise to see Dunstan used as steak knives in a potential deal which has the potential to bite us on the arse. Would love to see him get a good run at it in the current team with Paddy and Marshall serving him. Will look on with interest.

All this talk about Steele being able to go forward since we get crouch - do people realise that we are just robbing Peter to pay Paul that way?

leave Steele in the middle for heavens sake. That’s where he’s most damaging.

Ratts literally said in his last presser he wanted to be able to use Steele forward in periods but we didn’t have the midfield depth to take him out of there at any stage

We aren’t talking large periods we are talking a few minutes a quarter most likely .. times he has done it it’s not been for long but he’s snagged a goal more often than not

If we were to get crouch, that would have to mean the end of dunstan at st kilda.
Crouch on left, Dunstan on right. The thing that surprised me is the number of games, not shown here. Crouch 95 Dunstan 104. He's played a year longer, but I'd assumed he's been around a lot longer than Luke, he's definitely got a higher profile, and I don't really know why.

Never noticed Crouch in any Saints games I've watched, never seen him so only going on impressions on the board about how good he is and those impressions are inconclusive.

The article below from the AFL site says he "will accept" a 5 year deal, which is gracious of him but seems very long to me. Seems like we'll be paying him well too, around $700G pa.

I'm conflicted; one one hand I feel that the list management team have earnt my trust and they have it. On the other hand this seems on the face of it like not such a great deal for us, unless he absolutely doubles the impact of our midfield.

We need to get games into Bytel, Byrnes and hopefully Caldwell. I'm worried Jye will see this news and feel he won't get many games for us, and back out of coming.

Screenshot_20201021-063345_Ecosia.jpeg

This Crouch news is an interesting point on taking a step back and not looking at any trade (or failed trade) in isolation.

At the end of 2018, we offered our 2019 1st round pick in a live trade for GWS’ pick that took Caldwell. That was declined.

Towards the end of 2019, we were keen to offer our 1st pick for Crouch, but caulked at the price.

Now, we could potentially get Crouch for free, Caldwell for a “1st round pick” in the 20s, and still walk away with all of Ryder, Hill, and Howard from the pick that would’ve got only 1 of Crouch or Caldwell.

It’s easy to look at the negatives of drafting a McCartin at pick 1, but then there’s the raft of positives such as getting Marshall in that rookie draft, dodging the bullet of Shiel (which would’ve cost King’s pick + more) and then, of course, these recent developments.

Crouch is clearly all about the cash, doesn’t care where he plays as long as he gets paid. That worries me.

I don’t mind him as a player but just have to question his motives.

If Adel match I hope we walk away..
Why is everyone worried about how much we pay him, shouldn't the question be will he fit well in our team and strengthen it. I'm not sure how many people on Big footy are privy to the St Kilda books.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back