Training 2023 Preseason + training discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I popped over to look at training again today and AGAIN had no luck. No guys out there. There is the Splash event today for the kids so maybe they're training later today rather than coming to the Club twice. I couldn't hang around to find out. I'll have another go on Friday morning and hope to finally see something worthwhile reporting.

I popped over to look at training again today and AGAIN had no luck. No guys out there. There is the Splash event today for the kids so maybe they're training later today rather than coming to the Club twice. I couldn't hang around to find out. I'll have another go on Friday morning and hope to finally see something worthwhile reporting.
I’m heading over this arvo, but if it’s anything like previous community events, it will be light on, with the players involved in mini drills on rotation with the kids.

33F30A89-EC94-44E4-8D06-C7C27A5B35AA.jpeg

Spotted them at freo oval today, but was almost 11 so was pretty much all over.
Think they’ll be at freo oval on Wednesdays as they were for much of preseason post new year last season.

WAnchor Training Report - 18/01/23
So before this teacher returns to work, ‘attending Freo training’ needed to be crossed off the things to do list. Hence this.

The drive up the freeway was oddly easy. Assuming I was too early, I got a coffee and had a look in the Freo shop. During a conversation with the sales assistant, I learned that they were training at Freo. Rookie mistake. Managed to get about 40 minutes of spectating.

A couple of observations:
Kuek is as quick as his name suggests. Which is good, as he looks like he could snap in a tackle. In a handball drill, he was super evasive, his agility outstanding.

Switta is like a dog at a bone. His pressure acts are as impressive in training as they are on game day.

Frederick’s foot skills were faultless, and through his awareness and evasiveness, he created space to help link play in a defensive drill. Love to see those skills on the wing.

Was my goal to keep an eye on Jnr Serong. Got a bit of the ball in a handball drill but not much else to report.

Also wanted to have a look at Jackson. ‘Dogger’, hopefully not a nickname deriving from his car park behaviour, is clearly very popular among his team mates. Players chorused his name whoever he did something of note, a group hug ensuing at one stage. He was up and about.

Enjoyed being close enough to hear Longmuir interact. Issued direct feedback, both to the group and individuals when needed. Also had some gentle banter with the group who performed worst in the handball drill.

Not much more to add other than that, keen to cross Pho off my holiday list, it was a pleasant drive back to Cockburn to visit Bunmee Pho…

Attachments

• BB65D4DA-12DB-479F-921F-C3F4773BF081.jpeg
    BB65D4DA-12DB-479F-921F-C3F4773BF081.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 238
  • 9BEEC9C3-B9B1-4522-8D33-E58A0A9791AA.jpeg
    9BEEC9C3-B9B1-4522-8D33-E58A0A9791AA.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 231
  • 59EDFE60-5626-472F-82DA-AA43D9ECD8ED.jpeg
    59EDFE60-5626-472F-82DA-AA43D9ECD8ED.jpeg
    968.4 KB · Views: 224
  • 92373692-B7EB-4CEF-B186-69E2BFB79761.jpeg
    92373692-B7EB-4CEF-B186-69E2BFB79761.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 234
  • 3A245309-AB28-45B2-B8AB-BB8BA1E4AF37.jpeg
    3A245309-AB28-45B2-B8AB-BB8BA1E4AF37.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 234
  • DF665EC6-E260-41DA-BC33-AA24769526DD.jpeg
    DF665EC6-E260-41DA-BC33-AA24769526DD.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 233
NGA kid that we won't have access to coming to train:

Owing to a late injury to our ruckman, my son once had to ruck against Mitch. My son is 189 cm. Mitch is 205. Young bloke reckoned he couldn't even reach Mitch's wrists even giving it the full hops.

Mitch plays with a fair bit of aggression and athleticism. He could be something. So of course we won't get a crack at him. It's genuinely crap that we don't get any real benefit from NGA and, in fact, the sentimental attachment associated with it has probably meant we felt obliged with a couple of blokes when we could have gone elsewhere - ie, it has worked against us. But, hey, it's cool that we can spend time and money developing players for Carlton to steal.

So before this teacher returns to work, ‘attending Freo training’ needed to be crossed off the things to do list. Hence this.

The drive up the freeway was oddly easy. Assuming I was too early, I got a coffee and had a look in the Freo shop. During a conversation with the sales assistant, I learned that they were training at Freo. Rookie mistake. Managed to get about 40 minutes of spectating.

Kuek is as quick as his name suggests. Which is good, as he looks like he could snap in a tackle. In a handball drill, he was super evasive, his agility outstanding.

Switta is like a dog at a bone. His pressure acts are as impressive in training as they are on game day.

Frederick’s foot skills were faultless, and through his awareness and evasiveness, he created space to help link play in a defensive drill. Love to see those skills on the wing.

Was my goal to keep an eye on Jnr Serong. Got a bit of the ball in a handball drill but not much else to report.

Also wanted to have a look at Jackson. ‘Dogger’, hopefully not a nickname deriving from his car park behaviour, is clearly very popular among his team mates. Players chorused his name whoever he did something of note, a group hug ensuing at one stage. He was up and about.

Enjoyed being close enough to hear Longmuir interact. Issued direct feedback, both to the group and individuals when needed. Also had some gentle banter with the group who performed worst in the handball drill.

Not much more to add other than that, keen to cross Pho off my holiday list, it was a pleasant drive back to Cockburn to visit Bunmee Pho…
Leeeeegend! Watch Freddy lead the pack of kids taking another big step this year. He put the footy world on notice last year, he'll be talked about as a future AA by the end of this year I reckon.

That pho is hearty - get you through the day.

Animated GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Screenshot_20230118_143016_Edge.jpg
Who is this?

Great post Wanchor, pics too. King Huskii better lift his game - we've another training ace on board.
Cheers.

So Im an idiot. I went to ARC.

One day I’ll get it right for you Folks. Either that or I’ll just sack myself and give Backpack the reigns.

Jesus what a clown I’ve been. I make Chris Masten look like Elon Musk.

Very good that place...very good Bun Bo Hue...which is what it looks like in the photo

So Im an idiot. I went to ARC.

One day I’ll get it right for you Folks. Either that or I’ll just sack myself and give Backpack the reigns.

Jesus what a clown I’ve been. I make Chris Masten look like Elon Musk.

I'll see you on Friday at the ARC

I'm going to have to up my game. You've got action pics attached and all.

Thanks for the report! I liked the Freddy write up. He sure is electric.

Cheers bud!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back