Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 1 - Cats v Saints Sat March 16th 7:30pm AEDT (GMHBA)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Saints by a goal or less

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Saints by 7 - 20

Votes: 21 32.3%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Saints by a lot

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong-vs-St-Kilda.png

AFL 2024 PREMIERSHIP SEASON ROUND 1
GEELONG V ST KILDA
SATURDAY MARCH 16TH 7:30PM AEDT (GMHBA STADIUM)

Live scores on BigFooty during the match.

TIPPING ON BIGFOOTY

CLICK HERE :arrowright: TIP IN BIGFOOTY TIPPING
$1000 total prize money!
$500 first place and a spiffy medal
$300 second place
$200 third place

:arrowright: Best score each round wins a Premium Platinum memberships!

Tipping proudly sponsored by
The Golden Ticket

Medallion Club tickets at the MCG and Marvel
Corporate Box tickets at the MCG and Marvel
AFL Finals Tickets

Optus Stadium open air box tickets

Adelaide Oval Stadium Club tickets

Heritage Bank Stadium Lounge tickets

GABBA Open Air Corporate Boxes

Teams
CATS

B: T. Stewart, S. De Koning, Z. Guthrie
HB: M. O’Connor, J. Henry, M. Duncan
C: M. Blicavs, P. Dangerfield - C, M. Holmes
HF: B. Close, T. Stengle, T. Hawkins
F: J. Cameron, O. Dempsey, O. Henry
FOLL: R. Stanley, T. Bruhn, J. Clark

I/C: J. Kolodjashnij, T. Atkins, Z. Tuohy, G. Miers, S. Mannagh
EMG: O. Mullin, S. Neale, B. Parfitt

SAINTS

B: L. Stocker, Z. Cordy, C. Wilkie
HB: J. Battle, R. Bonner, N. Wanganeen-Milera
C: M. Wood, S. Ross, B. Hill
HF: D. Wilson, L. Henry, M. Owens
F: J. Higgins, M. King, T. Membrey
FOLL: R. Marshall, J. Steele - C, B. Crouch

I/C: M. Windhager, L. Collard, R. Byrnes, M. Phillipou, C. Sharman
EMG: A. Schoenmaker, H. Garcia, A. Caminiti

:arrowdown: Links to the Club Board tipping comps :arrowdown:

Share your football wisdom here

Last edited:
Wilson to debut and Bonner to debut for the club.

Looking forward to this, it's our best chance to beat them down there in a very, very long time.

Sinclair is a test, probably odds on to play as long as he makes it through training on Thursday.

Nothing against the Cats but I’m not buying into this being a rebound year for them at all; think they’ll continue to struggle.

Worrying that St Kilda haven’t won down there since 1999 (11 straight losses in that time) but streaks like that break eventually and this looks their best chance.

Saints first up is a good test, especially if they have Sinclair.

Guthrie is a big miss for Geelong and usually Rohan would be, but it's a good chance for Clark and Dempsey to prove their best 22 credentials.

Saints have a few injury issues too though.

The Geelong squad overall is in better shape than this time last year. I'd be disappointed if they were slow out of the blocks with a game at home first up.

Geelong by 2 goals.

Nothing against the Cats but I’m not buying into this being a rebound year for them at all; think they’ll continue to struggle.

Worrying that St Kilda haven’t won down there since 1999 (11 straight losses in that time) but streaks like that break eventually and this looks their best chance.

We didn't play them at their home ground for the majority of the time we were very good so this stat doesn't really mean that much.

But it'd still be nice to break the drought. Can't wait to see Darcy Wilson tear it up.

We didn't play them at their home ground for the majority of the time we were very good so this stat doesn't really mean that much.

But it'd still be nice to break the drought. Can't wait to see Darcy Wilson tear it up.
This is a big part of what skews the "incredibly good at Kardinia Park" stat in Geelong's favour. More games against Victorian teams when they're strong rather than just "Weak Victorian Teams + Interstate Away Teams" would paint a clearer picture.

That said they've also been quite good at Victorian grounds in general since 2004.

131 - 1 - 23 (84%) at Kardinia Park
57 - 1 - 11 (72%) at Docklands
77 - 0 - 43 (64%) at the MCG

I guess what I'm saying is that the Kardinia Park factor is probably slightly overrated, for a team that has been good everywhere for 20 years who only plays travelling teams or teams who have spent a couple of years out of finals contention at the ground.

Anyway, Sinclair out and Stanley in compared to last time these two teams met has me thinking Geelong by 3-4 goals, but honestly it could be 10 goals either way and I still wouldn't be surprised.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First game before close to 40,000 and the new Joel Selwood stand + I can't remember when Saints last won at Geelong, so expecting a close dour affair for most of the day with Cats prevailing by 17 points.

This is a big part of what skews the "incredibly good at Kardinia Park" stat in Geelong's favour. More games against Victorian teams when they're strong rather than just "Weak Victorian Teams + Interstate Away Teams" would paint a clearer picture.

That said they've also been quite good at Victorian grounds in general since 2004.

131 - 1 - 23 (84%) at Kardinia Park
57 - 1 - 11 (72%) at Docklands
77 - 0 - 43 (64%) at the MCG

I guess what I'm saying is that the Kardinia Park factor is probably slightly overrated, for a team that has been good everywhere for 20 years who only plays travelling teams or teams who have spent a couple of years out of finals contention at the ground.

Anyway, Sinclair out and Stanley in compared to last time these two teams met has me thinking Geelong by 3-4 goals, but honestly it could be 10 goals either way and I still wouldn't be surprised.

Hmmm I dunno, Collingwood haven’t been beaten down there this century.

A good place to play at Kilda for us we will win the contests and have a bit more size but they are a quicker side so the space will favour us.

A good place to play at Kilda for us we will win the contests and have a bit more size but they are a quicker side so the space will favour us.
Genuine question - will you win the contests though? Your midfield’s looking a little thin, especially now with no Guthrie. Bowes not named either. Big ask going up against Steele and Crouch. Marshall comfortably has Stanley covered as well.

Think a lot of people are sleeping on the Saints a little in this game.

Genuine question - will you win the contests though? Your midfield’s looking a little thin, especially now with no Guthrie. Bowes not named either. Big ask going up against Steele and Crouch. Marshall comfortably has Stanley covered as well.

Think a lot of people are sleeping on the Saints a little in this game.

Just hard to tip against Geelong at home. We do lose games there, but we win most.

Back