Review AFL NAB Challenge 3 - Geelong defeats Carlton by 19 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand players make errors from time to time because they're human. I honestly don't care that Blitz missed that goal or if he misses any goal (unless it is ultra easy) I'd be happy he got in a position to score a goal but when he makes errors around the ground they seem to always be lethal because they're really bad errors like the direct turnover yesterday under no pressure.

I really don't know why Blitz' disposals has so much angst. I see a number of our on-ballers turn it over, directly causing scores against. I don't see blitz doing this, yet he still has his detractors.

BTW, that was his only clanger. Selwood had five. I agree that numbers separate the two, but to pick him up for one bad disposal is a tad over zealous.

I would disagree ever so slightly.

I would say they are money grabbers, with absolutely zero conscience.

Well I got to change their minds on the younger veterans. That would have been loose change for them, which makes you wonder why create the problem.

Overall I found the game to be fairly lacklustre with Caddy's form and Horlin-Smith's performance (both guys I like) to be worrying. The fact we don't seem to know what to do with Murdoch is another on-going issue (despite him being a sub yesterday).

I certainly don't think anyone had a go at Lang but I'll go into bat for his game yesterday. His tackling created 2 goals which, in the context of a close game was invaluable and defines what a "pressure act" can be perfectly. I also recall an occassion he got a hand in to disrupt a Carlton passage of play and he already seems to know how to find dangerous spaces to fill to provide an option in the forward line.

I actually think playing him against Hawthorn is something to consider because the experience of playing a very good side, in front of a big crowd is part of developing young players who look likely (a bit of sink or swim coming into play here).

Games like Easter Monday can really help fast-track (buzzword alert) the development of a few of these kids. I'm prepared to overlook a few fumbles (although I didn't think he was that bad) and include Lang for the Hawthorn game based on his overall pre-season.

Last edited:
I got to actually attend today. And loved a lot of what I saw.
  • GHS. Its not his fault. He just isnt up to it. He isnt big bodied enough to be an inside bull. He lacks pace so is constantly under the pump. He really is a forward flanker in old language. He's not a mid. I hope they play him in a pocket and let him be a "David Cameron" type player. Cos thats what he brings. He might only get 5 kicks but will kick 3 goals. Job done. He's just not a mid.
I'd been thinking a very similar thing about GHS, since the 2013 VFL grand final really, there is something about him that reminds me of some nearly-but-not-quite-right 1980s Geelong players. I hadn't nailed it down to an individual, but David Cameron is about right! Maybe it's the blonde hair and high socks :)

I'd also seriously doubt he could be a regular enough goal kicker to get us that high 20s or 30 goals per year which that sort of small forward role might demand.

Although I think blightycats is going way over the top with his assessment of Blicavs, I do agree that he failed to spoil that ball. I thought he looked clueless.

I have no issue with Blicavs getting back to support the defence. In fact with his running he should be doing it.
But I do not want to see him played as a defender at AFL level.

Go learn it in the VFL.

I'd been thinking a very similar thing about GHS, since the 2013 VFL grand final really, there is something about him that reminds me of some nearly-but-not-quite-right 1980s Geelong players. I hadn't nailed it down to an individual, but David Cameron is about right! Maybe it's the blonde hair and high socks :)

I'd also seriously doubt he could be a regular enough goal kicker to get us that high 20s or 30 goals per year which that sort of small forward role might demand.

Were you voicing your concerns last year, say when he had 30 touches against Fremantle, or 23 touches and 3 goals against West Coast? Just wondering.

He's not a small forward. He'll rest down there no doubt like all midfielders but if he makes it it'll be in the centre square.

I really don't know why Blitz' disposals has so much angst. I see a number of our on-ballers turn it over, directly causing scores against. I don't see blitz doing this, yet he still has his detractors.

BTW, that was his only clanger. Selwood had five. I agree that numbers separate the two, but to pick him up for one bad disposal is a tad over zealous.
I've already been through all this earlier in the thread it wasn't just that error. Also against the Gold Coast he handballed directly to a Gold Coast player at half back which resulted in a supergoal and punched the ball into the corridor in a defensive contest (which you learn in under 12s is the wrong thing to do) which a gold coast player ran on to and goaled. He just makes really crucial many times basic errors that's the difference.

Although I think blightycats is going way over the top with his assessment of Blicavs, I do agree that he failed to spoil that ball. I thought he looked clueless.

I have no issue with Blicavs getting back to support the defence. In fact with his running he should be doing it.
But I do not want to see him played as a defender at AFL level.

Go learn it in the VFL.
Believe me I don't hate Blicavs as much as perhaps it seems on my comments on the threads here and I know he often does very good things in games. I agree with you 100% let him learn in the VFL!! That's my beef that he keeps getting so many AFL games when he hasn't learnt the game well enough yet.

This is par for the course for BigFooty: someone doesn't rate a player so every mistake they make is highlighted and rehashed. Other players who make the same mistakes as often or more frequently but that is overlooked.

An overall positive game from Blicavs and the focus is on two (?) mistakes? I could highlight fifteen positive passages of play if I had time to go through the tape.

This is par for the course for BigFooty: someone doesn't rate a player so every mistake they make is highlighted and rehashed. Other players who make the same mistakes as often or more frequently but that is overlooked.

An overall positive game from Blicavs and the focus is on two (?) mistakes? I could highlight fifteen positive passages of play if I had time to go through the tape.
Hey I like blicavs!

I'm just saying that on 1 occasion (yes only 1) he showed that he could be a liability if played solely as a defender.
We'll learn a lot more about him when Stanley is available. And then again when vardy gets fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey I like blicavs!

I'm just saying that on 1 occasion (yes only 1) he showed that he could be a liability if played solely as a defender.
We'll learn a lot more about him when Stanley is available. And then again when vardy gets fit.
When I've got more time I'll provide some comments on how Blicavs was used in the ruck and back which wouldn't have been obvious from the TV view. They are obviously putting quite a bit of work into it tactically.

When I've got more time I'll provide some comments on how Blicavs was used in the ruck and back which wouldn't have been obvious from the TV view. They are obviously putting quite a bit of work into it tactically.
Cheers.

And I should add, there's also the possibility that 1 moment was just a brain fade.
He probably expected someone else to spoil.

When you're playing a high pressure final or even season game like we will in round one till round 5 probably you need to be able to kick it quickly and long to contests involving your ruckmen or other big guys and expect they'll be able to take contested marks from time to time during the game, this is especially relevant on our kick outs which we struggled with all of last year. Blitz with his 7 contested marks in 23 games last year just isn't going to offer you that, and his 'space' will be non existent come the season proper when teams will be far more disciplined with their zones to lock us inside our defensive third.
When things get tight, Blitz is able to free himself to get out the quick HP and his DE% has so far been extremely high.

I've already been through all this earlier in the thread it wasn't just that error. Also against the Gold Coast he handballed directly to a Gold Coast player at half back which resulted in a supergoal and punched the ball into the corridor in a defensive contest (which you learn in under 12s is the wrong thing to do) which a gold coast player ran on to and goaled. He just makes really crucial many times basic errors that's the difference.

And we've put him in the ruck, backline, wing, forward. Can you name any other player we could do that to?

One mistake doesn't crucify a player, it's whether the learn from that to improve themselves.

If most of the list developed in the same manner and speed of Blitz, we'd win every game by a big margin.

And we've put him in the ruck, backline, wing, forward. Can you name any other player we could do that to?

One mistake doesn't crucify a player, it's whether the learn from that to improve themselves.

If most of the list developed in the same manner and speed of Blitz, we'd win every game by a big margin.

There's a difference between playing somewhere, and playing well there.

Yep he's been mostly in the ruck. And as a 2nd ruckman he can be serviceable linking up around the ground. But he gets slaughtered in actual ruckwork against top quality ruckmen, which has happened three times in finals. That's not a positive. He's played occasionally on a wing, and also been torched, and again in a final. He hasn't played up forward for us to any degree. Not yet anyway.

One mistake doesn't crucify a player, but if it's ok to forensically highlight the mistakes of say Smedts (like it was a week ago), it's ok to do it for Blicavs, and Bews, and Horlin-Smith, and Kelly, and everyone else.

While I was checking some stats a few minutes ago, I noticed Kelly's new improved stats.
20 disposals- 11 contested possessions, 10 uncontested- with a ... wait for it... 90% disposal efficiency! :eek:
Yeah, it was ONLY a practice match and Carlton had a few stars out (or so the Fox boys kept reminding me) but that is extremely high and unlike what we have seen from Kelly in the past.

(Maybe there's been an error in the calculations on the AFL website? ;))

There's a difference between playing somewhere, and playing well there.

Yep he's been mostly in the ruck. And as a 2nd ruckman he can be serviceable linking up around the ground. But he gets slaughtered in actual ruckwork against top quality ruckmen, which has happened three times in finals. That's not a positive. He's played occasionally on a wing, and also been torched, and again in a final. He hasn't played up forward for us to any degree. Not yet anyway.

One mistake doesn't crucify a player, but if it's ok to forensically highlight the mistakes of say Smedts (like it was a week ago), it's ok to do it for Blicavs, and Bews, and Horlin-Smith, and Kelly, and everyone else.

Yep agree, universuality.

Mate you're just making me go over ground I've already covered. I know a lot of you guys are vocal Blitz lovers (blindly so) but hopefully when or if Stanley gets fit we can send Blitz back to the VFL where he can learn the game. I also know from the likes I've had for some of my comments about Blitz that there is a bit of a silent majority out there in Bigfooty land that agree with me. Lets just let it go. The fact remains that his stats last year were pretty average, I don't think any rational person could argue that. I personally don't see him doing much better this year but people like yourself and a few others do, and think he's going to be a champ, that is pretty much where we all stand and we'll see what happens this year. All I ask is if you think Blitz will be a champ provide me with some statistical evidence? More than one NAB challenge game against most probably a bottom 8 team with pretty weak ruck stocks.

Look on the bright side, daz.
Given the length of time he's now been digging that hole, any minute now you'll have another Geelong barracker for company in California.:D
Will said tunnel allow Australia access to cheaper goods?

If yes, he can keep digging.

It looks like GHS is already being passed by the new guys. I'll see how he goes over the season but if he can't play that bullocking role in the midfield then he needs to be played somewhere his lack of pace won't hurt us. The VFL maybe. :p
Don't know if I'd go that far just yet.

Happy to concede he was poor yesterday (and his game against Adelaide wasn't anything special either) but I think he displayed a bit last year and showed he can play at senior level.

The problem is, he and Caddy have to step it up and do more to help out Selwood and Johnson and Guthrie. Guys like Cockatoo and Lang provide the reinforcements (much like Bartel and Kelly will probably have to) but the heavy lifting has to be performed by these guys coming into their 5th years.

While I was checking some stats a few minutes ago, I noticed Kelly's new improved stats.
20 disposals- 11 contested possessions, 10 uncontested- with a ... wait for it... 90% disposal efficiency! :eek:
Yeah, it was ONLY a practice match and Carlton had a few stars out (or so the Fox boys kept reminding me) but that is extremely high and unlike what we have seen from Kelly in the past.

(Maybe there's been an error in the calculations on the AFL website? ;))

Those figures reflect what I saw.
Yesterday he played much more outside than he has in past years as a midfielder.
It will be interesting to see whether that's going to continue, or whether they are going to send him back into his old highly successful role as a tackling defensive midfielder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back