Analysis Are we really a spooner side this year? I mean, REALLY?

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't mind if Geelong slipped a bit. They've more than had their time.

We should try and win as many games as possible. Having said that though, I think even at 100% effort 100% of the time (hello GT), we'd be lucky not to finish in the bottom two. We'll get a good pick tanking or not.

By the sounds of it there may not be a lot of difference between picks 1 and 3 this year, so I'd prefer we started to really show something and came 3rd last than stunk it up again and came last, especially behind the WB, given their situation.
Absolutely, Bonts went pick 4 remember then they got that big potatoe who was pick 1 the year before for their whole salary cap until 2035 ;)

We will get a beauty this year, realistically though we finish last or second last, our squad with injuries is very thin for another couple of drafts.

By the sounds of it there may not be a lot of difference between picks 1 and 3 this year, so I'd prefer we started to really show something and came 3rd last than stunk it up again and came last, especially behind the WB, given their situation.

I reckon about 4 to 12 seems to get the best players in my mind anyway. It's probably not statistically but I have cherry picked 2012 as I looked at it recently (and it backs up my argument) players from 5 to 11 are going to probably be guns the rest are still developing. 2012 they should have started to show at least a little bit by now. I know a few of those early guys are still a chance to be good but they are over shadowed by the guys after them. Especially O'Rourke who seems a bit disappointing and has already gone to the Hawks. They also had a mini draft that year and two of the best 17 year old were gone for the following year. After the two mini drafters were taken out 2013 was still probably one of the best ever as so many of that top 10 are already on the way and several outside the top 10 are already showing heaps.

Round Pick Player Recruited from League Drafted to Notes
1 1 Lachie Whitfield Dandenong Stingrays TAC Cup Greater Western Sydney
1 2 Jonathan O'Rourke Calder Cannons TAC Cup Greater Western Sydney Pick #2 traded from Gold Coast
1 3 Lachlan Plowman Calder Cannons TAC Cup Greater Western Sydney Pick #3 traded from Melbourne
1 4 Jimmy Toumpas Woodville-West Torrens SANFL Melbourne GWS uncontracted player compensation pick - Tom Scully
1 5 Jake Stringer Bendigo Pioneers TAC Cup Western Bulldogs
1 6 Jackson Macrae Oakleigh Chargers TAC Cup Western Bulldogs GWS uncontracted player compensation pick - Callan Ward
1 7 Oliver Wines Bendigo Pioneers TAC Cup Port Adelaide
1 8 Sam Mayes North Adelaide SANFL Brisbane Lions
1 9 Nick Vlastuin Northern Knights TAC Cup Richmond
1 10 Joe Daniher Calder Cannons TAC Cup Essendon Father-Son Rule selection - son of Anthony Daniher
1 11 Troy Menzel Central District SANFL Carlton
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_AFL_draft

A dream scenario would be if we become more competitive due to the likes of Webster, Ross, Wright, Saunders and such improving. Players who we didn't pick in the first round but go on to become AFL quality players.

It would show us that our development is heading in the right direction and whoever we pick up (with picks 1-3) will become a gun and our 2nd and 3rd round picks also have a good chance of becoming best 22.

A dream scenario would be if we become more competitive due to the likes of Webster, Ross, Wright, Saunders and such improving. Players who we didn't pick in the first round but go on to become AFL quality players.

It would show us that our development is heading in the right direction and whoever we pick up (with picks 1-3) will become a gun and our 2nd and 3rd round picks also have a good chance of becoming best 22.

Webster and Newnes look certainties to me. Ross is on his way, Wright just needs to get on the park. Spencer looks more impressive than a lot of higher picks, Steven was a late pick. We seem to have a better strike rate with our rubbish picks. Dunstan was a beauty from where we got him too.

I reckon about 4 to 12 seems to get the best players in my mind anyway. It's probably not statistically but I have cherry picked 2012 as I looked at it recently (and it backs up my argument) players from 5 to 11 are going to probably be guns the rest are still developing. 2012 they should have started to show at least a little bit by now. I know a few of those early guys are still a chance to be good but they are over shadowed by the guys after them. Especially O'Rourke who seems a bit disappointing and has already gone to the Hawks. They also had a mini draft that year and two of the best 17 year old were gone for the following year. After the two mini drafters were taken out 2013 was still probably one of the best ever as so many of that top 10 are already on the way and several outside the top 10 are already showing heaps.

Round Pick Player Recruited from League Drafted to Notes
1 1 Lachie Whitfield Dandenong Stingrays TAC Cup Greater Western Sydney
1 2 Jonathan O'Rourke Calder Cannons TAC Cup Greater Western Sydney Pick #2 traded from Gold Coast
1 3 Lachlan Plowman Calder Cannons TAC Cup Greater Western Sydney Pick #3 traded from Melbourne
1 4 Jimmy Toumpas Woodville-West Torrens SANFL Melbourne GWS uncontracted player compensation pick - Tom Scully
1 5 Jake Stringer Bendigo Pioneers TAC Cup Western Bulldogs
1 6 Jackson Macrae Oakleigh Chargers TAC Cup Western Bulldogs GWS uncontracted player compensation pick - Callan Ward
1 7 Oliver Wines Bendigo Pioneers TAC Cup Port Adelaide
1 8 Sam Mayes North Adelaide SANFL Brisbane Lions
1 9 Nick Vlastuin Northern Knights TAC Cup Richmond
1 10 Joe Daniher Calder Cannons TAC Cup Essendon Father-Son Rule selection - son of Anthony Daniher
1 11 Troy Menzel Central District SANFL Carlton
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_AFL_draft
There is an interesting thread on this very topic on the D&T board and Bergholt came up with this list here for each top 20 pick:

1 11 (Riewoldt, Hodge, Goddard, White, Gardiner, Gaspar, Murphy, Cooney, Deledio, Gibbs, Johnstone)
2 10 (Roughead, Lappin, Primus, Ottens, Cotchin, Hasleby, Rocca, Thomas, Wells, Ball)
3 6 (Judd, Croad, Grant, Griffen, Didak, Martin)
4 5 (Pavlich, Matera, Leppitsch, Lucas, Kennedy)
5 6 (Franklin, Pendlebury, Boak, McVeigh, Smith, Power)
6 1 (Wingard)
7 7 (Selwood, Lewis, Johnson, Mackie, Cameron, Ryder, Hale)
8 5 (Bartel, Corey, Bolton, Heppell, Tarrant)
9 3 (Cornes, Pike, McVeigh)
10 3 (Dangerfield, Brown, McPharlin)
11 3 (Hayes, Glass, Johnson)
12 7 (Wanganeen, Burgoyne, Jones, Rioli, Scott, Frawley)
13 8 (Crawford, Dal Santo, Riewoldt, McKay, Murphy, Talia, Ebert, Stanton)
14 5 (Allan, Holland, Simpson, Birchall, B Smith)
15 3 (Hudghton, Camporeale, Rawlings)
16 5 (Gehrig, Thompson, Yze, Burton, Douglas)
17 3 (Taylor, Kelly, McAdam)
18 5 (Kerr, Colbert, Stevens, Shaw, Rance)
19 7 (Hall, Mundy, Green, Ward, Smith, Davis, Gram)
20 5 (Fyfe, Cornes, Fletcher, Minson, Cummings)

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/best-ever-top-20-picks.1082390/page-2#post-36213995

We also need to remember that had the recent drafts not been compromised that Jaegar O'Meara would also likely have gone at 1 and perhaps Jeremy Cameron or Adam Treloar in their year and I could live with having any of them at my club as a result of a top 2 or 3 pick.

Somehow I see a dream..

We finish 2nd last. Essendon gets the wooden spoon, but get stripped of pick 1. We don't get pick 2, because we keep Steven.

Shades of 2003?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Webster and Newnes look certainties to me. Ross is on his way, Wright just needs to get on the park. Spencer looks more impressive than a lot of higher picks, Steven was a late pick. We seem to have a better strike rate with our rubbish picks. Dunstan was a beauty from where we got him too.

It would be good if the list of 'certainties' grew from Webster and Newnes to 2 or 3 more players picked in the second round or later.

Imagine if we are talking about someone like Saunders next year the way we are speaking about Newnes this year.

Would give us that much more confident in our recruitment/development.

It would be good if the list of 'certainties' grew from Webster and Newnes to 2 or 3 more players picked in the second round or later.

Imagine if we are talking about someone like Saunders next year the way we are speaking about Newnes this year.

Would give us that much more confident in our recruitment/development.
Imagine talking about Murdoch as well the same way we spoke about Newnes a year or so. Now that'd be something!

Imagine talking about Murdoch as well the same way we spoke about Newnes a year or so. Now that'd be something!
4 quarters of his game against Adelaide when he was subbed on and we have a player!

4 quarters of his game against Adelaide when he was subbed on and we have a player!
Still drooling from a couple of his kicks in that game.

There is an interesting thread on this very topic on the D&T board and Bergholt came up with this list here for each top 20 pick:

1 11 (Riewoldt, Hodge, Goddard, White, Gardiner, Gaspar, Murphy, Cooney, Deledio, Gibbs, Johnstone)
2 10 (Roughead, Lappin, Primus, Ottens, Cotchin, Hasleby, Rocca, Thomas, Wells, Ball)
3 6 (Judd, Croad, Grant, Griffen, Didak, Martin)
4 5 (Pavlich, Matera, Leppitsch, Lucas, Kennedy)
5 6 (Franklin, Pendlebury, Boak, McVeigh, Smith, Power)
6 1 (Wingard)
7 7 (Selwood, Lewis, Johnson, Mackie, Cameron, Ryder, Hale)
8 5 (Bartel, Corey, Bolton, Heppell, Tarrant)
9 3 (Cornes, Pike, McVeigh)
10 3 (Dangerfield, Brown, McPharlin)
11 3 (Hayes, Glass, Johnson)
12 7 (Wanganeen, Burgoyne, Jones, Rioli, Scott, Frawley)
13 8 (Crawford, Dal Santo, Riewoldt, McKay, Murphy, Talia, Ebert, Stanton)
14 5 (Allan, Holland, Simpson, Birchall, B Smith)
15 3 (Hudghton, Camporeale, Rawlings)
16 5 (Gehrig, Thompson, Yze, Burton, Douglas)
17 3 (Taylor, Kelly, McAdam)
18 5 (Kerr, Colbert, Stevens, Shaw, Rance)
19 7 (Hall, Mundy, Green, Ward, Smith, Davis, Gram)
20 5 (Fyfe, Cornes, Fletcher, Minson, Cummings)

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/best-ever-top-20-picks.1082390/page-2#post-36213995

We also need to remember that had the recent drafts not been compromised that Jaegar O'Meara would also likely have gone at 1 and perhaps Jeremy Cameron or Adam Treloar in their year and I could live with having any of them at my club as a result of a top 2 or 3 pick.

What was the criteria for them making the list because there are spud registered in quite a few of those. Pick 6 must be a shocker though if it has only had one good player in it's history. Mc Crae is going to bulk it up though. I'd only rate 5 number ones as the best of their draft or close enough to it. Pick 5 probably has three that could argue they are the best of their year. Pick 2 probably has 3 also.

Still drooling from a couple of his kicks in that game.

I still have high hopes for Brodie. Would love to see him transition into a goal kicking mid, but would be happy for him to play the high half forward role this year. If you could just find more of the pill, he would be a very dangerous player.

Lock pick 1 in, another spoon on the way

Remove this Banner Ad

Back