Analysis Are we really a spooner side this year? I mean, REALLY?

Remove this Banner Ad

There is an interesting thread on this very topic on the D&T board and Bergholt came up with this list here for each top 20 pick:

1 11 (Riewoldt, Hodge, Goddard, White, Gardiner, Gaspar, Murphy, Cooney, Deledio, Gibbs, Johnstone)
2 10 (Roughead, Lappin, Primus, Ottens, Cotchin, Hasleby, Rocca, Thomas, Wells, Ball)
3 6 (Judd, Croad, Grant, Griffen, Didak, Martin)
4 5 (Pavlich, Matera, Leppitsch, Lucas, Kennedy)
5 6 (Franklin, Pendlebury, Boak, McVeigh, Smith, Power)
6 1 (Wingard)
7 7 (Selwood, Lewis, Johnson, Mackie, Cameron, Ryder, Hale)
8 5 (Bartel, Corey, Bolton, Heppell, Tarrant)
9 3 (Cornes, Pike, McVeigh)
10 3 (Dangerfield, Brown, McPharlin)
11 3 (Hayes, Glass, Johnson)
12 7 (Wanganeen, Burgoyne, Jones, Rioli, Scott, Frawley)
13 8 (Crawford, Dal Santo, Riewoldt, McKay, Murphy, Talia, Ebert, Stanton)
14 5 (Allan, Holland, Simpson, Birchall, B Smith)
15 3 (Hudghton, Camporeale, Rawlings)
16 5 (Gehrig, Thompson, Yze, Burton, Douglas)
17 3 (Taylor, Kelly, McAdam)
18 5 (Kerr, Colbert, Stevens, Shaw, Rance)
19 7 (Hall, Mundy, Green, Ward, Smith, Davis, Gram)
20 5 (Fyfe, Cornes, Fletcher, Minson, Cummings)

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/best-ever-top-20-picks.1082390/page-2#post-36213995

We also need to remember that had the recent drafts not been compromised that Jaegar O'Meara would also likely have gone at 1 and perhaps Jeremy Cameron or Adam Treloar in their year and I could live with having any of them at my club as a result of a top 2 or 3 pick.

Add to it Jesse hogan, jack Martin, jack viney who were all affected by the pre selection rule

Wasn't dylan shiel also a pre selection?

The way our injuries are looking like continuing this year where they left off last year, it could be a genuine cripple-fight between us and WB for the spoon!

I wonder if essendon penalties could affect this. Surely if they get hit hard they are ruled out for pick 1

As any year injuries play a part.

Dont expect anything more than bottom 4.

How good is Lonie??

If we keep having hamstring injuries at the current rate we'll be odds on favorite for the spoon.

Fix it Saints, just fix it now.....

Dogs showing how competitive they will be in the chase for the spoon - half time against the Dees.
Salem on fire for those into SC!

Dogs showing how competitive they will be in the chase for the spoon - half time against the Dees.
Salem on fire for those into SC!
I'm not sure I'd take much out of that... WB playing with kids and 3rd tier, Melbourne at near full-strength.

Yep, it's not looking good. When we did the season-in-4-weeks, that was always assuming our best side, and that got us the mighty total of 7 wins and 16th place. Given the injuries, this is going to be an ugly, ugly beast of a year.

Are we really a spooner side this yr? I mean ,REALLY?

after all these injuries already
yes-really.jpg

Will have a preview of 2015 watching Thursday nights game. Non competitive result will spell we are in for a very long year - if we can show some improvement against the Hawks thre remains a glimmer of hope! Regardless Go the SAINTS !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, it's not looking good. When we did the season-in-4-weeks, that was always assuming our best side, and that got us the mighty total of 7 wins and 16th place. Given the injuries, this is going to be an ugly, ugly beast of a year.

I'm hoping our bad run with injuries has come and gone by April. Looking at our current injury list, by about round four or five we could be pretty much back to full strength (as long as we don't get any more injuries to key players).

As we have seen in the past, Gilbert doesn't need much time to get to full fitness so once he is okay to go at full pace he will slot straight back into the side. Savage and Billings should be right for round one, Roberton and Saundes weren't actually injured (just a bit of tightness) and Armitage is just being managed.

Of the long term injuries, Siposs and Markworth aren't best 22 and Ray and Ross are on the boarder, being perhaps are 23rd and 24th best. So I don't think it is necessarily doom and gloom at this early stage.

We will have plenty of winnable games, and we always seem to snatch an upset or two, so I think there will be lots of games where we will be super-competitive and us supporters will have plent to cheer about.

As we have seen in the past, Gilbert doesn't need much time to get to full fitness so once he is okay to go at full pace he will slot straight back into the side.
The past has shown he doesn't need much time to lose full fitness either.

Yes, we are a solid chance of some more Woodware! :oops:

Sinclaire did pretty well in a side that got flogged.

I think we're bottom 4 guaranteed the next 2 seasons. That's to be expected.

McKenzie, White (hopefully), Billings, McCartin, etc won't become consistent game impacting players until they've played 50+ games.

It's just about getting games into younger guys the next couple of years and having the senior players set high standards on & off the field.

We'll all need to be patient. I'll need to remind myself constantly.

None of those players going anywhere next year though. 2017 will be interesting when maybe 3 of those have retired.

I always think it's an accurate measure of the likelihood of finishing last, when you're playing the in-form premiers at full strength with a side made up of half your seconds in a pre-season practice match in March.

I always think it's an accurate measure of the likelihood of finishing last, when you're playing the in-form premiers at full strength with a side made up of half your seconds in a pre-season practice match in March.
:thumbsu::thumbsu:
I actually think we prob will finish last.
But tonights result has F-ALL to do with me thinking that.
Hawks will do that to a lot of the bottom sides this year. They wont all win the spoon.
Injuries, management of the playing list , luck or lack of it etc etc decide if you get the spoon.
Not getting smashed by the premiers in a praccy match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back