Bishop's 2015 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Has Conway been good? Was a lions academy guy, but they let him go after just one year.
I've been very impressed. He'd be top 10 in the VFL for me.

Overall, I'd say the best chances from each club are:

Box Hill: Sam Collins. Key defender, solid. A lot of mature guys from the Hawks so can't see many guys getting drafted.
Sandringham: Mitch Brown. Key swingman. Dominant throughout the year, can't see him not on an AFL list next year.
Williamstown: Adam Marcon. I have some doubts whether he makes it at the next level but a good VFL player and clubs will look at him.
Footscray: Nick Coughlan. Young key defender and has impressed quite a few at senior level.
Essendon: Daniel Coghlan. The bloke is a machine, was excellent again this season.
Werribee: Isaac Conway. Gets a shitload of the pill, would be surprised if he didn't get picked up.
Collingwood: Gus Borthwick. A smokie but Gus can get the pill easily and often. Very good player.
Casey: Jack Hutchins. Had an underrated year, was close to Casey's best player.
North Ballarat: Nick Rippon. Winner of the Liston and all round good player at this level.
Port Melbourne: Don't know. Very mature side and the younger guys weren't fantastic.
Coburg: Michael Hartley. The guy is an AFL quality key defender and is only 22.
Richmond: Jason Castagna. Very good accumulator and will be one to watch next year.
Northern Blues: Not sure. Didn't see many NB games this year.
Frankston: Nick Gardiner. Can see him as a solid CHF at AFL level.

I've seen all three. In my view I don't think they'll be picked up.

I know there is talk about clubs wanting to get all these mature agers- People I have spoken to aren't as sure.

Mind you- All it takes is one club to be interested in you- Next minute you're a rookie listed player.
Bishop when you doing updated Mock draft?

Bishop when you doing updated Mock draft?

I'll update my power rankings before the Combine (which begins Thursday), I'll hold off doing a Phantom Draft until the Free Agency/Trade period concludes as I know they'll be a lot of picks/compo picks moving which will severely affect a Phantom Draft.

Once I've updated my power rankings, I'll look to get my profiles up over the next few weeks.

Hey Bish, I reckon Essendon need to get a project ruck on their list and I liked Parella's work at the stoppage for SA from what I saw, what do you think of him to Essendon potentially in the rookie draft?

Hey Bish, I reckon Essendon need to get a project ruck on their list and I liked Parella's work at the stoppage for SA from what I saw, what do you think of him to Essendon potentially in the rookie draft?

Parella is definitely a good project player. With a tennis background, it's a strange one going from a state tennis player to an AFL ruckman.

Personally he's one of only three players (Nyuon and Flynn the others) who I see as being draftable as a 18yr old.

The issue I see with him is he doesn't find a lot of the footy- I know he's a ruckman, but at AFL level IMO you can't be a ruckman that gets 4-5 disposals per game. But he's learning the game, so you could possibly put it down to that. I don't have his U18 stats/SANFL stats in front of me, they're on my laptop at home, but at the champs from watching him I thought he was pretty good at the stoppages/hitouts.

Seeing him live in the final champs game, I thought he played really well and would be well worth a project on someone's list.

Speaking with someone I know who is a scout at a Victorian club- They believe Gach Nyuon might slide into the Rookie draft (Something I don't think will happen), so Nyuon could definitely be an option in the rookie/Pre-season draft.

Essendon do need to draft/get a ruckman in: I'd suggest Smith or Leuy will end up their, but they do probably need a ruckman coming in this year or next. With next years draft 'ruckman stronger', they may look to next year to bring in a young ruckman.

Here is my top 10 as it stands today. I'll be in charge of Richmond's drafting in the Big Footy Phantom Draft, before finally updating my power rankings, phantom draft and profiles in the lead up to the draft.

NOTE: Heights & Weights are all pre-combine.

AjIVXGV.png

Here is my top 10 as it stands today. I'll be in charge of Richmond's drafting in the Big Footy Phantom Draft, before finally updating my power rankings, phantom draft and profiles in the lead up to the draft.

NOTE: Heights & Weights are all pre-combine.

AjIVXGV.png

People have Hipwood in the top 10 now notice has not in your's where do you see him going in the draft

That would be nice as Carlton will take Francis next.

Wouldn't Carlton take McKay then?

I think any rebuilding club needs to get their KPF's this year, as next year is light on.

I think any rebuilding club needs to get their KPF's this year, as next year is light on.
Francis. More important to draft players with mental strength and elite talent than reach for needs. McKay could be the next Vickery. Harder to find a Joe Daniher.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People have Hipwood in the top 10 now notice has not in your's where do you see him going in the draft

I have Hipwood in my top 10 Power Rankins- Which is just my rating on the best players. I've actually got Hipwood being the next pick (which Carlton bidding on him), no question he has great talent & at 200cm he's very athletic and can play a both ends. Come draft night, I reckon he will be around Pick 10 when bidded on.

That would be nice as Carlton will take Francis next.

I've got Carlton taking McKay rather than Francis. The potential for McKay is enormous, being 7 days off being next years draft crop. He plays Key Position forward, where as Francis is more of a general defender & won't playing as the number 1 tall at any end for example. Francis is a big chance to slide to the Crows pick after the Blues- But I can see either the Blues or Crows taking McKay/Francis.

With picks 8 and 11 Carlton should take best available. We need elite talent everywhere. We can fill needs later.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

With picks 8 and 11 Carlton should take best available. We need elite talent everywhere. We can fill needs later.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I'd still pick McKay anyway. 'Elite' gets thrown around too often. I'd rather a key position forward who will be Carlton's number 1 forward than a third tall defender.

I'd still pick McKay anyway. 'Elite' gets thrown around too often. I'd rather a key position forward who will be Carlton's number 1 forward than a third tall defender.

It seems Francis is being pigeon holed as a defender lately... I see him as one of the real game changers in this draft and once he builds his fitness to teh AFL level he will play high midfield rotations.

I would be ropeable. I think I would pick out a new sport to follow... Do we play curling in Australia?
Follow Taekwondo :thumbsu:

Adelaide won't mind one bit! Top 3 talent every day of the week. If the home sickness thing is real than that could be the explanation for his falling down the order.
It'd be confusing for me. He's said he's an Essendon fan, his whole family is, and recently said in an interview that he'd love to play for Essendon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back