Mega Thread Buckley coaching mega thread volume II

Remove this Banner Ad

Instead of debating Buckley, can we debate Leading Teams instead? Leading Teams created the environment where Lumumba lost his cool at a team meeting. Leading Teams created the environment that lead to Keeffe and Young being voted into the leadership group. Beams admits he doesn't like Leading Teams and this may have influenced his decision to leave. Buckley has enough experience now as senior coach to dispense with Leading Teams. Our previous coach doesn't like Leading Teams. Why don't we get rid of Leading Teams?

Leading Teams also created the environemnt at Hawthorn that resulted in back-to-back flags.

D
Leading Teams also created the environemnt at Hawthorn that resulted in back-to-back flags.
does anybody actually know what role that leading teams played with Hawthorn?
At Geelong(2006-2010 I think) the cats had an LT official working on a regular weekly basis with the club!(similar to Collingwood now!)
It is my understanding that Hawthorn only used Leading Teams on a consultancy basis? This could mean a once a year seminar or just basically available when needed or called upon?
I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong Jmac but I'm a bit dubious that LT may overplay their hand a little bit when it comes to the Hawks?

I think bucks felt that with the list he had post 2012 it was only gonna be a middle of the road team for the next few yrs. So he felt that it was best if we regenerated the list and become a powerhouse in 5 yrs time. I think most supporters struggle to see the bigger picture and believe that bucks is tearing this team apart . When in fact he is preventing us from going down the path of becoming a north melb or richmond or a freo team,teams that will always be competitive come the end of the season but will struggle to make it to the gf and win the cup. I think bucks move will pay of big time in yrs to come.

D
does anybody actually know what role that leading teams played with Hawthorn?
At Geelong(2006-2010 I think) the cats had an LT official working on a regular weekly basis with the club!(similar to Collingwood now!)
It is my understanding that Hawthorn only used Leading Teams on a consultancy basis? This could mean a once a year seminar or just basically available when needed or called upon?
I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong Jmac but I'm a bit dubious that LT may overplay their hand a little bit when it comes to the Hawks?

I believe an "external facilitator" is involved but I don't know how often. My use of Hawthorn as an example was to illustrate that the overall philosophy may not be the "cancer" that some posters seem to think it is. From what I have read it is basically a way of empowering players to take responsibility for their development in an open and honest manner. Like anything it is not going to suit all players. If Beams really doesn't like the approach it is up to Buckley to find other means of engaging him.

I have a real problem with people continually refer to Buckley's oratory skills because what I see are honest answers.
Doesn't shirk answers, speaks honestly, proportions blame to himself where warranted.
I don't see him any different to the majority of other coaches (except one) when talking to the press.

Which brings me to my original question - should his position only be assessed at end of season (McKenna, Sanderson) or should there be a possibility of him going during the season if he's not performing? (Voss, Primis)

Personally I think Buckley needs to enjoy 100% support during the season, so there is "no excuses" when he's reviewed end of season.

Unfortunately we only get sound bites when we see him in the media. When he's got the chance to dive deeper into a topic it's apparent that his oratory skills are more than that of a politician ... He's got an encyclopaedic knowledge and deep strategic thinking behind those words.
My view is he deserves full support of everyone, however I'm not confident he has 100% support from the players, which potentially may cost him his job.
There is no doubt in my mind he can coach. He has an enormous knowledge of the game, and is always impressive with the media.
The draw for 2015 will potentially be very costly for him. If we get a tough start and reach the half way mark with a 3-8 record, he'll be as good as gone. If it's 5-6 or better, he should survive the year and beyond unless it's clear he's lost the players.
It all come down to the players.

Buckley on Beams a few hours ago
" He's a contracted player. We're still in dialogue and our preference is still that he stays with the football club and that we find a way to meet his family concerns, but that will take some time."

It would be so funny if Beams ends up staying - I wonder whether those who imagine all the so called Buckley conflicts with players will still post?

No need to imagine, this morning on SEN Bucks himself said "we understand the pull of the family and obviously there are couple of other factors that made his decision easier" "and we're hoping to rectify his family's concerns"

and when asked whether him challenging the players has caused friction he said "yes absolutely there's been conflict, how can you succeed without conflict? But its not as bad or as good as being reported"

I'm here to help :)

Last edited:
No need to imagine, this morning on SEN Bucks himself said "we understand the pull of the family and obviously there are couple of other factors that made his decision easier" "and we're hoping to rectify his family's concerns"

and when asked whether him challenging the players has caused friction he said "yes absolutely there's been conflict, how can you succeed without conflict? But its not as bad or as good as being reported"

I'm here to help :)

I suppose that there is 'conflict', then there is 'conflict'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suppose that there is 'conflict', then there is 'conflict'.

Very interesting interview on SEN with Dane Swan this afternoon, he confirmed the following:
- group is closer than it has been for a long time.
- the environment NOW encourages young players to contribute and that everyone has a say, not just the same people as occurred before
- young players can contribute without the fear of being ridiculed

When asked if it was true that greater closeness amongst all the group, could be because there were fewer cliques than than in the past, he said yes.

If this is how LT is changing culture at the club - its very encouraging and the pain will be worth it.

Oh
Very interesting interview on SEN with Dane Swan this afternoon, he confirmed the following:
- the environment NOW encourages young players to contribute and that everyone has a say, not just the same people as occurred before

When asked if it was true that greater closeness amongst all the group, could be because there were fewer cliques than than in the past, he said yes.

If this is how LT is changing culture at the club - its very encouraging and the pain will be worth it.
Oh no, they got to Swanny too! Now he's lying his arse off about how good it is at the Pies. I'm over this s**t! :p

Thanks, really appreciate this.

My first comments about Bucks.

It's always hard when you see one of the greatest players of all time coach his club and be universally panned for not only his performance but also the clubs performance. Of course the coach is there to not only be considered a genius when the side is going well but also the cause of unrest when the club is failing in the eyes of its passionate supporters.

I've had my doubts over the past 6 months about the capabilities of Bucks as a coach, as have others, hence my taking a deep breath and not making knee jerk comments.

He strikes me as a person who will leave no stone unturned in his quest for the side to perform as it should. His professionalism and thirst for perfection not only in the playing group but also his coaching staff leaves me with a lot of hope.

From what I've read and heard he appears to have a core group of players that have bought into his vision and are very bullish about the future. It also appears to have been difficult for some experienced players who had a different mindset under Mick to have grasped this new direction, and as a result appear to be somewhat on the outer.

The players that appear to be in the Bucks camp are young, skilled and hungry and I for one, although expecting an up and down season next year, can't wait to see their progression.

TBH, if the place is such a mess as many are proclaiming, would a bloke such as Swanny have signed on again if he was unable to embrace the Bucks direction.

Bring on 2015, be realistic in our expectations, and who knows, this current group of Collingwood players could just surprise and give us an unbelievable hope for the future.

Well it's so great we have such a tight group that finishes 11th but I'd prefer a team with cliques that wins a premiership.

Well it's so great we have such a tight group that finishes 11th but I'd prefer a team with cliques that wins a premiership.
I agree entirely with these sentiments, heck West Coast managed a flag with a rampaging group of gearheads.

If Buckley has balls he won't trade Beams. The stuff about him wanting to go home to his Dad is B.S. That prick couldn't even have the decency to attend an end of year of award to thank Collingwood for his time. I'm fed up with players walking out. Get tough Buckley don't trade. Stuff him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back