Cale Hooker = pick 25 + 26

Remove this Banner Ad

He can break even with the league's best forwards?

Pfft, I've seen Dawes break even with the league's best defenders too. Doesn't mean much. Also, Dawes' role was different in 2012 as he was playing a role he was not suited to.

Hooker is an ordinary footballer. There's no two ways about this.
Can I have an example of this, not just one, multiple examples. I also said he can beat them as well by the way.

Not sure why Hooker would refuse to move. Clearly his club doesn't rate him and wanted to move him on. I'd be moving to a club that actually wanted my services. Awkward, I reckon.
Yep, pretty much that.

It seems Essendon have been trying to offload him for 12 months now and it's not hard to see why, with J Daniher coming in and Gumby possibly back to playing footy again, likely to push Hurley or Ryder back and Hooker out of the team.
West Coast only wanted him to sit in the WAFL and cover any injuries.
For next year. After that he almost certainly would have basically been given a plum role in their defence for the forseeable future, as Glass is almost certain to retire then. He might get pushed out of the starting 22 at Essendon next year anyway.

Long term I would think there was much more likelihood of him playing lots of senior AFL footy by going to West Coast, rather than staying at Essendon and being possibly behind all of Fletcher, Carlisle, Hurley/Ryder and Pears.

Reckon that Essendon would be spewing that he turned down the deal. I wouldn't have been surprised if Essendon's pick 36 would have been coming back to us though, if that deal had gone through. Hard to imagine them not pushing him out the door if was just simply Hooker for 25 and 26 and not Hooker and 36 for 25 and 26.

Sounds like a lot of recruiters just don't rate the draft.
You could read it that way, but on the other hand, Geelong were apparently prepared to trade 16 for our 25 and 26, to help get the deal done, so they obviously think there will be plenty of talent still available at 25 and 26. They really know what they are doing at Geelong, especially with regards to drafting.

Got to say, I'm pretty happy that Cale changed his mind, although I hear we had another deal that we were going to do with GWS, if the Brown deal went through, that would have moved us back into the 1st round.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/brown-to-stay-in-west-saints-trade-cripps-20121026-28b76.html

This perfectly illustrates why supply and demand determine the trade price of the player. It's not necessarily saying that Hooker is a better player than Kurt Tippet for example but when there is a demand for key defenders - St Kilda were after desperately and WC wanted a replacement for Brown if they were to allow to leave - the price obviously goes up when there isn't sufficient supply. The fact that Hooker and Brown are still contracted also played a part in the high price.

:confused:

So huge KPF's aren't in big demand and short supply? Here I was thinking Tippett and Cloke had been fielding massive offers from multiple teams.

Hooker was good early in the year, but let's not pretend he's Fletcher or Scarlett. KPDs will always be in short supply, and someone (maybe Saints again) will be just as desperate next year.

'Bombers were offered selections 25 and 26 in exchange for Hooker from the West Coast.'

Interesting to see.
Plenty of people wrote Hooker of as un-tradeable spud.
Plenty of currency it seems, 2 early second rounders.
Also got some good offers for pears.
Another vindication for essendon in the Caddy saga.
Where is Mufassa?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hooker is a solid defender. Was a good junior sprinter but had to change his running style because he kept doing hammies.
When the midfield has held it's own he has looked fantastic.
Probably not going to get a better deal than 25+26 but shows at least he has good value.

Don't buy it myself, and Vozzo is on the record saying it was not the case and Brown was never on the table. Pickering has talked a lot sh*t this trade period...this is probably just another serve.
I think it's pretty safe to say that Vozzo is lying so that it doesn't look like he folded on his earlier promise that Brown wouldn't be up for trade.

It has been confirmed by both Scott Watters and also on the Essendon website that the deal that would see Hooker get to West Coast and Brown to St Kilda only fell through because Hooker didn't agree to go there and Essendon didn't push him out the door, once he told them he didn't want to go.

Unless both Essendon and St Kilda, plus Pickering, have gotten together to make up an incredibly elaborate lie, then it is Vozzo who is lying.

I think it's pretty safe to say that Vozzo is lying so that it doesn't look like he folded on his earlier promise that Brown wouldn't be up for trade.

It has been confirmed by both Scott Watters and also on the Essendon website that the deal that would see Hooker get to West Coast and Brown to St Kilda only fell through because Hooker didn't agree to go there and Essendon didn't push him out the door, once he told them he didn't want to go.

Unless both Essendon and St Kilda, plus Pickering, have gotten together to make up an incredibly elaborate lie, then it is Vozzo who is lying.
Possibly, or it's equally likely that the Saints and Essendon were working on a deal they thought would get Brown to St Kilda and West Coast had nothing to do with it. Hooker refusing to go may have just short circuited the deal before it was even presented to West Coast.

I recommend you watch the first 14 rounds of the season when Hooker barely got beaten, and beat players such as Petrie, Waite, Riewoldt, J.Brown and broke even with Cloke and Pavlich. Who knows, if he had played forward all season for us he probably would have kicked more goals than Dawes.

Dude please, common sense and rational thought has no place here

:confused:

So huge KPF's aren't in big demand and short supply? Here I was thinking Tippett and Cloke had been fielding massive offers from multiple teams.
Tippett restricting his choice of teams to one severely cuts down the demand. Cloke didn't even get to trade week. But then again you missed my point about trade currency not necessarily being equal to contract worth

Tippett restricting his choice of teams to one severely cuts down the demand. Cloke didn't even get to trade week. But then again you missed my point about trade currency not necessarily being equal to contract worth

No, I didn't. I would think the AFL being unwilling to approve the offer that Sydney tabled for Tippett would suggest that your point is just wrong. If a team offers a player a contract that puts them into the echelon of highest paid players in the league, then the AFL is going to be looking to make sure that the assets offered in return via a trade are a reflecition of that.

I remember being quietly chuffed when we turned down pick 20 from Sydney for Ray Hall. It didn't last long.

And Hooker is no Ray Hall!

Funny. Dons can't trade for shit

I really don't think us not getting roped into a 3 way deal we weren't desperate to make and not getting rid of a required and contracted player because he rightfully wanted to play out his contract implies we can't trade for shit. Not saying we can't, but this doesn't really illustrate it at all.

I recommend you watch the first 14 rounds of the season when Hooker barely got beaten, and beat players such as Petrie, Waite, Riewoldt, J.Brown and broke even with Cloke and Pavlich. Who knows, if he had played forward all season for us he probably would have kicked more goals than Dawes.

Round 1
BEST
North Melbourne:
Wells, Swallow, Petrie, Firrito, Adams, Harper, Thomas
Essendon: Stanton, Watson, Heppell, Myers, Hille, Hibberd, Zaharakis

Yeah massive win for Hooker - his opponent was named 3rd best on ground. I suppose if this hack keeps his opponant out of the 2 top then he has had a win. He was actully so good on Petrie in round 1 they sent Fletcher to him next time Ess played the Roos.

The bloke is slow and his foot skills are disgusting. They worked him out in the the 2nd half of the year and opposition coaches tried to get the ball into his hands as he panics under pressure. The biggest gift of the draft was knocked back - Crazy Hirdy!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back