Changes vs Sydney (R6) - Salem to debut

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Tippett out you'd think Garland won't play - doesn't sound like he's aerobically fit enough to play on Jetta or Rohan yet, and Reid is coming back from injury (if he plays at all) so Dunn or TMac should be able to handle him and Goodes (also coming back from injury). Swing Frawley back to play on Buddy. It's not worth playing Garland when his VFL review makes him sound very underdone and we don't need to cover Tippett.

That being said, it could potentially be worthwhile playing him forward to replace Chip. Would that be more or less strenuous than having to play a run-with role in defence?

I don't think Roos would risk him if there was any doubt. He would know that we have depth issues ATM, and the injury to Judd would be a reminder to all. Probably the same thing with Goodes, that blokes gotta be 30+ by now doesn't he?

I don't think Roos would risk him if there was any doubt. He would know that we have depth issues ATM, and the injury to Judd would be a reminder to all. Probably the same thing with Goodes, that blokes gotta be 30+ by now doesn't he?

Goodes is 34/35 I think

The only change I think should be made is Terlich for Clisby or Strauss. I'd like to get rid of Spencer, since his ruckwork is atrocious, but I'm not sure that Jamar or Gawn are ready yet. Howe was on the verge of being dropped but seems to slowly be getting some form and getting involved more. Jetta, while poor on the weekend, was not alone there and if it takes a string of really good games to get in the side it should take more than one bad game to get dropped. Obviously we don't want to be carrying s**t players, since we can't really afford to, but I think he should be given another week or two to get settled.

The only change I think should be made is Terlich for Clisby or Strauss. I'd like to get rid of Spencer, since his ruckwork is atrocious, but I'm not sure that Jamar or Gawn are ready yet. Howe was on the verge of being dropped but seems to slowly be getting some form and getting involved more. Jetta, while poor on the weekend, was not alone there and if it takes a string of really good games to get in the side it should take more than one bad game to get dropped. Obviously we don't want to be carrying s**t players, since we can't really afford to, but I think he should be given another week or two to get settled.
He played 2 good games, how is this a strong of them? Give him the whole season and you'll all still see phantom potential.

I'm sick of losing like everyone else but it's not like we lost a match we were supposed to win. We were expected to lose and that's what happened. It's going to be another long year but at least we look more competitive and until we rid the dead wood, and bring in AFL standard players we can only use what we have.
Yah but we're expected to lose every game

Outsider question, seems as if Howe doesn't have a set position which he can hold down. Where is he playing this year? + Where do you guys reckon he'll end up playing throughout his career?
You would think he should be played as a forward, because, you know, he is a forward. However, we don't really like doing that around here. My guess is, he'll end up in the ruck because that's the only position we haven't tried him. See Watts for a test case, and Dunn.

I'm happy with Howe getting some time in defense. He could end up a gun there with more experience.
He could well, but even if he's not a permanent defender it's a good option to have - both for the team (if we need a loose man or a particular match up), and for his own form given how often he can go missing deep forward in this team.

He played 2 good games, how is this a strong of them? Give him the whole season and you'll all still see phantom potential.
Not saying he is suddenly going to become a star (and I don't think he should've been re-rookied either), but he was given a chance off some good VFL form (granted a small sample size). Give him another week or 2 and if he's still doing nothing swing the axe. Howe has done nothing in his 5 games this year, but isn't being talked about as a candidate to be dropped. Terlich has also been poor pretty much all year, but has survived. Spencer should be out as soon as Gawn or Jamar are fit. If we're going to get rid of anyone it should be the consistently bad performers.*

*I know Jetta has been s**t for us for years (and will probably continue to be), but clean slate and all that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

50/50 split on Jetta but I agree with those who say give him a week , if you want to drop him cause he has been crap in the past may as well dump half the list

If kent is fit then in and maybe toumpas for either terlich or georgiou purely for team balance as we need someone who kicks well I'm defence

Garland an jamar need more VFL time and make Salem continue to perform in the VFL , we want a month of solid performance as a minimum not 2 games

I get the feeling that Roos is trying to expose Howe to a more defensive mindset - he was offered a very loose/roamnig role previously, and Roos doesnt like that. Throwing him into defense is just helping learn some tighter defensive traits, and thats why we are seeing a lesser impact from Howe early in the year. He'll throw him back forward again at some point.

Also, I was thinking that with Strauss showing some reasonable VFL form, it wouldnt surprise me if he gets a run soon - more just for Roos to make his mind up about de-listing him at year end.

I have been advocating salem not play yet, however if Paul Roos decides he is ready ill be damn excited to see this kid play

I think Roosy won't pick him - he'll tell him he's in the mix no doubt, but I think that's part of Roosy's approach.

Make blokes so desperate to get a game in the ones that they'll do anything to get there and keep their spot.

I think Roosy won't pick him - he'll tell him he's in the mix no doubt, but I think that's part of Roosy's approach.

Make blokes so desperate to get a game in the ones that they'll do anything to get there and keep their spot.

Yeah after reading what he said , He basically said he wants guys to set it on fire for more than a couple games so I think you are spot on

He is dangling the first team carrot but wont allow people to grab it easily

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back