Opinion Could Selwood perform better than Ablett in 2014?

Remove this Banner Ad

>Fyfe :)
but I left him out for a reason
I look at it different to most here. I rate leadership. I believe our midfield has never performed better. I think that last year we got further than we should have because of it. To think we made it to the prelim and gave it a good shake for a while. What other team without a functioning ruck division could ever boast that? I have heard a few say Selwood is of the Michael Voss mold, and I would agree with that. Selwood has not had a team under him of the calibre Voss had, but hopefully that will happen for him.

I look at it different to most here. I rate leadership. I believe our midfield has never performed better. I think that last year we got further than we should have because of it. To think we made it to the prelim and gave it a good shake for a while. What other team without a functioning ruck division could ever boast that? I have heard a few say Selwood is of the Michael Voss mold, and I would agree with that. Selwood has not had a team under him of the calibre Voss had, but hopefully that will happen for him.
We as supporters rate the lot, but people who support other clubs only rate by what they see based on skill. They rate Selwood a top 5 2014 and SJ not even top 10 and I don't get how it works.

We as supporters rate the lot, but people who support other clubs only rate by what they see based on skill. They rate Selwood a top 5 2014 and SJ not even top 10 and I don't get how it works.

That is true.

And also people's opinions can be swayed by media background noise. SJ not being in the top 10 is hilarious. But I have been amused by opinions like this. I loved it when Geelong were too old and too slow in 2011. And I like it that they are saying Hawthorn is the best team by far this season and Geelong will just scrape into the 8.... maybe. Are that still saying that? I bet David King is. :D

That is true.

And also people's opinions can be swayed by media background noise. SJ not being in the top 10 is hilarious. But I have been amused by opinions like this. I loved it when Geelong were too old and too slow in 2011. And I like it that they are saying Hawthorn is the best team by far this season and Geelong will just scrape into the 8.... maybe. Are that still saying that? I bet David King is. :D

For such a powerhouse over the last 7 or so years, why are we always underdogs and classed as old and slow I agree that this is hilarious and based of this years games I think its inevitable that either SJ or JS will win the Brownlow Medal

The umpires rated SJ last year, did they not? I'm surprised the media haven't got a hold of that and run with it. I guess it's the Stevie J brain fades that prevent them from seeing the good in him but that's Ok- I love it when people like him can slip under the radar. Right now, teams haven't worked out whether to put hard tags, or run with players, on SJ, Selwood or Stokesy- they're working out different combinations during each game we play them. Let's hope they don't figure out the correct combination until a GF has been won by the Cats ;)

That is true.

Unfortunately the Cats have now slipped comfortably into the second line of betting for the Premiership. I'd prefer if we stayed around 5th, quite a bit down, and just rocketed to the top in the last round of finals. Too late to be the hunted :)

For such a powerhouse over the last 7 or so years, why are we always underdogs and classed as old and slow I agree that this is hilarious and based of this years games I think its inevitable that either SJ or JS will win the Brownlow Medal
AFL's talking heads are from where? Carlton, Richmond, Essendon, Hawthorn, and Collingwood.

Geelong Newbies like Ling have yet to really find their voice.

Dermie said that there is much improvement in Hawthorn, but that Geelong played out of its skin. We are still not close to Hawthorn. We were just lucky, and that.

Unfortunately the Cats have now slipped comfortably into the second line of betting for the Premiership. I'd prefer if we stayed around 5th, quite a bit down, and just rocketed to the top in the last round of finals. Too late to be the hunted :)
I think there should be cameras trained on all the David Kings in the media in the dying minutes of this year's GF. :D

I think there should be cameras trained on all the David Kings in the media in the dying minutes of this year's GF. :D

I wonder what he thinks we're missing now- I loved the video clip "to David King from Geelong" (shorts of AFL 360). And really loved Mark Robinson getting stuck into King, asking him why he's never given the Cats any credit for anything, ending with 'You're pathetic' as King tries to avoid the discussion by giving his Norm nomination. Would love to see a repeat of that this year, with Hawthorn in Collingwood's position and the Cats just playing their part. Would've been nice last year- imagine King saying he didn't know how we would win without a recognised ruckman, then the Cats barrelling their way through the finals, stomping on the opposition, then knocking off the Hawks in the GF and a sequel to the first "to David King from Geelong" coming out ;)

Sigh- it was not to be... but I can dream, can't I?

I think it's cause people still see him as a forward pocket I guess. He's always been awesome but they just aren't used to comparing him against the likes of Fyfe et al now. Plus he *s up a lot!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ablett is best in the comp but the gap is closing-he is no longer head and shoulders ahead of the next rung. Selwood is on the second line and Stevie J is in best form of his fantastic career. And I like both of them more than I like Gaz. Selwood,for all his accolades is underrated. People don't actually seem to realize how beautiful his skills are. Would love for him to win a Brownlow.

AFL's talking heads are from where? Carlton, Richmond, Essendon, Hawthorn, and Collingwood.

Geelong Newbies like Ling have yet to really find their voice.

Dermie said that there is much improvement in Hawthorn, but that Geelong played out of its skin. We are still not close to Hawthorn. We were just lucky, and that.
He is bias

Gazza will be hard to beat, but if Roo keeps up his form he might be a smokey too. I'm not sure if Selwood will perform better than Gazza though. Sels is an inside midfielder, while gazza is really an outside mid, more in the Pendlebury mode. So they're different types of players, in some respects. Makes them harder to compare. I think you could compare Sels to a player like Swan.
Sorry Blakey, have to disagree with you about Ablett - he is both an inside and an outside mid; watching him today , he gets the hard ball from inside packs , dishes out incredible handpasses, gets back out and gets the ball again, lays off multiple tackles, kicks impossible goals, we all know his bag of tricks, but much more than that, he is the total package. To call him an outside mid is an inaccuracy.They are comparable. Selwood is fantastic, glad he's ours, ABLETT is the best ever -- they both are.

SJ at his best is top 5 for sure, but the problem is his best and worst are a fair way apart, when he has a stinker, he can turn it over a fair bit. Which would probably lower his standings in a lot of people's eyes.

Sorry Blakey, have to disagree with you about Ablett - he is both an inside and an outside mid; watching him today , he gets the hard ball from inside packs , dishes out incredible handpasses, gets back out and gets the ball again, lays off multiple tackles, kicks impossible goals, we all know his bag of tricks, but much more than that, he is the total package. To call him an outside mid is an inaccuracy.They are comparable. Selwood is fantastic, glad he's ours, ABLETT is the best ever -- they both are.
Now that he is an old fart he plays mainly outside. Will go inside when the game gets tight. From what I have seen.

Last edited:
To be fair, Selwood is a few years behind G. Ablett in experience. He'll get better at turning it his way when it's gone sour.

I would love to see Joel Selwood overtake Ablett as the best player in the competition, but it doesn't look likely to happen this year. Last year I was so disappointed when Selwood just missed out on the brownlow medal, which was due to him being a bit too patchy and inconsistent. Selwood had sections of the year in which he polled EXTREMELY well, then other patches where he struggled. I was also disappointed with Steve Johnson not being eligible for the brownlow medal, as polled 25 votes, while missing 6 games during the season due to injury and suspensions. If he hadn't had been suspended at all in 2013, I can say, with confidence, that he would have been a BIG contender for the brownlow medal, if not won it. Anyway, getting back to Selsy, I think e part of his game that he can improve on is his week-in week out consistency, and also his ability to shake off a tag. He is too often being tagged out of games, while Gary Ablett, the best player in the competition at this point in time is quite good at dealing with tags from players such as Maccafer, Langford, Crowley, etc. joel Selwood is still such an important player for us, and I hope that he can improve as he hits his prime. Hopefully he can find some form after going missing at some stages this season. But the way he played against adelaide in Rnd 1 was great.

I would love to see Joel Selwood overtake Ablett as the best player in the competition, but it doesn't look likely to happen this year. Last year I was so disappointed when Selwood just missed out on the brownlow medal, which was due to him being a bit too patchy and inconsistent. Selwood had sections of the year in which he polled EXTREMELY well, then other patches where he struggled. I was also disappointed with Steve Johnson not being eligible for the brownlow medal, as polled 25 votes, while missing 6 games during the season due to injury and suspensions. If he hadn't had been suspended at all in 2013, I can say, with confidence, that he would have been a BIG contender for the brownlow medal, if not won it. Anyway, getting back to Selsy, I think e part of his game that he can improve on is his week-in week out consistency, and also his ability to shake off a tag. He is too often being tagged out of games, while Gary Ablett, the best player in the competition at this point in time is quite good at dealing with tags from players such as Maccafer, Langford, Crowley, etc. joel Selwood is still such an important player for us, and I hope that he can improve as he hits his prime. Hopefully he can find some form after going missing at some stages this season. But the way he played against adelaide in Rnd 1 was great.

Good thing is Selwood gets a chance to improve that this week. Won't be easy winning touches against Fremantle, great opportunity to show his further improvement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back