Frawley to Join Hawks. (Pick 3 to the Dees)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm just sick of it. I'm getting sick of the 'sport'. It feels like Melbourne get shafted year on year. A lot of which is through no fault of their own.

Don't get me wrong, they've been s**t. There's been administrative awfulness and a terrible coach.

But, some examples, just over the last few years.

- A #1 overall draft pick walking out on the club two years after being drafted because of a startup club. AFL says 'everyone must lose to get these clubs going'.
- A continued FIXture providing terrible financial drawings to the club. We haven't played Carlton as a home game in 6 years IIRC and we've only played Essendon as a home game once in the last decade. No Friday night football in 3 years either. Meanwhile, we get games like Port Adelaide (before they came good) on Easter Sunday at 1:10 and Gold Coast on Mother's Day at 4:40.
- An investigation run based off an interview given by an ex-player on a talk show, when similar comments by an ex-coach on another talk show regarding a different team were blatantly ignored. Regardless of what the actual outcome was, the way that Melbourne cops a full-blown tanking investigation but Carlton is completely ignored is just stupid.
- One of their only All-Australian players having his walking from the club presided over by the AFL re-defining their rules on the fly.

The AFL is trying to improve Melbourne by appointing adminstrators and coaches, but continues to totally shaft Melbourne by not attempting to equalise all the stumbling blocks.

You watch. Watch this year if Nathan Jones doesn't sign. Watch every man and his dog call him 'gone' straight away and speculate all year on Melbourne losing another senior player. Watch everyone come out and claim he's not worth a first round draft pick. Watch as Melbourne get scheduled to play non-Victorian sides for 7 of their 11 home games but apparently we don't deserve Queen's Birthday either.

I hate the administration of this game with regards to Melbourne. I'm expected - yes, expected - to buy tickets, buy memberships, show up, and support. If I don't I'm not a 'true' footy fan.

I've seen ten wins in the last eight years by Melbourne.

Football is quickly becoming an exercise in torture. I love the NFL now. You know why? Because ultimately, when it comes down to it, it's fair. Free agency compensation is defined a year later based on relative gains and losses in your playing group. If you lost good players and didn't get replacement quality you'll get higher picks. The salary cap is enforced hard. No extra bits for anyone. The teams all have the same opportunities open to them, and it's up to them to innovate. The schedule is pre-determined when it comes to who is playing who. The prime-time games are capped per team and there are also minimums per team.
I can certainly see where you're coming from. I have some pretty ordinary memories of Hawthorn teams back in the 2000s when Crawford was one of our few shining lights and I would've been devastated had he left on a free agency deal.

All I can say is if you hang tough and keep on supporting the club the rain clouds will eventually pass and it will feel so good knowing you stuck by them. Melbourne have had big issues with their culture but with the new CEO and Roos I think they are finally turning that around. You must hate hearing people telling you to be patient after you've already been patient for so long but massive changes do take time to effect.

Well big boy McEvoy hasn't reached any great heights yet, so we'll see what he does in his second year.

although the way he played in the granny was promising , i think that could be his new role with celglar first ruck and him playing hales role another pre season of learning how to play as fwd he could become pretty dangerous

Yes, obviously I was describing the situation under which Sydney has been able to operate in the past (and directly responding to Swans fans that think COLA couldn't have been used for redistribution across the list in uneven amounts if desired).

Have the AFL actually announced what system they ARE moving to next year, or how they are handling the transition? It would seem harsh if they completely turn the tap off completely from day 1.

You are talking about a situation that you know has changed but don't know .... you aren't fair dinkum.

I can certainly see where you're coming from. I have some pretty ordinary memories of Hawthorn teams back in the 2000s when Crawford was one of our few shining lights and I would've been devastated had he left on a free agency deal.

All I can say is if you hang tough and keep on supporting the club the rain clouds will eventually pass and it will feel so good knowing you stuck by them. Melbourne have had big issues with their culture but with the new CEO and Roos I think they are finally turning that around. You must hate hearing people telling you to be patient after you've already been patient for so long but massive changes do take time to effect.

Both Roos & Jackson were attracted to Melbourne by the money - this change of culture the club is going thru is a figment of your imagination, Scully was unimpressed with the old culture, Frawley clearly wasn't convinced, Clark didn't want to go back .... what changes have occurred at board level that indicate its not the same old ..

Hawthorn offered him unders because the AFL rules meant that even though MFC front loaded Frawley, he became an UFA because he was not in the highest 25% of players. But this rule came in 2 years after Melbourne signed him. If he was a restricted FA then Melbourne could have matched the offer or forced the Hawks, or someone else, to pay more for him. The rules here have disempowered Melbourne. He might not be in Hawthorn's best 10 players but he is in Melbourne's best five and they effectively are not allowed to bid to keep him. It is a legitimate disgrace that Melb might get pick 3, but it is also a disgrace that a player can leave a bottom team after eight years and go to the premier, and Melb cannot even effectively bid for his services.
Do u honestly believe that if u offered him more money he wud stay? He us leaving for success and its not the AFL fault u guys arent sucessful. Melbourne has been baddly in the last 10 years so its no wonder their top tier players want to leave.

Obviously, ur post is just about making Hawthorn pay more than they wud like. How does this help solve the problems of free agency??

People talking about Frawley and his disposal he doesn't have to use it in the Hawks team that's what blokes like Gibson, Burgoyne, Suckling, and Burchall are used for

Agreed, surprising people keep bringing it up. It may be a problem for a team that doesn't have elite ball users in the back half, we have plenty.

His instructed will be to simply hand pass it to Birchall, Gibson, Burgoyne, Hodge, Suckling, etc. Lake's disposal isn't flash, but it was not a problem.

The Melbourne sooking is pathetic, the club has been gifted multiple first round picks, they have been given concessions and have had every chance in the world to develop a strong list. The club through it's own lack of due diligence have made mistakes, they have employed the wrong coaches and development staff, they have failed in recycling castaways and have talented players in turn walked away from the club because of a failed business model, as a collective the place has been a shambles for a long time. The very last club in the AFL I'd want to play for would be St.Kilda, but I dare say 2nd to most would be Melbourne and it's sad. As a true and proud Victorian I would love nothing more than to see the club that represents out states capital to be successful, and I actually believe it's time the AFL steps in and takes over the administration for it to prosper.

625K over 4, according to Denham in the AUS, and he's usually pretty accurate on these matters.

Last edited:
This sort of s**t was always going to happen when the idiot AFL introduced free agency.

Strong clubs were only ever going to be the ones that gain from it. Yes, it's great for Hawthorn but as a football fan the whole premise of this disgusts me. I wasn't happy about the Franklin deal so it would be hypocritical to say that I am happy about this one.

The system is so very, very flawed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

no rage champ, just pointing out the facts. If you could pick between two jobs which were the same but one was 2½ hours further away and paying 150K less per year, which would you choose?

I like how this has somehow become a fact..

Hawthorn are going down the Carlton path ,they are getting old fast , sure hawthorn will still be successful for 1 maybe 2 more years but when they lose about 6 to 8 current players ,get ready for years of pain ,I have no doubt this will happen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back