General AFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

What a goal saving smother from Mitch Robinson. Actually don't mind the bloke, gives his all. Carlton could use him about now.

He can play footy, but him splitting from Carlton was a good thing for him.

I tell you what, if we were playing against this Sydney team that's lining up tonight, I'd give us a huge chance.

Bring the pressure & their kicking skills go to water

On cue, Adam Goodes just runs away from Ollie Wines like he's a statue & goals from 40m.... Wow, the old bloke still has some toe (either that or Ollie is a snail)

Lazy football by Port. No one could have predicted the fall in form they've had this year.

They're 4 goals down to a Sydney side without their two key forwards and key defender (and Gary Rohan, who along with Ted came off injured during the course of play, meaning the Swans are a player down).

Still a quarter to play, but Port are not playing good football.

Oh, and Broadbent's an arsehole.

That Goodes goal was something special.

On the other hand, Shaw's inability to kick on his left foot is embarrassing. How is it possible that he delivers three bananas in general play (that I've seen) when he's been playing AFL for that long? All s**t kicks, by the way.
If you've watched Sydney as closely as me, my missus is a big Swans fan so all their games are a must see event, you'll realise their entire team is full of very very average kickers.

Smith, Grundy, Shaw, JPK, Jack, Laidler, Mitchell, Pyke, Richards, Jetta, Rohan, Parker are all very average field kickers. When teams bring enough pressure, it stands out like a sore thumb. The reason they can accommodate such a high number of poor kicks in their team is their competitiveness, their numbers to the contest, their ability to win the contested ball, their spread & their team first discipline all over the field.

Now I know some people will jump on me & show me DE% suggest otherwise, but remember that if a kicked ball is gathered on the bounce by a team mate, it's still an effective disposal. This happens A LOT in Sydney's general play because their kicks are average. If your opposition applied enough pressure to enough of these kicks, 50% of them will be turned over.

If you've watched Sydney as closely as me, my missus is a big Swans fan so all their games are a must see event, you'll realise their entire team is full of very very average kickers.

Smith, Grundy, Shaw, JPK, Jack, Laidler, Mitchell, Pyke, Richards, Jetta, Rohan, Parker are all very average field kickers. When teams bring enough pressure, it stands out like a sore thumb. The reason they can accommodate such a high number of poor kicks in their team is their competitiveness, their numbers to the contest, their ability to win the contested ball, their spread & their team first discipline all over the field.

Now I know some people will jump on me & show me DE% suggest otherwise, but remember that if a kicked ball is gathered on the bounce by a team mate, it's still an effective disposal. This happens A LOT in Sydney's general play because their kicks are average. If your opposition applied enough pressure to enough of these kicks, 50% of them will be turned over.
Jetta is a pretty good kick isn't he?

Jetta is a pretty good kick isn't he?
Used to be... Dunno what's happened in the last 2 years but he really is capable of some howlers

Case in point: he took a kick in tonight & kicked it 60m to an unmarked Port player who was 20m in the clear.... Another instance he ran off half back & kicked long down the wing to 2 port players (Towers was the target but the ball was kicked 40m away from him) who took the ball on the bounce & carried it away. (Issue: given the length of these kicks, they are still effective disposals due to metres gained - just another way stats lie)

Both times he was under no pressure whatsoever... His kicking has dropped off significantly since their flag win in 2012

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Used to be... Dunno what's happened in the last 2 years but he really is capable of some howlers

Case in point: he took a kick in tonight & kicked it 60m to an unmarked Port player who was 20m in the clear.... Another instance he ran off half back & kicked long down the wing to 2 port players (Towers was the target but the ball was kicked 40m away from him) who took the ball on the bounce & carried it away. (Issue: given the length of these kicks, they are still effective disposals due to metres gained - just another way stats lie)

Both times he was under no pressure whatsoever... His kicking has dropped off significantly since their flag win in 2012

His whole game dropped off after that. He looked like he was going to be a superstar that year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back