Opinion GOOD FRIDAY FOOTBALL AT ADELAIDE OVAL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Good Friday Footy would be awesome, a twilight start of 5:30pm would be brilliant, then the 2% of the population that actually go to church can get this out of the way, so then we don't insult all the religious people. Surely there would be no problem with this??? Once Gillon Mc take over from Vlad I think Good Friday will happen and that we will also see a Twilight Grand Final in 2015, starting at 6pm

This is both correct and incorrect. On Good Friday, there is mass at 6-9pm. Our midnight mass is on Easter Saturday night/ Sunday morning.

This however, is often completely irrelevant as Greek and Catholic Easters rarely are at the same time.

There is midnight mass on Saturday night, at the Greek Church in Prospect during Easter.:rolleyes:

With the Roo's looking to grab a unique game on Good Friday and hold centre stage in the AFL world on this particular day, should our Club look at pursuing this option aggressively even if at all?

I think it would be a massive injection of life into the city if it were to be held in the evening around 7ish.

As a club there is just no marquee games available for us and given our "City of Churches" image, holding the game in this state probably would be looked more favorably in the AFL world than in any other city.

I am also not opposed to having a Showdown on this day either.

Thoughts.
Should we? Yes.
Will we? No.
Our club doesn't seem capable of getting on the front foot on any matter. We are too busy looking at ourselves in the mirror to be proactive these days.

What Christians want to do on Good Friday is completely irrelevant. If there is a game scheduled, would it attract a big crowd? You bet. Is Good Friday the one marquee day left in the football calendar? I would say so. Would the TV be all over it? Hell, yeah. Smart clubs would be doing their best to lay claim to this day, just like Essendon and Collingwood did to Anzac Day. Personally, I think Hawthorn would be a good match up - revisiting our first ever AFL clash. Hawks supporters get good numbers to interstate games too.

What Christians want to do on Good Friday is completely irrelevant. If there is a game scheduled, would it attract a big crowd? You bet. Is Good Friday the one marquee day left in the football calendar? I would say so. Would the TV be all over it? Hell, yeah. Smart clubs would be doing their best to lay claim to this day, just like Essendon and Collingwood did to Anzac Day. Personally, I think Hawthorn would be a good match up - revisiting our first ever AFL clash. Hawks supporters get good numbers to interstate games too.
I think we should play Geelong.

AFC vs Geelong. Godra's team vs God's team in the City of Churches.

Keeps everyone happy. :thumbsu:

West Coast. Needs to be some some recognition for the teams that represent the history of the other two heartland footy states

2 great teams. Massive teams. Teams that will always be big fish in the AFL so no risk of the occasion squibbing. Plenty of classy rivalry there and representing the combined history of the SA and WA leagues

Assuming that Christians give a rat's arse. I doubt that all people with some measure of faith all think the same way. Certainly, churchgoers I know don't seem too fussed by the idea. And no-one's forcing them to come to the footy. For me, as a non-Christian, I'm offended when religious observance is thrust upon me.
Fair enough - I assume you don't take the Easter or Christmas public holidays off then ;)

Assuming that Christians give a rat's arse. I doubt that all people with some measure of faith all think the same way. Certainly, churchgoers I know don't seem too fussed by the idea. And no-one's forcing them to come to the footy. For me, as a non-Christian, I'm offended when religious observance is thrust upon me.

Hey, even pacifists can enjoy a sleep in on ANZAC day. We have a heritage that has made us what we are. Whether we agree with it or not, such holidays (Good Fridays sacrificial love and Easter Sundays triumph of good over evil) help us understand who we are and why. Like it or not, the fact we have the freedom to have this conversation owes a fair bit to our roots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love to see it happen. It's simple really: if you go to Church and don't want to go to the footy, then don't go. Your decision to not go and watch the footy, shouldn't impact on the ability of others to enjoy going to a game on the day.

I said it a few years ago, and I still stand by it.
GWS vs Sydney at Homebush.
Tie it in with the easter show.

If not that, we are the logical choice, but I don't know if it should be vs West Coast, Hawthorn or Port Adelaide.

Can we not turn this into a religious debate where people's opinions get stereotypically pigeon-holed based on their beliefs. I know many Christians who have no objection to professional sport being played on Good Friday, in fact they're actually in favour of it, and I happen to be one of them.

Greek Easter is usually on a different week from the normal Easter weekend so that doesn't count in this discussion.

I said it a few years ago, and I still stand by it.
GWS vs Sydney at Homebush.
Tie it in with the easter show.

If not that, we are the logical choice, but I don't know if it should be vs West Coast, Hawthorn or Port Adelaide.

West Coast and Hawthorn....yes.
Port is pointless IMO. it's a big game anyway.

I think we should throw the hat in the ring for a Good Friday game for sure. I have one reservation though.

Loads of people go away at Easter. I'm not sure of the stats, but it'd be the number 1 "get out of town" weekend for the year.
With this in mind, we potentially have many members that cant go, which sucks for them. We also have a heap of empty seats.

It's probably a small issue overall though.

Good Friday Footy would be awesome, a twilight start of 5:30pm would be brilliant, then the 2% of the population that actually go to church can get this out of the way, so then we don't insult all the religious people. Surely there would be no problem with this??? Once Gillon Mc take over from Vlad I think Good Friday will happen and that we will also see a Twilight Grand Final in 2015, starting at 6pm
Heard through a contact today that Gill is already making some deals with CEO authority. My contact was talking with one of the people such a deal with made with - yes there will be a process but Gill to take over is a done deal they reckon.

Heard through a contact today that Gill is already making some deals with CEO authority. My contact was talking with one of the people such a deal with made with - yes there will be a process but Gill to take over is a done deal they reckon.

With the Gill takeover thats been circulating on 360 that he is more likely than Andrew to have Good Friday footy.

Its interesting that you mention about the CEO that hasnt come up at all. I hope our Club is pushing for it. The City Of Churches deserves it.

Can we not turn this into a religious debate where people's opinions get stereotypically pigeon-holed based on their beliefs. I know many Christians who have no objection to professional sport being played on Good Friday, in fact they're actually in favour of it, and I happen to be one of them.

I happen to be one too - and generally have no objection to playing AFL on Good Fridays.

The only difficulty at Adelaide Oval is its proximity to St Peters Cathedral - however it's highly unlikely that there will be prayers or worship in the very late afternoon/early evening. So as long as the Cathedral activities aren't disturbed during the day given there is no other more important day of the year for practising Christians, I can't see why both can't happily co-exist.

I happen to be one too - and generally have no objection to playing AFL on Good Fridays.

The only difficulty at Adelaide Oval is its proximity to St Peters Cathedral - however it's highly unlikely that there will be prayers or worship in the very late afternoon/early evening. So as long as the Cathedral activities aren't disturbed during the day given there is no other more important day of the year for practising Christians, I can't see why both can't happily co-exist.

I think an early evening game from 7pm is just perfect.

Respect religion/families getting together and everyone is happy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back