Opinion GOOD FRIDAY FOOTBALL AT ADELAIDE OVAL?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think an early evening game from 7pm is just perfect.

Respect religion/families getting together and everyone is happy.

Works for me - afternoon at the Cathedral, Cathedral Pub for a pub meal and a couple of reds before the game (note the name of the Pub!) and then back across the road to see my boys - and some of you might actually find prayers for a win before the game a good thing to do!!! :)

So as long as the Cathedral activities aren't disturbed during the day given there is no other more important day of the year for practising Christians, I can't see why both can't happily co-exist.

That's a reasonable ask and an unreasonable demand if you see what I mean

You have no right to expect cathedral activities to be protected, and the relative importance to a random group of people is not relevant on the whole.

In terms of manners and politeness there is no reason a sensible accommodation can't be achieved on the same day.

There is no line in the sand to draw.

Fair enough - I assume you don't take the Easter or Christmas public holidays off then ;)

You do realise those public holidays aren't actually given because of Easter or Christmas? That's a fallacy

Public holidays are a social and welfare based mechanism, that would exist regardless of what label has been given over time.

Take Christmas Day, we all know that was a pagan festival day, and it was easier to rebrand as christmas than to find another. Its just a label

Most public holidays started with European harvest festival origins

when the queen eventually leaves her mortal coil her "birthday" won't stop being a holiday. And if we become a republic the holiday won't stop being given, it might be called something else

Bottom line: religiously named holidays are not gifts from those faiths. They are social & political events

Last edited:
That's a reasonable ask and an unreasonable demand if you see what I mean

You have no right to expect cathedral activities to be protected, and the relative importance to a random group of people is not relevant on the whole.

In terms of manners and politeness there is no reason a sensible accommodation can't be achieved on the same day.

There is no line in the sand to draw.

Christians are not a 'random' group of people - nor are Crows supporters - both groups are relevant and important. Sanders that's a horrible way to talk about anyone. Is any group to whom you don't belong 'random'?

Good Friday at the Cathedral precedes AFL at AO by over a century. It's not unreasonable that AFL schedules around another community's needs on only one day of the year.

How is a Good Friday night match any different to any other Friday night match? The Friday night matches that so many say we don't get enough of?? Which also allows those that work on a Public Holiday to go as well?

Christians are not a 'random' group of people - nor are Crows supporters - both groups are relevant and important. Sanders that's a horrible way to talk about anyone. Is any group to whom you don't belong 'random'?

Of course they are random. They are just a group, any old group of people with a common belief.

There is no relevance to what they believe in this discussion.

Don't confuse relevance with any comment about validity.

The beliefs of this random group of people are perfectly valid as are any other similar grouping.

Valid but not relevant. There is nothing special or privileged about your views versus anyone else.

Good Friday at the Cathedral precedes AFL at AO by over a century. It's not unreasonable that AFL schedules around another community's needs on only one day of the year.

You are not a privileged group of people, your beliefs confer upon you no rights, entitlements or preference over others in a secularised society.

Sanders I don't agree. And I find your characterisation of people appalling. You know you used 'random' as a smart put-down - and then tried to back track. Just glad I won't be spending eternity with you.

You do realise those public holidays aren't actually given because of Easter or Christmas? That's a fallacy

Public holidays are a social and welfare based mechanism, that would exist regardless of what label has been given over time.

Take Christmas Day, we all know that was a pagan festival day, and it was easier to rebrand as christmas than to find another. Its just a label

Most public holidays started with European harvest festival origins

when the queen eventually leaves her mortal coil her "birthday" won't stop being a holiday. And if we become a republic the holiday won't be given

Bottom line: religiously named holidays are not gifts from those faiths. They are social & political events

Christmas was never a "pagan" festival. It is a seasonal celebration. Pagan implies that a pagan god or gods are celebrated. This is one of the myths of Christmas.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

Christmas was never a "pagan" festival. It is a seasonal celebration. Pagan implies that a pagan god or gods are celebrated. This is one of the myths of Christmas.

http://www.simpletoremember.com/vitals/Christmas_TheRealStory.htm

II. How Did Christmas Come to Be Celebrated on December 25?

A. Roman pagans first introduced the holiday of Saturnalia, a week long period of lawlessness celebrated between December 17-25. During this period, Roman courts were closed, and Roman law dictated that no one could be punished for damaging property or injuring people during the weeklong celebration. The festival began when Roman authorities chose “an enemy of the Roman people” to represent the “Lord of Misrule.” Each Roman community selected a victim whom they forced to indulge in food and other physical pleasures throughout the week. At the festival’s conclusion, December 25th, Roman authorities believed they were destroying the forces of darkness by brutally murdering this innocent man or woman.

Last edited:
http://www.simpletoremember.com/vitals/Christmas_TheRealStory.htm

II. How Did Christmas Come to Be Celebrated on December 25?

A. Roman pagans first introduced the holiday of Saturnalia, a week long period of lawlessness celebrated between December 17-25. During this period, Roman courts were closed, and Roman law dictated that no one could be punished for damaging property or injuring people during the weeklong celebration. The festival began when Roman authorities chose “an enemy of the Roman people” to represent the “Lord of Misrule.” Each Roman community selected a victim whom they forced to indulge in food and other physical pleasures throughout the week. At the festival’s conclusion, December 25th, Roman authorities believed they were destroying the forces of darkness by brutally murdering this innocent man or woman.

The Germans were celebrating Yuletide. The "Christmas tree", yule log and mistletoe and exchange of gifts were part of a celebration of life that out of the bleak winter there was life about to emerge.

Christmas is not about Dec 25th. It is a celebration of life.

Its a good idea, that both SA clubs should look at.
But I would think you would want a normally lower attracting team to play each year. A Good Friday game is likely to get 40k+ regardless of who plays, so why use it against a Coll/Carl when a normal game against them would draw over 40k. Use it against a Melb/St Kilda and lift the crowd numbers up for those games, meaning one less low drawing game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sanders I don't agree. And I find your characterisation of people appalling. You know you used 'random' as a smart put-down - and then tried to back track. Just glad I won't be spending eternity with you.
I can understand why you dont agree, but in all honesty Sanders is right in the post above. Different groups of people are just that, groups of people with no rights above others, despite what you believe.

I'm not only not backtracking, I'm not moving one inch from my original assertions.

Not one inch.

The only characterisation being made of any kind is by yourself. You are arguing that people of a certain belief are of different standing.

My argument remains that people of any belief, or absence of belief, have equal rights or more correctly no rights to pre-eminence over the others.

people who like footy are just a random bunch of people who share a common interest

People who like to wear shorts are a random bunch of people who share a common interest

People with an Islamic faith are a random bunch people who share a common belief

People with a Protestant Christian faith are a random bunch people who share a common belief

People with a Roman Catholic Faith are a random bunch people who share a common belief

People with a flat earth conviction are a random bunch people who share a common belief

You can slice the whole of society any random way you like, but no one slice is more or less important because of where you drew your lines

Careful there, I went and saw Kiss on Good Friday back in the early naughties, No Beer. I had about six Red bulls instead. Couldn't sleep all night.
Did you all get that No Beer.

Round 1 next year will fall on Easter weekend apparently..
Rowe and Bone were just saying they believe (and Rucci has said FWIW ;) ) that the season opener next year will be Adelaide vs Port on Good Friday..
Adelaide home game..

Rowe and Bone were just saying they believe (and Rucci has said FWIW ;) ) that the season opener next year will be Adelaide vs Port on Good Friday..
Adelaide home game..

Did they say who'll win?

Adelaide home game..

Ports home game.

They do the heavy lifting in this state after all.

It would be great to open the season on Good Friday or even Thursday Night before. But for god sake, NOT against the Powa, they have been given enough leg ups this year already, stuff em! A perfect opponent would be Geelong, as it would be our turn next year to play them at home as we don't this year.

Adelaide home game..

As the power bloke posted, that would be a waste of an occasion. The showdown is a huge game anyway, it won't be any bigger on Good Friday. If it was a Vic team, it would likely increase the crowd and also interstate travellers into adelaide.

On the matter of vlad being gone and Good Friday being on the agenda, I'm a little confused. If the commission, which I presume won't be changing, is comfortable with the idea and the afl workforce as a whole is as well, then how the fukc can one fat man in the middle deny it based only on his own personal beliefs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back