List Mgmt. How many list openings do we need heading in to 2015?

Remove this Banner Ad

With Minch being put back on the Rookie list, I think that it's safe to assume he's done, and will not be upgraded at years end. This saves either Schneider or Jones. I'll say Schneider stays.

OUTS:

Retire: Hayes, Maister, Jones

Trade or FA: Gwilt (3rd round, either Adelaide's or FA)

Delist: TDL, Dunell

That's 6 spots opening up on the main list.

INS:

Rookie upgrades: Weller, Shenton.

That leaves 4 spots:
  1. Petracca, McCartin or Cameron.
  2. A good second rounder
  3. A good third rounder
The 4th and last spot on the main list, comes with a few options: The most likely, I think is a trade for a PSD-vulnerable player, like Jakshe or Membrey, as I've said. However, we may also use another 3rd round pick (given we'll have the Gwilt compo one, and thus have two 3rd round picks) on another young player in the draft.

The other interesting thing, is the rookie list. With Minch gone, and Shents and Mav upgraded, we'll have 3 of our 4 spots available. Increasingly, I think Saad will be gone by the Rookie draft, given the article that came out today about five clubs being into him.

From what I heard stkilda stuffed up, he was upgraded because of Geary, but now that geary is off long term, there was a deadline apparently a week or 2 ago that finalised rookies to the seniors (or something like that) and he stayed on for another injured player, but saints missed it. He was going to play apparently this weekend. May not have seen the last of him though this year.....I'm hoping

Cant we get Saad through the rookie draft or something? That way we'll most likely have the first pick or does he have to nominate for all drafts before that?

Yes but hope no other team picks him first. Hope Saad comes out and says he wants to return to stkilda.

It would seem that, for many players on the fringe, the bell tolls for thee:

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-08-20/saints-to-cut-deep-into-their-list

"We've got some guys that need to perform strongly," he said.

"They might not necessarily be in the AFL team; they may be in the VFL team and still need to finish off strongly and prove they're worth their position on the list.

"We'll make some significant changes to our list, there's no doubt about that.

rs_488x275-140118185622-tumblr_mx5ecpxlN01rkufmbo2_500.gif

From what I heard stkilda stuffed up, he was upgraded because of Geary, but now that geary is off long term, there was a deadline apparently a week or 2 ago that finalised rookies to the seniors (or something like that) and he stayed on for another injured player, but saints missed it. He was going to play apparently this weekend. May not have seen the last of him though this year.....I'm hoping

Maybe the saints can just complain and the AFL will change the rules (all rookies can be upgraded after the deadline or something? ala Essendon whinging when we rookied Dunell (Now any F/S in the rookies can be picked up by that club with the last rookie pick))

My thoughts for 2014 and 2015!

Retire: Hayes, Maister, Schneider
Delist: Dunell, TDL, Jones
Trade: Gwilt, Montagna

Retire: Riewoldt, Fisher
Delist: Simpkin, Milera, Siposs
Trade: ???

A lot of it will come down to trades. If Gwilt walks via FA and we trade someone like Montagna for a draft pick then we will most likely only have to delist the obvious (TDL, Dunnel, Jones). That leaves 8 spots with retirement. 5 draftees and 3 upgrades.

Jones has been a good hardworking valuable player for the Saints over the years.

If we don't wan't him, and he's not ready to retire, I'd hope that the Saints try to get a late trade for him, even if its a draft pick we never use. Maybe Lyon would like him on the team for depth.

When do they announce the delistings and retirements? The first business day after the final home and away game?

When do they announce the delistings and retirements? The first business day after the final home and away game?
the club will probably only announce the hayes, maister ones and hope that someone like simpkin/TDL/Milera can be scrapped for anything via trade if not then we can always cut them later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My updated list. The number next to them is how many spots their coming-or-going will mean for the list:

OUTS:

Retire: 1 Hayes, 2 Maister, 3 Jones, 4 Schneider

Trade or FA: 5 Gwilt (3rd round, either Adelaide's or FA), 6 Milera (possibly part of a package with Gwilt to the Crows, or soft trade to Port, but otherwise it'll be a mutual breaking of contract, so we won't need to pay him out).

Delist: 7 TDL, 8 Dunell

INS:

Rookie Upgrades: 1 Minchington (more and more certain), 2 Weller, 3 Shenton.

That gives us 5 spots in the draft/trade.
  1. Petracca, McCartin or Cameron.
  2. A good second rounder
  3. A good third rounder
  4. Saad (why rookie him if we've got room on the main list?)
  5. Jakshe, Membrey or somebody in the PSD or through a trade based on the threat of the PSD.

Cj is and has been a warrior for this club, when do we not respect that?
Steven Baker was a far greater warrior than Clint Jones, and look at the way we treated him at the end.... :oops:

Same goes for blokes like Jolly & Didak last year for Collingwood. Players get moved on, that's footy, not everyone gets a fanfare farewell

• I'll give it that Hayes and Maister are a monty to go.
  • You'd have to count out Jones I would imagine as his 1 year contract is up and he's fringe.
  • Dunnell - Good magoo player but not up to AFL standard.
  • The right thing to do would be to throw a late pick to get Saad back. That means TDL and Milera are out in my opinion if Schnieder stays and Minch gets upgraded. I cant see him getting cut at all. Too much possibility of improvement for him. Same with Weller and Shenton.
  • Eli can start as a Rookie again and be elevated.
  • Trade Gwilt/Siposs if you can otherwise keep.
  • Important I think to keep some nerves in the backline with injuries surrounding Fish and Gilbert and Monty/Armo in the midfield now Hayes is gone. the mids need lots of rotations, so the kids'll get lots of action still.

out:

Hayes
Maister
Jones
Schnides
Dunell
TDL
Milera
Gwilt (FA)
Joey (traded to Kangas - Pick 33)

In:

Minchi
Weller
Shenton (personally hate it! think its gonna happen)
(1)Petracca/Boyd
(21)Duggan or Neal-Bullen
(33)Wigg
(39)Keitel/Cunico
(58)Urban
Jaksch (PSD)

Why are we still yet to hear about any re-signings? Sick of the silence on the contract front.
Even Melbourne are re-signing players. What the hell are we doing!

By my count we still have Wright, Saunders, Murdoch, White, Markworth, Pierce yet to re-sign from seniors list. Plus the inevitable elevation of Weller.
I understand there are a few we are still deciding on or have stamped their papers (Fisher, Schneider, Dunnell, Jones etc.) but surely most of these (except Pierce maybe) have proved their worth. None of them would be demanding big figures that we need to find money for either.

Why are we still yet to hear about any re-signings? Sick of the silence on the contract front.

By my count we still have Wright, Saunders, Murdoch, White, Markworth, Pierce yet to re-sign from seniors list. Plus the inevitable elevation of Weller.
I understand there are a few we are still deciding on or have stamped their papers (Fisher, Schneider, Dunnell, Jones etc.) but surely most of these (except Pierce maybe) have proved their worth. None of them would be demanding big figures that we need to find money for either.
Dude, it's not that big of a deal, surely. They'll be signed up when they are. Ameet has got it covered.

And while we're at it we can extend Billings, and Dunstan! Can't be too careful these days.

I must admit it would be good to see or hear an update in regards to delistings and resignings.. at least it would make out lists more concise.

the way I see it is you can't shell out everyone.. I would leave Milera and Siposs on to finish off their contracts and see if they can get their careers back on track, Simpkin I'm not too fussed either way, but I almost feel like these three need to be kept on til at least their contract runs out.

You can't throw everyone out after one off season, there just isn't that much quality out there to replace them with. I think we would be better off leaving them and if they haven't made it in a year then chucking them out then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back