Hypothetical Moral Dilemma: What'd you do if you saw a CFC player doing something they shouldn't?

Hypothetical: If you saw your favourite player drink driving, who would you mention their name to?

• I ain't know nuffin'

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • Only my good mates Bazza and Wozza

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • It'd be a secret between me and my Twitter followers, Facebook friends, and BigFooty buddies

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I'd get on the blower to the Collingwood Football Club about it

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • I'd have a chat to Caro, Robbo, or some journo from Today Tonight

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • I'd call Crimestoppers

Votes: 4 8.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

At the end of the day what they do in their personal lives is none of my business, I did see a certain player out at a club after a game earlier this year didnt tell anyone, but its a pretty obvious reason why this bloke is playing 2s still.

He is a big believer in a laissez-faire approach to player behaviour and motivation. In other words it's up to players to self-motivate and if they don't, the end-product will be they are not in a condition to play so in that sense they select themselves.

That was Bucks circa 2012.

Suspect he's moved on ...

BqpSfcCCAAATAVs.jpg:medium

This goes to that old issue - should AFL footballers be role models, and have standards of behaviour that exceed what most males in their 20s reasonably achieve?

Bad things can and do happen when there is that potent mix of youth, talent, fame, money, adoring or abusive fans, drinking, drugs, girls throwing themselves at you and guys wanting to fight you. Its a miracle there are not more 'incidents' of AFL players breaking club rules, or worse, breaking the law.

Yeah, I reckon we can hold them to a higher standard of behaviour than 'normal' guys their age. Firstly, if what they were doing is a serious criminal issue (assault, sexual assault, drugs) then I'd likely report it like I would if I saw a non-footy player doing the same thing. Secondly, if it's not criminal, but poor behaviour that reflects badly on the club, I'd tell the club. They get paid very well, and part of that deal is that they represent the club well and don't cause scandal or reputational harm to the club. Lots of professions have similar requirements of their workers. If they don't like it, they don't have to be professional footballers. You take the money to do something you love doing, you take the stuff that goes with it.

Would depend on the seriousness of the hypothetical behaviour and if it was something that I felt strongly about. Obviously criminal activity should not be ignored.

As this is a direct output from the other thread, then the person who has this information obviously feels strongly about it and therefore should report it to the club - not as some random nuffie leaving a message with the girl on the switchboard but email to Gary Pert. If there truly is a problem and it may be impacting on field performance, then the club through its management structure is best placed to deal with it in the appropriate manner, whatever that may be.

I think i am more for the motion of "boys will be boys" and that any rumors out there (especially the one's coming from this board) should be taken lightly, given that if it were serious the media would dive head first into it.

Nevertheless, if it concerns anything like drugs, alcohol and doesn't affect anyone other than the player, then I wouldn't make an issue out of it personally. I just find it hard to believe that if a player were to have done something that would harm anyone other than himself that it wouldn't already be out in open, considering that the media tends to focus a bit more carefully on our club and players, I mean Swanny can't even eat a pizza without being scrutinized.

Would the way the team is performing affect your opinion?
The times I have seen our players out we were performing well so I didn't really consider it. I still don't think I'd tell.

I may have advised one of our boys that I don't pay $1000+ a year to watch him drink at a club at 4am and to go home.

Hypothetically of course...

Depends what kind of mood I'm in.
If I'm feeling generous I'll just put a choker hold on them and give them a good talking to.
I'm I've had a rough day I'll probably just piledrive them and be done with it.
Feeling creative probably some thing like a power bomb and follow up with a figure four leg lock.
I think a low-blow or a chair-shot would be more appropriate in this situation

It is hard to be specific given the range of topics mentioned and I just hope to Christ that this really is a hypothetical and not related to the other thread.

If there was physical violence involved, that sort of stuff should probably be reported to the police, I think.

If there was a transgression such as speeding, driving under the influence or the like that could have resulted in damage to others, probably should be reported to the club, you would trust them to do the right thing for and by the player so that the behaviour can be corrected.

If it was about team rules, would depend on the severity, I guess, i.e. hard drugs are a different kettle of fish from staying out late / one too many sherbets.

The times I have seen our players out we were performing well so I didn't really consider it. I still don't think I'd tell.

I may have advised one of our boys that I don't pay $1000+ a year to watch him drink at a club at 4am and to go home.

I'm guessing you didn't buy him a drink then? ;)

Depends on what it is really. I think clearly these hypotheticals at the Pies is drug and alcohol related, and possibly names we wouldn't necessarily expect. I guess the issue on drugs is, how could you really tell anyone because you most likely wouldn't see them consume anything. Sure you can make deductions from behaviour, but not sure that's going to hold up...

Question is, is going out partying, getting drunk and doing drugs effecting their match day performance/training/recovery... maybe? Maybe not?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends on what it is really. I think clearly these hypotheticals at the Pies is drug and alcohol related, and possibly names we wouldn't necessarily expect.

Huh? :confused:

A hypothetical is a hypothetical.

Almost anything and everything is possible if you want to look at it historically: getting a lift home with a gangster, breaking team drinking protocols, breaking curfews, getting into fights after a late night out, assault, drink driving, gambling on the AFL, taking recreational drugs, lying to the club, etc, etc, etc.

I guess the issue on drugs is, how could you really tell anyone because you most likely wouldn't see them consume anything. Sure you can make deductions from behaviour, but not sure that's going to hold up...

That depends on your point of view.

Are you looking at it from a criminal legal point of view, and the possibility of calling Crimestoppers?

Or are you looking at it from a player behaviour / club reputation / duty of care point of view, and the possibility of getting on the blower to Gary Pert first thing Monday morning? "Drugs" could include alcohol in context (eg: 4am) and you could reasonably observe consumption and the burden of proof is likely not relevant.

Question is, is going out partying, getting drunk and doing drugs effecting their match day performance/training/recovery... maybe? Maybe not?

Question is, is it for you to judge that? Or, if you observe something, should you put the information into the hands of somebody who can? (ie: the club)

This is a tough one. If it was anything that may break what I think may be team rules, probably keep quiet and shake my head. Of course if it was the Fas, I would dob him in.:p
If it were illegal, contact the club and see how they handled it knowing that I and possibly others saw it happen so can't keep it quiet.

I wouldn't post it on BigFooty or ring talkback or anything like that. I could be inclined to let the club know if it was something which the club clearly wouldn't want them doing, or would generally been seen out of bounds during a season. The club would want to know and would be able to take action if necassary.

Of course its easy to post that now. For instance if I had seen Swanny drinking that night in late 2012 I'm not sure I would have dobbed him in.

But a Carlton player on the other hand...

This thread makes me laugh I have been in a position with a couple professional athletes one being Collingwood player

I didn't have an issue with what they were doing it was in the break they should be free to do what ever as long as it's not performance enhancing

Anyone talking blackmail are rats

Hypothetically BEEG what happens if they did it during the season and preferred to go out (while injured) rather than play the following week at the clubs request?

Hypothetically BEEG what happens if they did it during the season and preferred to go out (while injured) rather than play the following week at the clubs request?

I wouldn't be to happy but it's not my place these people are grown men I would just have a laugh about it with couple of my mates like we currently do

Fair enough BEEG. I'm not a hypocrite and I have done all that also but I don't get paid a shitload of money like them. But I also don't want to wait another 20 years for another premiership either! They have to be committed to the cause!

Fair enough BEEG. I'm not a hypocrite and I have done all that also but I don't get paid a shitload of money like them. But I also don't want to wait another 20 years for another premiership either! They have to be committed to the cause!

Well this was in the pre season but I do know what your saying

I find out what his trade value is and do a deal if suitable.

If it was that simple Anzacday I would agree with you 100 %. But as we are talking about Collingwood we never do things the easy way. Especially when it comes to our stars!

I find out what his trade value is and do a deal if suitable.

You would be surprised how many players like to break out and enjoy themselves

Depends what kind of mood I'm in.
If I'm feeling generous I'll just put a choker hold on them and give them a good talking to.
I'm I've had a rough day I'll probably just piledrive them and be done with it.
Feeling creative probably some thing like a power bomb and follow up with a figure four leg lock.
What about, light a table on fire and suplex the * through it? Then climb on to the bar, scream out Ooooooh yeeeeeaaaaah and leap off and nail the campaigner with an elbow?

Back