Roast It's time to ditch the pokies

Remove this Banner Ad

A Hawthorn run, Northern Territory football academy makes a lot of sense.

That's a terrific thought! I'd be all for using every gaming dollar of profit to start up and fund such an academy, provided of course we can pre-select a couple of boys each year to the club ala the Swans academy.

With the NT a poster child for drinking associated issues, the synergy of this kind of endeavor would be spot on.

Superior thinking Randy. :)

Last edited:

HFC's primary role should be winning premierships and maximising its revenue streams in order to do so. poker machines are legal entertainment and it's not the club's job to determine what's good "for society". if it's a choice between grandma's pension and more hawthorn silverware, i'd be the first to thank her for her sacrifice.

play to win.

HFC's primary role should be winning premierships and maximising its revenue streams in order to do so. poker machines are legal entertainment and it's not the club's job to determine what's good "for society". if it's a choice between grandma's pension and more hawthorn silverware, i'd be the first to thank her for her sacrifice.

play to win.

110%.... I couldn't care less whether they run illegal black jack tables, if the club is profiting from it and it keeps the place financially healthy then so be it.. In all seriousness pokies are legal and people bet/punt/play pokies for many reasons, not all of them are gambling addicts. The club should be applauded for diversifying its income.

Obviously this divides people but it's pretty bullish!t to claim the club doesn't have a betting culture but to be so heavily into pokies.

It may be legal and harmless to many but the big profits come from problem gamblers and it can destroy lives/families.

I'm pretty sure the club employs people smart enough to find profits elsewhere.

Obviously this divides people but it's pretty bullish!t to claim the club doesn't have a betting culture but to be so heavily into pokies.

It may be legal and harmless to many but the big profits come from problem gamblers and it can destroy lives/families.

I'm pretty sure the club employs people smart enough to find profits elsewhere.

I think you'll find that there have only been a few isolated and extreme cases, which have received lots of publicity. They were mostly cases of people with other issues, including psychiatric problems. The message that pokies are destroying families is a narrative used to deter people from gambling (which I agree is a good thing).

The majority of pokie players are there for a night out, which often includes a meal and drinks, and a bit of fun. The ones that lose money certainly regret it, but that's natural. I have done so myself.
Sure, some people will play them stupidly, but there is no epidemic.

Anyway, Guerra was only gambling on racing, nothing to do with the pokies.

I think you'll find that there have only been a few isolated and extreme cases, which have received lots of publicity. They were mostly cases of people with other issues, including psychiatric problems. The message that pokies are destroying families is a narrative used to deter people from gambling (which I agree is a good thing).

The majority of pokie players are there for a night out, which often includes a meal and drinks, and a bit of fun. The ones that lose money certainly regret it, but that's natural. I have done so myself.

Thanks for a well thought out post Davo.

You are right that most who play pokies are fine and Goo was betting on other things.

But I used to work for an organisation that delivered support to problem gamblers and can assure you it is quite a problem.

Anyway, I'll leave it there.

You guys might be right, however if we're to stay on that path we should seriously consider dropping our tag as the family club. The two just don't sit comfortably with each other. I suggest we adopt the title 'the profitable club' and quit with the pretentiions.
Agree.

Shitloads a of things are legal....doesnt automatically mean that they are good.

I mean give me a break...we have more laws in our society than ever....and our societies are more lawless than ever.....and going down the shitter as a result.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whenever I walk into my local it's always the same people playing.

Whenever I walk into my local it's always the same people playing.

Same. But we have this message of oldies "chucking away their pensions", but you have no idea how well-off those oldies might be. And what else are we suggesting they do? They don't watch much TV and may or may not have family and friends around.

Some might argue that a trip out for a pub meal and a couple of hours on the 1c machines at the pokies is about as cost effective as a trip to the movies including travel, meal, snacks, etc...

We're not forcing this down people's throats here. Let's not get self righteous about the whole thing. It's a bunch of adults deciding what they want to do with their time and money. They will be doing it regardless of whether the money is going to the local pub or the hawthorn footy club.

You guys might be right, however if we're to stay on that path we should seriously consider dropping our tag as the family club. The two just don't sit comfortably with each other. I suggest we adopt the title 'the profitable club' and quit with the pretentiions.
Well in My Family we weren't allowed to have our birthday lunches at places without Pokies or Nana would crack the shits. She was a was a loyal Hawks supporter and loved the pokies. On rare occasions she's win some money and give all the grand kids 100 bucks each. Pokies venues actually almost always have family and kid friendly bistros.

If we were the "profitable club" we'd open modern dining restaurants and charge $45 for a 50g steak and a piece of asparagus.

Well in My Family we weren't allowed to have our birthday lunches at places without Pokies or Nana would crack the shits. She was a was a loyal Hawks supporter and loved the pokies. On rare occasions she's win some money and give all the grand kids 100 bucks each. Pokies venues actually almost always have family and kid friendly bistros.

If we were the "profitable club" we'd open modern dining restaurants and charge $45 for a 50g steak and a piece of asparagus.
The point you make asserting the compatibility of pokies and family values is tenuous at best.

The point you make asserting the compatibility of pokies and family values is tenuous at best.

Where is that point made? He does say: 'Pokies venues actually almost always have family and kid friendly bistros' and that is quite correct. He doesn't rate the values or integrity of such venues in his comment though.

Where is that point made? He does say: 'Pokies venues actually almost always have family and kid friendly bistros' and that is quite correct. He doesn't rate the values or integrity of such venues in his comment though.
The Hawthorn Football Club is a business. And as a business that relies on financial support from its stakeholder, sponsors, members et, al. It looks to cultivate a brand for itself that differentiates itself from its competitors. For the Hawthorn Football Club the brand is the family club.
There is nothing wrong with this, however as any good manager would tell you when you establish a brand for yourself it is important that the products you the associate with are compatible to your brand.
The benefits of branding are well known but responsibilities come with upholding the integrity of your brand. Furthermore when you link yourself to products that maybe deemed in conflict with your brand you invite greater scrutiny from your stakeholders than you may have otherwise.

The Hawthorn Football Club is a business. And as a business that relies on financial support from its stakeholder, sponsors, members et, al. It looks to cultivate a brand for itself that differentiates itself from its competitors. For the Hawthorn Football Club the brand is the family club.
There is nothing wrong with this, however as any good manager would tell you when you establish a brand for yourself it is important that the products you the associate with are compatible to your brand.
The benefits of branding are well known but responsibilities come with upholding the integrity of your brand. Furthermore when you link yourself to products that maybe deemed in conflict with your brand you invite greater scrutiny from your stakeholders than you may have otherwise.

Our brand is "most successful club of the last 50 years" and "Back-to-back premiers". That is the brand that sponsors look at, not "do they get money for pokies machines"

The "family club" brand refers to the ideal that we should be supportive of families and not be a pack of ferals roaming the streets, punching on with each other or assaulting opposition coaches.

Not arguing with you there at all. In fact, everything you've just said is quite valid. I just couldn't see the connection in the original comment about pokies being connected to family values. I don't think it was stated as such at all, unless you thought it was implied.

Have you been watching tv. #mykitchenrules.

What a load of rubbish.....very expensive rubbish. :(

I grew up in a country area that at the time had the highest pokie machine per capita in the southern hemisphere and also one of the highest unemployment rates in the state.
The pokies were a freaking disaster for the place.
Hate the damn things.
They are not designed for the casual gambler, they are designed to suck people in, and their prevalence in low socioeconomic areas is just shizenhousen.

While the inner capitalist says yay the club makes money from it, the rest of me says:

I grew up in a country area that at the time had the highest pokie machine per capita in the southern hemisphere and also one of the highest unemployment rates in the state.
The pokies were a freaking disaster for the place.
Hate the damn things.
They are not designed for the casual gambler, they are designed to suck people in, and their prevalence in low socioeconomic areas is just shizenhousen.

While the inner capitalist says yay the club makes money from it, the rest of me says:

Did you grow up in Moe ?

I have no problem with pokies, I see them, I walk straight past them.

People make their own choices. You have to be over 18 to play them. Your an adult at 18.

Time for people to take responsibility for their own actions & not blame anyone else

Remove this Banner Ad

Back