Julia - How much longer? (Part III)

Remove this Banner Ad

dr nick

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2002
Dee Why, NSW
AFL Club
Sydney
Just saw one of the ads. Looks like they just got business leaders that stand to profit from this new tax. Saying other countries are doing alot of investment in green technology. Pictures showing dams and wind mills.

Personally I didn't think it explained anything on why we need our power bills to go up an extra 10% at least. Which I would of liked to hear the government defend.

I'll give you the tip... if these business leaders were going to make money by using windmills rather than coal they'd be doing it without encouragement from a carbon tax.

Re: Julia - how much longer? (Part II)

The way things are going, no-one will be voting Labor. In that case, who are the ads aimed at?

Especially when they realise things like this

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...ing-new-tax-work/story-e6frg6z6-1226095571092

the carbon price will rise 5 per cent above inflation every year after, according to Treasury modelling

By 2020, Australia's domestic emissions actually would grow from 578 million tonnes last year to 621 million tonnes. "Australia's domestic emissions increase around 10 per cent from 2010 to the late 2020s," Treasury says. By 2050, we will rely on foreign permits for about half our abatement.

Neil Mitchell has a good piece in today's Herald-Sun about the general pathology engulfing the Labor Party. Joolya's pathological lying and dishonesty has now cast her in the lead role of "V-I-C-T-I-M"

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion...-popularity-woes/story-e6frfhqf-1226097177246

IF Julia Gillard was any less popular she'd rival typhoid.
Any less credible and she'd be on par with those blokes whose long-dead uncles tip the winner of the Melbourne Cup each year.
But she still has her cheer squad and it is crafting a new defence: sexism.
This is creeping into the commentary and dribbling from the mouths of political sycophants. But it shouldn't be allowed to spread unchallenged

You weren't going to vote Labor anyway tazzietiger.

The ads aren't aimed at you.

Well tazzie would be with 75% of the rest of us and growing

Gillard has managed to alienate 40% of the rusted on base of the alp

Its honesty is all I questioned when, by clear inference, it seeks to suggest that we are now taking action just like those lovely green folk in China, India and the US. Any such inference is bollocks as our CURRENT actions (i.e. pre any carbon tax) can easily be equated with those of the 3 listed countries.

Inferring that our actions are merely bringing us into line, catching up if you like, is misleading at least and dishonest if one chooses to take a stronger view.

It would be dishonest if the inference as you state it could properly be drawn. The broader inference you draw does not follow from the ad. It is appropriate for the ad to make the claim that other countries are taking action on climate change. That is true, they are. The ad says no more. These other countries are just not doing it in the constructive, efficient, economy-renewing way we are. More fool them.

One wonders how popular all this will be with big sections of the union movement particularly the blue collar ones. Plenty of them will be faced with job losses/real wage cuts and huge numbers with a big tax increase.

So where did I hear these themes: "plenty of job losses", "real wage cuts", "huge numbers with a big tax increase"? Oh yes, Tony Abbott and the local shock jocks. Is this the source of your disinformation? There is no credible economic evidence that there will be any significant net job losses. Whilst GDP continues to climb (as it is forecast to) the only way there will be "real wage cuts" is if a Government implements "industrial reform" that distributes wealth less evenly. And "huge" numbers with a "big" tax increase. Give me a break, who are you trying to kid? Try telling us what that "big" tax increase is that will hit "huge" numbers of people before burrowing down to eat your next meal of disinformation you are so happy to impart.

These hysterical lies emphasise the lack of credibility (scientific and economic) in the anti-carbon tax position. And the inherent dishonesty of the alternative "direct action" policy.

It would be dishonest if the inference as you state it could properly be drawn. The broader inference you draw does not follow from the ad. It is appropriate for the ad to make the claim that other countries are taking action on climate change. That is true, they are. The ad says no more. These other countries are just not doing it in the constructive, efficient, economy-renewing way we are. More fool them.

Bollocks. It's clearly misleading.

Neil Mitchell has a good piece in today's Herald-Sun about the general pathology engulfing the Labor Party. Joolya's pathological lying and dishonesty has now cast her in the lead role of "V-I-C-T-I-M"

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion...-popularity-woes/story-e6frfhqf-1226097177246

IF Julia Gillard was any less popular she'd rival typhoid.
Any less credible and she'd be on par with those blokes whose long-dead uncles tip the winner of the Melbourne Cup each year.
But she still has her cheer squad and it is crafting a new defence: sexism.
This is creeping into the commentary and dribbling from the mouths of political sycophants. But it shouldn't be allowed to spread unchallenged

Kill the witch and ditch the bitch is sexist ?

Could be a male witch/bitch I suppose

It might be misleading to those like you who don't give a toss no matter what but to those who have an open mind perhaps it might enlighten them.

It's misleading to those with even half a brain, what ever their opinion.

And BTW, isn't this another Rudd/Gillard broken promise re political advertising?

It might be misleading to those like you who don't give a toss no matter what but to those who have an open mind perhaps it might enlighten them.

There is nothing enlightening in that add. It insinuates that Australia is catching up with the likes of China, and that we are going nuts using sustainable energy.

Hi

This is my first time on the politics board, because usually I don't care too much about politics. However I have become interested in this carbon debate, and so I've read quite a bit of the thread. To sum up the debate, it seems to go like this:

For: Reasoned point about action on climate change

Against: Liberal party slogan, liberal party slogan

For: Discussion, and quotation of facts about climate change and the action we're taking

Against: Emotive language, hahaing about polls, liberal party slogan

Is this how it always goes?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi

This is my first time on the politics board, because usually I don't care too much about politics. However I have become interested in this carbon debate, and so I've read quite a bit of the thread. To sum up the debate, it seems to go like this:

For: Discussion, and quotation of facts about climate change and the action we're taking

I believe people are against it because they are already feeling the pressures of cost of living and don't want it to rise. But if you rather just blame everyone for being a simpleton and deciding there vote and opinions based on slogans than that's okay.

Hi

Yes, to ALP fanbois.

But tell us what effect the carbon tax will have on the world's carbon emissions?

And BTW, isn't this another Rudd/Gillard broken promise re political advertising?
yep.

geeze, remember all the bleating by ALP acolytes during the workchoices advertising campaign? The silence is deafening now.

Are we going to build rivers to dam. Then when we save the climate, the droughts will stop, and we can get cheap power from the dams, then we can save the climate. Oh wait.

Talking of dams. The inclusion of footage of a dam in the ads is misleading and dishonest. Labor/Green policy is not build dams.

there should be no new large-scale dams on Australian rivers.

http://greens.org.au/policies/environment/water-inland-aquatic-environments

Talking of dams. The inclusion of footage of a dam in the ads is misleading and dishonest. Labor/Green policy is not build dams.

http://greens.org.au/policies/environment/water-inland-aquatic-environments

Yeah they had to have something to convince people there was such a thing as sustainable energy , even when its not windy.
Due to the Snowy Scheme, I'm pretty sure Australia's highest proportion of sustainable energy would have been around 1970.

As far as jobs go, I find it pretty amazing that Mortlake Power Station ( Capacity of 550 MW ) will have around 10 full time employee's ( its like a big aeroplane engine ), while Hazelwood has around 500 employee's for its 1400 MW, and there are probably more invovled in the coal mine.

The thing I find amazing is that Hazelwood can still be viable with this level of manning. Coal must be ****ing cheap.

Just seen Paul Howes on tv saying she'll be the leader at the next election he'll bet his house on it.
So looks like the faceless men would rather keep face and send Labor into a wipe out election instead of admitting they over estimated Gillard and made a mistake.

True, but 2 years is a long time in politics. And it is a long time to keep chanting "Bad tax, we need an election."

Hard to see at the moment, but the polls could be quite different by this time next year.

yep.

geeze, remember all the bleating by ALP acolytes during the workchoices advertising campaign? The silence is deafening now.

Did you catch Gillard's justification? Er, well, our campaign is a lot smaller. FFS, the legislation isn't even before the parliament, let alone passed into law.

Come on ALP fanbois, defend this crap if you can.

You weren't going to vote Labor anyway tazzietiger.

The ads aren't aimed at you.

So, the ads are aimed at people based on how they're likely to vote..

Doesn't that pretty much define them as purely political advertising?

True, but 2 years is a long time in politics. And it is a long time to keep chanting "Bad tax, we need an election."

Hard to see at the moment, but the polls could be quite different by this time next year.

It might fade out abit. But come election time Gillard is going to have a hard time explaining the difference between inflation and her carbon tax on prices. While Tony can just sit back and keep pointing to the cost of food and goods.

It's misleading to those with even half a brain, what ever their opinion.

Humbug, just a non-core promise.

Anyway mate concerning man made climate change i have come to the conclusion that you are a lost cause & even if you was standing on top of Uluru with sea water lapping at your feet you would still say "this is not happening it's just crap"

Humbug, just a non-core promise.

Anyway mate concerning man made climate change i have come to the conclusion that you are a lost cause & even if you was standing on top of Uluru with sea water lapping at your feet you would still say "this is not happening it's just crap"

So why do you support a tax that will do absolutely nothing to stop this happening

Remove this Banner Ad

Back