Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2011 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey Knight. What are your thoughts on the GWS letting longer slide and ultimately losing him? My take on it is that they had a draft plan to let Wingard slide for port and Tominlson slide for the Lions so they could pick him up as the slider. Port have already come out and said how tempted they were to pick Longer, but wingard was too good to pass up so the first part worked, but I wonder if the Lions play the GWS right into their hands with the idea they were super keen on Tominlson

Thoughts?

I think it worked out to plan, but none the less I consider it mistake by GWS to pass on Longer. In the end GWS ultimately added Downie who was good value later, but adding both Longer and Downie would have been better with few young rucks on their list.

Going with Haynes at 7 was a bit of a head scratcher with the choice of Longer/Tomlinson there. Would have taken either/or instead of Haynes, but it will be interesting to see in 4, 5 years time where GWS went right/wrong.

Otherwise it was very much as I'd expected and in line with my predictions of what GWS would do.

Not that it matters, but as a means of comparison this is how I would have picked for GWS:
If I was picking GWS:
1. Jonathan Patton
2. Stephen Coniglio
3. Dom Tyson
4. Chad Wingard
5. Billy Longer
6. Will Hoskin-Elliott
7. Elliot Kavanagh
8. Adam Tomlinson
9. Sam Docherty
10. Brad McKenzie
11. Brandon Ellis
12. Matthew Buntine
13. Sebastian Ross
14. Hayden Crozier

Hey Knighty,

I see you rate Seb Ross, did you like his selection by the saints ?

Also, I haven't heard much about the saints other selections.....like Newnes, Webster and Markworth

Could you shed any light, their weaknesses/deficiencies

Cheers :thumbsu:

Not that it matters, but as a means of comparison this is how I would have picked for GWS:
If I was picking GWS:
1. Jonathan Patton
2. Stephen Coniglio
3. Dom Tyson
4. Chad Wingard
5. Billy Longer
6. Will Hoskin-Elliott
7. Elliot Kavanagh
8. Adam Tomlinson
9. Sam Docherty
10. Brad McKenzie
11. Brandon Ellis
12. Matthew Buntine
13. Sebastian Ross
14. Hayden Crozier
Its nice to see you rate Kavanagh that highly, what do you think of him?

Hey Knighty,

I see you rate Seb Ross, did you like his selection by the saints ?

Also, I haven't heard much about the saints other selections.....like Newnes, Webster and Markworth

Could you shed any light, their weaknesses/deficiencies

Cheers :thumbsu:

Seb Ross in particular I like. Don't necessarily think he will produce from season 1, but has the work ethic to become one of the better players to come from this years draft. I'm very confident he will make it.
Can win the ball inside. Can also play some outside. Has improved his running game allot and has good endurance now. Ball use particularly by foot good. Tackling good.
Not necessarily a great athlete - think Pendlebury where he is agile and moves well but won't blow anyone away with his pace or break the lines. Disposal efficiency could also be a better and could take more marks around the ground as well as push forward more. But there aren't really the massive flaws in his game that can't be worked on.

I'm surprised the Saints didn't take a KPP in there somewhere, and as ruck choices Myles Bolger and Tom Downie would have been good selections and in my view better options than Lever.

But none the less the Saints midfield stocks are looking better with this draft, particularly with Ross.

Markworth adds some much needed outside run. Bit of a late bloomer. Is more potential over production but has done some really impressive things at TAC Cup level this year with his pace and footskills looking good. At 35 is solid value and was expected to go allot earlier.
The AFL IQ probably not there yet, and could improve his marking for a player of his size, but there are signs of promise.

Newnes is a highly skilled outside type. Has some versatility. Skill level good. Uses it well. Form has been there.
Could win some more of his own ball and take some more marks. Again solid prospect.

Jimmy Webster is a good ball user. Decision making is there. Pace is good. Has nice hurt factor on his kick. Again outside player but the talent is there. Didn't quite produce the year many were expecting, but there is a fair bit to like.

Overall I think this year St Kilda have drafted allot better this year than in years gone past and I think there is the opportunity to get 2 or 3 players who make it at the next level is there.

Its nice to see you rate Kavanagh that highly, what do you think of him?

Think he will be an immediate fit onto a wing for Essendon. Perfect fit, will be one of the better players to come out of this draft. Like Essendon I don't really care that he hasn't been able to play for much of the year, he can play and coming into the season was someone who was considered a likely top 3-4 selections based on his 2010 production.

Kavanagh has a really solid all around game. Can play inside/outside. Good athlete - endurance excellent and speed + agility both very good. Can win his own ball - but will continue to improve in this area. Very high level tackler. Ball use good.
Could go on to win the rising star award. That's how highly I rate Kavanagh. Certainly a top one of the better talents in this years draft and if he can turn around his injury troubles of this year he can go on to be one of the better talents in this draft.

Also interesting to see you don't rate Buntine.

Buntine I liked for a long time but my interest in him probably in the last week or so before the draft probably dropped a little and he slipped down my ratings in the end - even though the early draft position was always obvious. Just not sure where he will play at the next level and what role. As a shut down defender is pick 5 really the right price to spend? (Look at David Myers at Essendon - no guarantees with these types). As a midfielder I also see better talents in front of him in that side and as a midfielder also probably have him a little further back.

I just see Ellis and Docherty as higher level talents down back and see them as real "zone breakers" - which will be a term I'm sure the media and clubs will start using more over this coming season.
Defensively neither are in the same league as Buntine, but I just think the roles they can play are more important and that they will be able to perform it to a higher level than Buntine while someone who can play the roles Buntine does could come from a later or even rookie selection.

Hi there.I wouldn'tmind us taken either Frost or Bosely in the rooke draft or psd as project players.I'm not 100% sold on John McCarthy people dont rate his foot skills it seems,besides that they reckon he can play.I would rather a kid if that's the case and Port could be into him to as they hold a pick before us.two gys I'm interested in to se if they get rooked is Hartigan you mentioned and Tighe from the vfl side werribee,they could slot in someones side from round one no doubt.

Adam Maric is training with us and I think he will get rooked whats the go with this kid early draft pick talented junior great in the tac cup and highly rated just couldnt get going at the dees ?

Hi there.I wouldn'tmind us taken either Frost or Bosely in the rooke draft or psd as project players.I'm not 100% sold on John McCarthy people dont rate his foot skills it seems,besides that they reckon he can play.I would rather a kid if that's the case and Port could be into him to as they hold a pick before us.two gys I'm interested in to se if they get rooked is Hartigan you mentioned and Tighe from the vfl side werribee,they could slot in someones side from round one no doubt.

Adam Maric is training with us and I think he will get rooked whats the go with this kid early draft pick talented junior great in the tac cup and highly rated just couldnt get going at the dees ?

Frost and Boseley are two of the better KPP options likely to go in the rookie draft.

McCarthy is a solid option. He will make your midfield more complete and more competitive. As a rookie or in the PSD you can't really go wrong with him. Footskills aren't a standout feature of his game, but certainly not poor.

Hartigan and Tighe have both shown some nice improvement since being overlooked in the 2009 draft. Outside chances in the rookie draft, but I don't mind either as options, particularly Hartigan who looks like he could be a really solid key defender.

Maric hasn't really developed since entering the league. Just hasn't found that consistancy and hasn't taken his game anywhere significant - which often is the case with small forwards. Footskills very good, but what has disappointed me most is his poor tackle numbers. In my mind is a depth quality small forward if you're looking, but personally wouldn't recommend. As an alternative I'd go after Haiden Schloithe instead.

Hi there so Port beat us to ex pie Macca.Must say I wasn't convinced on him and happy with a kid.What a your thoughts on the tigers picks??.Cheers

Brett O'Hanlon (Dandenong Stingrays),Pick 25: Ben Darrou (Sandringham Dragons,Pick 43: Steven Verrier (South Fremantle),Pick 60: Gibson Turner (Glenelg),Pick 74: Piva Wright (Dandenong Stingrays)

Hi there so Port beat us to ex pie Macca.Must say I wasn't convinced on him and happy with a kid.What a your thoughts on the tigers picks??.Cheers

Brett O'Hanlon (Dandenong Stingrays),Pick 25: Ben Darrou (Sandringham Dragons,Pick 43: Steven Verrier (South Fremantle),Pick 60: Gibson Turner (Glenelg),Pick 74: Piva Wright (Dandenong Stingrays)

Richmond have gone with the theme of adding some more physically mature and bigger bodied types consistantly between both drafts.

You can see that in the rookie draft most with the Darrou and Wright selections.

O'Hanlon I really like as a fit and is selection to really look out for. Can be used as a 3rd tall and is a serious marking target. Best mark in this years draft. Has a fair bit of penetration on his kick.

Darrou is a real team player - will willingly work off the ball to help create time and space for other players. Big body. Plays best at this stage as a key defender but has some versatility and could develop in any number of positions depending on what Richmond think of him.

Verrier adds some class. Not a great ball winner but nice user of the footy and has some line breaking ability. Could look good on a forward flank in a good side.

Turner is a crumbing forward. Very quick and has goal sense. Has some talent.

Wright is the other big body. Has versatility - can play fwd/back/mid. Athleticism is good and is already very strongly built. Wins his own ball. Strong mark. Can play a shutdown role down back which is probably my preference for him, but like with Darrou, will be very interesting to see what is in mind for him.

Richmond have gone with the theme of adding some more physically mature and bigger bodied types consistantly between both drafts.

You can see that in the rookie draft most with the Darrou and Wright selections.

O'HanlonO'Hanlon I really like as a fit and is selection to really look out for. Can be used as a 3rd tall and is a serious marking target. Best mark in this years draft. Has a fair bit of penetration on his kick.

Darrou is a real team player - will willingly work off the ball to help create time and space for other players. Big body. Plays best at this stage as a key defender but has some versatility and could develop in any number of positions depending on what Richmond think of him.

Verrier adds some class. Not a great ball winner but nice user of the footy and has some line breaking ability. Could look good on a forward flank in a good side.

Turner is a crumbing forward. Very quick and has goal sense. Has some talent.

Wright is the other big body. Has versatility - can play fwd/back/mid. Athleticism is good and is already very strongly built. Wins his own ball. Strong mark. Can play a shutdown role down back which is probably my preference for him, but like with Darrou, will be very interesting to see what is in mind for him.

Thanks for the info Knightmare.From the vission I have seen of Wright he plays very like Mai Michael, while Darrou plays similar role to a O'brien or Gwilt.O'Hanlon look's like a super kick of the ball and a nice grab as you say.

Knightmare, would you mind telling me why Jai Sheahan was considered a rookie prospect?

I've seen him play live and for the life of me can't figure out why he would slip past the top 50 in the ND.

It's not like he didn't have a good year, coming 4th in the TAC goalkicking and winning the Falcons BnF.

Is it purely because of testing? Maybe because he didn't play in the champs?

Knightmare, would you mind telling me why Jai Sheahan was considered a rookie prospect?

I've seen him play live and for the life of me can't figure out why he would slip past the top 50 in the ND.

It's not like he didn't have a good year, coming 4th in the TAC goalkicking and winning the Falcons BnF.

Is it purely because of testing? Maybe because he didn't play in the champs?

Usually after around pick 40 if a club wants another KPP most often they wait till the rookie draft. Jai and Sam Frost both ended up in this bracket and went early rookie draft - even though either could easily have landed somewhere in the 2nd round.

Both were good enough to go in the national draft, but there are always players who slide through by no fault of their own and Jai + Sam are two examples of this just because they weren't quite as high up the KPP list as Schade, Elton, McInnes and Hamling among others who clubs liked slightly more.

Very little between any of the KPPs this year and they all come with their flaws.

re. Sheahan's athleticism don't see it as an issue. Can't remember his testing results but from my observations over the first 5 meters is good and also I like him in the air.

At this stage I regard Sheahan as a depth quality key forward. But with his production at TAC Cup, it will be interesting how he goes next year at VFL level and whether he can continue his improvement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a very good read two years down the track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back