Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2011 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a few heads would explode on the Port Board if Wingard's name was read out before Port's pick in the reverse top 10.

But it's interesting to read an alternative view of what could happen at pick 6 if Wingard was available, rather than it all being about whether Wingard will be there at 6.

I guess Kavanagh would be in the same boat as Wingard tho about durability queries with the added issue of how much his old boy would be a negative influence.

Emma Quayle has Greene in her top 10 talents and thinks Port are interested (along with Devon Smith and Liam Sumner).

You may be right, it might not be as simple a decision as many think.

Sumner is another I think will be on that short list. Think he is another who might intrigue Port.A because of his athleticism.

Pick 6 is probably a little early for Smith. Is a real trier but wouldn't recommend you spend an early pick on him.

GWS can not let Tomlinson drift past 7 with Brisbane at 8 and with Greene gone to Port at 6 Brisbane will take tomlinson who they rate with maybe devon smith at 12 they love Longer but will take a ruckman later then 12 you would think and bolger would still be avilable at 30 if they wanted him

I think you are right about Tomlinson. If GWS let him pass 7, which from the sounds of things they might do, Brisbane have a big opportunity to take him.

Longer I have in the same basket. If available at 8, Brisbane should take him, even if he hasn't been linked to Brisbane. The need is there for another ruckman, can spend some minutes forward so could easily be used in combination with Leuenberger to effect.

Bolger might still be available at 30, might go at pick 25 to St Kilda who should look at a ruckman in one of the drafts also.

Hi Knightmare .We have been linked to Adams of late and media says we a keen and will grab him.I got a feeling tho if Elliot Kavanagh was there we will get him.

Adams if available could well be the selection. Would certainly add to your midfield. No guarantees Brisbane or GWS don't take him though.

Kavanagh would be an excellent selection for Richmond. Think there might be a few other considerations. Any of: Sumner, Docherty, McKenzie, Ellis, Crozier, Markworth or Forster could also be read out at pick 15 for Richmond.

Sup KM, just a suggestion, check theresnocashhere's comment re: Tomlinson at the bottom of pg17 of ur original mock. Always one step ahead of you blokes...

Will have to keep a closer lookout for your posts.

Looks like Tomlinson was a good call. Certainly after Patton will be the 2nd KPP to go in this draft assuming all goes to plan.

Even fairly early on there were calls that Tomlinson would likely go late 1st. What he did do was close the year well and has since has moved up and now could find himself going top 10 on draft day.

Interesting that Knightmare's, Quigley's, Chris25's and Snoop Dog's Phantoms have clocked up only several hundred posts between tham yet well over 100K views. :thumbsu:

Well done guys.

Quigley, Snoop Dog and Chris25 have done fantastic jobs this year as always. All have fantastic draft knowledge and would have to produce some of the best phantom drafts posted on the net every year.

#66 Geelong - Sam Gordon (VIC – KPF/KPD)
Height: 197cm, Weight: 87kg, DOB: 31/03/1993
Recruited from: Geelong Falcons
Style: Travis Cloke
Player comparison:
Range: 35-rookie

#4 Brisbane – Sam Gordon (VIC – KPF/KPD)
Height: 197cm, Weight: 87kg, DOB: 31/03/1993
Recruited from: Geelong Falcons
Style: Travis Cloke
Player comparison:
Range: 35-rookie

Hey KM - may want to remove one of these...

Hey KM - may want to remove one of these...

Plan is will update rookie draft tonight/tomorrow with a couple more rookie options just to put a couple more names up there and will also make sure no overlap with my national draft.

I think Brisbane will draft Richard Newell with our first pick in the rookie draft Knights dosen't have him listed

Newell will be included in my rookie draft update very soon.

Hey KM, Happy to see that you have Jordan Kelly going to collingwood reuniting Kelly & Buckley (U16 VC coach). Is this inside info or a gut feel as he would be a nice pick up for the pies?

Hey KM, Happy to see that you have Jordan Kelly going to collingwood reuniting Kelly & Buckley (U16 VC coach). Is this inside info or a gut feel as he would be a nice pick up for the pies?

No inside info there.

Haven't heard any links.

Who is available and who we like is anyones guess coming into the draft at 50.

Just ended up a result of shuffling my order some more.

Got the idea from your post when you made mention of the relationship between Buckley + Kelly. Kelly would certainly fit our personality profiling. Have been keen to keep him in my draft, certainly think from 50 onward is one of the better choices.

Maxwell is aging - has an old body. Goldsack might for all we know request a trade at the end of the season if he doesn't become a regular, so I can see the fit if available at 65.

Hey Knight, heard that Ben Druscher, one of the co-captains of the Bendigo Bombers is on the Swans radar. Anything you can tell me about him?

You might have to fight Essendon for him.

Had a very good season, particularly the 2nd half of the season from my understanding.

Outside mid/forward. Very strong mark. Skill level good, duel sided. Decision making generally good.

For an outside type isn't all that quick - you've drafted a few quicker types in recent years (Jetta, Rohan) and being a smaller ground I think he could be an ok rookie fit for Sydney if you are looking mature age.

Hey Knight I don't agree with how you say Currie lacked opportunity. In 2010 he had plenty of opportunities with both Seaby and Mumford out of the side at the same time to step up and earn a place. He didn't, and this year Mumford/Pyke were also missing through injuries/suspension parts of the year and again couldn't get in. He had 5 years, he had the opportunities, I just can't see him getting redrafted.

Hey Knight I don't agree with how you say Currie lacked opportunity. In 2010 he had plenty of opportunities with both Seaby and Mumford out of the side at the same time to step up and earn a place. He didn't, and this year Mumford/Pyke were also missing through injuries/suspension parts of the year and again couldn't get in. He had 5 years, he had the opportunities, I just can't see him getting redrafted.

When I say lacked opportunity what I mean by that is that he didn't play senior games.

As a player I like Currie over Seaby/White/Pyke. Why I'm selecting Currie is because stylistically I like him as a fit and I see him as a good partner in combination with Jolly.

Also with rucks I'd rather take Currie as a 0 gamer over a Minson/Blake or similar ruckman with 40+ games. Once they've played that many games you know what you've got, but when you haven't got those senior games in, you just don't know how good the player is or can be, and Currie I suspect can be a player at the next level.

Best of all Currie comes with 4-5 years development under his belt. So like how Sydney have done very well trading into Mumford and similar types with those few years of development in them, I do view this as an advantage because he has been trained and trained at a good club.

Currie might not get re-drafted. But I'd be willing to give him the opportunity anyway. Think there might be something there to work with.

KM, if Essendon leave their ruckman pick till the RD, who would be the players who we'd look at? Tom Campbell, Dan Currie, Leif Cope?

The feeling I get is Essendon might wait till 59. If Bolger or Downie are there I expect they would be the choices - personally think both are too good to slide that far, but after taking a look at afl.com's phantom draft. Who knows.

As rookie ruck prospects I'd recommend Ben Brown (no.2 ruck option), Mitch Brewer (really big boy from a rugby background), Sam Michael (QLDer, maybe Bris/GC zone, if not might be worth looking at) and Chad Sandilands (Brother of Aaron. Not as tall, but the potential for development is there).
Jay Lever and Jack Hannath are other rookie chances who have also been spoken about.

So there are options.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi there just some views on the tiger picks Ellis,Elton,and Arnot.Read your profile on Ellis and you rate him highly look's like a natural footballer with that touch of class.Must say rapt with Elton at 26 has got big upside and development and has shown a bit.Cheers

Hi there just some views on the tiger picks Ellis,Elton,and Arnot.Read your profile on Ellis and you rate him highly look's like a natural footballer with that touch of class.Must say rapt with Elton at 26 has got big upside and development and has shown a bit.Cheers

I think Richmond are one of the winners to come out of this years draft.

Ellis is an excellent selection and will give you immediate drive from half back. Very ready to go high production player. Could easily play 20 games in his first season. Get excited about him. Good selection.

Elton I like as a long term prospect. High level athlete. Hasn't put it together yet, but time is on his side. I like him long term as a key defender so if things don't work out for him up forward or in the ruck, I hope Richmond make that move and give him the opportunity back there because with patience I can see him making it down back.

Arnot is an interesting one. Hasn't attracted much draft attention. Think he was invited to the state screening so most likely Richmond could have got him as a rookie. Physically very well built and will have spent considerable time in the gym. Has a long kick on him. Will be interesting to see how he goes.

The feeling I get with Richmond is that they are really trying to build a very strong, tough, physical team - which I don't necessarily mind. It will take a some time to build a whole team in this image, but it looks like what coach Hardwick is going for.

Your take on the dogs draft?

I thought the Dogs did ok. Wouldn't have you in my top few, but you didn't do poorly either and you might get one or two players out of this draft with some luck.

Talia was the big win and the selection you should be really pleased with. Good value at 39 for mine. From all reports has been working tirelessly on his kicking over the drafting period so I'm not as worried about him as others because he will put in the work. Will be your unfashionable, but consistant, shut down key defender if he develops to plan.

Clay Smith is an interesting one. Probably wouldn't have been my choice 1st round. Attack on the ball goes without question, but footskills not great. Kavanagh/McKenzie/Crozier would have been my recommendations with that early pick but that doesn't mean Smith doesn't have chances to develop into a good player in his own right, infact I suspect he might push for games reasonably early which is probably what the Dogs are looking for.

Thoughts on the Swans draft, Knight? Thought that Lockyer was a good find, but Brown was out of nowhere.

Agree with you on Lockyer. Like the selection. Good value. Will play a physical game and could be a good addition as a key defender.

Alex Brown I had in my draft, but wouldn't have featured in every draft. Is handy because he can take opponents of varying size down back. Ball use needs work though.

I think Richmond are one of the winners to come out of this years draft.

Ellis is an excellent selection and will give you immediate drive from half back. Very ready to go high production player. Could easily play 20 games in his first season. Get excited about him. Good selection.

Elton I like as a long term prospect. High level athlete. Hasn't put it together yet, but time is on his side. I like him long term as a key defender so if things don't work out for him up forward or in the ruck, I hope Richmond make that move and give him the opportunity back there because with patience I can see him making it down back.

Arnot is an interesting one. Hasn't attracted much draft attention. Think he was invited to the state screening so most likely Richmond could have got him as a rookie. Physically very well built and will have spent considerable time in the gym. Has a long kick on him. Will be interesting to see how he goes.

The feeling I get with Richmond is that they are really trying to build a very strong, tough, physical team - which I don't necessarily mind. It will take a some time to build a whole team in this image, but it looks like what coach Hardwick is going for.

Thanks for that.Can you see Ellis going into the midfield later on ?.As you said there were concerns on his pace but he did well at draft camp.Arnot looks built as a brick nice left foot and hard at it and runs hard.Could be a good get at 55.I think we should try rookie a key back who is left ? Cheers

Nice work, Knighta. Are you planning on redoing your PSD/Rookie mocks?

Probably not at this stage. But who knows, if I find the time I might get around to it.

If I start anything it might be the much more interesting 2012 draft but that is likely a January job. Pretty keen to get at least a 1st round up for that with some descriptions in based on what i've seen this year.

Thanks for that.Can you see Ellis going into the midfield later on ?.As you said there were concerns on his pace but he did well at draft camp.Arnot looks built as a brick nice left foot and hard at it and runs hard.Could be a good get at 55.I think we should try rookie a key back who is left ? Cheers

Has the ability to go into the midfield later on, certainly. But I like him more down back. Great at reading the play down back and suits his natural game with his running and long kicking best.

Because of his strong body type I just didn't have a clue Ellis is as fast as he is. I suggest he prepaired well pre combine and has put allot of work in so credit to him for his hard work.

Key defenders. Fair few. The ones I'd look at:
Sam Frost
Michael Bussey (played mostly key forward but like him more down back)
Andrew Boseley
Justin Clarke
Kyle Hartigan

G'day Knightmare,
Was wondering if you could give us a run down on Joshua Bootsma?
I haven't heard much about him before the draft and it was a surprise that Wayne Hughes picked him at #22.

G'day Knightmare,
Was wondering if you could give us a run down on Joshua Bootsma?
I haven't heard much about him before the draft and it was a surprise that Wayne Hughes picked him at #22.

Bootsma isn't one I closely followed throughout the season.

Those few times i've seen him play didn't really stand out to me personally - but this is going off few games where I didn't focus on his game so trust the judges who have seen more. Bootsma is a solid, defensive type back flanker. Offensively is ok without being anything special. Seems a long way off playing at AFL level from my observation and will take time.
As I understand it Bootsma has a good work ethic, so I suggest he interviewed well. Also in Kevin Sheehan's top 30, so clearly I have missed something.

There was talk Bootsma might feature in the 1st round, so to me it wasn't as much of a surprise as the Sam Rowe selection. But Bootsma wouldn't have been my selection.

hey Knight. What are your thoughts on the GWS letting longer slide and ultimately losing him? My take on it is that they had a draft plan to let Wingard slide for port and Tominlson slide for the Lions so they could pick him up as the slider. Port have already come out and said how tempted they were to pick Longer, but wingard was too good to pass up so the first part worked, but I wonder if the Lions play the GWS right into their hands with the idea they were super keen on Tominlson

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back