Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2011 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont like your current richmond selections- Crozier and Paine... Francis Jackson has said that he expects a good midfielder to slide to our pick 15 so i doubt he would be passing up on Kavanagh if he is still available.

Also you said that Richmond would take Paine with pick 26 to be the guy that helps out Jack Riewoldt... Tyrone Vickery showed that he could be that player this year. Plus all hope is not lost with Griffiths, Post or Astbury to chip in. Griffiths and Post had better TAC cup seasons than Paine. Again i would expect us to go with a mid at this pick or at least someone that can run through there.

You havent taken a midfielder, which is unrealistic from the tigers standpoint

Re: Knightmare's 2011 Mock Draft

Knightmare, I was just wondering where abouts you would have fitted Jamie Elliot into the draft order if Collingwood hadnt of traded for him through GWS?

Would be a late selection. Anywhere around pick 60 might have been an appropriate selection to use on Elliot in my mind.

Suspect Collingwood rate him a little higher though.

I dont like your current richmond selections- Crozier and Paine... Francis Jackson has said that he expects a good midfielder to slide to our pick 15 so i doubt he would be passing up on Kavanagh if he is still available.

Also you said that Richmond would take Paine with pick 26 to be the guy that helps out Jack Riewoldt... Tyrone Vickery showed that he could be that player this year. Plus all hope is not lost with Griffiths, Post or Astbury to chip in. Griffiths and Post had better TAC cup seasons than Paine. Again i would expect us to go with a mid at this pick or at least someone that can run through there.

You havent taken a midfielder, which is unrealistic from the tigers standpoint

Crozier is a midfielder (outside) would compliment your young group of inside midfielders who are showing promise. While he doesn't have the consistancy of performance I don't entirely agree with recent views on him. Is a very high level talent and is a 1st round talent, no doubt in my mind.
Kavanagh is the other I expect Richmond to consider early and I agree he is the best available. Still another 2 weeks out from the draft yet so I'd rather offer some alternative type selections, but Kavanagh is rightly the consensus selection for Richmond at pick 15.

Worth noting, Paine can also play through the midfield even though I do have him listed as a key forward and would expect him to develop there long term.

You make mention of Vickery as a no.2 option up forward. I also like him up forward but in reality he will have to also play some ruck minutes. There is room in the Richmond forwardline for another key forward alongside Riewoldt + Vickery. Paine is an ideal option at CHF and VERY underrated. At 26 in my mind anyway Paine represents good value and at times during the U18 champs looked better than Patton frankly.
Your other key forward stocks outside of Riewoldt don't exactly scream out "premiership" so I would add to it.

My idea with the Curran selection is to have him as a big, strong key defender - which you really don't and haven't had in a long time.

You can always add to your midfield stocks next year which will be a massively strong draft featuring allot of potential top line midfielders. No reason to avoid going tall this year with 1/2 selections if the appropriate choices are there, as they are in this draft.

Crozier is a midfielder (outside) would compliment your young group of inside midfielders who are showing promise. While he doesn't have the consistancy of performance I don't entirely agree with recent views on him. Is a very high level talent and is a 1st round talent, no doubt in my mind.
Kavanagh is the other I expect Richmond to consider early and I agree he is the best available. Still another 2 weeks out from the draft yet so I'd rather offer some alternative type selections, but Kavanagh is rightly the consensus selection for Richmond at pick 15.

Worth noting, Paine can also play through the midfield even though I do have him listed as a key forward and would expect him to develop there long term.

You make mention of Vickery as a no.2 option up forward. I also like him up forward but in reality he will have to also play some ruck minutes. There is room in the Richmond forwardline for another key forward alongside Riewoldt + Vickery. Paine is an ideal option at CHF and VERY underrated. At 26 in my mind anyway Paine represents good value and at times during the U18 champs looked better than Patton frankly.
Your other key forward stocks outside of Riewoldt don't exactly scream out "premiership" so I would add to it.

My idea with the Curran selection is to have him as a big, strong key defender - which you really don't and haven't had in a long time.

You can always add to your midfield stocks next year which will be a massively strong draft featuring allot of potential top line midfielders. No reason to avoid going tall this year with 1/2 selections if the appropriate choices are there, as they are in this draft.

I think you're writing off young Griffiths far too early. I have no issue with taking Paine at 26 because i think he is going to be a quality player too, however, if we did then we would need to take an out and out midfielder at 15. Crozier is a winger/flanker and i think his best position is at half back flank. I'd much rather Docherty or Ellis at this position

Too many ??? on Crozier to be taken at pick 15. Could go earlier to GWS but they have the picks to take the risk. We dont!

I have to agree with OTF, obviously your PD but I think you have Richmond's needs wrong. Jackson has stated we are hoping to take a sliding midfielder - an inside midfielder is probably our greatest need. We need more quality all over the field but our depth in the middle is very poor. Can't see us passing on Kavanagh if available.

If Paine is available at 26 I wouldn't be adverse to picking him, but only if we had taken a mid at 15. I have alot of faith in Griff to develop (former #19) and even Astbury to swing forward and it looks as though the club do too. Vickery may end up playing a permanent forward role. If he is clearly best available at that stage fair enough.

Brisbane's picks seem to change everytime i come on to see your draft are they the team you seem to struggle with the most now you have us taking 2 ruckman one would be enough as we will look at ruckman in the rookie draft

Brisbane with those two earlier picks really have the chance to shape the draft.

Why I have had difficulty with the Brisbane picks is because at pick 8/12 I just don't see the value in picking KPPs at that stage. There is depth in the KPP group, just not the real standouts which make the Brisbane selections interesting.
At this stage for Brisbane I'm favouring: 8 - best available. 12 - Bolger. 30 - best available KPP.
Probably the best way to maximise value while meeting needs.

Where will Simon Turnbridge go knight???

If drafted in my view more of a late/rookie.

Is a real tweener. Not tall enough to play as a key forward. Can also play some key defence, 3rd tall either end or even through the midfield.

Have him in the Jake Hammond class where he is at that awkward size and like Hammond has also had injury difficulties this season.

Do like his ball use and marking ability for someone of his size/type. Good athlete. So a bit to like.

Also worth noting like with Jimmi Savage who similarly left GWS - there is the issue of homesickness. So wouldn't recommend for a non WA club. Fremantle late might consider.

From a Bulldog point of view, if this draft were to eventuate.
I'd be a happy camper especially with Ellis and Lockyer. Perfect type of players that will please McCartney and fit into his hard at it game style.

I would rather Sam Kerridge at our pick #49 though. Besides that, excellent effort!

I'd be a happy camper especially with Ellis and Lockyer. Perfect type of players that will please McCartney and fit into his hard at it game style.

I would rather Sam Kerridge at our pick #49 though. Besides that, excellent effort!

Kerridge won't make it past 31 if he is available, IMO

Kavanagh to Carlton now! Injuries aside, I would be over the moon with that.

Should also highlight Yeo coming to us at 44 then being bloody stolen in the RD :mad:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kerridge is an interesting one. HFF took Kerridge in the bigfooty phantom draft, and at 49 is good value. My question would be do you want another inside mid? Just added Liber + Wallis last year then next year under F/S you'll have the opportunity to snag Lachie Hunter who is another high level inside mid.
Kerridge as a player I like he is strong overhead, a nice height and has that versatility to play forward as well as win his own footy through the midfield. Kicking can let him down at times though.

Newnes on this site has really gone under the radar and I don't agree with the assumption that he will go late/rookie. Anywhere from probably 35 he comes into consideration and could easily go inside the top 50. Adds some versatility and a really solid link up player. WBD have been complaining about the decline in footskills over the past 2 or so seasons so Newnes probably adds more what WBD are looking for.

Kavanagh to Carlton now! Injuries aside, I would be over the moon with that.

Should also highlight Yeo coming to us at 44 then being bloody stolen in the RD :mad:

AFL clubs aren't talking about Kavanagh as highly as we are on bigfooty. Has struggled with injury this year and because they have been less exposed to his form this year, probably aren't as keen as I think they should be.
Would be a great get wouldn't he? Just about completes that already loaded midfield.

a potential a-grader? yes please:thumbsu:
how did Kavanagh go in the combine?

Unsure if he did all the testing.

In clean hands finished with the best efficiency rate at the combine.

Endurance testing I suspect would also be elite - beep would be somewhere around the 15 mark I suspect.

Not slow either. So don't have serious problems with him as an athlete either.

Is a really genuinely good all rounder.

For all we know he could still go in the top 10, but talk right now is he will go late 1st, so the possibility might just be there for Carlton to capitalise.

Surely the Bombers would be all over Kavanagh if he slipped to 19...? Need more A-grade mids and whilst he's a risk, he'd certainly fit the bill.

AFL clubs aren't talking about Kavanagh as highly as we are on bigfooty. Has struggled with injury this year and because they have been less exposed to his form this year, probably aren't as keen as I think they should be.
Would be a great get wouldn't he? Just about completes that already loaded midfield.
Pfft, what do AFL clubs know?

He feels like a good fit for Carlton. Whilst we do need more depth, we have a lot of talent in the midfield and for anyone to be a realistic addition they would have to be seriously good. We may be in a better position than other clubs (especially given the compromised drafts severely impacting sides loading up on youth) to take the risk with Kavanagh's injury concerns and take a very patient approach with him.

However, I expect that if his injury concerns aren't actually that bad and are easily manageable, another club would pounce before 22.

Kerridge is an interesting one. HFF took Kerridge in the bigfooty phantom draft, and at 49 is good value. My question would be do you want another inside mid? Just added Liber + Wallis last year then next year under F/S you'll have the opportunity to snag Lachie Hunter who is another high level inside mid.
Kerridge as a player I like he is strong overhead, a nice height and has that versatility to play forward as well as win his own footy through the midfield. Kicking can let him down at times though.

I am not completely sold on Wallis, looked out of his depth (at times) this year, and whilst I agree that the Dogs need to build their midfield both Ross (at 39) and Kerridge (at 49) were just really 'best available', with the versatility that both Kerridge (mid/fwd) and Ross (mid/def) bring help them at the next level.

Think Ross could start at HB/BP next year and Kerridge showed his ability at VFL level to suggest that he could certainly help fill the void of Callan Ward).

Kerridge learnt to take the 'safer' options later in the year and really looked to hit most of his targets, missed no more than the standard AFL level player.

As for Lachie Hunter, a prodigious talent and one that is being touted as a potential first round pick pick. Have heard (and read) that he is more of a back flanker that can push into the midfield, and does possess quite a high skill level for a predominantly inside player.

Newnes on this site has really gone under the radar and I don't agree with the assumption that he will go late/rookie. Anywhere from probably 35 he comes into consideration and could easily go inside the top 50. Adds some versatility and a really solid link up player. WBD have been complaining about the decline in footskills over the past 2 or so seasons so Newnes probably adds more what WBD are looking for.

I really, really like Jack newnes as a player, seems to do alot of things well. A highly skilled player who can run all day, he does have wonderfil skills, and a player i was highly considering at pick 70 (odd) for the Bulldogs.

Another player who has gone under the radar a bit seems to be Matthew Jacquier who was selected in the SA U/18 squad, did he even manage a game? He produced some high quality football in the colts this season, managed 37 goals in only 14 games (kicked 3 bags of 5) and seems like a very mercurial type.

Knightmare, while i've got you, of the KPP's who seem to be sliding through to the rookie draft, any of them ratable? I do really like Valentine as a rookie. Whilst I think I do like the sounds of Buscher (the mature aged kid from WAFL).

Can you give me some likely KPF types (not necesarily 3rd tall KPF's) that are likely to fall through to the rookie draft? and some likely Small forwards that are going to slip through?

I think we are going to look at the younger guys and not the mature (23 y.o+) guys.

Would love to hear your real thoughts about who you rate and who you don't rate (who is being talked up on BF though).

Cheers

Top work OP.

My two cents is I think Clay Smith will go a lot higher than everyone anticipates.

Brisbane with those two earlier picks really have the chance to shape the draft. Why I have had difficulty with the Brisbane picks is because at pick 8/12 I just don't see the value in picking KPPs at that stage. There is depth in the KPP group, just not the real standouts which make the Brisbane selections interesting.
At this stage for Brisbane I'm favouring: 8 - best available. 12 - Bolger. 30 - best available KPP. Probably the best way to maximise value while meeting needs.

It can be a tough one to pick Brisbane.

What are your thoughts on ruck depth through the draft? I've seen Longer and Elton, but have also heard that Ben Brown and Tom Downie later in the draft seem to suit Brisbane's needs (though i haven't seen any of them really). In my experience, except A grade rucks (eg. Longer, or for Brisbane, Leuenberger), most are projects developed over years, and seeing as we're after a 2nd ruck and forward, I would've thought that we could take a project 2nd ruckman... though i suppose if you don't like the early KPPs, that could be worthwhile.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts/justification. I've considered Elton early given his ability to go forward, but haven't really looked at Bolger... would be keen to hear your insights.

Surely the Bombers would be all over Kavanagh if he slipped to 19...? Need more A-grade mids and whilst he's a risk, he'd certainly fit the bill.

Would be on the list to be looked at if available. No certainty he is the target. No rumours that i've heard linking Kavanagh to Essendon. But you took the stab on Heppell last year who was rumoured to slide, no reason why you don't capitalise on Kavanagh also.

Pfft, what do AFL clubs know?

He feels like a good fit for Carlton. Whilst we do need more depth, we have a lot of talent in the midfield and for anyone to be a realistic addition they would have to be seriously good. We may be in a better position than other clubs (especially given the compromised drafts severely impacting sides loading up on youth) to take the risk with Kavanagh's injury concerns and take a very patient approach with him.

However, I expect that if his injury concerns aren't actually that bad and are easily manageable, another club would pounce before 22.

I don't have great issues with those who had have injuries as juniors. So many have come back from having the injury prone tag and gone on to be stars - Judd, Selwood.

Best to take the best talent.

Another player who has gone under the radar a bit seems to be Matthew Jacquier who was selected in the SA U/18 squad, did he even manage a game? He produced some high quality football in the colts this season, managed 37 goals in only 14 games (kicked 3 bags of 5) and seems like a very mercurial type.

Knightmare, while i've got you, of the KPP's who seem to be sliding through to the rookie draft, any of them ratable? I do really like Valentine as a rookie. Whilst I think I do like the sounds of Buscher (the mature aged kid from WAFL).

Can you give me some likely KPF types (not necesarily 3rd tall KPF's) that are likely to fall through to the rookie draft? and some likely Small forwards that are going to slip through?

I think we are going to look at the younger guys and not the mature (23 y.o+) guys.

Would love to hear your real thoughts about who you rate and who you don't rate (who is being talked up on BF though).

Cheers

Agree with the Jacquier call. Worth drafting. Some talent there.

As for some potential sliders: Dobosz, Marley Williams, Ben Brown, Sam Gordon, Haiden Schloithe.

As mature agers who could slide: Lee Spurr, Kyle Horsley and Sam Dwyer are the ones to target.

Any chance of Kavanagh at 27? Your building my hopes up too much of a potential Superslide. :D

Not likely. But would be a hell of a get anywhere in the 20s.
Worth being ready if a shock like this does happen though.

Top work OP.

My two cents is I think Clay Smith will go a lot higher than everyone anticipates.

Could be right about Clay Smith. Have him sliding just because I wanted a couple of others to feature higher. Shane Nelson is in the same boat.
Little midfielders who both deserve to go higher on quality but some others might be preferred on type or to fill needs.

It can be a tough one to pick Brisbane.

What are your thoughts on ruck depth through the draft? I've seen Longer and Elton, but have also heard that Ben Brown and Tom Downie later in the draft seem to suit Brisbane's needs (though i haven't seen any of them really). In my experience, except A grade rucks (eg. Longer, or for Brisbane, Leuenberger), most are projects developed over years, and seeing as we're after a 2nd ruck and forward, I would've thought that we could take a project 2nd ruckman... though i suppose if you don't like the early KPPs, that could be worthwhile.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts/justification. I've considered Elton early given his ability to go forward, but haven't really looked at Bolger... would be keen to hear your insights.

I don't have a great issue with the ruck depth this yea.r

As early selections Longer and Bolger are the good gets.
Elton is probably more of a KPP who can swing into the ruck for minor minutes.
Mid draft Tom Downie is an option.

Ben Brown, Mitch Brewer or Chad Sandilands could be options as rookies.

Rumours with Brisbane are that Jack Hannath - SA Ruckman who could have been drafted in 2009 is one being looked at.
Mitch Brewer also as another rookie option.

Even as a more mature option someone like a Daniel Currie could be a solid option. Russell Gabriel from the VFL also.

There are options out there. Don't mind some of the options as long term prospects.

Bombers have said they will pick up another ruckman in the draft, who can you see them picking and what pick will they use, early or go for a later pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back