Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2011 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Knight

Don't think GWS can overlook the talents of Tomlinson, Longer, Buntine. Reckon you could be on the money with WHE going top 5 whilst P.A will surely pick up Wingard ahead of Longer, they should happy with Lobbe's development this year.

PA need an immediate boost. Certainly Wingard if available is the man.
If not available then Tomlinson/Buntine/Kavanagh/Hoskin-Elliot/Sumner/Longer come into consideration with no clear selection.

Wingard can do it all, that is why I think they will take him ahead of a ruckmen..

Agreed.

Just updated my order. Decided to mix it up with a couple of different names and a couple of different sliders.

Moved Wingard down to 6. As you can see with my new order GWS can still get who they want if they skip on Wingard. They won't even need to risk Longer to Port Adelaide.

Great read Knightmare, thanks.

Saints needs are mids, KP and a young ruck which you have identified. They have enough running types.
Somewhere in there I also hope they take an in and under mid like a Clay Smith or Waldhuter if available....

Great read Knightmare, thanks.

Saints needs are mids, KP and a young ruck which you have identified. They have enough running types.
Somewhere in there I also hope they take an in and under mid like a Clay Smith or Waldhuter if available....

My focus with St.K was to land you some KPPs and also include some appropriate mids.

In and under mids will get consideration without a doubt. Might be a few cheap rookie options who represent value if you don't grab one in the national draft, but the likes of Waldhuter without a doubt should be considered.

GWS are clearly gunning for Tomlinson from what I have seen. It would be a massive call to pick him ahead of Wingard and WHE.

Would Brisbane pick Tomlinson if he was avaliable at 8. I guess this would be the only reason GWS would pick him in the top 5.

Port fans would be going nuts.

I intentionally went in a different direction to add some variation with the early selections, but this is certainly a way GWS could manipulate the draft to suit what they are trying to achieve.

My understanding is that GWS are willing to let Wingard slip, and with Port Adelaide coming in at 6 they would probably take him over just about anyone.

I can't really see Port Adelaide gunning for Hoskin-Elliot, which allows GWS to take him at 7 and get what I consider anyway to be the 6 players they most want.

If Tomlinson makes it to 8, he'd certainly be high on Brisbane's list. Also suspect Port.A might look at him with pick 6 which is why I have GWS taking him a little earlier than others do at this stage.

Knighta,

i have noticed that Jordan Kelly has dropped out of your rankings. i have just selected him in the Phantom. Interested to know why you have him as a slider?

Knighta,

i have noticed that Jordan Kelly has dropped out of your rankings. i have just selected him in the Phantom. Interested to know why you have him as a slider?

Came into the season really keen on Kelly. Had him as a late 1st - 2nd round type. Probably along with a few others possibly didn't quite perform to the level I had hoped and at this stage not quite sure where to place him.

Anywhere from around pick 50 I view Kelly as one of the better value options and his slip down my rankings is more so because I have a couple of others I wanted to fit in a little higher than I had in my earlier drafts.

With Kelly not entirely sure what will be his position at the next level will be. Will he be developed into a KPD? Or will he be more of a tall running/attacking defender. My view is probably more likely the latter.

What I like is that he can play a shutdown type role but then also provide some attack and rebound from defence, so he can play that variety of roles depending on matchups which is handy.

Just don't know quite know where to fit him.

Thoughts on Waldhunter going at 31? From the little I've seen of him, seems like a goer for me. I'd be wrapped with him at that stage, and seems to be the type of player who could top off our side nicely. Also; best Small forwards/crumbers? Could Smith play that role for us?

Hey Knightmare the Lions might be drafting Richard Newell he is one of their NSW scholarship players. Would you take him in the ND or is he more of a rookie option?

Thoughts on Waldhunter going at 31? From the little I've seen of him, seems like a goer for me. I'd be wrapped with him at that stage, and seems to be the type of player who could top off our side nicely. Also; best Small forwards/crumbers? Could Smith play that role for us?

Waldhuter would be a really nice selection at 31. Rate very highly myself, unsure in clubland if rated as highly. Is a real Patrick Dangerfield type with his attack on the ball.

Devon Smith could very easily play as a forward. Is good either through the midfield or up forward which also leaves open the possibility of him being a part of the Essendon midfield rotation. But as a forward does the things you like - tackles, works harder than everyone else, while short can take a grab and can finish.

Best pure small forward in my mind is Haiden Schloithe. Anywhere from around pick 40 should come into consideration. Tackling machine and always seems dangerous when the ball is in his hands.

Hey Knightmare the Lions might be drafting Richard Newell he is one of their NSW scholarship players. Would you take him in the ND or is he more of a rookie option?

My understanding is that Brisbane will take Newell as a rookie.

Should put him in my rookie draft for accuracy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

strong rumuors going around Brisbane are highly considering Tomlinson and Greene but you have us taking Sumner insted of Greene why?

Sumner is a better talent + better fit. When I say better talent I'm not talking production - posessions, talking more the attributes he posesses which suggest that he could be the better player. Has incredibly good speed, tackling ability is a big strength and can really influence games and turn them on their head with some of the highlight plays he can produce such as dancing around opposition players effortlessly and really break the lines.

Also can see more of a need for an outside mid than an inside mid. Just added Zorko as an inside mid - and really like your midfield group as is otherwise. Don't think Greene is necessary. But certainly I can imagine would get considered very closely at pick 8, or pick 12 if available there because he is one of those high level production mids who can produce now and you know what you are getting.

Great work Knightmare. I would be very happy as a Power supporter if it fell that way.

You have Port taking a player (Eardley) with pick 78 and Davis in the PSD. That could only happen if Port delist someone else before the PSD. Port could not replace both veteran listed Chad Cornes and Brogan because we only have one player eligible for placing on the vetrerans list (Cassisi).

strong rumuors going around Brisbane are highly considering Tomlinson and Greene but you have us taking Sumner insted of Greene why?

Where are you hearing these "strong rumours"? From Phelan and Quayle?

Especially given GWS' glut of picks I'm even less inclined than usual to believe draft rumours this year.

I very much concur with KM's reasoning btw.

Great work Knightmare. I would be very happy as a Power supporter if it fell that way.

You have Port taking a player (Eardley) with pick 78 and Davis in the PSD. That could only happen if Port delist someone else before the PSD. Port could not replace both veteran listed Chad Cornes and Brogan because we only have one player eligible for placing on the vetrerans list (Cassisi).

Quite right too. Will adjust the number of picks for a couple of other clubs also. Will get around to this over the coming week or so.

Think you got the "Why" for Brisbane's pick 30 wrong, you mention GC.

Mentioned GWS. But quite right.
This is the big reason why i've left out the "why" section for each selection. Shuffle around my order so much, it just isn't possible to correctly edit each selection to correspond with where I expect each player to go today.

As much as I'd love it to happen, GWS would be mad to take Tomlinson at 5. There is next to no chance Port will use pick 6 on anyone but a midfielder or Longer, so taking Tomlinson at 5 is just robbing themselves of their choice of midfielder. Even if they desperately want him, they'd be better off taking him at 7 and taking their pick of Wingard/WHE at 5 to make sure we don't steal whichever one they want. Even if they were willing to let Wingard slip, they'd be better off taking WHE just in case we decide our need for a speedy midfielder outweighs going for best available.

I only see one KPF with potential on your list - John Butcher.

If PA rate Tomlinson (which I do not know), who knows, perhaps you rob GWS of him. The point I'm trying to get accross is that I don't necessarily think Port Adelaide are any more likely to want Hoskin-Elliot so the order GWS select these in won't matter under the assumption that Port Adelaide go with Wingard. But I'm sure GWS will be thoughtful as to who they take before pick 6 and who would be the less risky to let slide.

So Wingard in a way can be used as a bait to make sure GWS get the 6 they want most before Brisbane start to cause chaos.

Where are you hearing these "strong rumours"? From Phelan and Quayle?

Especially given GWS' glut of picks I'm even less inclined than usual to believe draft rumours this year.

I very much concur with KM's reasoning btw.

Noticed something under Phelan's draft whispers column this morning about the possibility that Brisbane go for Greene. I'd say he is one of a couple Brisbane are considering.

If I was picking for Brisbane would be looking at Kavanagh/Buntine just because I see them as the best value.

But a Hoskin-Elliot/Sumner if available are really logical fits and the type of selections I see Brisbane more likely going after because they have something really different to offer the squad. Same with Tomlinson as a KPP if available at pick 8.

Why has Paine gone from pick 10 to 26?

I really like him as a fit for GWS because he has shown that he can play well in a forwardline next to Patton.

But realistically he will land somewhere closer to pick 20-35.

I see you have us taking frasher mcinnes where do you see him playing he's not that good of a forward do you think he could play that merrett role down back if so are there better defender avilable?

Didn't really like the KPP fits for Brisbane at 12. McInnes was really the choice I disliked least. Could eventually replace Merrett down back, no doubt but I don't dislike him as a key forward either and would be comfortable developing him in either position.

As just a key defender McInnes/Talia are the two better choices. If keen on Talia might be able to get at pick 30.

Two real sliders I see are two of the more skilled players who don't quite have the pace in McKenzie and Grigg....is that your reasoning behind it? I think if either avaliable at norths 2nd pick they will be taken in a second

Two real sliders I see are two of the more skilled players who don't quite have the pace in McKenzie and Grigg....is that your reasoning behind it? I think if either avaliable at norths 2nd pick they will be taken in a second

McKenzie is probably the best pure kick in this draft. But really doesn't have a that many other standout features in his game. This said he should be higher up my draft order - just can't find a spot for him. If he slides to North Melbourne's 2nd rounder would be a really good get and can highly recommend.

With Grigg there are some real questions coming out of SA on his attitude which is why he is rumoured to slide further than his production - which has been fantastic this year might suggest. Also NM don't really need any more inside mids I wouldn't think, so not sure he is the best fit.

Re: Knightmare's 2011 Mock Draft

Knightmare, I was just wondering where abouts you would have fitted Jamie Elliot into the draft order if Collingwood hadnt of traded for him through GWS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back