Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2011 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be very surprised if we actually took a ruckman with 19 or 31. It will almost certainly be a mature age rookie pickup in my opinion. We still have Ryder/Bellchambers for a long time and (probably) a young Daniher in next years draft. Hille will probably finish up at the end of 2012. We probably need more depth but its not urgent enough to use a top pick.

I dont think hawks will choose Nic Murphy at pick 33 should be looking at getting a player to add some strength to our defence Pick Henry Schade with pick 33 have him as the athletic defender with great ball skills give him a few years to devolp some muscle mass coz he only weighs 81 kg at the moment. and have either a late pick or even first or second round rookie

Kyle Hartigan, 194cm, 91kg, 7/11/1991, Defender

Another highly talented kid that was surprisingly overlooked in his draft class of '09. He has gone away and played some very good senior football. From the couple of games I have seen of him this year he is trying to be more counter active than reactive than this time two years ago when he seemed a pure stopper, one thing that had hung over his head. Some had Hartigan as a monty top 40 of his draft year, so anyone want a ready made KPD, come and get him.

or

Tobias Thoolen, 196cm, 99kg, 23/2/1990, Defender

Some think, this former Collingwood rookie listed player was let go too early after being selected as an underager directly from placing second in the Pioneers best and fairest. He has come on strongly in the padt 12 months after being a somewhat of a bit parts player, finally settling in well in defence. He has added to his frame and is now a lot more mature. At (nearly) 21, he could well and truly be given another shot.

surely one of them could be the "gorilla defender we have been screaming for, for years what are your thoughts

Bombers have said they will pick up another ruckman in the draft, who can you see them picking and what pick will they use, early or go for a later pick?

Might be looking at possibly Bolger at 19 or Downie at 31. My suspicions are the latter.

Will also be rookie possibilities which I'm sure Essendon will look at if they past one these two in the national draft.

Drafting a young ruck prospect fits their age profiling well - usually with KPPs/rucks the preferred age gap is 4 years, so assuming Bellchambers is the projected future ruckman this year is the logical year to draft one.

I'd be very surprised if we actually took a ruckman with 19 or 31. It will almost certainly be a mature age rookie pickup in my opinion. We still have Ryder/Bellchambers for a long time and (probably) a young Daniher in next years draft. Hille will probably finish up at the end of 2012. We probably need more depth but its not urgent enough to use a top pick.

Will be interesting to see how Essendon approach this. I think there could be some value in some of the ruck choices - namely Bolger or Downie at 19/31. But there will also be some value in a couple of the midfield choices who might be equally attractive.

I dont think hawks will choose Nic Murphy at pick 33 should be looking at getting a player to add some strength to our defence Pick Henry Schade with pick 33 have him as the athletic defender with great ball skills give him a few years to devolp some muscle mass coz he only weighs 81 kg at the moment. and have either a late pick or even first or second round rookie

Kyle Hartigan, 194cm, 91kg, 7/11/1991, Defender

or

Tobias Thoolen, 196cm, 99kg, 23/2/1990, Defender

surely one of them could be the "gorilla defender we have been screaming for, for years what are your thoughts

Hawthorn just added Jarrad Boumann as a key defender. Being a mature choice I think Hawthorn might give him this year before drafting any more key defenders.

Hartigan is one i've liked for a couple of years now. Could be a handy rookie list option with some potential. Has continued his development well at VFL level and looks like a solid at worst option. Certainly a strong 1v1 option and I like him as a fit for Hawthorn.

Thoolen could add some height down back. Haven't seen allot of him this year but have heard only good reports. Physically a late bloomer and it's fantastic that he has finally put some size on. Might be another rookie option worth looking at.

Don't expect Hawthorn to spend pick 33/38 on a KPD.
KPF maybe. Very little depth up front with only Franklin, Roughead (inj) and Hale who is more of a no.2 ruck who can play as a key forward - but not to a super high standard.
With the departure of Lisle and no notable KPF depth coming through I wouldn't be surprised to see Hawthorn target a new KPF if they see one they like. Maybe Murphy is one Hawthorn like. Maybe not. Right now it's just speculation.

Hawthorn just added Jarrad Boumann as a key defender. Being a mature choice I think Hawthorn might give him this year before drafting any more key defenders.

Hartigan is one i've liked for a couple of years now. Could be a handy rookie list option with some potential. Has continued his development well at VFL level and looks like a solid at worst option. Certainly a strong 1v1 option and I like him as a fit for Hawthorn.

Thoolen could add some height down back. Haven't seen allot of him this year but have heard only good reports. Physically a late bloomer and it's fantastic that he has finally put some size on. Might be another rookie option worth looking at.

Don't expect Hawthorn to spend pick 33/38 on a KPD.
KPF maybe. Very little depth up front with only Franklin, Roughead (inj) and Hale who is more of a no.2 ruck who can play as a key forward - but not to a super high standard.
With the departure of Lisle and no notable KPF depth coming through I wouldn't be surprised to see Hawthorn target a new KPF if they see one they like. Maybe Murphy is one Hawthorn like. Maybe not. Right now it's just speculation.[/quote]

Theres no guarentee Gilham will back round 1 also we have shoenmakers who can play at either end if need be and IMO he is a better forward then backman its for insurance i know but you can never be too careful when a KPP is coming back from a major injury. I think we have the midfield covered IMO you are right about the KPF though we recruited gunston a bit skinny for a KPF i know but still very talented :) but to be honest hawks should recruit fev as insurance just incase gunston isnt much chop and roughead isnt 100%

Hi Knightmare. Increasingly likely West Coast is going to target Newman. Do you see him as a small forward or do you see him playing on a flank rather than in a pocket?

I would be shocked if Grigg made it to 45. I would expect the Crows to take him at 41 at the very worst. It will be excellent if it does happen. Might find Port may take Johnny Nyskohus with one of their last 2 picks.

Top work Knightmare. Great job. My opinion is that Brad Hill won't slip to the rookie draft, think Freo might take him before that.

Hi Knightmare. Increasingly likely West Coast is going to target Newman. Do you see him as a small forward or do you see him playing on a flank rather than in a pocket?

Not a long term forward pocket option. More of a mid/forward flanker.

Theres no guarentee Gilham will back round 1 also we have shoenmakers who can play at either end if need be and IMO he is a better forward then backman its for insurance i know but you can never be too careful when a KPP is coming back from a major injury. I think we have the midfield covered IMO you are right about the KPF though we recruited gunston a bit skinny for a KPF i know but still very talented :) but to be honest hawks should recruit fev as insurance just incase gunston isnt much chop and roughead isnt 100%

Gunston is more of a 3rd tall. Wouldn't rely on him as a KPF but should play from next season none the less.

Fev would be a good fit for Hawthorn. Has probably two years of production left in him. Might have a 60 and a 50 goal season left in him which is more than good enough.
The other clubs who should look at Fev are Fremantle and I think they are the club who should recruit him if they want a premiership with Sandilands + Pavlich.
But the talk right now is GWS might give him a chance. Tim Mohr - VFL team mate of his from last year who GWS prelisted gave Fev a big wrap.

I would be shocked if Grigg made it to 45. I would expect the Crows to take him at 41 at the very worst. It will be excellent if it does happen. Might find Port may take Johnny Nyskohus with one of their last 2 picks.

Grigg I'm pretty open to placing anywhere in the draft. Think he has a fairly wide potential draft range.

Jason Nyskohus is a really good name drop.
I've seen a bit of him. Has nice pace. Tackling not bad. Execution by foot needs work and really needs to weight his kicks allot better, but has potential to be very, very good with some of those low stab passes he can make.

Possibly more of a rookie pick because he is more someone who will go on potential if drafted. But I think he is very draftable and worth a shot late/rookie. No doubt.

Top work Knightmare. Great job. My opinion is that Brad Hill won't slip to the rookie draft, think Freo might take him before that.

Think you could be right with Hill.

Hill is a hard one to place.

Hasn't shown THAT much on the field, but testing results obviously have been sensational which puts him well in the mix. Has a wide potential range and have had him all over the place in my drafts.

Do you think any other QLDers are a chance of being drafted. Perhaps Dalton Tucker, Fraser Thurlow or even Tom Fields-what are your thoughts?

Do you think any other QLDers are a chance of being drafted. Perhaps Dalton Tucker, Fraser Thurlow or even Tom Fields-what are your thoughts?
Or Sam Michael or Starcevich? Presumably as best 3 Qld players already listed via GC priority selections, any others best option is probably rookie listing with Lions or GC???

I usually try and stay positive with the QLD'ers, especially if there are kids I rate. But's it's also important to keep it in perspective.

Tucker is extremely one dimensional. Almost purely outside player. Kicking is quite good but doesn't have the pace or line breaking ability you want in an outside player. He also really struggled to break into the weakest Southport senior team in a very very long time. Most potential Qld draftee's should be putting in good senior performances, not battling in the reserves.

Thurlow is big and athletic. He went to state screening which shows there is interest, but..this might sound harsh, he really isn't that coordinated and really struggles to impose himself on the game for someone of his size.

Fields started the year well but struggled with injury towards the back end. Was a bit to like about him, I thought he had a few good games at the champs and in the lead up games against TAC cup sides. One of those awkward height players. Was an overage player from memory, so probably needed to do a bit more.

The better QLD talents are already on AFL lists: Dayne Zorko, Alex Sexton, Jackson Allen and Peter Yagmoor are the picks of the QLD crew from this year.

Sam Michael is one I like as a rookie. Also Mitch Brewer as a rookie is worth a shot.

Dalton Tucker is might be worth looking at. Probably hasn't progressed as hoped over recent seasons.

Thurlow in the ruck has been competitive but not many clubs looking for a 195cm ruckman.

Tom Fields as a slightly older one is an interesting one. Essendon have elected again not to take him through F/S. But has improved over the past season.

Or Sam Michael or Starcevich? Presumably as best 3 Qld players already listed via GC priority selections, any others best option is probably rookie listing with Lions or GC???

Sam Michael is worth a shot with a shot as a rookie.

Starcevich in the few games i've seen probably hasn't impressed me as much as I'd hoped. Won't go in national draft, rookie draft possible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi there love reading your draft trend just wanted to ask you as a pie fan your view on John McCarthy,as you know he is training with us.Alot of people say he was starved of game time at the pies because of there super midfield and just needs a club to give him game time. I know he played well in the vfl.How is he's disposal? and general play positives and negatives etc .Cheers.

Hi there love reading your draft trend just wanted to ask you as a pie fan your view on John McCarthy,as you know he is training with us.Alot of people say he was starved of game time at the pies because of there super midfield and just needs a club to give him game time. I know he played well in the vfl.How is he's disposal? and general play positives and negatives etc .Cheers.

Would be a good get. Could play from round 1.

His story is basically with a loaded midfield - Swan, Pendles, Ball, et el.
Just couldn't get game time through the midfield.
When he played at AFL level generally had to play mostly on a HFF - where he still looked good, but still just not quite inside our best 22, and probably somewhere closer to being our 25th/26th man.

The worry with McCarthy in years gone past has mainly been injuries which have meant that he probably hasn't had the opportunity he probably deserves. 2011 had a pretty injury free season and with it produced some incredible totals through the midfield at VFL level and was consistantly in our best 1-3.

Ball use ok without being great. Wouldn't describe it a standout feature of his game, but none the less generally uses it pretty well and makes the right decisions most of the time - at both AFL + VFL levels so the pace of the next level is no issue.

Also wouldn't describe him as a top flight athlete. But I don't really consider that an issue either. Endurance + work rate is there and isn't slow. Just average.

Is a proven performer who if selected is an immediate type fit into the midfield rotation. Wins the hard ball, accumulates, tackles. Isn't soft and is a type I think Hardwick would like to have in his team.

Good fit for Richmond and late/PSD is a really good option. Could see him fitting into your best 15-20 pretty quickly.

Hey Knight, where do you think Jed Anderson would be picked this year and next if he was in the draft?

I just signed up so I could say thank you for the effort :D

I would not have a clue about these draftees if it wasn't for you guys on here.

Hey Knight, where do you think Jed Anderson would be picked this year and next if he was in the draft?

Will sign with GWS. Would be a 1st/2nd rounder next year otherwise.

I just signed up so I could say thank you for the effort :D

I would not have a clue about these draftees if it wasn't for you guys on here.

Not a problem mate. This is what we are here for.

Knighta, top stuff as always mate. Just wondering what your thoughts (and anyone else's) are on Willie Wheeler from Coburg? Is he a chance to get picked up?

Wheeler is every chance to get selected. Had a fantastic season at VFL level and produced. Look out for him late/rookie.

Would be a good get. Could play from round 1.

His story is basically with a loaded midfield - Swan, Pendles, Ball, et el.
Just couldn't get game time through the midfield.
When he played at AFL level generally had to play mostly on a HFF - where he still looked good, but still just not quite inside our best 22, and probably somewhere closer to being our 25th/26th man.

The worry with McCarthy in years gone past has mainly been injuries which have meant that he probably hasn't had the opportunity he probably deserves. 2011 had a pretty injury free season and with it produced some incredible totals through the midfield at VFL level and was consistantly in our best 1-3.

Ball use ok without being great. Wouldn't describe it a standout feature of his game, but none the less generally uses it pretty well and makes the right decisions most of the time - at both AFL + VFL levels so the pace of the next level is no issue.

Also wouldn't describe him as a top flight athlete. But I don't really consider that an issue either. Endurance + work rate is there and isn't slow. Just average.

Is a proven performer who if selected is an immediate type fit into the midfield rotation. Wins the hard ball, accumulates, tackles. Isn't soft and is a type I think Hardwick would like to have in his team.

Good fit for Richmond and late/PSD is a really good option. Could see him fitting into your best 15-20 pretty quickly.

Thanks for your reply so informative.Sounds good to me for a late pick.From the videos I have watched on him he look's like clearance machine and finds the footy alot and likes to carry it and likes the hard stuff.As you said type of player Hardwick likes.He will be good to supply cotchin,martin ,foley etc with his work.

The tigers have been linked to Todd Elton alot maybe pick 26 what do you think?.

Hey Knighta I see you've slid Wingard down to pick 8. That's not just because Vossy came over for lunch is it?

Would Port really see more in Toby Greene than Chad Wingard?

Thanks for your reply so informative.Sounds good to me for a late pick.From the videos I have watched on him he look's like clearance machine and finds the footy alot and likes to carry it and likes the hard stuff.As you said type of player Hardwick likes.He will be good to supply cotchin,martin ,foley etc with his work.

The tigers have been linked to Todd Elton alot maybe pick 26 what do you think?.

Elton is one worth looking at if available at 26. Probably will go higher, if keen probably pick 15 is necessary, but I suspect Richmond take McKenzie/Kavanagh/Sumner/Adams/Markworth/Ellis/Crozier first.

Elton could be used as a no.2 ruck, or be used as a tall KPP. The talent is certainly there, just needs to put the whole package together which will take time.

Hey Knighta I see you've slid Wingard down to pick 8. That's not just because Vossy came over for lunch is it?

Would Port really see more in Toby Greene than Chad Wingard?

It's an interesting discussion and one I want to start because I'm not as certain that pick 6 is as clear cut as: Wingard is available. Select him. Next selection.

Port Adelaide have the opportunity to be thoughtful about their selection and I get the impression they will be. If Wingard is available at 6 he is a logical fit being the local boy, and he is a better talent than Greene.

My concerns of Wingard are not talent related, he is a better talent than Coniglio/ Tyson/ Mitchell/ Kavanagh but my concerns are more injury related. In a currently struggling Port Adelaide side I'm not sure with the way his body has treated him this year how he will hold up.
Really needs time to build up his durability.

As prospects for Port Adelaide if I was picking it would come down to Wingard/Kavanagh. But Port Adelaide might be considering a few different names and Greene is one I can see on that short list.

Greene is one who appeals because his production will be immediate and he is a solid, low risk building block I think Port Adelaide might consider as an alternative.

It's an interesting discussion and one I want to start because I'm not as certain that pick 6 is as clear cut as: Wingard is available. Select him. Next selection.

Port Adelaide have the opportunity to be thoughtful about their selection and I get the impression they will be. If Wingard is available at 6 he is a logical fit being the local boy, and he is a better talent than Greene.

My concerns of Wingard are not talent related, he is a better talent than Coniglio/ Tyson/ Mitchell/ Kavanagh but my concerns are more injury related. In a currently struggling Port Adelaide side I'm not sure with the way his body has treated him this year how he will hold up.
Really needs time to build up his durability.

As prospects for Port Adelaide if I was picking it would come down to Wingard/Kavanagh. But Port Adelaide might be considering a few different names and Greene is one I can see on that short list.

Greene is one who appeals because his production will be immediate and he is a solid, low risk building block I think Port Adelaide might consider as an alternative.

I think a few heads would explode on the Port Board if Wingard's name was read out before Port's pick in the reverse top 10.

But it's interesting to read an alternative view of what could happen at pick 6 if Wingard was available, rather than it all being about whether Wingard will be there at 6.

I guess Kavanagh would be in the same boat as Wingard tho about durability queries with the added issue of how much his old boy would be a negative influence.

Emma Quayle has Greene in her top 10 talents and thinks Port are interested (along with Devon Smith and Liam Sumner).

You may be right, it might not be as simple a decision as many think.

GWS can not let Tomlinson drift past 7 with Brisbane at 8 and with Greene gone to Port at 6 Brisbane will take tomlinson who they rate with maybe devon smith at 12 they love Longer but will take a ruckman later then 12 you would think and bolger would still be avilable at 30 if they wanted him

Hi Knightmare .We have been linked to Adams of late and media says we a keen and will grab him.I got a feeling tho if Elliot Kavanagh was there we will get him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back