Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2012 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey KM, pick 13 (if we get it for Goddard) for 18 and 20 (if you get 20 for Dawes- which will become 19 and 21, if we get 13), with a swapping of both clubs second round picks (34 and 39 presently)? Interested, if we were?

I'm pretty happy with 18 and 20 if Collingwood end up with that selection.

The top 20 is pretty even and with limited 1st round selections in recent years through our high level of trade activity I'd rather the quantity of early selections.

It's very possible at 18 we have the opportunity to grab the player we might have taken at 13 anyway so I wouldn't recommend a trade of this variety to Collingwood.

Agree with your assessment that the MFC will take Wines at 4. Neeld prefers the bigger bodied players who have an edge with the increased number of contested in close play situations. Also is is ready to go round 1 and Neeld would prefer this to a perhaps more talented player that may take a season or two to blossom at AFL level. With Viney and Wines we may see an improvement in delivery of the ball forward which has been deplorable at the MFC for the last few seasons. With the pure inside mids you have to have the absolute top quality types as i think that with the possibility of 2 subs down the track one position players who are not guns will find it harder to get a game. If the AFL is successful in slowing down the game we may even see a limited return of forward resting mids and rucks. Mids and rucks do go forward but more as a tactical move rather than to take a breather. It is possible that eventually the AFL could go with 2 or 3 subs and one to rotate off the bench. It is hell bent on slowing the game down.

With Moloney gone I think Wines might be that selection early. And along with Viney that certainly sures up the midfield.

I expect both Wines and Viney to be in the mix from round 1. Both are ready to play. Wines had an excellent season in the TAC and was one of the more dominant players throughout.

I see both as more pure midfielders and wouldn't be super keen to see either play large minutes in the forward half but maybe they can both improve as forwards with time.

The AFL just do what they want and it's entirely possible the AFL go to a 2 and 2 or similar bench structure. My feeling is that they want to introduce a maximum per quarter rotation - say 20 rotations per quarter with the existing bench system of 3 and 1.

I'd personally be going for a straight bench of 8, no subs, no rotation cap and look to speed the game. Maybe it reduces soft tissue injuries.
Certainly would make for a better viewing spectacle.

Knights, you have us taking O'Brien, and Brouke, but they don't seem to be that tall, are they capable of playing, the big bullocking forward role that Brown, plays or will we still have to draft one for when Brown retires

Neither are super tall but they are among the better key forwards this year and could be worth looking at.

O'Brien is a strong marking forward but more in a clever way where he uses his body well and has some genuine smarts that allow him to be effective.

Bourke is very athletic but also a powerful marking forward who is more your Brown replacement and could play a similar role without being the same level player.

Few if any have that same presence as Brown did at his best and he is a player who you just can't replace with a like for like replacement. There are few special forwards of the Brown variety who become available and this year it was only Hogan through the minidraft who is anything close.

Interesting to have the Demons taking Wines at 4. Wouldn't it make more sense to recruit a midfielder with real turn of pace and beautiful footskills to compliment the beast inside game of Viney. It just seems that Melbourne's midfield is very one pace, Trengove, Mckenzie, Gysberts, Grimes, even Jones to an extent aren't exactly fleet of foot. Just watching Wines' highlight package, it seems while he is a very good inside player with great endurance and skills, it seems he doesn't really have the ability to burst away from the stoppage at speed like your Cotchin, Ablett, Dangerfield etc. I think that is the sort of player Melbourne should be targetting (easier said than done of course).
Isn't O'Rourke more of a fit for Melbourne? Do you agree that Wines lacks that extra bit of zip?

Ive heard Port Adelaide are potentially looking at Membrey with pick 7 - they think he could be a really good powerful midfielder. They also like his leadership skills along with his already known ability of being able to kick goals as a forward.

Suits the modern game as an onballer potentially a Ryan Okeffe, D.Martin type

Ive heard Port Adelaide are potentially looking at Membrey with pick 7 - they think he could be a really good powerful midfielder. They also like his leadership skills along with his already known ability of being able to kick goals as a forward.

I really like Membrey, and though that would be a slight reach IMO I don't think Port would be losing out there at all.

KM, wondering if I could get your thoughts on Jason Pongracic? How do you see him as a prospect and do you think he would be a good fit for the Tigers?

Knightmare,

Firstly great work, your mock draft is very informative and a big plus for those of us that don't get around to see the kids.

I'm a GWS supporter and fairly confident the club will take Whitfield and Toumpas with our first two picks but really unsure about the 3rd pick.

Initially I felt it would be Grundy as he is the outstanding ruckman in the draft, but now with the re-signing of Giles I am not so sure. We are also developing Phillips and Downie and in reality ruckman are a long investment in time.

Do you think we will take Grundy now that Giles is locked in or do you think we may look at Plowman (key defender where we are deficient), Wines or even O'Rourke (whom i've seen SOS mention as highly regarded).

What are your thoughts?

Hi Knightmare,
I'm interested that in your latest version, you have Carlton taking Clurey.
Do you see him to be the best available at #11?
Because although that would be our drafting strategy, I think we would prefer a mid (or at least a mid/forward).

Cheers

Interesting to have the Demons taking Wines at 4. Wouldn't it make more sense to recruit a midfielder with real turn of pace and beautiful footskills to compliment the beast inside game of Viney. It just seems that Melbourne's midfield is very one pace, Trengove, Mckenzie, Gysberts, Grimes, even Jones to an extent aren't exactly fleet of foot. Just watching Wines' highlight package, it seems while he is a very good inside player with great endurance and skills, it seems he doesn't really have the ability to burst away from the stoppage at speed like your Cotchin, Ablett, Dangerfield etc. I think that is the sort of player Melbourne should be targetting (easier said than done of course).
Isn't O'Rourke more of a fit for Melbourne? Do you agree that Wines lacks that extra bit of zip?

This is the question with Melbourne. Do they go with more genuine ball winners or look to add pace?

Both options are there. Personally if selecting I'd go Macrae who I think would be the ultimate fit alongside Viney and Trengove but I don't see him going quite so high on draft day and the selection is likely out of Wines/O'Rourke or possibly Grundy if he was to slide.

With Neeld at the helm and with Moloney gone the sense seems they are favouring the hard inside midfielder and I feel he is a better option than O'Rourke/Mayes anyway so the pace can be taken in future drafts and be taken to compliment the current midfield stocks. But I agree with your comments that he isn't quick.

Barry adds plenty of pace to the mix so it's not like they will be completely ignoring the need even if passing on a quick type at pick 4.

Also Viney has underrated pace and it isn't much talked about with him but he does have the ability to burst away from the pack despite being that hard inside ball winner.

Plenty of pace + outside types available next year also so Melbourne have the opportunity next season to pace to the team if not fully addressed this season.

Port Adelaide could do worse than Membrey at pick 7 and while he generally isn't rated this high I don't think it is a completely unreasonable draft position even if he more likely goes late 1st round on draft day.

KM, wondering if I could get your thoughts on Jason Pongracic? How do you see him as a prospect and do you think he would be a good fit for the Tigers?

Not a quick mid, but powerful inside ball winner and uses it well by foot. He is very much a potential fit for Richmond in the 2nd round.

Could be a fit in that midfield rotation for Richmond who could do with 2-3 other very good mids who can fit with the current high level group.

Knightmare,

Firstly great work, your mock draft is very informative and a big plus for those of us that don't get around to see the kids.

I'm a GWS supporter and fairly confident the club will take Whitfield and Toumpas with our first two picks but really unsure about the 3rd pick.

Initially I felt it would be Grundy as he is the outstanding ruckman in the draft, but now with the re-signing of Giles I am not so sure. We are also developing Phillips and Downie and in reality ruckman are a long investment in time.

Do you think we will take Grundy now that Giles is locked in or do you think we may look at Plowman (key defender where we are deficient), Wines or even O'Rourke (whom i've seen SOS mention as highly regarded).

What are your thoughts?

Thanks for the kind words Andre.

With Giles signed it does open up some possibilities.

Certainly no rush to add another ruckman and there might be another year where a possibly opens up. Perhaps as a Brogan replacement Seaby could come in a final draft selection type who can play when required if Giles needs to miss for whatever reason at some point.

Personally I'd still go with Grundy at 3. Probably the best ruck prospect to come through since Naitanui and could develop into a top 3 league ruckman if things work out. Very immediate player who can play from round 1 but more importantly fit in the same team with Giles. Both are very good ruckmen but at the same time equally capable in the forward half making them an ideal combination for the long term.

Wines/O'Rourke/Plowman also very possible at 3 and all worth considering. It will be interesting to see whether GWS go for one of these as an alternative. The feeling with GWS is that it has always been mids first and talls later so it's entirely possible and wouldn't come as a shock but we'll see what happens.

I'm pretty happy with 18 and 20 if Collingwood end up with that selection.

The top 20 is pretty even and with limited 1st round selections in recent years through our high level of trade activity I'd rather the quantity of early selections.

It's very possible at 18 we have the opportunity to grab the player we might have taken at 13 anyway so I wouldn't recommend a trade of this variety to Collingwood.
Fair enough mate, thanks for that. :thumbsu:

Do we agree demons pick four either wines or orourke who suits better ? Or will they take someone different

Grundy if available at pick 4 is one Melbourne have expressed interest in if available and there is the chance he is Melbourne's selection.

Assuming Grundy goes top 3 then likely it's down to a selection between Wines and O'Rourke at 4.

O'Rourke is the better fit with his combination of pace and kicking ability. But that said I'm just not sure what I see O'Rourke as. He feels more like an inside receiver and I'm not sure I see a role for just this at the next level. He can play inside/outside but at the same time I don't see him thriving in one or the other.

Wines is the more solid selection and despite Melbourne's midfield being mostly slow would still be my pick of the two with his stronger inside ball winning ability.

But I expect there will be a variety of opinions on the both of these and it will be interesting to see which way Melbourne go if it comes down to a selection between one of these.

Hi Knightmare,
I'm interested that in your latest version, you have Carlton taking Clurey.
Do you see him to be the best available at #11?
Because although that would be our drafting strategy, I think we would prefer a mid (or at least a mid/forward).

Cheers

Clurey I rate very highly and while he probably goes lower on draft day I think he could very easily rival Plowman as the best key defender in this draft and I think he could be a real find mid 1st round.

I agree Carlton likely go with a midfielder early but I'm in the process of shuffling the selections around some so likely next update it will be someone else but with this draft order there wasn't a selection I particularly liked early who I saw going in that early range.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it correct that Nathan Hrovat was measured at 175.9cm at the combine and do you think this will make him a bit more highly sought after, if they think he might still be growing?

I don't have the measurements but it wouldn't surprise me and I had the sense that he was slightly taller than what he was listed as. Looks much the same height as Jack Viney and has for some time but it's also entirely possible he is still growing and that only builds the intrigue.

It can certainly help his draft stocks and might just be enough to help him into the 1st round and if not then should help him secure a solid 2nd round selection which would still be a great result for Nathan who after his consistently dominant season deserves it.

Hey KM, I was wondering where Shane Nelson would go in this year's draft after his impressive showing in the combine? Great times for 20m sprint, repeat sprint and the agility test. I would strongly consider him for a third round pick if he is still available.

Hey KM, I was wondering where Shane Nelson would go in this year's draft after his impressive showing in the combine?
And if I can tack on an extra Nelson question - I have heard references to him putting some clubs off last year due to poor interviewing. Just wondering if you (or anyone else) can confirm if there were perhaps personality issues on top of his health issues that saw him completely overlooked last year?

Hey KM, I was wondering where Shane Nelson would go in this year's draft after his impressive showing in the combine? Great times for 20m sprint, repeat sprint and the agility test. I would strongly consider him for a third round pick if he is still available.

Just read the article.

It was unfortunate that he missed out last year.

He had the production on the board and in the tests he completed even last year performed very well.

Nelson has continued his good form this year and continued his improvement. Had a particularly impressive second half to the season this year playing some consistently good football so I think he is very much worth a shot and one I'd strongly recommend late draft/rookie if he lasts that long.

And if I can tack on an extra Nelson question - I have heard references to him putting some clubs off last year due to poor interviewing. Just wondering if you (or anyone else) can confirm if there were perhaps personality issues on top of his health issues that saw him completely overlooked last year?

I wouldn't think he has any personality issues but it is an understandable question with him having missed out last year for no obvious reason.

With his continuing improving play and coming back this year and continuing to committ to his footy I wouldn't be so concerned about this being an issue.

I wouldn't think he has any personality issues but it is an understandable question with him having missed out last year for no obvious reason.

With his continuing improving play and coming back this year and continuing to committ to his footy I wouldn't be so concerned about this being an issue.
Cheers KM. Strikes me as a being in the Nathan Foley mould, and one I'd be keen on the Tigers looking at to replace him with in a few years... not that they couldn't play alongside each other in the meantime.

Cheers KM. Strikes me as a being in the Nathan Foley mould, and one I'd be keen on the Tigers looking at to replace him with in a few years... not that they couldn't play alongside each other in the meantime.

Nelson is probably more outside.

Has great pace and precise skills. Just probably not as flashy as many others outside types are. More your productive outside player - think Sidebottom with some more pace. Not saying he is that good, but similar type.

Would love it Carlton manage to pickup Nick Vlastuin at pick 11. would be an absolute steal.

Hi knightmare

Really good read, thanks for the time and effort you put in. I been meaning to say that for a while.

I was just over on Chris25's phantom and noticed Kamdyn McIntosh was quite low. Noticed he's just out of your draft. I actually saw him play a couple senior games for peel thunder while I was on holidays a month or so ago. Very impressive for an 18 year old, got a lot of the ball. I thought he would be a lot higher up. Did he not impress in the U18 championships? Liked to hear your thoughts.

Hi knightmare

Really good read, thanks for the time and effort you put in. I been meaning to say that for a while.

I was just over on Chris25's phantom and noticed Kamdyn McIntosh was quite low. Noticed he's just out of your draft. I actually saw him play a couple senior games for peel thunder while I was on holidays a month or so ago. Very impressive for an 18 year old, got a lot of the ball. I thought he would be a lot higher up. Did he not impress in the U18 championships? Liked to hear your thoughts.

McIntosh is one I've had in and out of my draft and I have him in the late/rookie category.

I'm not quite sure where to place McIntosh. Is he a key defender? 3rd tall? He has a mostly sound shutdown game but seems better suited at this stage to taking on more medium forwards at this point.

I admit though I have been encouraged by the increase in production and it's great to see that he is providing some drive from the back half. The issue this year is that with strong depth in defenders this year I don't necessarily see him as a high draft selection and I see a few taller key defenders from VIC I like more in that top half of the draft. But that said I do like him later on and see him as one who certainly has the ability to make the grade and fit in a backline as long as he doesn't need to take the no.1 forward or any Cloke/Hawkins size monster forwards.

The Lions need a KPF was wondering do you think Spencer White would be a good pick for the Lions?

The Lions need a KPF was wondering do you think Spencer White would be a good pick for the Lions?

Certainly an option and a good fit for Brisbane.

Strong mark and as a deep forward a very reasonable option. Had a very strong year in the TAC and could be worth a shot mid draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back