List Mgmt. List Management - 2015 Contract News

Remove this Banner Ad

What about upgrades ? All gone ? Smith, Moller, Vandeleur, Ballard.

Good point!
Moller is a third year rookie. Does it matter what category he is? Can we just re sign him up as a normal rookie? If not, I think he is worth a spot on the main list, with the progress he has shown this year.

Vandeleur and Ballard are both second year rookies. Probably time to cut loose for at least one.

The other rookies are Smith, Hughes and Hurley.
Smith might want to have a go somewhere else, but otherwise they should stay.

I think it will be the other way around. Those who can still get to position get picked, they outrun their opponents and out work for turnovers.

Less interchanges to me makes it harder for the less athletic to keep up with the pace of the game, not bringing the speed of the game down to match the less athletic.

They want an edge. Faster for longer.
But late in the game, who do you want? The guy that can run, or the guy that can kick? Kicks travel quicker than a man can run.

But late in the game, who do you want? The guy that can run, or the guy that can kick? Kicks travel quicker than a man can run.
I want the kicker but I don't think there are both enough super running elite kicks and coaches willing to allow the player to not get to position. So we would get a runner game and as always elite kicking teams will dominate

Good point!
Moller is a third year rookie. Does it matter what category he is? Can we just re sign him up as a normal rookie? If not, I think he is worth a spot on the main list, with the progress he has shown this year.

Vandeleur and Ballard are both second year rookies. Probably time to cut loose for at least one.

The other rookies are Smith, Hughes and Hurley.
Smith might want to have a go somewhere else, but otherwise they should stay.

I feel a little for Ballard, not convinced that at a few other clubs he would be playing afl, Freo midfieid so strong, I'm hoping he stays but could see other clubs pick him up, I think the same goes for Smith, a handy lock down defender who did well in a few preseason games. Moller is a tricky one, playing mostly forwards this year, looks to me could be groomed to forward/ ruc type, has excellent leap and beautiful hands with tap work. If I'm Freo probably try and keep as blokes that are 6ft 10 quick and mobile don't grow on trees. Look at clubs like bombers, blues, the three just mentioned would strengthen their list straight away.
Hurley I think shows a fair bit already and don't think he would have come to Australia for one year, so reckon he still rookie next year. Vandeleur is a local so think if talent pool is poor this year should get a third year rookie spot.

For the rookie list
Moller cannot stay on the rookie list any longer I don't think (3 years). I would expect him to be upgraded this year.
Ballard 2 years as a rookie. Perhaps we will extend by 1 year but I would think he may get an upgrade
Vandeleur is 2yrs rookie. I am not sure he has showed as much as Ballard and may not get an extension. However he may benefit from a shallow draft and Freo moving main list players on. 1 year extension or gone I would think
The rest still have time on their Rookie contracts (only 1 year) and all need to prove something to justify an upgrade. I would them all to stay on the rookie list.

For the main list
Pavlich - Resign 1yr, think the fire is still there
McPharlin - Resign 1yr, stays if Pav does.
Duffield - likely retire.
Morabito - retire or rookie listed. I agree with Clems Knee :(
Sylvia - gone
Duffy - Resign, 1 or 2yr contact
Crowley - Hard to say, I would expect RTB to lean towards 1yr contract
Sheridan - Resign, 3yr contact I would think
Clarke - I would expect this to be the most likely trade for us. If a resign then 3yrs
Crozier - Resign I hope, 3yr contact
Taberner - Resign, 3yr contact I would think
Apeness - Resign, 1yr contract
Grey - Resign, 1 or 2yr contact
A.Pearce - Resign, 3yr contact I would think

I would expect us to draft a minimum of 2, I think that we will upgrade 2 and then I hope we will trade for a Tall. I expect us to move 5 from the main list

I'm one short, but I suspect there may be a trade for another player with a longer contract. In the vein similar to Broughton, perhaps a Suban, C Pearce or deBoer. I have nothing supporting this and it is all moot if Crowley, Pav or McPharlin go.

How so? If anything we've been better without him (early in the season when we were in form) as we were more attacking.
If Pav goes we will struggle providing we get no key fwd in trade or free agency, so Crowley might be valuable as a tagger again. Back to a more shut down game style
By breaching AFL rules resulting in not being available for selection. We are bulging at the seams with midfield talent and have abundant options for negators in de Boer, Suban, C Pearce. We also have players such as Crozier, Weller, Blakely and Grey deserving of a chance. Keeping Crowley in sends an extremely poor message, especially as you point out we have done well despite his self created unavailability.

For the rookie list
Moller cannot stay on the rookie list any longer I don't think (3 years). I would expect him to be upgraded this year.
Ballard 2 years as a rookie. Perhaps we will extend by 1 year but I would think he may get an upgrade
Vandeleur is 2yrs rookie. I am not sure he has showed as much as Ballard and may not get an extension. However he may benefit from a shallow draft and Freo moving main list players on. 1 year extension or gone I would think
The rest still have time on their Rookie contracts (only 1 year) and all need to prove something to justify an upgrade. I would them all to stay on the rookie list.

For the main list
Sylvia - gone
Clarke - I would expect this to be the most likely trade for us. If a resign then 3yrs

I would expect us to draft a minimum of 2, I think that we will upgrade 2 and then I hope we will trade for a Tall. I expect us to move 5 from the main list

I'm one short, but I suspect there may be a trade for another player with a longer contract. In the vein similar to Broughton, perhaps a Suban, C Pearce or deBoer. I have nothing supporting this and it is all moot if Crowley, Pav or McPharlin go.

I agree with most of this except.

Ballard: Might as well leave him on the rookie list, he isnt close to getting a game unless there is a major injury crisis which would see him elevated anyway.

Pavlich/McPharlin: Can't see them going around again. Pav maybe, if we secure another #1 forward target, allowing Pav to play second fiddle.

Pearce: Could he get more than 3 years?

Vandeleur: I don't know or hear much about him, will he make the cut? Or will Freo opt to take a look at another rookie.

For the rookie list

For the main list
Sylvia - gone

Your thoughts on Smith, probably agree with rest.

For the rookie list

For the main list
Sylvia - gone

My expectation is that all of Sylvia, Duffield, Crowley, MacPharlin and Morabito will all be gone at years' end. That leave us five spots to fill - say three draftees plus a couple of upgrades.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your thoughts on Smith, probably agree with rest.
He's been injured so much it's hard to get a feel for where he really is. I think that the coaches would want him to string some games together (like half a season) without interruption before a firm decision is made. He was rookied at the start of the year so I would expect nothing to change before the 2yr term is up.

My expectation is that all of Sylvia, Duffield, Crowley, MacPharlin and Morabito will all be gone at years' end. That leave us five spots to fill - say three draftees plus a couple of upgrades.
You could be right and they are all on the cusp but if the draft is as shallow as others have said I would expect less desire to cut when trade currency is needed to improve the list. I would expect someone to try to get McPharlin to go again. The rest are more dubious but I think that the role Crowley plays may still be there if he wants it.

Give A.Pearce 5 years Quick. Others are noticing his talent already.
I agree with most of this except.

Ballard: Might as well leave him on the rookie list, he isnt close to getting a game unless there is a major injury crisis which would see him elevated anyway.

Pavlich/McPharlin: Can't see them going around again. Pav maybe, if we secure another #1 forward target, allowing Pav to play second fiddle.

Pearce: Could he get more than 3 years?

Vandeleur: I don't know or hear much about him, will he make the cut? Or will Freo opt to take a look at another rookie.
I would think not. We don't typically give long contracts to anyone. Only Hill has signed a contract for more than 3yrs in the last few years.

This is all fact?
No this these are my observations from watching Peel and Freo games , talking to players Television reports Fox Footy and newspaper reports the same as any other avid fan of Fremantle .
Mora has not played for 2 seasons and is still on the LTI list with no guarantee of ever playing again .
Reports that Pav has been talking to media outlets .
Mcpharlin on different training regime to get him through this season. He was going to retire at the end of last season but Webber revised his schedule to keep him playing but writing is on the wall .
Sandi was reportedly asking for a 3 year deal.
Duffield is good value as backup and he is always instructing the young guys what they need to do on the ground during Peel games .So I am assuming on the coaching front.
I was talking to Duffy last week at the Peel game and he was disappointed that he was injured which restricted his chance of a call up to the league team as a result.
Clarke is a no brainer . He is quality and he is being challenged by RTB to step up his input. Once he does that he will be back in the league team.
Crozier got 2 goals against Richmond but needs to take his game to a higher level in general play. The Club will be looking at him closely to see how he goes with the injury to Ballas he has that opportunity .My gut feeling is he will once he feels he is part of the team .
Taberner , Sheridan and Grey are doing everything right and deserve to stay on our list.
Alex has already shown that he can play and the Club will lock him in with a very good contract .
Hannath concerns me due to his lack of improvement since joining the Club . He is not setting the world on fire at Peel .Yes he is trying BUT he is regularly being beaten in ruck contests .
Moller is improving both in the ruck and in the forward line .
Smith is doing O/K but constantly loosing contact with his opponent and turns the ball over .Not just my observation but also a Peel assistant coaches opinion as well.

No this these are my observations from watching Peel and Freo games , talking to players Television reports Fox Footy and newspaper reports the same as any other avid fan of Fremantle .
Mora has not played for 2 seasons and is still on the LTI list with no guarantee of ever playing again .
Mcpharlin on different training regime to get him through this season. He was going to retire at the end of last season but Webber revised his schedule to keep him playing but writing is on the wall .
Duffield is good value as backup and he is always instructing the young guys what they need to do on the ground during Peel games .So I am assuming on the coaching front.
I was talking to Duffy last week at the Peel game and he was disappointed that he was injured which restricted his chance of a call up to the league team as a result.
Clarke is a no brainer . He is quality and he is being challenged by RTB to step up his input. Once he does that he will be back in the league team.
Crozier got 2 goals against Richmond but needs to take his game to a higher level in general play. The Club will be looking at him closely to see how he goes with the injury to Ballas he has that opportunity .My gut feeling is he will once he feels he is part of the team .
Taberner , Sheridan and Grey are doing everything right and deserve to stay on our list.
Alex has already shown that he can play and the Club will lock him in with a very good contract .
Hannath concerns me due to his lack of improvement since joining the Club . He is not setting the world on fire at Peel .Yes he is trying BUT he is regularly being beaten in ruck contests .
Smith is doing O/K but constantly loosing contact with his opponent and turns the ball over .Not just my observation but also a Peel assistant coaches opinion as well.

PS - Thanks for the incite. Above and beyond.

Would you consider Shoenmaker or a Mitch Brown (Assume he is the deslisted one playing VFL) and upgrade on Hannath and Smith should they be available fairly cheaply?

This. Can only see Duffield a) only signing for another year or b) delisted/retiring.
Sheridan/Suttcliffe/Ibbotson and even Hill are being pushed to play his role the last few weeks. Weird not seeing Duffield taking the kick-ins anymore.
McPharlin will stay out of those players listed. Crowley is an interesting one.

Definitely think we'll upgrade Moller.

He's been showing some significant signs of development in the WAFL. Also, if this draft is as weak as reported, I think Bond would see far more value in persevering with a kid on the right trajectory rather than picking up a lowly rated 18 year old from a lowly rated crop.

Good summary couldhavebeen. I am really starting to worry about Hannath, he looked particularly poor against Swannies last week and does not look to be improving.

Had high hopes for him, but worried now.

For the rookie list

For the main list
Sylvia - gone

Can we delist hannath if moeller upgrade.

Good summary couldhavebeen. I am really starting to worry about Hannath, he looked particularly poor against Swannies last week and does not look to be improving.

Had high hopes for him, but worried now.

Can we delist hannath if moeller upgrade.

Don't think big Jack will get delisted, still a year to go on contract and guys his size don't grow on trees and looks like RTB has time for him. IMO Jack is gentle sort of person, a lot of naturally big guys are , so with that and his lack mobility and the way ruck game is changing to faster more mobile type player it will be harder to succeed. I'd like to see Moller in the ruck more at peel and Jack at full forward, he is a great size for the modern forward but again it's a mobility thing. He's still only 24.

Don't think big Jack will get delisted, still a year to go on contract and guys his size don't grow on trees and looks like RTB has time for him. IMO Jack is gentle sort of person, a lot of naturally big guys are , so with that and his lack mobility and the way ruck game is changing to faster more mobile type player it will be harder to succeed. I'd like to see Moller in the ruck more at peel and Jack at full forward, he is a great size for the modern forward but again it's a mobility thing. He's still only 24.
After watching him played last week really see nothing special about him, even swan Carey look slim still better than him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back