Welcome Welcome Josh Draper!! - 2022 Cat B Rookie List

Remove this Banner Ad

As one of those spruiking him last year, I’m not sure he’ll ever be elite 1v1. Think his best will always be a general defender type that can provide some rebound - upgraded Hughes. Doesn’t quite have the campaigner in him. That’s not to take away from him, just that we’ll be better of if he plays as a third tall type.

Stoked he got through the first game and on to bigger and better things.

Closing speed is the attribute he has, you don't have to be elite 1 v 1 in terms of body work if you are smart and have height, reach and speed. Dustin Fletcher played 400 games playing like Draper has the potential to play

How do we all think Josh went today? imo he didn't disgrace himself and deserves to retain his spot. Hopefully he was able to flush all that gatorade out of his eyes.

What I said in the other thread:

I thought defensively he was adequate; his mobility was good and he was in the right places compared to whomever he was on and got his hand to a few in coming jobs. Did he run with a player closely? Hard to tell - It felt he was more playing team defence and chopping out where required.

In terms of counter-offensive, he was pretty conservative - as others noted, he started by dishing off quick short 5m handballs as soon as he got the ball which in itself was fine except that they were generally not a great rebounding option. As mentioned by Rhufus his first kick in earnest unfortunately went to the opposition and ended up being a goal.

I think overall it was a solid debut.

I think he can be damaging by foot once he gets a bit more confidence under his belt; we didn't get to see that today. I also think he has the capacity to break the lines with his run and evasiveness, and his size should also help in breaking tackles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at his shoulders he will fill out a bit, though as posted, probably won’t be a lock down defender. Definite Michael Johnson vibes.

Last edited:
Michael Johnson will do me. This kid is young and seriously only half physically developed. He will be miles better each year for at least 3 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back