Welcome Welcome Josh Draper!! - 2022 Cat B Rookie List

Remove this Banner Ad

Camera angles/posture/etc can be deceiving, so make what you will out of the photo below. We have them listed from L to R as 185cm, 197cm, 196cm, 206cm, 204cm, 187cm, 181cm. They all seem about consistent with these numbers. Draper looks a fair bit taller than Davies at the shoulder and eye level, but by the top of their head it is closer.

2022-Draft-Class-Conrad-Williams-Josh-Draper-Hugh-Davies-Max-Knobel-Liam-Reidy-Tom-Emmett-Corey-Wagner-5-December-2268-.jpg
Thing I love about this photo is the shortest guy there is still about 6ft. This draft/trade period we needed a bit more height, some decent forward depth, some maturity and leadership, another ruck option or two, and hopefully another midfield bull to help back up our younger mids... and bugger me if we didn't tick every one of those boxes.

We bloody nailed the draft this year yet AGAIN! 😎

Thing I love about this photo is the shortest guy there is still about 6ft. This draft/trade period we needed a bit more height, some decent forward depth, some maturity and leadership, another ruck option or two, and hopefully another midfield bull to help back up our younger mids... and bugger me if we didn't tick every one of those boxes.

We bloody nailed the draft this year yet AGAIN! 😎
I think Draper has grown a bit. I read some draft write-ups from earlier in the year which had him at 195cm. Every chance he is pushing towards 198cm. Also big Knobel has grown a stack and is pushing towards 207cm and still growing apparently.

Two year deal for the kid.

Best of luck to the kid
Baptism of fire
We really need him particularly against Carlton in a few weeks

Hope he stands up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I'm looking forward to this. Can see him playing well and he's deceptively tall.
I think he’s deceptively tall because he moves so well you don’t think a 197cm guy could move like that. Looking forward to seeing what he’s got this week, as long as he keeps his composure after a turnover (there will be at least one as he adjusts to the speed of the game) he’ll be an asset.

How do we all think Josh went today? imo he didn't disgrace himself and deserves to retain his spot. Hopefully he was able to flush all that gatorade out of his eyes.
He looked like he belongs on this level as a footballer, and was nowhere near as nervy as you'd expect from someone with pretty limited senior football experience even at WAFL level. People said early last season that he just looks like a footballer when he plays - I saw what that meant today.

Conversely, my biggest worry, his 1 on 1 defence against the best tall fwds, wasn't really tested today. CCJ is a bum. His next few opponents won't be (Fogarty could've fooled me into thinking he was with that kick from the goalsquare though). On the plus side, the defenders seem to be putting out fires for each other, so he'll get help when he's in a spot of bother.

He looked like he belongs on this level as a footballer, and was nowhere near as nervy as you'd expect from someone with pretty limited senior football experience even at WAFL level. People said early last season that he just looks like a footballer when he plays - I saw what that meant today.

Conversely, my biggest worry, his 1 on 1 defence against the best tall fwds, wasn't really tested today. CCJ is a bum. His next few opponents won't be (Fogarty could've fooled me into thinking he was with that kick from the goalsquare though). On the plus side, the defenders seem to be putting out fires for each other, so he'll get help when he's in a spot of bother.
As one of those spruiking him last year, I’m not sure he’ll ever be elite 1v1. Think his best will always be a general defender type that can provide some rebound - upgraded Hughes. Doesn’t quite have the campaigner in him. That’s not to take away from him, just that we’ll be better of if he plays as a third tall type.

Stoked he got through the first game and on to bigger and better things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back