Welcome Welcome Josh Draper!! - 2022 Cat B Rookie List

Remove this Banner Ad

What height is Draper? I swear i have seen all different heights for him. One site said 194cm. We say 197cm and then wafl site says 195cm 😅

What height is Draper? I swear i have seen all different heights for him. One site said 194cm. We say 197cm and then wafl site says 195cm 😅

(I thought he was 196cm but) it is probably 194cm when he plays in the midfield and 197 when he is rucking or going for a mark in the forward line....

Missed a heap of footy with an injury this year, at the wrong or right time.
No under 18 Champs, so under the radar.
His state combine results were very good.
Good to know, thanks. He looks pretty special to me, fingers crossed for the lad.

The really interesting questions are what is his AFL role, does he play forward or back up in the WAFL, and/or does he play on a flank or as a KP? How does the club attempt to develop this clearly talented multi-positional player into something that stacks up at AFL level?
  • If he starts as a CHB, he is likely going to be competing with Davies and Benning for the second key defender spot in the WAFL, which would probably mean he would be being relegated to the reserves quite a bit, because Davies is likely to be better at pure defence, whereas Benning has a year on him - will he be able to compete?
  • If he starts as a CHF, then he would be competing with Benning and/or Reidy or Knobel. He might be able to get ahead of Benning due to his athleticism, but Peel might want more experience with Reidy.
  • He could play as a forward / ruck, but then we have both Benning and Kuek and one of Reidy or Knobel, so I doubt he will get a run in the ruck any time soon?
  • Like Morabito when he came back from injury, he could play as a HBF...but ultimately is that a good position for his development, especially when we are already laden with talented HBFs?
  • On the flipside, if he is playing off the HFF, he will now be competing with medium forwards such as Sturt, Banfield and now Emmett. Obviously he has height and maybe even endurance on his side against each, but also would likely be at a disadvantage on the ground level....

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The really interesting questions are what is his AFL role, does he play forward or back up in the WAFL, and/or does he play on a flank or as a KP? How does the club attempt to develop this clearly talented multi-positional player into something that stacks up at AFL level?
  • If he starts as a CHB, he is likely going to be competing with Davies and Benning for the second key defender spot in the WAFL, which would probably mean he would be being relegated to the reserves quite a bit, because Davies is likely to be better at pure defence, whereas Benning has a year on him - will he be able to compete?
  • If he starts as a CHF, then he would be competing with Benning and/or Kraidy or Knobel. He might be able to get ahead of Benning due to his athleticism, but Peel might want more experience with Kraidy.
  • He could play as a forward / ruck, but then we have both Benning and Kuek and one of Kraidy or Knobel, so I doubt he will get a run in the ruck any time soon?
  • Like Morabito when he came back from injury, he could play as a HBF...but ultimately is that a good position for his development, especially when we are already laden with talented HBFs?
  • On the flipside, if he is playing off the HFF, he will now be competing with medium forwards such as Sturt, Banfield and now Emmett. Obviously he has height and maybe even endurance on his side against each, but also would likely be at a disadvantage on the ground level....

Add in to that Peel may also have players for these roles and we can only play so many Freo players in the league. He'd start in the ressies as a defender imo.

• If he starts as a CHF, then he would be competing with Benning and/or Kraidy or Knobel. He might be able to get ahead of Benning due to his athleticism, but Peel might want more experience with Kraidy.
  • He could play as a forward / ruck, but then we have both Benning and Kuek and one of Kraidy or Knobel, so I doubt he will get a run in the ruck any time soon?
Why is Reidy now Kraidy?

Add in to that Peel may also have players for these roles and we can only play so many Freo players in the league. He'd start in the ressies as a defender imo.

I’ve not seen much of him other than the highlights vid, but he reminds me of Richo playing on the wing for Richmond.

Now that would be interesting!

Not sure if he has the tank or not..

Really does look like he could be anything. So much class and poise for his age and size.
I'm finding our rookie picks more exciting than the main draft!

Agree, both look pretty exciting. Theyre not rough, speccy picks. Look pretty legitmate picks. Plenty to work with here. Nice goal sense, kicking looks natural and direct. Nice long arms too. Got abit of "Get out of my friggin way" with the opposition, wait till he puts some meat on his bones.

Did he just out mark out 1st draft pick in his highlights package?

You mean this one

a744d4bcedea8dcffcd9a68d63e8ae11.jpg

Camera angles/posture/etc can be deceiving, so make what you will out of the photo below. We have them listed from L to R as 185cm, 197cm, 196cm, 206cm, 204cm, 187cm, 181cm. They all seem about consistent with these numbers. Draper looks a fair bit taller than Davies at the shoulder and eye level, but by the top of their head it is closer.

2022-Draft-Class-Conrad-Williams-Josh-Draper-Hugh-Davies-Max-Knobel-Liam-Reidy-Tom-Emmett-Corey-Wagner-5-December-2268-.jpg

Camera angles/posture/etc can be deceiving, so make what you will out of the photo below. We have them listed from L to R as 185cm, 197cm, 196cm, 206cm, 204cm, 187cm, 181cm. They all seem about consistent with these numbers. Draper looks a fair bit taller than Davies at the shoulder and eye level, but by the top of their head it is closer.

2022-Draft-Class-Conrad-Williams-Josh-Draper-Hugh-Davies-Max-Knobel-Liam-Reidy-Tom-Emmett-Corey-Wagner-5-December-2268-.jpg

Looks well wider too.
Wouldn’t be surprised if he turns out to be the better of the two, out of he and Davies. Actually kind of expect

Remove this Banner Ad

Back