List Mgmt. List Management - 2015 Contract News

Remove this Banner Ad

Johnno turns 31 in October, and he's just had back surgery. Backs are notoriously dodgy, even when they are seemingly 'fixed'. I can't see any club taking a 4 year punt on a 31 year old with a potentially dodgy back who will turn 35 at the end of the contract...

Good luck to him if he can get it, and you certainly wouldn't begrudge him if he can.

Johnno turns 31 in October, and he's just had back surgery. Backs are notoriously dodgy, even when they are seemingly 'fixed'. I can't see any club taking a 4 year punt on a 31 year old with a potentially dodgy back who will turn 35 at the end of the contract...

Good luck to him if he can get it, and you certainly wouldn't begrudge him if he can.

As if a club will offer him a 4 year contract on big bucks being a 31 year old who has had a back op.

Clubs might be interested but Freo can 9 fer him good money anyway. I doubt he would be short of a dollar.

Stevie J got a similar offer last FA period from GWS and he's 31. So Johno could be off to GWS then..

I think MJ would be content with another 2 years with us Ala. Zac D, IMO.

I would expect nothing less than a 1st rd compensation pick for such a highly regarded player.

I think that would be fair enough considering Melbourne received first round pick 3 for Frawley. I put MJ as important to Freo as Frawley was to Melbourne.

Bring it on GWS and Co can have a great player with a limited time frame for a first round pick. Freo will have two consecutive picks.
1st best available
2nd needs based

As one of Zac's BF buddies for 2015 I am very happy he is going to be playing until the end of 2017.

I hope he can become a premiership player by that point and can also win over his knockers by playing good football.

To think that Zac can win over his knockers by playing good football is as delusional as thinking that Jews can win over Nazis by doing good deeds. Dawson's been playing good football for years.

Isn't he an unrestricted FA? Wouldn't we be entitled to diddly squat for him according to 'the rules'?

As an unrestricted free agent we couldn't prevent him from leaving, however, we are very definitely entitled to a compensation pick.

With restricted free agents a club can block their move by matching the offer presented by the new club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No club would offer him more than 3 and that's being generous.

I highly doubt he'd leave anyway. He's a local boy, a Freo fan as a kid and settled.

If he did leave I doubt we would get anything better than a band 2 compo pick given his age, from memory Carlton got zip for Waite who is similar age - granted not an AA but still think a reasonable comparison.

If he did leave it'd have to be a crazy offer.

I highly doubt he'd leave anyway. He's a local boy, a Freo fan as a kid and settled.

If he did leave I doubt we would get anything better than a band 2 compo pick given his age, from memory Carlton got zip for Waite who is similar age - granted not an AA but still think a reasonable comparison.

Would've thought Malceski was a better comparison tbh. Would be a similar sized contract and one of his clubs best players. Not a fringe best 22 player like Waite. Didn't Sydney get a second rounder for him? Can't remember tbh.

I'm pretty sure the compo pick is just based on the contract. So if he's offered 400k a year elsewhere we'd get a 2nd round pick. 600k we'd get a first round pick, etc.

I'm pretty sure the compo pick is just based on the contract. So if he's offered 400k a year elsewhere we'd get a 2nd round pick. 600k we'd get a first round pick, etc.

http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/free-agency

COMPENSATION

A club that has a net loss of players transferring to/from other clubs as free agents in one transfer period is entitled to compensation via National Draft picks allocated by the AFL.

The compensation formula produces a points rating for players based on:

1. The new contract of the free agent;
2. The age of the free agent.

Draft picks are allocated to clubs based on the net total points for free agents lost and gained during the transfer period.

To think that Zac can win over his knockers by playing good football is as delusional as thinking that Jews can win over Nazis by doing good deeds. Dawson's been playing good football for years.

Some Freo people can't see that unfortunately. A Freo member mate of mine hates him with a passion for some reason and hence my choice to have him as my BF Buddy for 2015. Zac needs a bit of love at times.:hearts::hearts:

I've heard from a very reliable source just recently that Michael Johnson will be willing to be traded as a free agent if he can land a 4 year deal with another club. Apparently financial security for his family is his #1 priority.
Yeah that was brought up a month or so back...definitely a very real chance and from reliable source also. Four years no chance though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back