List Mgmt. List planning 2015 and onwards

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam Gray (24 next season) has no upside and based on today that should be his last AFL game, Will likely be delisted.
I think we can at the least put to rest the notion that Sam Gray is a small forward. FFS if we insist on Brett Eberting him then play him as a god damn small forward in the Magpies (we can do that since it's now the reserves side). And don't bring him in, in that role unless he is tearing it up in the SANFL as a small forward.

Or give him a god damn game in the guts at AFL level - or at least a couple of quarters. Lets have some inkling as to whether he has something to work with there, or his size just gets him brushed aside with ease. Either way, lets not 'reward his good form' in one role by playing him in another again! It doesn't reward him or help the team.

If the rumours are true which I doubt they are, at his age Jay needs to just worry about getting a kick before putting pressure on the club for a longer term deal.

It's no coincidence we've dropped right off now that he's virtually gone goalless the last few weeks, short 50 aside he couldn't even kick a goal from 15m out last night.

If we're seriously hard up for salary cap space given how poor our players are performing the new list manager might want to start paying a few of our underperforming stars less because it's kinda embarrassing that a club like Hawthorn probably has more space to work with.

So far, season suggests tough calls need to made at the end of season. On current form, our season could be over by Rd 14/15.

The facts are we are in desperate need for 2 KPF. Schulz is on his last legs, Westoff is also getting on and is not a permanent KPF, Ryder is a better Ruck then Fwd.

IMO we need to delist/trade Butcher (4th or 5th rounder at best), persist with M Shaw. Hartlett offered up for trade for a possible early draft pick.

Are there any good KPF's in the draft this year? At this rate we'll end up with a pick that might snag one.

I would still shuffle the deck chairs to make room for Hawkins but doubt he'd leave Geelong for a club that's gone backwards, tbh i'd settle for Carlisle or Day we just lack actual height up forward now the Hoff's become a chop off defender, Lobbe is too slow & is a worse mark than Nic-Nat.

Are there any good KPF's in the draft this year? At this rate we'll end up with a pick that might snag one.
Not unless we do finish bottom 4 unless it's a super draft. Even then the top quality KPF's aren't going to be ready in 2016 for serious game time. It's the current one's on our list, or a trade somehow wrangled. And a trade for a decent KPF starts at a top 5 AND a player like Hartlett (short of another club being sprung by ASADA).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not unless we do finish bottom 4 unless it's a super draft. Even then the top quality KPF's aren't going to be ready in 2016 for serious game time. It's the current one's on our list, or a trade somehow wrangled. And a trade for a decent KPF starts at a top 5 AND a player like Hartlett (short of another club being sprung by ASADA).
Best mid with an early pick and buy a key position forward.

*We spend 5 years and a million dollars maybe developing a key forward doesn't make sense just pay the million up front to one we know can play. We could spend a couple of million developing duds. Sit down and work out what we have spent on dud forwards. Tom Hawkins is cheap.

Last edited:
Best mid with an early pick and buy a key position forward.

*We spend 5 years and a million dollars maybe developing a key forward doesn't make sense just pay the million up front to one we know can play. We could spend a couple of million developing duds. Sit down and work out what we have spent on dud forwards. Tom Hawkins is cheap.
we should do what Sydney did with Buddy, offer him a deal he cant refuse

When people say , s**t just throw obscene money at a tall forward , you act like no one has ever thought of that before.

As if no one has ever thought of trading in a key forward. Yeah right.

I would be as happy as the next bloke if we ever did pull it off , and yes we should be into e ear of these blokes , but the truth is these guys never move clubs. In recent history you have buddy who moved for $10 mil cola money which is unheard of , and Kennedy , but Kennedy was unproven then and it was for the best player in the comp.

Fb port wants a gun forward we are gonna have to face the fact we are going to have to draft a whole bunch of prospects , put time I to em , and hope one turns out.

When people say , s**t just throw obscene money at a tall forward , you act like no one has ever thought of that before.

As if no one has ever thought of trading in a key forward. Yeah right.

I would be as happy as the next bloke if we ever did pull it off , and yes we should be into e ear of these blokes , but the truth is these guys never move clubs. In recent history you have buddy who moved for $10 mil cola money which is unheard of , and Kennedy , but Kennedy was unproven then and it was for the best player in the comp.

Fb port wants a gun forward we are gonna have to face the fact we are going to have to draft a whole bunch of prospects , put time I to em , and hope one turns out.

As I said in the Butcher thread, I think our supporters have been spoiled by the fact that of our two gun KPFs, one was a natural champion KPF who we took with a zone selection, who looked $1,000,000 from day one. The other we took as a 25 year old after his previous club failed to adequately back him in and drastically, drastically underestimated him.

It's not usually that easy. Most of the time you just have to get gametime into these guys and do everything you can to develop them.

Dougal Howard is another one. This kid is going to be a gun - bookmark it.
Really excited to see him in action the second half of the year.... Hopefully he can find some form straight away and have a big impact for the maggies!

Salary cap strain talk is usually wishful thinking by crow puppets in the media. I even had a halfwit crows supporter assure me yesterday we were going to lose Schulz because our salary cap is bursting. It's probably partly fuelled by the talk of us going over the limit to sign Paddy Ryder, even though that has never been confirmed.

The latest player payment increases in the current agreement were believed to be above the mandated 3 percent.

Players win in cap new deal
The increase is in keeping with one of the competitive balance principles club bosses agreed to at Mt Lofty, Adelaide in March that pushed for "an aspiration to pay the players more, if affordable for the industry".
It effectively means clubs paying 100 per cent of the total player payments in 2015 will allocate at least $370,000 extra to player spend than they did in 2014.
The negotiations have led to players receiving more than the 3 per cent ($290,000 per club) increase mandated in the collective bargaining agreement that started in 2012.
Players win in cap new deal

The AFL confirmed the cap will rise by another $150,000 next year.

The simple fact is every club has to re-sign around one third of its list every year. Clubs budget for these changes. Players retire (see Kane Cornes who would have been on substantial coin), players do get delisted and traded, and the AFL CBA allows the salary cap to increase every year. A new CBA is due at the end of next year and will include even greater player payment increases reflecting the money generated by television deals with a new broadcast agreement to start to be negotiated in 2017.

Mind you the same crowie told me that Rory Sloane signed a 5 year deal in January and told the club not to announce it so clubs would continue to approach him and take pressure off Patty D. Yeah because player managers don't talk or have other clients they have to look out for. Simpleton.

I'd heard we were legally over the cap due to being under for so long. But, Butcher & Cornes will go, both who would be on reasonable contracts and it wouldnt surprise if we trade someone like Moore or O'Shea or Broadbent, all who would be on reasonable contracts as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back