Matchday 2

Remove this Banner Ad

We gotta remember though that even with Medicogate and the rough start. He's Mou. He's IMO the best manager in the world. Chelsea will be fine. He's under no pressure for his job and you will smash WBA id imagine next week. Chelsea will be there or thereabout come the end of the season.

Rough start though. Geez I love this game and the EPL!

Yeah, I don't think he's under any pressure for his job this season(unless we miss or look to be missing top 4). He's just prone to imploding, so that's always the worry.

I'm actually fine if we have a bit of a title hangover this season, as most supporters would be.

Another week, another 3 points. Clean sheet and glad to see Benteke score on his Anfield debut - millimeters away from scoring a 2nd as well, he's looking dangerous as is Clyne down the right. Always like to see new signings settling in quickly.

Not at our best yet but hopefully a bit of tactical tinkering will sort that out without too much fuss. As I said, switching to a 4-3-3 will give us a lot more control & fluidity on the ball, and I'd hope/expect to see us make that change this week on the training pitch in time for the first big test of the season against Arsenal next week. Looking forward to it.

As a neutral observer I feel Rodgers is getting the line up all wrong.

The way he's setting up straight away means it's going to be difficult for them to create chances.

To only have 2 shots on target against BOU @ home is pretty poor.

Henderson must've had a knock ?

Rodgers always used to set up Swansea in a way with goals in mind and it's odd that he's gone to a "big" club and now he's setting up a lot more conservatively.

Liverpool is going to need Coutinho, Firminio, Benteke to score a lot of goals this season because I can't see Caan/Milner/Henderson scoring plenty of goals this season. Lallana although still handy, not really looking like scoring in the way he looked at Soton.

Ings should put in some if he gets some time on the pitch.

Rodgers coming out with the "I haven't seen the replay" shtick...

Why the * do managers' continue this bald faced lie? They have whole departments whose single ******* job is to show the Coaching staff in game footage so they can see if players are following instruction and/or opposition teams are diverging from expected instruction.

Why lie?

Rodgers always used to set up Swansea in a way with goals in mind and it's odd that he's gone to a "big" club and now he's setting up a lot more conservatively.

I disagree with this. A midfield three of Milner, Henderson and Coutinho (today it was Lallana centrally instead) isn't conservative. We're just lacking fluency at the moment.

The only time I've seen us be conservative under Rodgers (aside from the odd game) is last season when we were playing terribly he tried setting us up to be a lot more solid which ultimately didn't work just before we switched to 3 at the back.

I don't think it's an overreaction to say that I can't see anyone outside of City, United and Leicester winning the league.

Although Liverpool do have a game in hand which could be crucial.
Özil is a truly wonderful player, don't understand why he cops so much flak from some people (especially the match commentators)

There are plenty of matches where he does look lazy & disinterested. On song one of the very best though.
I would argue he is like this every game as this his his demeanour but lazy commentators use this as an excuse to why he has a bad game. He is/was never going to be a guy who harasses opposition to win the ball back like an Alexis (everyone will look lazy compared that incredible workrate) and Arsenal know this when they bought him. Just chuck Özil behind the striker and let him work his magic and the team will be better for it.

I disagree with this. A midfield three of Milner, Henderson and Coutinho (today it was Lallana centrally instead) isn't conservative. We're just lacking fluency at the moment.

The only time I've seen us be conservative under Rodgers (aside from the odd game) is last season when we were playing terribly he tried setting us up to be a lot more solid which ultimately didn't work just before we switched to 3 at the back.

Yeah I'm sorry we aren't going to agree here.

No pace in ball movement and Other than Coutinho pushing forward, Henderson and Milner, especially the latter wouldn't be banking for the back of the net action.

no disrespect to STO/BOU but only 4 or 5 big chances amongst 180 minutes is concerning and despite Liverpool sitting quite deep (at home vs Bournemouth ????) still thought Bou were creating some good chances.

My Liverpool 11;

------------Mingolet----------

Clyne--Skrtel---Lovren--Gomez/Moreno

---------Milner---Henderson------

-----Lallana---Coutinho---Firmino/Ibe-------

--------------Benteke-----------

Firm/Cout/Lallana can all rotate amongst each other throughout.

Also would consider Ings on for Lallana as well, Benteke was really good, having another striker running off him could've created a few more chances

Just thought with the amount of duels and hold up play Teke he won, he could've played a couple of Giroud like tips round the corner. I suppose that'll come with chemistry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think we set out to be conservative, it's just the way this particular game panned out because we had no fluency in attack. The idea is to have Milner and Henderson in midfield with one of them bombing forward to join in attacks and Coutinho (Lallana today) ahead of them with 3 forwards ahead of him. So that's five forward thinking players moving around the pitch. At least that is the idea, obviously we didn't see much of it today.

I do expect us to have a more (planned) conservative approach against Arsenal next weekend though.

I really wasnt though mate, I think the emotion of you guys losing badly and of course it was happening live made Chelsea fans and SM for some reason very precious.

I apologise to anyone reading this or are bored of this topic but ive been called out. When I get called out and I believe I have said nothing wrong, I'm going to back myself in. Here is what really happened.

There were not 6-7 "silly" posts having a dig at Chelsea.

It all started with the offside Ramires goal and I said the following.

"Yeah it was super tight and isnt the rule usually if it's super tight, then the advantage goes to the attacking teams to promote goals and attacking football. The linesman never seems to know that rule though."

I also posted these two comments.

"This is slowly turning for Chelsea. They are better in this second half and all those wasted chances could come back to haunt City."

"A Cuadrado sighting. As rare as Dodo birds. Also Chelsea have been better defensively this half and have huffed and puffed but havent really looked like scoring though."

Does any of that seem like it was "silly" I was actually complimenting Chelsea that they had slowed City down without really making inroads themselves but they had looked better in the second half.

Then this happened.

I replied with the following.

"When did you score? It's 1-0??"

I replied with this banter.

"But you didnt score. You were offside? Didnt you see that bit? You're 3-0 down bro?? You havent scored."

Then Loonerty got involved calling it "dickhead language"

Meanwhile, inbetween my fairly normal banter. There was such trolling as these two efforts.

But im the dickhead. Sorry mate. I think you have this all wrong. I didnt do or say anything wrong. It was fairly standard BF stuff. A bit of banter in the matchday thread. Just that SM and Loonerty were being a bit precious.

Sorry to bore everyone but I aint getting called out without defending myself.
Had no issues with any of your other comments but when people bust out the multiple question marks and the "bro"s, it screams arsehole.

I don't think we set out to be conservative, it's just the way this particular game panned out because we had no fluency in attack. The idea is to have Milner and Henderson in midfield with one of them bombing forward to join in attacks and Coutinho (Lallana today) ahead of them with 3 forwards ahead of him. So that's five forward thinking players moving around the pitch. At least that is the idea, obviously we didn't see much of it today.

I do expect us to have a more (planned) conservative approach against Arsenal next weekend though.

Yeh see but the thing is, BOU @ home and just barely saw Milner bombing forward at all except to deliver that one cross.

I totally get that the plan is to have someone of the Middle two bombing forward but saw very little of that tonight and in turn

Understand you guys might just not be at your best yet, and Firmino after watching him 6 or 7 times last season is one of my most exciting signings off this period. Hopefully starts next week.

You @ Ars or at home? Assuming it's away?

Had no issues with any of your other comments but when people bust out the multiple question marks and the "bro"s, it screams arsehole.

I must say when I start running bros it's definitely me having a bit of a go.

But still, storm in teacup, jods in the best handful of posters on here, as is SM - lets not make it bigger than it has to be and just move on ay.

Interesting that Liverpool's goal stood.

I would argue he is like this every game as this his his demeanour but lazy commentators use this as an excuse to why he has a bad game. He is/was never going to be a guy who harasses opposition to win the ball back like an Alexis (everyone will look lazy compared that incredible workrate) and Arsenal know this when they bought him. Just chuck Özil behind the striker and let him work his magic and the team will be better for it.

Exactly. Ozil drifts in and out of games, just the type of player he is.

I hope jod23 has recovered from Skrtel high-fiving Wilson.. I know he probably burnt his Skrtel shirt as soon as it happened.. :(

The goal should definitely not have stood, very unfortunate for Bournemouth who had a goal of their own unjustly ruled out because Lovren is a marshmallow.

And lol at the Bournemouth chant "Steven Gerrard, he left cos you're s**t".

I really wasnt though mate, I think the emotion of you guys losing badly and of course it was happening live made Chelsea fans and SM for some reason very precious.

I apologise to anyone reading this or are bored of this topic but ive been called out. When I get called out and I believe I have said nothing wrong, I'm going to back myself in. Here is what really happened.

There were not 6-7 "silly" posts having a dig at Chelsea.

It all started with the offside Ramires goal and I said the following.

"Yeah it was super tight and isnt the rule usually if it's super tight, then the advantage goes to the attacking teams to promote goals and attacking football. The linesman never seems to know that rule though."

I also posted these two comments.

"This is slowly turning for Chelsea. They are better in this second half and all those wasted chances could come back to haunt City."

"A Cuadrado sighting. As rare as Dodo birds. Also Chelsea have been better defensively this half and have huffed and puffed but havent really looked like scoring though."

Does any of that seem like it was "silly" I was actually complimenting Chelsea that they had slowed City down without really making inroads themselves but they had looked better in the second half.

Then this happened.

I replied with the following.

"When did you score? It's 1-0??"

I replied with this banter.

"But you didnt score. You were offside? Didnt you see that bit? You're 3-0 down bro?? You havent scored."

Then Loonerty got involved calling it "dickhead language"

Meanwhile, inbetween my fairly normal banter. There was such trolling as these two efforts.

But im the dickhead. Sorry mate. I think you have this all wrong. I didnt do or say anything wrong. It was fairly standard BF stuff. A bit of banter in the matchday thread. Just that SM and Loonerty were being a bit precious.

Sorry to bore everyone but I aint getting called out without defending myself.

I feel like people are misinterpreting why I got annoyed at you. I have zero issue with people laughing at Chelsea. I did it myself. I got annoyed because you made a huge amount of posts during the end of the game, with a number of them in a row, where it was clear you were besides yourself with glee, which I really didn't understand considering your side wasn't playing. Watching the game live and having post after post coming in from you was getting annoying which is why I pulled you up on it.

Ok onto my thoughts with Liverpool.

We were terrible and very lucky. Coutinho is clearly offside and makes a play for the ball distracting the goalkeeper. It should have been flagged offside.

I wish I could sit down with Brendan Rodgers and have a chat to try to understand why he thinks what he is doing is going to work.

As Rough_Edges and Sozabarus has said, the idea is for one to sit and the other to attack in the Hendo/Milner pivot. But it just doesnt work. It didnt work for 60 minutes against Stoke and fair enough, maybe he thought it was an off day, so he tried it again, but again it didnt work.

He needs to put that idea to bed now. We didnt even have the cattle to change the formation once Henderson came off injured as Can just went straight into Hendo's role.

With a two man midfield, we create absolutely nothing.

Lovren is a flat out liability.

Maximum points from two games and two clean sheets but im far from happy. Rodgers is way off in his squad selection, he is marginalising the wrong people in Sakho and Lucas and even his set up and tactics with the new players is off.

We need to change the system, bring back Lucas and Sakho into the fold and play a 3 man midfield pronto.

Im really annoyed at BR despite getting two wins from two.

Bookmark this. Arsenal will tear us apart next week if we continue with the same players in the same setup.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back