Other MIchael Sam - Openly Gay and Drafted

Remove this Banner Ad

MSN had something that said the League pushed hard for Sam to be drafted. They equally will be loathe to see him cut because the Ellen brigade would start making claims of homophobia.

'Ellen brigade' made me laugh

Ellen-Degeneres-selfie-at-009.jpg

:confused:

I may have to reevaluate my position on Michael Sam. Word is trickling out that he and his representatives organised a documentary series following his drafting and experience in the NFL with Oprah's network without informing any of the 32 teams pre-draft. All his actions now appear contrived and scripted.

So much for keeping low key and getting on with football. To the casual observer, it's appearing more and more likely Sam is nothing more than your run of the mill minority attention seeker looking to cash in on his 5 minutes of fame.

I may have to reevaluate my position on Michael Sam. Word is trickling out that he and his representatives organised a documentary series following his drafting and experience in the NFL with Oprah's network without informing any of the 32 teams pre-draft. All his actions now appear contrived and scripted.

So much for keeping low key and getting on with football. To the casual observer, it's appearing more and more likely Sam is nothing more than your run of the mill minority attention seeker looking to cash in on his 5 minutes of fame.
He's getting life after football sorted out, if he doesn't make training camp.

The NFL will regret the armchair ride they have given Sam.

I'll also make a politically incorrect prediction.

After the Michael Sam experiment eventually fails ( the NFL will do their best to keep him on a roster), no openly gay player will be drafted for some time.

The experiment will fail because Michael Sam will cease to be Michael Sam the footballer but Michael Sam the civil rights person and football clubs probably don't care if you are gay or otherwise ( as do I, I might make clear)but they do care if you bring attention to the team. When the introduced the series "Hard Knocks" it went all right for a while but the teams eventually did not like the attention and the show switched teams. The NFL teams do not like prima donnas, especially 7th round prima donnas.

In related news, Cleveland are now limiting media attention at training and access to Manziel because they do not want the attention that Manziel brings to the team.

I'll also make a politically incorrect prediction.

After the Michael Sam experiment eventually fails ( the NFL will do their best to keep him on a roster), no openly gay player will be drafted for some time.

The experiment will fail because Michael Sam will cease to be Michael Sam the footballer but Michael Sam the civil rights person and football clubs probably don't care if you are gay or otherwise ( as do I, I might make clear)but they do care if you bring attention to the team. When the introduced the series "Hard Knocks" it went all right for a while but the teams eventually did not like the attention and the show switched teams. The NFL teams do not like prima donnas, especially 7th round prima donnas.

In related news, Cleveland are now limiting media attention at training and access to Manziel because they do not want the attention that Manziel brings to the team.
Agree with most of your post apart from the bolded. If they can play they will be drafted. If there is another openly gay player the best thing they can do about it now is to refuse to do any media that doesn't involve talking about football. I think Sam has made a really poor decision to make a documentary at this point in life, I wouldn't have had any problem with him doing one after a couple of years talking about his experience but to do it straight away just makes me question his motives.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Michael Sam coming out prior to being drafted has done a lot for Michael Sam, but has actually damaged the cause of gay players coming out in the NFL, with the actions he appears to have taken prior to the draft and since.

If that TV show rumour is on the mark, he will absolutely get cut now, what a waste of an opportunity. Someone has been giving him some very poor advice.

2.jpg

RATINGS BABY!! Nobody watches football because he's gay… it's all to do with PROFILE :rainbow: PROFILE :rainbow: PROFILE :rainbow:.. like a real estate agent proclaiming… location, location, location..

Didn't they follow some recent draftees on an espn doco? Not sure if it was last year's draft where they followed about 4-5 players around the draft and then pre season. Yeah these players were top prospects and not a 7th rounder but still don't see what all the fuss is about.

Yep. Really *in annoys me. I couldn't care what his sexual orientation is. All I care about is can he play?

Without wanting to derail the thread, I knew this sort of crap would happen. So there are people who choose to be homosexual. Good for them. I don't need to be bombarded with it 24/7. It's freakin everywhere. s**t, even my featured youtube subscription suggestion atm is from some lass promoting the joys of being a lesbian.

IF gays want equality, well how bout they just equally get on with just living their ******* lives like the rest of us instead of promoting themselves like they are selling insurance or something???

The amount of backpedaling being done by the league and the media outlets after this docu deal surfaced is incredible.

Michael Sam will fail, not because of the spotlight nor his sexual preferences, but because he is one of the many players who fit the college schemes, but not the pro schemes. He reminds me of Mike Mamula, who was a failure in Philly, albeit a highly drafted failure.

This will be lost on the casual fan or those who look at this situation solely from the "pushing gay rights" side of things. They will only see it as "Openly gay players can't make it in the NFL". Which is sad, because it's going to ruin the prospects of many gay footballers who will have to stay closeted until after they get drafted.

Yep. Really ****in annoys me. I couldn't care what his sexual orientation is. All I care about is can he play?

Without wanting to derail the thread, I knew this sort of crap would happen. So there are people who choose to be homosexual. Good for them. I don't need to be bombarded with it 24/7. It's freakin everywhere. s**t, even my featured youtube subscription suggestion atm is from some lass promoting the joys of being a lesbian.

IF gays want equality, well how bout they just equally get on with just living their ******* lives like the rest of us instead of promoting themselves like they are selling insurance or something???
Historically, I've been progressive and believe the fabric of a person shouldn't be judged by the colour of their skin, their political/religious/spiritual ideologies, their gender, sexuality or their favourite colour. As acceptance has taken a foothold in modern society, I've noticed a disturbing trend. Minorities don't appear to want acceptance or equal rights, they want non-stop recognition and in some cases, superior rights. Unfortunately, that's attached itself to ratings and the dollar as Woodson points out.

I wanted to support Michael Sam the NFL Player. Now, it appears more likely he's just another puppet looking to make a quick buck on the back of it being fashionable to declare your sexuality. I had hoped he would be a beacon for other young gay people struggling with their identity and to blaze a path to help them find their place in the world. Now, we know it's on a reality TV series.

As PACatter has mentioned, I fear this will set the gay rights movement in professional team sports back more than it will help. For that, Sam and his team should be should be ashamed.

As a footnote to this post I noticed Sam and his team have decided to postpone the project with Oprah. Clearly, they misread the situation and the public backlash must have been immense. The Rams have put their foot down and as an organisation, I applaud their actions. This would make larkis rather happy.

Last edited:
and believe the fabric of a person shouldn't be judged by the colour of their skin, their political/religious/spiritual ideologies, their gender, sexuality or their favourite colour.

Well what the * else is there left to judge (ie,assassinate) a person on after you've taken all that away? That's why we have all those superficial things for in the first place.....to make quick judgments.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back