News PAFC 2014 Membership Tally

Remove this Banner Ad

Once a hippie, always a hippie.

Guy was brilliant at marketing and making products insanely appealing but he was a huge douchebag to his employees and the people around him. Always loved the iPod and can see why people would pick up a Macbook, despite huge neckbeards loving to rave on about how shitty mac products are.

We only had 6,000 members when we were in the SANFL. Why did we get 30-35,000 of the 50,000 turning up for GF"s?? Bandwagon everywhere. When you play at the MCG or Waverley why do you need to buy a membership??

Near death experiences wake people up. It woke up complacent Hawks and our 2011 and 2012 woke up many of our supporters.

Steve Jobs words on near death experiences to the 2005 Stanford Uni graduating class rings true.

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2005/june15/jobs-061505.html

My third story is about death.

When I was 17, I read a quote that went something like: "If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right." It made an impression on me, and since then, for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?" And whenever the answer has been "No" for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.

Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.

About a year ago I was diagnosed with cancer. I had a scan at 7:30 in the morning, and it clearly showed a tumor on my pancreas. I didn't even know what a pancreas was. The doctors told me this was almost certainly a type of cancer that is incurable, and that I should expect to live no longer than three to six months. My doctor advised me to go home and get my affairs in order, which is doctor's code for prepare to die. It means to try to tell your kids everything you thought you'd have the next 10 years to tell them in just a few months. It means to make sure everything is buttoned up so that it will be as easy as possible for your family. It means to say your goodbyes.

I lived with that diagnosis all day. Later that evening I had a biopsy, where they stuck an endoscope down my throat, through my stomach and into my intestines, put a needle into my pancreas and got a few cells from the tumor. I was sedated, but my wife, who was there, told me that when they viewed the cells under a microscope the doctors started crying because it turned out to be a very rare form of pancreatic cancer that is curable with surgery. I had the surgery and I'm fine now.

This was the closest I've been to facing death, and I hope it's the closest I get for a few more decades. Having lived through it, I can now say this to you with a bit more certainty than when death was a useful but purely intellectual concept:

No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

I re-call Jeff Kennett saying something similar, but probably not so eloquently, above living life and respecting every day you have on this Earth

Having faced a few potentially life threatening challenges recently myself, I can only wholeheartedly agree with this

Mindfullness - stay in the moment and don't let negative thoughts overtake you

All you young 'uns out there take heed !

His inner voice encouraged him to refuse medical advice and made him go on a pseudo-medical wank diet, thus increasing the chances of the cancer killing him drastically.

So what? He had a rare form of cancer and taking poison and killing all you good cells as well as the bad ones ie chemo or barbecuing your cells ie radiation treatment is no guarantee he would have survived longer. He lasted almost 8 years. My mum was diagnosed and dead within 3 months - would she have had a better final 3 months of her life without the chemo - I have no doubt.

But once again the centre point is missed. Death or the opportunity to die focuses the mind like nothing else. It happened at Hawthorn - it happened at Port.

Just heard a grab from Kochie on 5AA from 3AW that he reckons the two significant things that happened to steel the club was Boak resigning and J-Mac's death. As he said, the players grew up as a result of J-Mac passing, and it made people associated with club (on many levels) focus the mind about what the game is about and what life is about and change the way we have gone about things.

This why I don't actually think Hawthorn is any bigger club in it's home city than we are. Take out their Tassie membership and what I reckon would be a very significant interstate membership (I know at least 4 people that are paid up Hawks members that live 800km west of Glenferrie), and you suddenly have less members than we do. Their crowd numbers also confirm this and they are reigning premiers.

Yep look at their crowd when they play Freo and WCE at the MCG in a home and away game. About 60% of that 60,000 turn up.

We only had 6,000 members when we were in the SANFL. Why did we get 30-35,000 of the 50,000 turning up for GF"s?? Bandwagon everywhere. When you play at the MCG or Waverley why do you need to buy a membership??

Near death experiences wake people up. It woke up complacent Hawks and our 2011 and 2012 woke up many of our supporters.

Steve Jobs words on near death experiences to the 2005 Stanford Uni graduating class rings true.

When I was 17, I read a quote that went something like: "If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right." It made an impression on me, and since then, for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?" And whenever the answer has been "No" for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.

Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.

About a year ago I was diagnosed with cancer. I had a scan at 7:30 in the morning, and it clearly showed a tumor on my pancreas. I didn't even know what a pancreas was. The doctors told me this was almost certainly a type of cancer that is incurable, and that I should expect to live no longer than three to six months. My doctor advised me to go home and get my affairs in order, which is doctor's code for prepare to die. It means to try to tell your kids everything you thought you'd have the next 10 years to tell them in just a few months. It means to make sure everything is buttoned up so that it will be as easy as possible for your family. It means to say your goodbyes.

I lived with that diagnosis all day. Later that evening I had a biopsy, where they stuck an endoscope down my throat, through my stomach and into my intestines, put a needle into my pancreas and got a few cells from the tumor. I was sedated, but my wife, who was there, told me that when they viewed the cells under a microscope the doctors started crying because it turned out to be a very rare form of pancreatic cancer that is curable with surgery. I had the surgery and I'm fine now.

This was the closest I've been to facing death, and I hope it's the closest I get for a few more decades. Having lived through it, I can now say this to you with a bit more certainty than when death was a useful but purely intellectual concept:

No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

I liked your post RussellEbertHandball but 'like' seems too underwhelming.
Love your philosophy and so pleased it wasn't your time for closure.

Wow! There is our reality check for the day!!:(

Thanks for your story!:thumbsu:

So what? He had a rare form of cancer and taking poison and killing all you good cells as well as the bad ones ie chemo or barbecuing your cells ie radiation treatment is no guarantee he would have survived longer. He lasted almost 8 years. My mum was diagnosed and dead within 3 months - would she have had a better final 3 months of her life without the chemo - I have no doubt.

But once again the centre point is missed. Death or the opportunity to die focuses the mind like nothing else. It happened at Hawthorn - it happened at Port.

Just heard a grab from Kochie on 5AA from 3AW that he reckons the two significant things that happened to steel the club was Boak resigning and J-Mac's death. As he said, the players grew up as a result of J-Mac passing, and it made people associated with club (on many levels) focus the mind about what the game is about and what life is about and change the way we have gone about things.

I know the main point you're trying to get at but to be pedantic here:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...es-alarms-about-alternative-medicine/2429385/
http://archive.is/20120715/http://m.../news/companies/elkind_jobs.fortune/index.htm
http://archive.is/20120604/http://w...tional-cancer-medicine.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
http://archive.is/20120915/http://abcnews.go.com/story?id=14781250

I'm not saying that he would have definitely survived, but he would have increased his chances dramatically if he listened to his doctor. The type of cancer he had although rare, was rarely fatal. Having earlier treatment would have dramatically increased his chances of surviving - I'd rather listen and adhere to an experts advice in the field (which financially speaking he'd have the funds to access) and at least give myself a shot at living then disregard their advice completely and go for the ridiculous new-age unproven solution.

His ability to go with his hunch and steam ahead was what made him fantastic at marketing and making tech products incredibly appealing. Unfortunately though his attitude bit him in the ass and drastically increased the likelihood of his death.

I know the main point you're trying to get at but to be pedantic here:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...es-alarms-about-alternative-medicine/2429385/
http://archive.is/20120715/http://m.../news/companies/elkind_jobs.fortune/index.htm
http://archive.is/20120604/http://w...tional-cancer-medicine.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
http://archive.is/20120915/http://abcnews.go.com/story?id=14781250
I'm not saying that he would have definitely survived, but he would have increased his chances dramatically if he listened to his doctor. The type of cancer he had although rare, was rarely fatal. Having earlier treatment would have dramatically increased his chances of surviving - I'd rather listen and adhere to an experts advice in the field (which financially speaking he'd have the funds to access) and at least give myself a shot at living then disregard their advice completely and go for the ridiculous new-age unproven solution.

His ability to go with his hunch and steam ahead was what made him fantastic at marketing and making tech products incredibly appealing. Unfortunately though his attitude bit him in the ass and drastically increased the likelihood of his death.

Mehh so what, he probably lived what you or I would live in 2 or 3 lifetimes in his 56 years. He was as successful as what he was because he thought differently to what a normal person thinks. Why would that change when he faced a life threatening crisis. he was a stubborn driven hardarse. he was always going to do things his way. And dramatically improving your chances doesn't equal definite successful overcoming of the cancer.

I always read that testicular cancer treatment has the highest success rate. It didn't stop that young Socceroo who played for West Ham dieing at 20.

Yep look at their crowd when they play Freo and WCE at the MCG in a home and away game. About 60% of that 60,000 turn up.

They also had back to back games at the g last year [one away against Melbourne] of 28k.

His (Steve Jobs) inner voice encouraged him to refuse medical advice and made him go on a pseudo-medical wank diet, thus increasing the chances of the cancer killing him drastically.
Pancreatic cancer is vicious. What treatment we have for it is vicious. While cancer treatment gets better all the time I'm going into bat for Jobs' inner voice here. Ineffective but non-invasive treatment was probably kinder.

Pancreatic cancer is vicious. What treatment we have for it is vicious. While cancer treatment gets better I'm going into bat for Jobs' inner voice here. Ineffective but non-invasive treatment was probably kinder.

You're correct in regards to a majority of Pancreatic Cancer (95% iirc), but he had a specific strand of it which was much less invasive and had high chances of being treated successfully. Its merely a nitpicking aspect on my behalf - I'm more of a 'Go your own way, but listen to the people in fields you know absolutely nothing about' kinda guy :p

At the Magpies game and decided to upgrade the other Black Diamond membership I have to Club 1870. Ben tells me that I am the third person to do so since the inner sanctum night at AO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're correct in regards to a majority of Pancreatic Cancer (95% iirc), but he had a specific strand of it which was much less invasive and had high chances of being treated successfully. Its merely a nitpicking aspect on my behalf - I'm more of a 'Go your own way, but listen to the people in fields you know absolutely nothing about' kinda guy :p

Yeah, the whole "cancer medication boo, it'll get you anyway - might as well go with meditation and Chinese five spice" train of thought reminds me of the anti-vaccination trend.

So much misinformation and specious reasoning that flies in the face of medical evidence and years of peer-reviewed research.

That's all well and good m8, but where the hell were Hawthorn supporters between 1992-2006 when they were nowhere to be found and almost merged with the Dees as the junior partner not five minutes after they played in 100 grand finals for almost as many flags?

While we sucked huge sweaty baws between 2008-2012 we didn't have shiny stadiums like the MCG and Etihad to play at and were being reamed a dozen different ways by SANFL stupidity (horror stadium deal, Power/Magpies diktat). We also didn't have the luxury of exploring external revenue options of the ilk Tasmania has provided for them and so on.

The Hawthorn bandwagon would be one of the biggest per capita in the world.

I mean seriously. 12000 members in 1996 is ****ing shameful.

They are the equivalent of Arsenal supporters.

Yeah, the whole "cancer medication boo, it'll get you anyway - might as well go with meditation and Chinese five spice" train of thought reminds me of the anti-vaccination trend.

So much misinformation and specious reasoning that flies in the face of medical evidence and years of peer-reviewed research.

Anti-vaccination is slightly different, as parents are making decisions for children

Anti-vaccination is slightly different, as parents are making decisions for children
But say a 12 year old catchers whooping cough because his parents chose not to, he/she then infects a baby who is too young for the vaccine and dies.

It's call Community immunity and from my pov parents that chose not to are selfish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But say a 12 year old catchers whooping cough because his parents chose not to, he/she then infects a baby who is too young for the vaccine and dies.

It's call Community immunity and from my pov parents that chose not to are selfish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I meant, Jobs was making decisions about his own life, not someone else's

At least now un-vaccinated children are no longer allowed to attend most day care institutions... I would go off my fn melon if my lad contracted anything that was preventable through immunisation!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back