Player Watch Pick #29 (2012) - Tom Clurey

Remove this Banner Ad

From Knightmares phantom draft:

#24 St Kilda (Via GWS) – Tom Clurey (VIC – KPD)
Height: 193cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 23/03/1994
Recruited from: Murray Bushrangers
Style:
Player comparison: James Clement
Range: 15-25
Profile: Clurey has a solid shutdown game but what has stood out in his play has been his rebounding game and ball use. Showed plenty during the u18 champs and throughout the season just how complete his game is. For mine the best key defender in this draft. Uses the as ball well any coming out of the back half and has elite footskills for a key defender and has the ability to use either foot to a very high level. Strong overhead and 1v1 can take marks. Reads it well and can get off his man to take the intercept mark and reads the game really well. Has the ability to go with a guy 1v1 and goes well in 1v1 marking contests. Endurance elite and tested superbly at the draft combine and can run with anyone as a key defender. Also has the ability to play forward and while I consider him more of a key defender this could also be a possibility if required.

better prospect than tanner smith as smith has one good thing ( spoiling ) but some weaknesses ( kicking ) while clurey has a weapon ( his tank ) and is decent/ good at other stuff. i havent heard of a real weakness with him yet.

Emma Quayle in her top 25 picks ie order she thought was the best - she picked Joe Daniher at pick 1 and Viney at pick 4, but they went at F/S picks.

Pick of the Crop

24. TOM CLUREY
(Murray Bushrangers. 18, 192cm, 83kg)
Clurey is a really honest player. He doesn't win much of the ball but knows how to knuckle down and keep someone quiet, without much fuss at all. A solid mark and a player with huge endurance. Just keeps going and going and going.
Who will pick him? Clurey's range is broad. He could appeal to GWS should they miss out on both Plowman and Aidan Corr, who would have been No. 26 on this list. He's also a chance for Collingwood, and could get through to the mid-20s where St Kilda would take a look.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/the-pick-of-the-crop-20121117-29jct.html#ixzz2CwPlUc86

Pick of the Crop

Don't think we really need another 192 cm key defender TBH. Oh well, welcome to the club Tom.

This pick probably spells the end for Nathan Blee.

I should qualify my 'like' of your post by saying I only like the second and third sentences. I know you rate Jonas but he's no sure thing and we need an upgrade on him and Carlile. Blee wont make it.

its looking like we have pressure on carlile somewhat now but i think hombsh would be better served not playing the number 1 defender. trengove, carlile and hombsh all bring different qualities that we can mix and match to suit a particular defense. clurey will be the wildcard to see what kind of player he develops into and gives us something more. if anything i think this off-season has put tremendous pressure on blee who would require a massive step up to stay and also jonas, who as a medium defender could be replaced with any number of players we have brought in.

19. Collingwood - Tom Clurey (193cm defender - Murray)

In terms of key defenders, Tom Clurey might well be my favourite prospect. He hasn't been the best performing defender by any means, but there is just that something there. Something that suggests he'll be a very good AFL defender. I thought he had a good U18 Championships for Vic Country, he wasn't a standout but he did his job. He played on the tall forwards each week, and was not only one out on the goal line but he also played further up the ground at CHB. And when he was given the opportunity to rebound, he generally set the play up with his kicking. Clurey is already a nice size for a defender, just has a little bit more muscle to put on. But he is a real leader in the back lines, and has the endurance to stay out on the ground all day while still matching it with his opponent. Sometimes you watch a player, and just think he would be the perfect fit for a certain team - and Clurey just seems like a typical Sydney KPP. And that is a compliment. AFL Comparison: Ted Richards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clearly an elite runner coming 2nd in the 3k run and 1st in the beep test, his time actually put him equal 2nd with oshea from last weeks 3k club run

Given his elite running capability and the fact he likes to play pretty loose down back, I wonder if we see him developing into a midfielder?

This kid is an absolute out and out GUN .
Will be the best tall to come out of this draft including stringer , who was taken at 5 , who Clurey incidentally absolutely destroyed this year at TAC level .
Don't pigeon hole him as a defender , spent plenty of 2011 as a bottom aged KPF / winger .
Think Pavlich and start stacking the cash into the future fund , because in a 3-4 years this kid will be on everyone's wish list .

Is this a worry for Carlile? Or does the club feel he may be a flight/fat risk?
Yeah I'm sure Carlile is shaking in his boots considering the depth we have at KPD o_O

Remove this Banner Ad

Back