Universal Love Q&A - Lachie Neale('s manager)

Remove this Banner Ad

From Tim -
Biggest Strength: I think I have probably touched on that a fair bit – his mental attitude. Physically he has always run really hard and I think the feature of his game now is his inside handballs to a running player outside of the contest. He is getting to a very, very good level with that aspect of the game I think.
His handballing from the middle of a pack to one of our blokes on the outside is an absolute joy to watch. It's like watching Stephen Hill run.

From Tim (super-long-answer edition) -

• Tim, can you tell us where Lachie rates among the talent you have managed.

Let me firstly take my agents hat off and dust off the old coach’s hat, GordonT.

I have been fortunate and privileged to have worked with so many great young men during my time in country footy initially, then the AFL Northern Territory/NT Thunder (Talent Manager – Central Australia) from 2007-2010 and then as the U18 Coach for the Glenelg FC in 2011.

I am going off of the top of my head and I know I have mentioned this previously but in my time coaching I have worked with around about 15 players who have made it onto an AFL list. Some of these players include Jake Neade, Curtly Hampton, Troy Taylor, Lincoln McCarthy, Jordan Murdoch, Gibson Turner, Tim O’Brien, Nathan Stark, Brodie Murdoch, Matt Scharenberg and Cory Gregson (Gregson played 3 games as a 14yo in the Bay U18 side). This list isn't aimed to impress anyone but just to show the varied talent and types of players.

Manager’s hat now goes back on.

Lincoln McCarthy (Geelong) – Seriously talented. Explosive, skilled, hard. He has had some horrible injuries including the re-occurrence of a navicular stress fracture for the 2nd time in 3 years but if you ask any player (including Lachie) they will tell you he is the most freakish player they have seen.

Tim O’Brien (Hawthorn) – Big Upside. Mobile, quick, great kick at goal. Timbo will come onto the scene, I think in the next 18 months. Breaking into the Hawk forward line is no mean feat but we all feel he has a big future.

Nakia Cockatoo (Geelong) – Could be anything. Explosive, hard, uninhibited when he plays. Cocky is honestly one of the best kids you could meet – he is a gem. We don’t know where his ceiling is yet but have some patience Cats fans… his time will come and there is a lot of development and upside to come.

Cory Gregson (Geelong) – Exciting. Amazing strength, recovery, great decision maker. He has settled quickly in to the Geelong forward line hasn’t he. A long way to go yet but he looks good. Was of national standard as a gymnast when he was about 12 but took the football path. I am pleased about that.

Those four boys I have mentioned all, amongst other things, have natural talent. I would be lying if I said Lach was as talented as them. Sure, he was talented but he has had to work bloody hard to get to where he is and will work even harder to get to where he wants to be.

Too small. Too slow. Can’t kick. These were common phrases uttered to me in his draft year. He wasn’t in the initial U18 State squad for SA like many of his peers. He didn’t start his draft year training with the senior SANFL club squad like his peers. He didn’t get as many questionnaires and interviews as many of his state team mates. After a stellar year he wasn’t invited to the combine – in fact he wasn’t even invited to the initial SA State Screening day!!

I have made it pretty well known that I didn’t have a lot of faith in many recruiters over there based on their lack of love for your #27. I was recruiting for an AFL club at the time and I said to him, a few weeks before the draft, if he didn’t get drafted I would quit recruiting in disgust for how many hacks were working for clubs. Yeah I admit it, I was filthy and emotional. Not because I am some sort of self-appointed guru of talent identification but THIS KID HAD IT!

But he was always going to get drafted. Why? He had enough talent to show he could do it but most of all he had the character and personality to say he could do it.

Kicking and catching a ball is only half of what it takes to be drafted, character is just as important and this kid had it in spades. He absorbs information like a sponge. He is so driven you sometimes have to pull him back and get him to ease up. He is not only a tough little bugger on field (don’t be the boyish, Harry Style looks) but internally he is too. If you try and knock him down he will get back up and fight on without any complaints or a ‘poor me’ attitude. If he has needed a clip around the ears (show me any kid who hasn’t and I will show you the Loch Ness monster dressed in sequins) he takes it on the chin, knowing you are just trying to improve him.

Ten clubs interviewed him in his draft year and Fremantle were one of the last ones to do so. I think it may have even been on the AFL grand final weekend of that year if I remember rightly. Five Fremantle recruiters with a camera to record every response in Mama Carmella’s, Jetty Road, Glenelg.

Whilst he was now well versed with these interviews this one was the most intense yet.

David Walls said to me a year or so later that as soon as the interview was finished they knew you guys had to draft him. They could see what a few of us already knew.

Kudos to Wallsy and his team.

Lachie rang me afterwards and told me Fremantle was definitely the club he wanted to go to.

Funny how it works isn’t it.

• If Tim doesn't mind a late one I'd like to get his thoughts on Freo as a destination club for young players as opposed to other big/successful clubs.
  • Besides homesickness how much of a factor does culture, gamestyle, training facilities and travel requirements factor into decision making?
  • Are Freo now as attractive as other clubs or are we still a bit on the nose?

Thanks Lost_Deputy for the excellent question

I think we need to look at this from two different angles – the new draftee (who has no choice on where is drafted to) and the established player who has been made an offer to come to the Purple Haze.

The Draftee

When I first meet a potential draftee and his family to do the Stride Sports Management presentation (our 'sell'), there is a part where I show them a map of Australia showing SA has two AFL teams (like WA) and say 'your boy, if he is lucky enough to get drafted only has about a 10% chance he will stay here in Adelaide come the draft. The probability is that he is going to be relocating interstate and all of you need to start getting your head around it. Young Jimmy, if he is lucky enough to get drafted, probably won’t be here come the end of November'.

As I have mentioned elsewhere I actually think moving away from family and friends as an 18yo has a lot of upside for personal development and growth and I would say 95% of kids feel the same way. They just want to get drafted it doesn’t matter where I end up. A lot of parents are just as keen for them to move away also!! The opportunity to gain independence, make their own decisions and the chance to focus solely on their new life as an AFL footballer. A stable investment.

Then some have their mummy who does there washing for them, irons their clothes, makes their lunch every day, cutting up their sandwiches into quarters in neat, triangle shapes and making sure their hair is in place… they are going to struggle to move away from the comfort and sanctity of the family home. Mum will struggle and ring her boy every day to make sure he is ok and without realising it ensure he is going to struggle too. A flight risk.
One List Manager said to me only two weeks ago, he thinks it will get to a stage where his club will struggle to select a player if they have not had an extended period away from home beforehand to gain this independence and experience. I can kind of see where he is coming from (remember that $250k investment amount I spoke about earlier?).

So regardless of which of these two kids with two different character traits and experiences the Fremantle Football Club take draft day is irrelevant. It’s the next bit that is important.

It is well known that Geelong, Hawthorn and Sydney are regarded as the best clubs who look after their players – go the extra mile to make sure the life balance and wellbeing of their greatest asset, their players, is highly valued and paramount to them. The senior players take in the younger ones like little brothers and teach them the values of the club and what it means to wear the guernsey. Is it a coincidence then that these clubs have also been the most successful of the modern era? I think not.

Port Adelaide weren’t great with this area a couple of years ago. Then they started improving it and are one of the better clubs now. These changes happened around the same time they started to improve on field. Was this rise up the ladder a coincidence then? I think not.

Fremantle have improved in a number of these areas in recent years – it has taken a while but they are getting their way up there. Correct me if I am wrong but to the best of my memory, Dylan Roberton has been the only player to return back home of his own accord for personal reasons hasn’t he? And I think that was because his partner – still in Victoria – was having their baby so I am sure we can all see why he left. Has this interstate player retention and Fremantle’s consistent quality seasons over this same period been a coincidence? I think not.

Luring the experienced player

Move to Perth/Fremantle? Who wouldn’t?? A club with a developing and strong culture. A club that is well resourced and structured. A club that keeps knocking at the top 4 each year so finals footy should be involved. A figure head coach that is well known and respected by his players. A city that is vibrant and growing. A city with great restaurants, cafés and weather. I am typing this and thinking why the hell don’t I live here??

Travel/Distance.
When as kid is drafted to Fremantle (Or West Coast for that matter) flying 4+ hours every second week to play is no big deal. That’s just AFL life. They know no different. The actual hours in the air may be off putting to some but when luring a Free Agent they are going to be 24+ years of age and they may have just started a young family (or are planning to in the near future) and if dad is hardly home during the winter and mum is trying to raise bub by herself, with both their family’s back home, miles away it would have to be a factor as to why moving to the other side of Australia may be a factor.

Money.
Brad Lloyd is always going to need to offer ‘overs’ to get a player from the eastern states. The trouble is if a player is being chased by another club from his home state, they will probably sign a contract for far less than what Brad has on the table and at some stage Lloydy just can’t go any higher with his offer (is increasing the money the right answer anyway?) because he has a salary cap he needs to think about both for the now and in the future. One big wage on a list has a ripple effect over time on the other players there. If you have two…..

Why aren’t they coming over here? I honestly don’t know but I have a theory with Free Agency (and the clubs who bleat about how unfair it is) and this theory is that first and foremost players want to be at a good club. A club that is going somewhere in the future. A club that looks after its players and has support for their partner/family. A club that they enjoy being involved with. Rather than whining about why you can’t attract players, start fixing your club up so it is attractive and a place where a new recruit want to go to. Money and finals are important for some but not all.

I think Fremantle are well and truly on the right track. The systems are falling into place.

They are controlling what they can control. The rest will fall into place in time.

In the meantime, sit back, watch what is happening in front of you in 2015 and salivate at the prospect of Weller, Pearce, O’Connor and co gracing the new stadium at Burswood in a few years’ time.

Your football club is going ok I reckon.

Last edited:

From Tim (super-long-answer edition) -

• Tim, can you tell us where Lachie rates among the talent you have managed.

Let me firstly take my agents hat off and dust off the old coach’s hat, GordonT.

I have been fortunate and privileged to have worked with so many great young men during my time in country footy initially, then the AFL Northern Territory/NT Thunder (Talent Manager – Central Australia) from 2007-2010 and then as the U18 Coach for the Glenelg FC in 2011.

I am going off of the top of my head and I know I have mentioned this previously but in my time coaching I have worked with around about 15 players who have made it onto an AFL list. Some of these players include Jake Neade, Curtly Hampton, Troy Taylor, Lincoln McCarthy, Jordan Murdoch, Gibson Turner, Tim O’Brien, Nathan Stark, Brodie Murdoch, Matt Scharenberg and Cory Gregson (Gregson played 3 games as a 14yo in the Bay U18 side). This list isn't aimed to impress anyone but just to show the varied talent and types of players.

Manager’s hat now goes back on.

Lincoln McCarthy (Geelong) – Seriously talented. Explosive, skilled, hard. He has had some horrible injuries including the re-occurrence of a navicular stress fracture for the 2nd time in 3 years but if you ask any player (including Lachie) they will tell you he is the most freakish player they have seen.

Tim O’Brien (Hawthorn) – Big Upside. Mobile, quick, great kick at goal. Timbo will come onto the scene, I think in the next 18 months. Breaking into the Hawk forward line is no mean feat but we all feel he has a big future.

Nakia Cockatoo (Geelong) – Could be anything. Explosive, hard, uninhibited when he plays. Cocky is honestly one of the best kids you could meet – he is a gem. We don’t know where his ceiling is yet but have some patience Cats fans… his time will come and there is a lot of development and upside to come.

Cory Gregson (Geelong) – Exciting. Amazing strength, recovery, great decision maker. He has settled quickly in to the Geelong forward line hasn’t he. A long way to go yet but he looks good. Was of national standard as a gymnast when he was about 12 but took the football path. I am pleased about that.

Those four boys I have mentioned all, amongst other things, have natural talent. I would be lying if I said Lach was as talented as them. Sure, he was talented but he has had to work bloody hard to get to where he is and will work even harder to get to where he wants to be.

Too small. Too slow. Can’t kick. These were common phrases uttered to me in his draft year. He wasn’t in the initial U18 State squad for SA like many of his peers. He didn’t start his draft year training with the senior SANFL club squad like his peers. He didn’t get as many questionnaires and interviews as many of his state team mates. After a stellar year he wasn’t invited to the combine – in fact he wasn’t even invited to the initial SA State Screening day!!

I have made it pretty well known that I didn’t have a lot of faith in many recruiters over there based on their lack of love for your #27. I was recruiting for an AFL club at the time and I said to him, a few weeks before the draft, if he didn’t get drafted I would quit recruiting in disgust for how many hacks were working for clubs. Yeah I admit it, I was filthy and emotional. Not because I am some sort of self-appointed guru of talent identification but THIS KID HAD IT!

But he was always going to get drafted. Why? He had enough talent to show he could do it but most of all he had the character and personality to say he could do it.

Kicking and catching a ball is only half of what it takes to be drafted, character is just as important and this kid had it in spades. He absorbs information like a sponge. He is so driven you sometimes have to pull him back and get him to ease up. He is not only a tough little bugger on field (don’t be the boyish, Harry Style looks) but internally he is too. If you try and knock him down he will get back up and fight on without any complaints or a ‘poor me’ attitude. If he has needed a clip around the ears (show me any kid who hasn’t and I will show you the Loch Ness monster dressed in sequins) he takes it on the chin, knowing you are just trying to improve him.

Ten clubs interviewed him in his draft year and Fremantle were one of the last ones to do so. I think it may have even been on the AFL grand final weekend of that year if I remember rightly. Five Fremantle recruiters with a camera to record every response in Mama Carmella’s, Jetty Road, Glenelg.

Whilst he was now well versed with these interviews this one was the most intense yet.

David Walls said to me a year or so later that as soon as the interview was finished they knew you guys had to draft him. They could see what a few of us already knew.

Kudos to Wallsy and his team.

Lachie rang me afterwards and told me Fremantle was definitely the club he wanted to go to.

Funny how it works isn’t it.

• If Tim doesn't mind a late one I'd like to get his thoughts on Freo as a destination club for young players as opposed to other big/successful clubs.
  • Besides homesickness how much of a factor does culture, gamestyle, training facilities and travel requirements factor into decision making?
  • Are Freo now as attractive as other clubs or are we still a bit on the nose?

Thanks Lost_Deputy for the excellent question

I think we need to look at this from two different angles – the new draftee (who has no choice on where is drafted to) and the established player who has been made an offer to come to the Purple Haze.

The Draftee

When I first meet a potential draftee and his family to do the Stride Sports Management presentation (our 'sell'), there is a part where I show them a map of Australia showing SA has two AFL teams (like WA) and say 'your boy, if he is lucky enough to get drafted only has about a 10% chance he will stay here in Adelaide come the draft. The probability is that he is going to be relocating interstate and all of you need to start getting your head around it. Young Jimmy, if he is lucky enough to get drafted, probably won’t be here come the end of November'.

As I have mentioned elsewhere I actually think moving away from family and friends as an 18yo has a lot of upside for personal development and growth and I would say 95% of kids feel the same way. They just want to get drafted it doesn’t matter where I end up. A lot of parents are just as keen for them to move away also!! The opportunity to gain independence, make their own decisions and the chance to focus solely on their new life as an AFL footballer. A stable investment.

Then some have their mummy who does there washing for them, irons their clothes, makes their lunch every day, cutting up their sandwiches into quarters in neat, triangle shapes and making sure their hair is in place… they are going to struggle to move away from the comfort and sanctity of the family home. Mum will struggle and ring her boy every day to make sure he is ok and without realising it ensure he is going to struggle too. A flight risk.
One List Manager said to me only two weeks ago, he thinks it will get to a stage where his club will struggle to select a player if they have not had an extended period away from home beforehand to gain this independence and experience. I can kind of see where he is coming from (remember that $250k investment amount I spoke about earlier?).

So regardless of which of these two kids with two different character traits and experiences the Fremantle Football Club take draft day is irrelevant. It’s the next bit that is important.

It is well known that Geelong, Hawthorn and Sydney are regarded as the best clubs who look after their players – go the extra mile to make sure the life balance and wellbeing of their greatest asset, their players, is highly valued and paramount to them. The senior players take in the younger ones like little brothers and teach them the values of the club and what it means to wear the guernsey. Is it a coincidence then that these clubs have also been the most successful of the modern era? I think not.

Port Adelaide weren’t great with this area a couple of years ago. Then they started improving it and are one of the better clubs now. These changes happened around the same time they started to improve on field. Was this rise up the ladder a coincidence then? I think not.

Fremantle have improved in a number of these areas in recent years – it has taken a while but they are getting their way up there. Correct me if I am wrong but to the best of my memory, Dylan Roberton has been the only player to return back home of his own accord for personal reasons hasn’t he? And I think that was because his partner – still in Victoria – was having their baby so I am sure we can all see why he left. Has this interstate player retention and Fremantle’s consistent quality seasons over this same period been a coincidence? I think not.

Luring the experienced player

Move to Perth/Fremantle? Who wouldn’t?? A club with a developing and strong culture. A club that is well resourced and structured. A club that keeps knocking at the top 4 each year so finals footy should be involved. A figure head coach that is well known and respected by his players. A city that is vibrant and growing. A city with great restaurants, cafés and weather. I am typing this and thinking why the hell don’t I live here??

Travel/Distance.
When as kid is drafted to Fremantle (Or West Coast for that matter) flying 4+ hours every second week to play is no big deal. That’s just AFL life. They know no different. The actual hours in the air may be off putting to some but when luring a Free Agent they are going to be 24+ years of age and they may have just started a young family (or are planning to in the near future) and if dad is hardly home during the winter and mum is trying to raise bub by herself, with both their family’s back home, miles away it would have to be a factor as to why moving to the other side of Australia may be a factor.

Money.
Brad Lloyd is always going to need to offer ‘overs’ to get a player from the eastern states. The trouble is if a player is being chased by another club from his home state, they will probably sign a contract for far less than what Brad has on the table and at some stage Lloydy just can’t go any higher with his offer (is increasing the money the right answer anyway?) because he has a salary cap he needs to think about both for the now and in the future. One big wage on a list has a ripple effect over time on the other players there. If you have two…..

Why aren’t they coming over here? I honestly don’t know but I have a theory with Free Agency (and the clubs who bleat about how unfair it is) and this theory is that first and foremost players want to be at a good club. A club that is going somewhere in the future. A club that looks after its players and has support for their partner/family. A club that they enjoy being involved with. Rather than whining about why you can’t attract players, start fixing your club up so it is attractive and a place where a new recruit want to go to. Money and finals are important for some but not all.

I think Fremantle are well and truly on the right track. The systems are falling into place.

They are controlling what they can control. The rest will fall into place in time.

In the meantime, sit back, watch what is happening in front of you in 2015 and salivate at the prospect of Weller, Pearce, O’Connor and co gracing the new stadium at Burswood in a few years’ time.

Your football club is going ok I reckon.
You give great effort Tim. We're a dog hungry footy forum, but it's about action, and in that sense you've been a credit to yourself.

Thanks heaps for the response. Lots of insight there that will be food for thought when trying to get a sense of what's going on when attracting players.

Easily the best thread I've seen on Bigfooty thanks Tim and Arcassius, and most likely the best I ever will see tbh.

In fact I'd go as far as to say that it's more interesting than any football article that the clowns that mascerade as journo's at our two papers in WA have put out in the last 30 years or so.

Hi Tim,

Can you please start negotiations on a long term contract between Lachie & Fremantle ASAP? Anything you can do to persuade him to sign for 5 years would be tops.

Cheers,
Everyone.

In all seriousness. Great thread and appreciate your time and effort. Gives a great insight into parts of footy that most people wouldn't have a clue about.

Speaking of long term deals, how does the upcoming broadcast deal factor into negotiations when the AFLPA is pushing for a greater share of the pie? I assume this would be a cap increase, which leads to a bigger average contract. Do you get an indication of the jump in cap space from the clubs and then push to add a year at twice the money in the new broadcast deal era?

From Tim -

• Speaking of long term deals, how does the upcoming broadcast deal factor into negotiations when the AFLPA is pushing for a greater share of the pie? I assume this would be a cap increase, which leads to a bigger average contract. Do you get an indication of the jump in cap space from the clubs and then push to add a year at twice the money in the new broadcast deal era?

Another interesting question, Tayl0r.

Again, I will make this a generic answer if that’s ok.

Basically the AFLPA will negotiate with the AFL on the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) which, as you have rightly pointed out, is driven by the income the AFL derives and of course the broadcasting rights are a major part of that.

To answer this question, once an agreement has been made to increase the salary cap, the AFLPA release this information to all accredited agents who then in turn use this information as they see fit.

I can’t go into too much detail but a good agent will have made provisions for any future increases of the salary cap to be added accordingly into their client’s contract; even before the agreed increase is discussed or implemented.

From Tim -

Ok ladies and gents. I must leave.

Thanks so much for having me on your board and asking some great questions.

I am hoping I may have given you some insight into Lachie’s life as a footballer. He was obviously more than happy for me to answer any questions when I asked him and whilst I don’t think he has read any of our thread, I do know he was more than happy to give the club supporters a little bit about him if you all so wished… which I am taking it you did!

Whilst not the intended meaning of this thread, I hope I gave you some insight into a few other areas of football life in my world along with some thoughts on your beloved club.

I want to thank you also for your kind words and feedback – it has certainly been a fun couple of days and I thoroughly enjoy talking footy to people who are able to open their minds and open their ears. Maybe one day you may not speak so positively of me… but let’s hope not. Business is business.

Thanks also to Arcassius for helping with this and getting me on board. His passion for the Dockers is obviously infectious. Hopefully nothing else is.

Finally, I know there is always conjecture as to whether players actually read Big Footy posts.

If they are my boys, from very early on they are advised to keep well away from BF or any other football related blog sites. Why? Well whilst 95% of you all are great, positive and optimistic supporters, there are always a few, the trolls I believe, who can be quite nasty, personal and hurtful. When a player starts out, the average punter expects far too much from them and some decide to vent their negative and vitriolic beliefs in a public forum.

The AFL gig is hard enough without uneducated, opinionated and cowardly people flinging mud through cyberspace.

Arcassius asked me, with Gen Y being Gen Y, if some of them surely Google their name and yes, Gen Y being narcissistic they love seeing what is happening.

But for my boys, that’s that outside noise. The fire and ice we like to flow between.

The people I can’t suggest or advise as strongly are younger family members, close friends and sometimes partners. More than once have I had a mum call me almost in tears because of what someone has spitefully typed onto a blog site that they have inadvertently read or their younger son has seen. The most recent one was just over two weeks ago. A mother whose son is trying to find his feet in the AFL but expected to be a super star the day he walked in the front door of the club. She won’t ever go to a blog site again.

By and large the Dockers site is pretty good. You all seem to shut down the trolls quickly which is a credit to you. Sure, you're all allowed to have opinions and are allowed to talk about below par performances, terrible losses and other things we wish never happen to our football team. That’s what these sites are for.

But just be careful what you say and especially about the young kids whose faces are not scarred yet, whose outlook on the game is still fresh and untainted and whose skin has not yet thickened.

One day that could be your son, your nephew or your grandson everyone is talking about and giving personal opinion on, online.

And if you see any young guns coming through the ranks destined for an AFL career let me know ok?

Regards,
Tim

Hey Arcassius, if you're still able to pass on our regards:

Thanks so much Tim, we are all immensely grateful, in fact that sounds pithy for how grateful I (and I'm sure others) are. It is so good to see the respect you (Tim) seem to have for the players, clubs and fans it's very endearing. It really is. So much so that I've got a 5 y/o son who is just getting into his ball sports and he loves footy right now. After reading your responses, I'm so impressed with your demeanour and approach, I've decided you can be his manager when he decides to nominate for the draft :)

But seriously, it can be a bit of risk to join an open forum like this, even through an intermediary but you've been open and respectful and hopefully you've found us that way too. Your last post should be required reading for anybody who wants to post in public forums/blogs/facebook etc. Unfortunately trolls being trolls would probably still not get it. You are wise to make sure your young boys stay away from social forum/blog etc. scene. But if parents do ever get upset, maybe this little encounter can remind you that most decent fans, even when their passions might get the better of them, are respectful good willed people who really appreciate the work and effort and all else that goes into being (or even getting close to being) a top flight footy player.

No reply required of course, just a thank you and best wishes.

Oh, and one more thing:

55282265.jpg

Hey Arcassius, if you're still able to pass on our regards:

Thanks so much Tim, we are all immensely grateful, in fact that sounds pithy for how grateful I (and I'm sure others) are. It is so good to see the respect you (Tim) seem to have for the players, clubs and fans it's very endearing. It really is. So much so that I've got a 5 y/o son who is just getting into his ball sports and he loves footy right now. After reading your responses, I'm so impressed with your demeanour and approach, I've decided you can be his manager when he decides to nominate for the draft :)

But seriously, it can be a bit of risk to join an open forum like this, even through an intermediary but you've been open and respectful and hopefully you've found us that way too. Your last post should be required reading for anybody who wants to post in public forums/blogs/facebook etc. Unfortunately trolls being trolls would probably still not get it. You are wise to make sure your young boys stay away from social forum/blog etc. scene. But if parents do ever get upset, maybe this little encounter can remind you that most decent fans, even when their passions might get the better of them, are respectful good willed people who really appreciate the work and effort and all else that goes into being (or even getting close to being) a top flight footy player.

No reply required of course, just a thank you and best wishes.

"Very kind words from PapaJ and please pass onto them all that I was preparing for the off barb - you expect that - but they were all great. Friendly, thoughtful and you can tell have the best interests of everything Freo at heart. I am on twitter @LawrenceTim and Instagram timlawrence01 but warn them that I'm not the most active. My insta pics are usually of every live game I'm attending then the odd one of the boys. Feel free to check out our website www.stridesports.com.au also - you will see we have a fair bit of freo talent on out books! There is also a Stride twitter and Facebook page if anyone ever wants to join."

Tim has been wonderful to talk to and I'm grateful to him for the opportunity to interact with the BF community. I mentioned to him that I was surprised how much he was willing to write, say and share - but am deeply appreciative of his contribution and it's clear how much he loves the boys he manages. Hopefully if anything, if what he has shared gives a fresh insight into the lives of the players (and the people in their lives) then I believe it's a success. Not that it will ever stop the trolling, quick judgement, or OUT: Pearce - but I do hope in some small way it makes a difference.

Interestingly, if anyone remembers when the Freo board nominees were invited to post on BF - the difference between that experience and this is stark. Shows how differently you are received when you choose to give instead of argue and defend ;) Hopefully Tim can (or would like to) contribute again in the future - and please follow him and support him.

Lastly, I'm still convinced Lachie has a nickname, and I'm sad estibador scared him off from his buddy ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This question became a whole lot funnier once I read the Stride Sports website.
Well it appears our club has a lot to do with these folks... The biggest names are all on their books. Good to know that such a guy is going to be playing a significant part in in the Dockers future. When you look at the names, all the contracts have been well dealt with and well ahead of time.

bump

Best thread in the history of the BF Freo board.

Fantastic stuff Arcassius and to Tim of course, (belatedly on my behalf).

Some here could do well to read Tim's sign off post in regards to the effect of what you say on hhere and how it can, AND DOES, AFFECT YOUNG AFL PLAYERS AND THEIR FAMILIES.

Also, a shout out to #Fremantlefootballclub and, especially, #LukeMorfesse...lighten up guys!

These kind of things bring a supporter base closer to the club.

If you want to portray yourself as a family club then ease up on the paranoia and control freak stuff, and grant sites like this more access and privilege.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back