Autopsy Rd 4 v Brisbane - Game Discussion and Changes for Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd love to see someone come up with a value per possession stat... Grigg would have to be the absolute worst accumulator in the game.

here is the thing though. His real value is that he becomes a successful disposal for someone else, 25+ times that he gets it and as you say, doesnt provide value. When you are in defence and are ****ed and looking for an out and there he is on his own on a wing and job done. Thats his value, it aint what he does with it, its what others have on offer to be able to get out of a bind. He knocks up offering himself up as a target and just keeps on doing it deep into a game.

Scrappy win. Conditions were tougher than what they looked. Brisbane flooded numbers back after we got away early making it tough for forwards.
Liked jacks game - looked a lot freer. Martin was useful in the forward line. Thought hampson was good. Thought Jackson was good. I must be the Lone Ranger but I didn't think grigg stank it up as bad as everyone here reckons. Thought vlas and arnott were good too as was Lloyd and even pettard! Ellis didn't do much wrong but didn't have a dynamic impact. I think some posters expect junior players to dominate week in and week out but unless they're an absolute freak, it's not going to happen. Wasn't a great game, but happy to get a win.
Griggs has some run but gets cheap possessions and doesn't do much with the ball. It's like he's at trainging drills

here is the thing though. His real value is that he becomes a successful disposal for someone else, 25+ times that he gets it and as you say, doesnt provide value. When you are in defence and are ****** and looking for an out and there he is on his own on a wing and job done. Thats his value, it aint what he does with it, its what others have on offer to be able to get out of a bind. He knocks up offering himself up as a target and just keeps on doing it deep into a game.

Not exactly he runs hard (one way) gets the ball, slows the game up, the other team flood back, we turn it over. His kicks move through the air slower than a player can run and he takes about 10 seconds to do anything. I can't think of a similar player in any good team in the last 10 years?

here is the thing though. His real value is that he becomes a successful disposal for someone else, 25+ times that he gets it and as you say, doesnt provide value. When you are in defence and are ****** and looking for an out and there he is on his own on a wing and job done. Thats his value, it aint what he does with it, its what others have on offer to be able to get out of a bind. He knocks up offering himself up as a target and just keeps on doing it deep into a game.
Exactly. And that's the thing, not everybody in the team has to be a champ, but the whipping boys (pettard, grigg, vickery, ellis, Thomas, Morris) play a useful role and when they're not playing their role effectively they're dropped (vickery). It'd be nice to have a team of champs, but it doesn't make a champ team. People seem to want and expect 18 players dominating every match or they call for their heads. You don't need to dominate to be effective.

Conca - I think he could be due for a breakout - he gets to a lot of contests. I'm very hopeful.......
I see conca improving each game still a bit to go but if keeps improving will be very valuable[/quote]

we forget that dudes like Conca are just kids. When and if he gets his tank up to the top shelf level and puts on another pre season of muscle he will be another wrecking ball that hurts opposition, seeing as he does it now anyway, so look out when he fills out.

No I watch the ******* game RT. I'm not just a stat analyzer.

**** sake man. Critical mistakes. How many did your stats throw up?

He's a terrible footballer. Makes critical errors, no feel for the game and crumbles under sever pressure.

Dimma loves a battler. This guy is his number one fan boy.
I agree hes made some dumb mistakes but have seen cotch and co make the mistakes as well. Before tonights game would probably had him out but credit due tonight

Not exactly he runs hard (one way) gets the ball, slows the game up, the other team flood back, we turn it over. His kicks move through the air slower than a player can run and he takes about 10 seconds to do anything. I can't think of a similar player in any good team in the last 10 years?

If anyone slows it up it's Jackson.

He is useful when playing close to goals where he knows before he gets it that all he has to do is stick it on his boot and aim for the goal square. Anywhere that he has to think and his Rhodes scholar brain goes into meltdown trying to decide what to do.

Grigg plays a loose, outside wingman role. Because of that everyone thinks he is soft. And from that, soft players do not belong in a Richmond team. We don't have a lot of other options for that kind of a player so I can live with him playing that role.

No I watch the ******* game RT. I'm not just a stat analyzer.

**** sake man. Critical mistakes. How many did your stats throw up?

He's a terrible footballer. Makes critical errors, no feel for the game and crumbles under sever pressure.

Dimma loves a battler. This guy is his number one fan boy.

Couldnt be farther from the truth, he thrives on hard pressure.
Also i would assume one of those clangers would have been the out of bounce on the full in the last quarter, and the ump pais deliberate for that. So in reality it was more like 1 clanger for the night.

Couldnt be farther from the truth, he thrives on hard pressure.
Also i would assume one of those clangers would have been the out of bounce on the full in the last quarter, and the ump pais deliberate for that. So in reality it was more like 1 clanger for the night.
I wouldn't go as far to say that he thrives under pressure. He does rush like a lot of AFL footballers do, but he doesn't crumble as TB said. I'd put him right in the average category when it comes to being able to deal with pressure.
The whole conception of Petterd's trouble with pressure comes from his kicking style. When he is under no pressure, he drops the ball high, but kicks it at a low point and hits his target. Under pressure, he drops it high, but he rushes and kicks it at a relatively high point, making the ball blast up high into the air. In this case, he more than likely turns it over.
I think that if Petterd can make his kicking action more cleaner and efficient, he and the team will severely benefit.

I'd love to see someone come up with a value per possession stat... Grigg would have to be the absolute worst accumulator in the game.

In 2012 Grigg created space and was such a deadly left foot kick he ended up being tagged. Teams worked him out in 2013, and his best game was a tagging role on Libba. What frustrates me is that he CAN be skilled and a weapon in the link up, but he has become complacent BECAUSE he knows he simply gets picked every week, irrespective of form. He ran around like a headless chook for 3 quarters and suddenly turned it on when the heat was off.

What he should be doing is causing headaches for opposition coaches, instead of Richmond supporters. He should be switching on BEFORE the game is decided and actually play a role in deciding the outcome. He has the ability, but Dimma clearly is waiting for him to return to 2012 form. A stint in the VFL may shrug off his complacency.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In 2012 Grigg created space and was such a deadly left foot kick he ended up being tagged. Teams worked him out in 2013, and his best game was a tagging role on Libba. What frustrates me is that he CAN be skilled and a weapon in the link up, but he has become complacent BECAUSE he knows he simply gets picked every week, irrespective of form. He ran around like a headless chook for 3 quarters and suddenly turned it on when the heat was off.

What he should be doing is causing headaches for opposition coaches, instead of Richmond supporters. He should be switching on BEFORE the game is decided and actually play a role in deciding the outcome. He has the ability, but Dimma clearly is waiting for him to return to 2012 form. A stint in the VFL may shrug off his complacency.
Don't get me started on his "look at me haircut."

Grigg was non-existent in the first half, and what do we see in the second half when we get going? A Grigg appears. In the later parts of the 2nd quarter he was at half back and kicked a VERY short pass to Jackson and Jackson had little to no opportunity to mark it and it becomes a contest. While Jackson and the Brisbane player compete for the ball, Grigg is 10m away holding onto the back of a Brisbane player and watching the ball and didn't even attempt to get around the player, like he's using the Brisbane player for protection. If we persist with this peanut we are going nowhere.
Also in the first half of the 2nd quarter, a Brisbane player was running through the corridor with ball in hand, Grigg is just jogging like a little pansy alongside him, not even breaking a sweat and didn't even attempt to smother the ball. Even Hampson can run faster than him, at least Hampson puts in effort to actually run.

Conca - I think he could be due for a breakout - he gets to a lot of contests. I'm very hopeful.......I see conca improving each game still a bit to go but if keeps improving will be very valuable
No doubt, he did very well and was very competitive and showed some spark by kicking an absolute bullet... however, he kicked it to thomas. Should expect a good game from him soon, hopefully against Hawthorn or Geelong.

If anyone slows it up it's Jackson.

He is useful when playing close to goals where he knows before he gets it that all he has to do is stick it on his boot and aim for the goal square. Anywhere that he has to think and his Rhodes scholar brain goes into meltdown trying to decide what to do.

Grigg plays a loose, outside wingman role. Because of that everyone thinks he is soft. And from that, soft players do not belong in a Richmond team. We don't have a lot of other options for that kind of a player so I can live with him playing that role.
Jackson was pretty good last night. When he had the ball he didn't rush things, he thought about what he was going to do.

Sorry to say it but Grigg is not a top 4 team player. It's not to say he might not scratch a game in these sides but he's holding us back.

We're trying to develop Vlas, Ellis, Lennon, Conc even Dusty and unfortunately it's Grigg, Petterd, Hampson, Thomas, Houli etc that are the middle tier grunt of our side that are tasked with teaching them. Cotch and Deledio haven't developed in an elite side themselves and need to worry about their own games first.

Our kids aren't running alongside Stevie J, Bartel, Mackie or Hodge and Mitchell and it's hurting us. We need to stop buying home brand and inject some real mature talent to change the team's mindset or come up with another theory altogether.
Great post No 11! Great post.

Sorry to say it but Grigg is not a top 4 team player. It's not to say he might not scratch a game in these sides but he's holding us back.

We're trying to develop Vlas, Ellis, Lennon, Conc even Dusty and unfortunately it's Grigg, Petterd, Hampson, Thomas, Houli etc that are the middle tier grunt of our side that are tasked with teaching them. Cotch and Deledio haven't developed in an elite side themselves and need to worry about their own games first.

Our kids aren't running alongside Stevie J, Bartel, Mackie or Hodge and Mitchell and it's hurting us. We need to stop buying home brand and inject some real mature talent to change the team's mindset or come up with another theory altogether.
Completely off topic but this was one of the reason why i thought a player like Chappy would suit us. Yes he may not play in our next premiership and yes he may be injury prone but what the younger players may have learnt from him would have been priceless. If another mature player from Hawks or Cats gets delisted i would i like to have a look if only for this reason. If Sewell gets delisted from the Hawks i would like to have a look but at the same time i wouldnt want him taking games away from our kids.

Watched the second half again this arvo & I don't recall Grigg making any glaring errors, in fact after we fell behind it was Grigg who sent a beautifully weighted pass that Jack didn't have to break stride for & a few minutes later speared a really difficult one on to Arnot's chest to put us three goals up.
Not saying he's a star, but he does do somethings right.

I don't think a lot of people understand but Grigg is an outside midfielder it's his job not to
1. Tackle
2. Man up
3. Be accountable
4. Hang out the back for the soft one.
He is the Scott Camporeale of the Richmond football club give the guy a break. He won't be dropped and he won't be subbed ever. He has missed one game in 3 and bit years!!!
Understand Grigg has the softest role of all our players. He's our opportunist. Problem with him at the moment is given he does not much else other than wait on other's doing the work, his disposal is dismal. Can't he at least pass it/kick it to advantage more often given not much else is asked of him?

Ah well, it appears that as Ricky isn't available to be dumped on it's back to the default setting, Grigg!:rolleyes:

Take away the dropped mark, clanger kick and no rush behind incident, and I think 1 other mistake and his night would have been sublime. Much nicer to have in the team than Grigg, Sheds, Newman.
Agree. Think a deep breath regards Petterd. Really gives us something. Yes has his clangers but I'm thinking Jackson. Petterd gives more than not. Certainly enough to leave in and improve on those clangers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back