Discussion Round 1 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

It wasn't my premise that was flawed. The only reason I mentioned those 3 Sydney guys is because some other posters above had used them as examples of why Membrey wasn't getting a game. I agree that he is a different type of player to them. But that only means that he was behind OTHER guys at Sydney- at least someone was keeping him out of the team for a full 2 years (except for that 1 game).

I fully acknowledge that he is still young, which clearly played a large part in why he hasn't played many games. I just don't understand how people can say he is a lock in a team when he has played 1 game coming into his 3rd year, especially when there are guys like Bruce who have played 24 games and at least shown something at AFL level. Not saying that Membrey won't ever show anything, but right now he is clearly behind Bruce, Lee and even White in terms of his proven ability at AFL level.

Membrey probably isn't competing with Bruce, Lee and White for a spot.

Similar role to what Bruce was playing towards the end of last year? That aggressive 3rd fwd?

Possible he'll ever rotate through the midfield?
Played as a mid as a younger kid, only moved forward due to a growth spurt.

Built like a truck.
It wasn't my premise that was flawed. The only reason I mentioned those 3 Sydney guys is because some other posters above had used them as examples of why Membrey wasn't getting a game. I agree that he is a different type of player to them. But that only means that he was behind OTHER guys at Sydney- at least someone was keeping him out of the team for a full 2 years (except for that 1 game).

I fully acknowledge that he is still young, which clearly played a large part in why he hasn't played many games. I just don't understand how people can say he is a lock in a team when he has played 1 game coming into his 3rd year, especially when there are guys like Bruce who have played 24 games and at least shown something at AFL level. Not saying that Membrey won't ever show anything, but right now he is clearly behind Bruce, Lee and even White in terms of his proven ability at AFL level.
I could not possibly disagree with you more, but hey, that's the fun of these forums...

Membrey probably isn't competing with Bruce, Lee and White for a spot.
I guess it depends on how you view his role, and the availability of spots. When I did my proposed Round 1 team, I had him behind Riewoldt, Billings, Montagna/Templeton, Lonie, Lee and Bruce in the starting 6. IMO the first 3 of those (Riewoldt, Billings and Templeton/Montagna) are locks, and I figure the team will need at least 1 more KPF if not 2, and another small forward. I would understand if Lonie or the 2nd KPF was replaced by Membrey, but just felt at this stage that Lee and Bruce have more runs on the board, and like what I've seen and heard about Lonie, who has only played 1 less game than Membrey.

Played as a mid as a younger kid, only moved forward due to a growth spurt.

Built like a truck.

I could not possibly disagree with you more, but hey, that's the fun of these forums...
Definitely agree that these type of discussions is exactly why this forum is so good! Which part don't you agree with?

Definitely agree that these type of discussions is exactly why this forum is so good! Which part don't you agree with?
The vibe... :D

But particularly two things; one, that he's behind Lee/Bruce/White even on the basis of proven AFL ability, because - like Perp - I think he's a wholly different player; and two, that he's not a lock.

He's a lock IMO because he's best suited to a role we desperately lack; 3rd tall forward with midfield potential. We've tried Siposs there with limited success, and we can't get Markworth on the park.

I may be overshooting here, but I suspect our recruiting of Membrey had at least some effect on our preference for Big Paddy over Petracca.

Framework

FB: The Stopper | The Beater | The Determined
HB: The Driver | The General | The Flexible
R: The Skyscraper | The Beast | The Soldier
C: The Skilled | The Champ | The Determined
HF: The Powerful | The Leader | The Silk
FF: The Pressure | The Attack | The Weapon

Seniors

FB: Dempster | Delaney | Geary
HB: Savage | Fisher | Webster
R: Hickey | Dunstan | Armitage
C: Montagna | Steven | Newnes
HF: Membrey | Riewoldt | Billings
FF: Lonie | Lee | Bruce
IC: Ross | Acres | Weller | Templeton

Reserves

FB: Roberton | Simpkin | Wright
HB: McKenzie | Goddard | Shenton
R: Longer | Curren | Minchington
C: Ray | Murdoch | Saunders
HF: Markworth | White | Schneider
FF: Saad | McCartin | Pierce
IC: Payne | Holmes | Sinclair

The guys I have highlighted in the ones are lucky
The guys I have highlighted in the twos are desperately unlucky​

The vibe... :D

But particularly two things; one, that he's behind Lee/Bruce/White even on the basis of proven AFL ability, because - like Perp - I think he's a wholly different player; and two, that he's not a lock.

He's a lock IMO because he's best suited to a role we desperately lack; 3rd tall forward with midfield potential. We've tried Siposs there with limited success, and we can't get Markworth on the park.

I may be overshooting here, but I suspect our recruiting of Membrey had at least some effect on our preference for Big Paddy over Petracca.
I agree that Membrey is a different type of player to Lee/Bruce/White, but not hugely different in my opinion. I say this on the basis that his likely role is still a tall forward as you point out (albeit a shorter one that plays more up the ground). To me, that suggests that he is at least going to be mentioned in the same sentence as the others at selection meetings, and right now they undisputedly have demonstrated more at AFL level in their careers thus far. But my main point which I maintain is that no player is ever going to be a lock in a spot (even if it is a need that the particular team has) after playing only 1 game over 2 years. So we may have to just agree to disagree on that point. :)

For what it's worth, I like him as a player, and would personally have him in the team ahead of both Bruce and Lee, although probably not White.

According to Gringo after the open training session, Lee told him that the one he was competing with for a spot in the team was Membrey, so that is presumably the 3rd tall role.

At this stage I certainly hope the older Tom is ahead in the pecking order, unless Membrey is just killing it, given that Lee is around 6cm taller, is quicker, more athletic, is a similarly outstanding shot for goal and sounds like he's going well this preseason.

I'd be happy to see Membrey in the no.4 role up forward though, like Hamill was so often for us (when we had Gehrig, Roo and Kosi in the 3 key roles). Would probably come down to how good he is with the defensive pressure and so-on though, an area that Sammy really blitzed in.

Last edited:
According to Gringo after the open training session, Lee told him that the one he was competing with for a spot in the team was Membrey, so that is presumably the 3rd tall role.

At this stage I certainly hope the older Tom is ahead in the pecking order, unless Membrey is just killing it, given that Lee is around 6cm taller, is quicker, more athletic, is a similarly outstanding shot for goal and sounds like he's going well this preseason.

I'd be happy to see Membrey in the no.4 role up forward though, like Hamill was so often for us (when we had Gehrig, Roo and Kosi in the 3 key roles). Would probably come down to how good he is with the defensive pressure and so-on though, an area that Sammy really blitzed in.

That would be nice having him link up as a sort of 4th tall leading out a long way from goal and setting up play. We should be working out how WCEs play Darling too as he's got similar strengths and weaknesses.

That would be nice having him link up as a sort of 4th tall leading out a long way from goal and setting up play. We should be working out how WCEs play Darling too as he's got similar strengths and weaknesses.

While Im stoked we got Newnes out of the deal this is the exact role that Tommy Lynch has been fantastic at with Adelaide.

Aside from a couple of freak injuries he has basically been a lock as that high half forward/tall wingman role.

B: Geary Delaney Dempster
HB: Roberton Fisher Savage
C: Newnes Steven Templeton
HF: Montagna Riewoldt Billings
F: Saad Lee Membrey
R: Longer Armitage Weller
I: Dunstan Webster Ross Acres

A couple of points:
- Roberton vs Bruce was a tough call. Rebound vs versatility. Went rebound.
- Weller vs Curren. Only room for one IMO.. Weller gets a bit more footy and bigger body.
- Taking the risk on one ruck but adding more run.
- Lee vs Paddy vs Spence. Tough call but Lee looks cherry ripe. The other to look further behind in terms of fitness.
- Webster vs Acres vs Ray. Room for two. Went for the guys with better skills/decision making ability. I have s feeling this is Ray's last year with us and he will play a lot of rezzies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Geary Delaney Dempster
HB: Roberton Fisher Savage
C: Newnes Steven Templeton
HF: Montagna Riewoldt Billings
F: Saad Lee Membrey
R: Longer Armitage Weller
I: Dunstan Webster Ross Acres

A couple of points:
- Roberton vs Bruce was a tough call. Rebound vs versatility. Went rebound.
- Weller vs Curren. Only room for one IMO.. Weller gets a bit more footy and bigger body.
- Taking the risk on one ruck but adding more run.
- Lee vs Paddy vs Spence. Tough call but Lee looks cherry ripe. The other to look further behind in terms of fitness.
- Webster vs Acres vs Ray. Room for two. Went for the guys with better skills/decision making ability. I have s feeling this is Ray's last year with us and he will play a lot of rezzies.

Like your rationale, TLE. Just came to different conclusions.

Versatility is worth double points - particularly when you can go forward, back or in the ruck. Like the idea of run over the extra ruck, but as you said it leaves us vulnerable to in-game injury, as does a small-ish forward line. So Bruce just over Roberton, but really glad Robbo's back. Gilbert would be ahead of both if fit.

Liked Lee's game but loved seeing White take a big mark and show some tricks. (Agree it's a close call and 2cms taller helps a bit too.)

You left Shenton out of the half-back equation. He was excellent I thought, and again adds versatility.

B: Jarryn Geary, Luke Delaney, Sean Dempster
HB: Cam Shenton, Sam Fisher, Shane Savage,
C: David Armitage, Luke Dunstan, Jimmy Webster
HF: Jack Billings, Nick Riewoldt, Leigh Montagna
F: Ahmed Saad, Spencer White, Tim Membrey
R: Tom Hickey, Jack Steven, Jack Newnes
I/C: Mav Weller, Seb Ross, Eli Templeton, Josh Bruce
Emerg: Billy Longer, Tom Curren, Dylan Roberton

Assuming Hickey and Steven ready

Last edited:
Like you rationale, TLE. Just came to different conclusions.

Versatility is worth double points - particularly when you can go forward, back or in the ruck. Like you said, one ruck leaves us vulnerable to in-game injury, as does a small-ish forward line.

Liked Lee's game but loved seeing White take a big mark and show some tricks. (Agree it's a close call and 2cms taller helps a bit too.)

You left Shenton out of the half-back equation. He was excellent I thought, and again adds versatility.

B: Jarryn Geary, Luke Delaney, Sean Dempster
HB: Cam Shenton, Sam Fisher, Shane Savage,
C: David Armitage, Luke Dunstan, Jimmy Webster
HF: Jack Billings, Nick Riewoldt, Leigh Montagna
F: Ahmed Saad, Spencer White, Tim Membrey
R: Tom Hickey, Jack Steven, Jack Newnes
I/C: Mav Weller, Seb Ross, Eli Templeton, Josh Bruce
Emerg: Billy Longer, Tom Curren, Dylan Roberton

Assuming Hickey and Steven ready

I know this is a best 22 thread but I felt an eye for the future was also needed. I like Cam however he's a battler and we need to get games into Acres and Webster. Even at their young age their poise is noticeable.

I flipped the coin with Lee and Spence. White just not fit enough to play regular games in the 1's, at this point anyway. Lee I feel with a full pre season behind him will far exceed expectations. Gut feel. Lee also while not a desired second ruck is still capable of taking a few mins a quarter. He was trialled there last year with limited success....still offers some versatility and more than White.

My 22 has a best kick theme. The suspect kicks get minus double points so favouring those that can kick and/or scope for improvement with more experience.

I know this is a best 22 thread but I felt an eye for the future was also needed. I like Cam however he's a battler and we need to get games into Acres and Webster. Even at their young age their poise is noticeable.

I flipped the coin with Lee and Spence. White just not fit enough to play regular games in the 1's, at this point anyway. Lee I feel with a full pre season behind him will far exceed expectations. Gut feel. Lee also while not a desired second ruck is still capable of taking a few mins a quarter. He was trialled there last year with limited success....still offers some versatility and more than White.

My 22 has a best kick theme. The suspect kicks get minus double points so favouring those that can kick and/or scope for improvement with more experience.

I'm not sure that's a very fair assessment of Shenton. He comes from the state leagues and is mature but he can play. His best is very good and according to Cameron he is much fitter. He struggled to step up from VFL to seniors at first with cramping and lack of endurance but if he can play his best footy consistently he's best 22 in a lot of AFL clubs. I'm really looking forward to what he can produce with an increased fitness base.

FB - Dempster - Delaney - Webster
HB - Roberton - Fisher - Savage
C - Newnes - Armitage - Geary
HF - Templeton - Riewoldt - Membrey
FF - Billings - Lee - Bruce
R - Hickey - Weller - Steven
I - Montagna - Dunstan - Ross
S - Acres

Assuming they are fit and ready of course.

Last edited:
I know this is a best 22 thread but I felt an eye for the future was also needed....

Maybe just whack Paddy in there at full-forward, then. ;)

FB - Dempster - Delaney - Webster
HB - Roberton - Fisher - Savage
C - Newnes - Armitage - Geary
HF - Templeton - Riewoldt - Membrey
FF - Billings - Lee - Bruce
R - Hickey - Weller - Steven
I - Billings - Dunstan - Ross
S - Acres

Assuming they are fit and ready of course.

No Joey?

Maybe just whack Paddy in there too, then. ;)

?

I was close to it believe me. I suspect if he has an injury free year then he will feature quite a bit in the 1's. I wouldn't be surprised if he plays 15 games.

I'm not sure that's a very fair assessment of Shenton. He comes from the state leagues and is mature but he can play. His best is very good and according to Cameron he is much fitter. He struggled to step up from VFL to seniors at first with cramping and lack of endurance but if he can play his best footy consistently he's best 22 in a lot of AFL clubs. I'm really looking forward to what he can produce with an increased fitness base.

Maybe not but we have our favourites its human nature. I like the guys style just think he has many shortcomings. I like his run however not his lack of poise. I hope I'm wrong I would love all our players to become quality players.

Ahhh damn it!

Had him on the wing then realised I left Weller out so moved some pieces.

Put him in for one of the two Billings' that I have there haha

Ahhh damn it!

Had him on the wing then realised I left Weller out so moved some pieces.

Put him in for one of the two Billings' that I have there haha
When the coaches are moving the magnets around during a game, or rubbing names out and re-writing them in a different position, that sort of thing must happen ALL the time!

"Err, excuse me coach. You've got me in two positions ..... "

With Fisher and Gears fit it seams like we have too many back flankers again. It makes sense playing Roberton as a KP defender. When Gilberts fit their gona try fit him into the team too... Can they try play Shenton through the middle.. With his form how can they not play him. Same goes for Webster, knowing how good he plays in defence.. Could he play in the middle.. Gears could push up. Then theres Wright that will push for selection. Savage.. They cant all be in the team... i guess the players that really stand out will get called up... The great thing is that Fisher, Dempster, Gilbert wont go around for too many years and we will have ready made replacements.. but theres going to be some pretty good players lining up for sandy this year.

Hate to be picky but I will be anyway and say the only time Membrey is a Tom is when he is in New Zealand. :cool:

I would be genuinely surprised if he isn't selected in round one, even as that 4th forward.

Framework

FB: The Stopper | The Beater | The Determined
HB: The Driver | The General | The Flexible
R: The Skyscraper | The Beast | The Soldier
C: The Skilled | The Champ | The Determined
HF: The Powerful | The Leader | The Silk
FF: The Pressure | The Attack | The Weapon

Seniors

FB: Dempster | Delaney | Geary
HB: Savage | Fisher | Webster
R: Hickey | Dunstan | Armitage
C: Montagna | Steven | Newnes
HF: Membrey | Riewoldt | Billings
FF: Lonie | Lee | Bruce
IC: Ross | Acres | Weller | Templeton

Reserves

FB: Roberton | Simpkin | Wright
HB: McKenzie | Goddard | Shenton
R: Longer | Curren | Minchington
C: Ray | Murdoch | Saunders
HF: Markworth | White | Schneider
FF: Saad | McCartin | Pierce
IC: Payne | Holmes | Sinclair

The guys I have highlighted in the ones are lucky
The guys I have highlighted in the twos are desperately unlucky​

Saad beats Lonie any day. Just too much class there. Don't write him off so early. I like your framework idea, but it doesn't describe the bench strategy - so just share that as well.

Lee or White - I would prefer White at least earlier.

Also, you are suggesting a 1 ruck option of Hickey with lee as backup?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back